Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just note that it varies from state to state. Here in CT you have to prove your classes will not interfere with finding work etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"

Vasudus posted:

Just note that it varies from state to state. Here in CT you have to prove your classes will not interfere with finding work etc.

I meant to add that. This is ONLY a Washington thing that I'm talking about. I have no clue about any other state.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jaysus posted:

I meant to add that. This is ONLY a Washington thing that I'm talking about. I have no clue about any other state.

I'll have to hit you up after I get back to Everett. I am heading into the same boat and I'd like to get the run down before I head to the unemployment office.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Whoops, fell off the first page. Can't let that happen.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
With this new coverage of vocational schools being implemented, it raises a few questions. The main one being, will I still get BAH and have the school completely covered as if it were a public university?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

With this new coverage of vocational schools being implemented, it raises a few questions. The main one being, will I still get BAH and have the school completely covered as if it were a public university?

Yes, you should have everything covered provided you're 100%. The BAH would work just like any regular school - your start and end dates are plugged into VA-ONCE and you will get paid accordingly; partial months are prorated.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Vasudus posted:

Yes, you should have everything covered provided you're 100%. The BAH would work just like any regular school - your start and end dates are plugged into VA-ONCE and you will get paid accordingly; partial months are prorated.

Ballin'. I know you're just the messenger but goddamn you always deliver good news.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone else have a hosed up billing department that can never correctly process their post 9/11 GI Bill?

It'd be nice if the vet's association here wasn't composed of ROTC kids and stopped worrying about painting some fruity mural and more about getting the fundamental veterans stuff squared away.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Ballin'. I know you're just the messenger but goddamn you always deliver good news.

There will never not be good news about not being in the military and getting paid by the VA to go to college. Never. They could have a program where you had to physically appear at the VA office and get slapped in the face in order to receive your check and it would still be better. It would still be better with half the money.

It would still be better with no money, at least it would only be once a month.

SneakySnake posted:

ROTC kids about painting some fruity mural

I see ROTC kids walking around my campus every day and I just can't help snickering quietly to myself with an air of smugness. I actually got a stink-eye from what 2 seconds of googling has identified to me as a CADET CAPTAIN (CPT). Yeah sorry I privately mocked you because you look like a loving tool and probably are because you're going to be an officer.

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I usually cock salute them.

When is everyone slated to receive their BAH? Friday the 30th, or October 1?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

You should get it on the 30th. USAA pays you a day before, so I received mine today.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

t_bright posted:

I usually cock salute them.

When is everyone slated to receive their BAH? Friday the 30th, or October 1?

Last working day of the month, always. In this case it is tomorrow. If you have USAA, you should be paid today.

edit:efb

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I got my BAH, but I was under the impression that it was supposed to include my kicker. Is that a separate transaction or did they lower my payments and not tell me?

rysfade
Mar 31, 2009
Just read through most of the thread this morning and saw answers that loosely applied, but not directly. Sorry if I missed something relevant.

I'm getting out in less than a year now, and planning on attending school out of state. I have some credits from before I joined six years ago, and some from during that period (both from actual college and military schools), so I'll be a transfer wherever I end up.

My problem is mostly what to do about the out-of-state tuition. As far as I know neither of my top two states (CA and OR) waive the higher cost for veterans. Is it worth it to attend a CC for a year while establishing residency? Also, does anyone know if states handle residency for Reserve members in their state any differently (I'm planning on switching over when done with active duty) Ideally I'd call the school, but I'm deployed until the end of the year so I've been trying to answer questions via internet sleuthing.

Reading through this thread has been super helpful, so thanks to everyone that's been posting!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

In OR, they have a waiver to make it less than non-resident but more expensive than the resident rate. Come this fall, as a non-resident, my yellow ribbon would only cover fall before I would have been forced to dip into Stafford Loans. Pretty much three options if you're going to someplace that costs more than instate tuition.

1) Yellow Ribbon, see how much it'll cover the out of state fees.
2) Pell Grant and Stafford Loans
3) Voc Rehab if you qualify.

Otherwise, you have to wait a year to establish residency. I'm pretty sure you can't be in school during that year period(moving for the sole purpose of education).

I also know that if you're drilling in the Guard for Oregon, you are considered a resident. Not sure of the reserves but I'm betting they are similar. That might be your best bet TBO.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It also depends on which institution you are planning on attending, Yellow Ribbon is done at the school level. School A might cover $99,999.99 dollars a semester (unlimited) while School B might only have $5,000.00/semester.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

rysfade posted:

trying to answer questions via internet sleuthing.

Were I you I would actually start emailing Admissions for various schools in the states which you're looking at. A lot of places have little-advertised or case-by-case policies for stuff like this, and usually staff at that school are the only ones who are really going to know about them.

Just remember that in a year sometimes policies can change, so you'll have to plan accordingly. Still more information is better information.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

God drat you, USAA. No BAH yet. Glad I have a poo poo ton in my account, but I like to see it grow!

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I was starting to get worried for a second, but no one got paid yet. I got my august back pay yesterday, just shy of $300, and momentarily freaked thinking that was all I was going to get.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

McNally posted:

I got my BAH, but I was under the impression that it was supposed to include my kicker. Is that a separate transaction or did they lower my payments and not tell me?

Didn't catch this the first read.

My BAH is likely not correct either, my kicker appears to be either missing or miscalculated. Gonna call Buffalo on Monday and ask them.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I wish I was going to be getting BAH soon. Still no certificate. Still in queue according to the VA.

I did get an e-mail from the school to my student e-mail account that they have sent my enrollment info to the VA.

I'm guessing I won't see a dime for books / BAH until December. The back pay will be nice when it gets here (x2 because husband is using GI Bill too)! :)

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

LonsomeSon posted:

Were I you I would actually start emailing Admissions for various schools in the states which you're looking at.

Yes, do this. My school gives all veterans the in-state rate no matter what but that info wasn't readily available anywhere. Asking the school directly is the way to go.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I just came home from school to find 7 checks from the Department of Treasury in my mailbox, all for varying amounts:

$34.56
$41.67
$125.00
$125.00
$166.67
$166.67
$1339.20

totaling :woop: $1998.77 :dance:

Is it because they submitted my benefits claim all funky earlier this month?

Confirmation - Enrollment Information Sent to VA posted:

An enrollment certification for the period(s) below has been submitted to the VA. 8/25/2011 to 12/16/2011 for Credit Hours: 3, Distance Hours: 0 8/26/2011 to 10/14/2011 for Credit Hours: 1, Distance Hours: 0 8/29/2011 to 12/13/2011 for Credit Hours: 4, Distance Hours: 0 8/30/2011 to 12/16/2011 for Credit Hours: 4, Distance Hours: 0 10/26/2011 to 12/15/2011 for Credit Hours: 3, Distance Hours: 0 This was submitted by a certifying official from the MILWAUKEE AREA TECH COLLEGE (MATC) on 9/14/2011. Your claim will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this message.

E-5 BAH w/ Dependants is $1296.00 for my schools zip code (53202).

I figure that the $500 book stipend is in there, too. When it's deducted I'm sitting at $1498.77 for BAH. Minus the $1296 we come to $202.77. Maybe the $202.77 is for the last few days of August since my first class started on the 25th.

I'm on hold with the VA regional line. Hopefully they can shed some light. I don't want to cash a check I'm not supposed to have.

So.. Thoughts? Also, how do you switch to direct deposit?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
1-888-442-4551.

Also yeah, it's probably due to your retarded certifying official.

rysfade
Mar 31, 2009
Thanks guys, sent e-mails off today. Now just to wait for responses...

Someone at work today mentioned switching state of residence through finance while still in; will schools even consider that for residency, since you're military and still living somewhere else at the time?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I didn't get my direct deposit for September yet; is anyone else still waiting on this? It should have arrived last night.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I start a class mid October. I dropped off my FAFSA verification at the school after completing it. I was told it takes 10 weeks. I should be fine until it gets processed but is this standard time or should I get a VA rep to push it through?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

rysfade posted:

Thanks guys, sent e-mails off today. Now just to wait for responses...

Someone at work today mentioned switching state of residence through finance while still in; will schools even consider that for residency, since you're military and still living somewhere else at the time?

It's about ten times easier to claim residency if you have that state listed on your DD214.

HClChicken posted:

I start a class mid October. I dropped off my FAFSA verification at the school after completing it. I was told it takes 10 weeks. I should be fine until it gets processed but is this standard time or should I get a VA rep to push it through?

So you just dropped off your FAFSA? It takes awhile, maybe not 10 weeks but it isn't exactly speedy. VA certification takes ~2 weeks once entered into VA-ONCE.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Vasudus posted:

It's about ten times easier to claim residency if you have that state listed on your DD214.

So you just dropped off your FAFSA? It takes awhile, maybe not 10 weeks but it isn't exactly speedy. VA certification takes ~2 weeks once entered into VA-ONCE.

I filled out my FAFSA a while back. They have some FAFSA verification form, and they required my tax forms from prior year.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HClChicken posted:

I filled out my FAFSA a while back. They have some FAFSA verification form, and they required my tax forms from prior year.

Oh, that thing. Yeah that takes a few weeks at least.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
If I'm still in my first year out, actually, first six months, would I qaulify for FAFSA since I made money last year?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

front wing flexing posted:

If I'm still in my first year out, actually, first six months, would I qaulify for FAFSA since I made money last year?

You mean the Pell Grant? The FAFSA is what you fill out in order to determine eligibility for grants and loans. I got out 6 months into a year as an E-5 and still got a Pell Grant, probably about half of the maximum. Thank goodness for not counting BAH as income ;)

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

moker posted:

You mean the Pell Grant? The FAFSA is what you fill out in order to determine eligibility for grants and loans. I got out 6 months into a year as an E-5 and still got a Pell Grant, probably about half of the maximum. Thank goodness for not counting BAH as income ;)

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info.

I'm still curious if I'll qualify with my VA disability every month.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info.

I'm still curious if I'll qualify with my VA disability every month.

You should, though at a reduced rate. It's considered non-taxable income. I personally think it's bullshit that we have to list it, but rules are rules :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

You should, though at a reduced rate. It's considered non-taxable income. I personally think it's bullshit that we have to list it, but rules are rules :(

Do we??? :stare:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

moker posted:

Do we??? :stare:

Yes, under non-taxed income. There is a field that specifically lists something along the lines of "Veteran's compensation" or some such.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

Yes, under non-taxed income. There is a field that specifically lists something along the lines of "Veteran's compensation" or some such.

Oh ok, I'm only 10% anyways so hopefully I don't get boned too hard. I doubt making <200 a month would exactly jump me into some other bracket

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

moker posted:

Oh ok, I'm only 10% anyways so hopefully I don't get boned too hard. I doubt making <200 a month would exactly jump me into some other bracket

I'm 50% and they ding me down to 4700 from 5500. You should be dropped to maybe 5300? or less.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Welp, haven't received the BAH.

I emailed my VA guy and am waiting for his response. Should I call the number you posted?

1-888-442-4551.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jaysus posted:

Welp, haven't received the BAH.

I emailed my VA guy and am waiting for his response. Should I call the number you posted?

1-888-442-4551.

Yes. That number is the national number (GI BILL 1) but served out of Buffalo, the RPO for the northeast. They can help you find where the problem is.

Chances are it's certificate fuckery between your school and the VA. At least they will confirm it.

• Locked thread