Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Yep. The relaunched 2005 series respects the history of all of the other Doctor Who series, but starts off with the assumption that you have no knowledge of the Dr. Who universe whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

jackpot posted:

I'm in search of new (to me) TV to watch: if I wanted to dive into Dr. Who (without starting all the way at the very beginning), where do I start? It's hard to know since the show's been on since somewhere around 1942. I assume I should just start with the 2005 version?

That's where I would start. If you become addicted, you can always go back and start at the very beginning.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Gravity Pike posted:

What's the etiquette surrounding interviewing for a job that I'm not sure that I want? I'm working at a small business right now, and I really like my boss and all of my coworkers, but was just contacted out of the blue by a Microsoft recruiter who still had my resume on file from when I was looking for work a year and a half ago. I really like my current job, but I know that there are things that Microsoft could offer that I'd just never get here in terms of money, benefits, and education opportunities. Would it be bad form to interview for the MS job, and then turn it down if it were offered and I decided that I didn't want it?

It's fine, I've do this quite a few times. There won't be any hard feelings from their part, on the other hand, it's likely that, should you pass, they will either make a better proposal for you now or down the road in a few months. Actually, I did exactly this with my current employer. Passed the interviews and refused the job, then an year later got a better proposal and took it.

Either way, good lucky.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
Let me know if this question belongs somewhere else: I'm trying to find the names of two music videos I've seen; I don't know the artists, and searching by topic really doesn't work.

1. A dark, creepy music video with some sort of monster, human/eel hybrid in a tank. The music pulses with what I assume is electricity.

2. A music video that starts with a guy being saved from death by a stranger, only to start seeing "countdowns" above other peoples' heads; when a person's countdown reaches zero, he/she dies.

If anyone could help me it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the 2010/2011 NFC wildcard game between the Saints and Seahawks, why were they playing in Seattle? The Saints had a better record and they beat the Seahawks in regular season, so why didn't the Saints get home field advantage?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

One of a Kind posted:

1. A dark, creepy music video with some sort of monster, human/eel hybrid in a tank. The music pulses with what I assume is electricity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nBXrNcayE

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

One of a Kind posted:

2. A music video that starts with a guy being saved from death by a stranger, only to start seeing "countdowns" above other peoples' heads; when a person's countdown reaches zero, he/she dies.

If anyone could help me it'd be greatly appreciated :)
Mr.Hotkeys (heh) beat me to the first (awesome) video so I have to give you the loving nickleback video link. Sigh; I remembered seeing it, but couldn't remember who did it, but someone paid google answers $2 to find out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JQiEs32SqQ

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

SkunkDuster posted:

In the 2010/2011 NFC wildcard game between the Saints and Seahawks, why were they playing in Seattle? The Saints had a better record and they beat the Seahawks in regular season, so why didn't the Saints get home field advantage?

The Seahawks won their crap division

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is there a specific thread for micro/SD card recommendations and the like?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What type of program would you guys suggest for capturing video from my webcam? (Windows 7 Prof)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

computer parts posted:

Is there a specific thread for micro/SD card recommendations and the like?
That's a tough one. On the one hand I'm tempted to send you to the Camera Gear thread, because they deal with SD cards. On the other, MicroSD cards are used in phones most often, and so you'd probably do better in the Inspect Your Gadgets forum. Then again there's always the Generic Hardware Thread in SH/SC, and those guys would probably know what they're talking about, too.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
Thanks you two, both are exactly what I was looking for :) (and can you see why I couldn't just google that first one, ugh)

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

A quick question for anyone who is working or has worked at a fast food restaurant. Are the salads typically available early in the morning right after the place opens? If it's a 24 hour place like Jack-in-the-Box, are the salads available all the time and would they be kept reasonably fresh?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I'm pretty sure most places have their salads made elsewhere and just keep them in the fridge until someone orders and then add anything warm or whatever, so yea they're the same for the most part.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Today I was watching a DVD on my PS3 and it started freaking out: pausing, speeding up, rewinding, etc. I'm thinking it's getting interference from something, but I have not idea what; I haven't gotten any new neighbors in the last few days. Is it possible to change the channel that controllers use so that doesn't happen?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Jive One posted:

A quick question for anyone who is working or has worked at a fast food restaurant. Are the salads typically available early in the morning right after the place opens? If it's a 24 hour place like Jack-in-the-Box, are the salads available all the time and would they be kept reasonably fresh?
I worked at Wendy's about 12 years ago. We preped the salads in the morning and were generally done before opening unless we were behind. Sometimes between lunch and dinner we made more salads if we didn't have enough for dinner.

As far as trucking them in that wasn't done and I can't imagine most places do that. The lettuce and other ingredients would start to go bad within a day or two of being prepped and trucks generally came once a week.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Is there some website out there where you can enter some text and it can tell you approximately what grade level the text is at approximately?

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Florida Betty posted:

Is there some website out there where you can enter some text and it can tell you approximately what grade level the text is at approximately?

http://www.online-utility.org/english/readability_test_and_improve.jsp

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Florida Betty posted:

quote:

Indication of the number of years of formal education that a person requires in order to easily understand the text on the first reading
Gunning Fog index : 13.48

Approximate representation of the U.S. grade level needed to comprehend the text :
Coleman Liau index : 9.32
Flesch Kincaid Grade level : 13.16
ARI (Automated Readability Index) : 12.58
SMOG : 10.75

Flesch Reading Ease : 47.04

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
What steps should I take to remove startsear.ch from my computer? Incautiously downloaded as part of VShare.

e. On a more positive note apparently I'm eligible for a Green Card

e2. thanks pogo the clown

Harvey Wine Time fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 26, 2011

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Should I watch Clueless or a documentary about pyramids tonight?

On the one hand, Clueless is pretty drat funny and sweet, but I'll learn stuff from the documentary.

On the other, there isn't really all that NEW stuff to know about pyramids, are there? I mean, they're big and square (at least seen from above), used to contain dead people, and probably weren't built by aliens.

Guide me, goons!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

brylcreem posted:

Should I watch Clueless or a documentary about pyramids tonight?

On the one hand, Clueless is pretty drat funny and sweet, but I'll learn stuff from the documentary.

On the other, there isn't really all that NEW stuff to know about pyramids, are there? I mean, they're big and square (at least seen from above), used to contain dead people, and probably weren't built by aliens.

Guide me, goons!

Clueless all the way. You can learn plenty from Clueless.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I was leaning towards Clueless anyway.

:cheers:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What are the things on top of this building? This is at a park that has 4+ youth football fields, I think this is maybe a groundskeepers building.

Mirrored ball thing with antenna strobe light and horns?

And another mirrored ball behind it?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 24, 2011

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wagonburner posted:

What are the things on top of this building? This is at a park that has 4+ youth football fields, I think this is maybe a groundskeepers building.

Probably a storm warning system to clear the fields for lightning. Got me on how they keep it so shiny though.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
My great-grandmother was Lebanese/Greek. She married a white guy, and had my grandfather and his brother. My grandfather was mostly white looking, where his brother was pretty dark-skinned. My grandfather had nine kids with my grandmother, who was white, and they were varying shades of tan, with m y father being the darkest of them all (and the youngest). My dad married my mom, white and Irish, and I'm very, very pale.

How exactly did this happen? Basically, someone please explain genetics to me because I don't get it :downs:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Recessive pale genes?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Harvey Wine Time posted:

What steps should I take to remove startsear.ch from my computer? Incautiously downloaded as part of VShare.

e. On a more positive note apparently I'm eligible for a Green Card

You might get a better/more helpful answer over at Haus of Tech Support, but for what it's worth...

- Download/update/run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as this seems to be the only one people are reporting some success with.

- Try some of the steps mentioned on these links via google: one, two, three.

- You can also download/update/run Spybot-S&D and SUPERAntiSpyware. I haven't seen anyone reporting results with them yet, but they're constantly updating their detection databases so it's possibly in the works.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I got a new sim card for this older black berry. (It looks like this) This is my father's old phone, and it has his email saved on it. I tried going into Advance Options -> Messaging Services. I can highlight the email that is there, but I can't change it. I've literally hit every single button on my goddamn phone and I can't change the email. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Solved: You can only change it in the initial setup (which you can do over and over again, why the gently caress is this not in options?)

Ularg fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 25, 2011

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Wagonburner posted:

If I had to guess, I would definitely say that's a lightening detector and alarm, in case a storm comes.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Probably a storm warning system to clear the fields for lightning. Got me on how they keep it so shiny though.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

If I had to guess, I would definitely say that's a lightening detector and alarm, in case a storm comes.

Looks like we have a winner. I gis'ed for lightning detector and found some that look just like that.

http://blogs.nbcuni.com/weatherpulse/blog/2007/05/detecting_lightning.html

http://www.gcsoftball.net/Coaches_Meeting_2007.htm Some softball fields website with one

quote:

If the detector sounds off all players/coaches/fans/umpires are instructed to go their cars. The lightning detector is located on the picnic shelter by the water park. When the detector sounds off 3 times that is the all clear. If this detector goes off you have between 8 to 20 minutes to get to your cars. This is the same system which the Professional Golfers Association use.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I bought a pair of Ray Bans about 3 months ago. Within a month of using them, both of the arms became so loose that they would close up with gravity alone. I tightened the screws with a screwdriver, but within a week they were loose again. Are they defective, or is this normal behavior? I normally wouldn't care about it, but if I'm paying $150 bucks for sunglasses, I expect them to be of perfect quality. I'm not sure if its worth going back into the store and trying to convince them to do something other than just tightening the screws for me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
UK goons,

I have to collect someone at Heathrow airport. 1 person with a couple of cases.

My first thought is to just drive to the short stay car park, get there early and us the spare time to apply for a second mortgage to pay the charge.

Anyone have any positive experience of using the various park-n-ride schemes around there?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I bought a pair of Ray Bans about 3 months ago. Within a month of using them, both of the arms became so loose that they would close up with gravity alone. I tightened the screws with a screwdriver, but within a week they were loose again. Are they defective, or is this normal behavior? I normally wouldn't care about it, but if I'm paying $150 bucks for sunglasses, I expect them to be of perfect quality. I'm not sure if its worth going back into the store and trying to convince them to do something other than just tightening the screws for me.

Ray Bans come with a one year warranty so if the store can't repair them to your satisfaction you should be able to get them relaced

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

greazeball posted:

Ray Bans come with a one year warranty so if the store can't repair them to your satisfaction you should be able to get them relaced

This is the route I'd take if possible, but if not you could get some blue Loctite. Make sure it's the blue stuff, the other colors are much stronger and it basically glues the threads together. I don't know how well it work on something that small but if they're out of warranty it might be worth a shot.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Here's a stupid question that's fitting for the thread.

Airlines normally charge you $25 for a bag, and up to 50lbs a bag. They say its to help pay for gas costs and other such maintenance stuff.
Southwest doesnt charge anything and you can have up to 120lbs of crap free. And there tickets are usually cheap as hell.

So it cant mean Southwest is just nice, it means *dun dun dun* that all the other airlines are just greedy and wanted to make a believable excuse to steal our monies?

Confirm/Deny.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Duxwig posted:

Airlines normally charge you $25 for a bag, and up to 50lbs a bag. They say its to help pay for gas costs and other such maintenance stuff.
Southwest doesnt charge anything and you can have up to 120lbs of crap free. And there tickets are usually cheap as hell.

So it cant mean Southwest is just nice, it means *dun dun dun* that all the other airlines are just greedy and wanted to make a believable excuse to steal our monies?

Confirm/Deny.

From what I remember, Southwest predicted the spike in gas prices forever ago, and made a deal to buy gas for the next X number of years at the current price, so they missed the squeeze many airlines are feeling.

But don't take this to mean that airlines aren't grabbing at every last one of your dollars they can.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
The new Facebook subscription feature automatically subscribed me to "most posts" of my friends. I want to see "all posts" though. How can I enable this without going through my friends list (which I actually can't find anymore ... I only see those automatic lists with several friends in them) one by one?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Duxwig posted:

Confirm/Deny.

Ticket prices are set to what the airlines think will maximize their profit, not by how much it costs for fuel and maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

FLX posted:

The new Facebook subscription feature automatically subscribed me to "most posts" of my friends. I want to see "all posts" though. How can I enable this without going through my friends list (which I actually can't find anymore ... I only see those automatic lists with several friends in them) one by one?
I think the ticker feed on the right handles all that now - just hover over a particular story and a small window pops up with the full story and all its replies. In the Lists group, click on "More" to see any lists you had before the upgrade.