Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Every one of my WISC teams is playing below it's pythag.

Every. Single. One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Worst division draw ever

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/view.asp?lid=97398

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Lazerhawks in the same league to boot.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Lazerhawks in the same league to boot.

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15701193&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10 :(

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Well he got a AAA dude named Brandon Cornman. You were doomed from the start.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15703872&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95

:negative:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Three straight 1-5 updates, my WISC teams are tanking so loving hard. The top four have such a huge lead right now that unless they all tank in the playoffs it's going to be nearly impossible to catch any of them in round two.

My pythag win total is 486. My actual win total is 447. I give up.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Three straight 1-5 updates, my WISC teams are tanking so loving hard. The top four have such a huge lead right now that unless they all tank in the playoffs it's going to be nearly impossible to catch any of them in round two.

My pythag win total is 486. My actual win total is 447. I give up.
Fret not, your pitchers are in much better shape than mine are I'm sure. I had three consecutive 1-5 updates last week which I lamented in this thread, then rebounded with two straight Schwarzes. At least you have room to slip slightly. I'm currently in 23rd place with only two sure-fire playoff teams!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I made something. Everyone go sign up.

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=444836&TopicsTimeframe=30

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Hey pecota, looks like you'll have to meet my speed team juggernaut in the first round of the champs and chumps playoffs.

Please don't sweep me

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ArtVandelay posted:

Hey pecota, looks like you'll have to meet my speed team juggernaut in the first round of the champs and chumps playoffs.

Please don't sweep me

We're in the same division, that can't happen. Also my team ERA is 4.74.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Also Pecota hasn't clinched yet

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Also Pecota hasn't clinched yet

Now he has!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This team is pretty close to the best i've ever made. Gotta love annoying speed teams!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

This team is pretty close to the best i've ever made. Gotta love annoying speed teams!

If 'love' in this context is a synonym for 'stab' then I completely agree

Death to speed teams doubles forever

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

To be fair, Art's team wasn't successful because it was a speed team.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

To be fair, Art's team wasn't successful because it was a speed team.

I made an awesome pitching staff. Who knew I had it in me?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Also a top 10 OPS and a top 5 OBP. Your years were so good even you couldn't Art it up.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
None of my pitchers were quite 100%, so I present to you Glendon Rusch, staff ace.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Oh hey I moved into first in the WISC, cool

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Haha, I can't believe I'm in the CS of RC&C with my awful awful rotation. Looking over it, I wonder what happened to Jim Hardin. 2.19 BB/9, 2.25 BB/9#, 5.24 BB/9 during the regular season. I had him at like a 75/85 TPC/MPC, too.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

WISC outlook with 17 games left to play:

70m: 98-47 record, already clinched the division. I would give the starting pitchers a break, but every win counts so they've gotta keep winning.

80m: 73-72 record, 14 games out of 1st in the division and 20 out of the wild card so this team is done. Pitching fatigue wrecked them early on and I'm surprised they held it together this long.

90m: 75-70 record, currently in a three-way tie for first place in the division and only two games behind the current wild card leader. There are an amazing 8 teams within 3 games of each other in this half of the league so the divisional games at the end of the year are going to be crucial. I have a rested Milacki ready to pounce. I need to make the playoffs here to offset some disappointments in other leagues.

100m: 80-65 record, in first place by 10 games with a magic number of 8. These guys should slide into the playoffs without any issues.

110m: 74-71 records, 15 games out of 1st and 6 games out of the wild card, albeit with 4 teams to jump to make that happen. I'm completely rested in this league but I don't expect any sort of late season run.

120m: 66-79 record, never gained any traction all season. My pitchers were alright but the hitters didn't produce at all, which is discouraging given some of the names I used. I have a rested Milacki so I'll try to poach as many wins as I can against teams that are close to me in WISC ranking.

So overall, not too bad. Two definite playoff teams, one that's in a dogfight for a spot, and three that are going to miss. I have no idea if that's good enough to advance but we'll see.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

FWIW, every owner that made it to round 2 last year had at least 3 playoff teams. One owner had 4 playoff teams and finished 26th. You really, really want that third playoff team.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

FWIW, every owner that made it to round 2 last year had at least 3 playoff teams. One owner had 4 playoff teams and finished 26th. You really, really want that third playoff team.
That's what I figured. Everyone on that team is at 100% so I can't blame stamina if I miss it. Hopefully Milacki comes through.

Speaking of which, I've never used Milacki. How many games is he good for? The last three series are all 4-game sets against the other division opponents so I'm waiting for that time to pull him out, but I don't want to leave any innings on the table bringing him out so late.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Just finished off Hijinx's team, now looks like we're set to play each other for the series, Pecota.

I'm terrified that you're going to win this.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Play it live and get it over with.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Play it live and get it over with.

I will not make that mistake again :v:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Talk about punishing an error

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Live owns, anyone who dislikes Live can get out

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
WISC Update for me

$70m (84-63): I have a 15 game division lead and my magic number is 1.
$80m (101-46): I have a 19 game division lead and have clinched.
$90m (95-52): I have a 17 game division lead and have clinched.
$100m (85-62): I have a 6 game division lead and another 4 on the WC.
$110m (91-56): I have an 8 game division lead and another 8 on the WC, so I've clinched a playoff berth.
$120m (86-61): Tied for the division, we both have a 5 game WC lead.

I'd really like to make all six to get some space on the field for round two. The $120m has played really weird but I do have a pretty good lead there now...

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd really like to make all six to get some space on the field for round two. The $120m has played really weird but I do have a pretty good lead there now...
Is round 2 just an extension of round 1? Or do the points reset? Not that I anticipate joining you there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

Is round 2 just an extension of round 1? Or do the points reset? Not that I anticipate joining you there.

Round 2 points count double.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Round 1 points are weighted 1/3rd, round 2 points weighted 2/3rds.

e: beaten

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

<BobShabazz> my god
<BobShabazz> it's beautiful

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Pedro :unsmith:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

ughhhhhhh. Yes, that's right Sparky, put in my awful mopup guy with the lead in the 9th when there are several other relievers available. There is literally no reason he should have been put in and allowed to blow the game open like this.

Anyway WiS hates me and never wants me to win another world series, and i'm about to get beaten by Pecota in the 2nd round again, so lets play Live if you're around.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

ughhhhhhh. Yes, that's right Sparky, put in my awful mopup guy with the lead in the 9th when there are several other relievers available. There is literally no reason he should have been put in and allowed to blow the game open like this.

Anyway WiS hates me and never wants me to win another world series, and i'm about to get beaten by Pecota in the 2nd round again, so lets play Live if you're around.

If you're around soon, I'll be in IRC for a while.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

If you're around soon, I'll be in IRC for a while.

I'm on Live right now, let's do it.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Pecota is a real big jerk face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

ArtVandelay posted:

Pecota is a real big jerk face.