Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
Well arguably P4 was a dumbing down of the P3 gameplay. With the exception of the best chsracter ever's shadow, the bosses were all like, insanely easy. I beat Naoto's shadow on my first try, with half HP/SP party, and I used a god drat black frost to do it.

(Actually I forget if Black Frost is still a good persona at that point. I dunno, but I used thst BF all the way to the final boss.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I love both games, but I hope they go with a happier Persona 4 style route. You can still have big issues and a great theme without the story being chock full of death.

I also like Inaba better than Port Island, but that's cause I'm a sucker for quaint, rural towns.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

HarveyVdarski posted:

Well arguably P4 was a dumbing down of the P3 gameplay. With the exception of the best chsracter ever's shadow, the bosses were all like, insanely easy. I beat Naoto's shadow on my first try, with half HP/SP party, and I used a god drat black frost to do it.

(Actually I forget if Black Frost is still a good persona at that point. I dunno, but I used thst BF all the way to the final boss.)

Admittedly yeah, I just prefer having control over my party and not taking using up a turn to get up. So basically, P3P's battle system (combining all the physicals into one in P4 was a bad idea and resulted in almost every physical skill being identical).

The bosses in P3 got easier and easier as you went too, although at least Black Frost wasn't so overpowered.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I find it really weird that people go into video games wanting to get game overs and have their time wasted.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Persona 4 was awesome because the main cast clicked way better than 3's ever did and the light fun atmosphere I think helped that.

So yeah, more of Persona 4 style I would love.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

I find it really weird that people go into video games wanting to get game overs and have their time wasted.

People like different things; I think it's pretty weird that anyone would want to bother pushing buttons if there's no chance of failure. Might as well be a book at that point.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Irony.or.Death posted:

People like different things; I think it's pretty weird that anyone would want to bother pushing buttons if there's no chance of failure. Might as well be a book at that point.

Demon's souls has no game over at all, but that doesn't make it easy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

I find it really weird that people go into video games wanting to hold up and mash X
Edit: So I don't sound like a dick I like RPGs to be a bit challenging because then you really have to learn to use the mechanics and use them in creative ways instead of just mashing FIGHT over and over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redreader posted:

Demon's souls has no game over at all, but that doesn't make it easy.

Yeah, but he didn't seem to be talking more about literal game overs and instead about the loss of progress that comes with a game over, and Demon's Souls can certainly have that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

There is no middle ground. You either just press X, or you constantly get Game Overs. You either have a happy story about a serial killer, or a dark story about death. Light and Dark. Never grey.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

There is no middle ground. You either just press X, or you constantly get Game Overs. You either have a happy story about a serial killer, or a dark story about death. Light and Dark. Never grey.

I honestly don't get that many game overs in SMT games, it's hardly "constant".

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Calling it now: P5 will ditch the combat system and go on full-on dating sim harem comedy. (and it will sell better than any other SMT game)

It would be a funny joke if it wasn't so probable. :sigh:

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 23, 2011

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

The Black Stones posted:

Persona 4 was awesome because the main cast clicked way better than 3's ever did and the light fun atmosphere I think helped that.

So yeah, more of Persona 4 style I would love.

So long as they get rid of the 'a series of extended red herrings followed by three false endings' thing, I wouldn't mind another more lighthearted Persona.

Technique posted:

Calling it now: P5 will ditch the combat system and go on full-on dating sim harem comedy. (and it will better than any other SMT game)

But the only reason I dated those girls was so I would get their s-links to max level so I could make stronger demons. Without their ability to help me summon demons, angels, and gods, they are useless to me.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Bro if you hate Game Overs then you'll love persona, just play on easy and it gives you a bunch of items that revive everyone when you all die.

Or is that somehow "different"?

edit: just after I posted this I got jacked in The Answer

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 23, 2011

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Technique posted:

Calling it now: P5 will ditch the combat system and go on full-on dating sim harem comedy. (and it will sell better than any other SMT game)

I have a crazy idea for a Persona style game starring a team of magical girls. Persona meets Sailor Moon but minus the personas and all characters are playable. No clue how the "non-dungeon" part would work though.

I am a terrible person.:(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sounds like the PSP Madoka Magica dungeon crawler.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Or Ar tonelico, really.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
They really need to stop letting the music guy directing video games. I love the original games, but he doesn't really do that great of a job bringing them up to speed.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HarveyVdarski posted:

He was good, I used black frost all way to the final boss.

All I want for the next Persona game is for them not to include a stupid exposition fairy like Naoto, man that pissed me off in P4, I love the game but almost everyone of my replay's ended when she's recruited, I actually have a save that skips her whole recruitment and I just skip her dialogue whenever she starts to talk.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Technique posted:

didn't we make this joke like three years ago right after P4 came out

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Spiffo posted:

Admittedly yeah, I just prefer having control over my party and not taking using up a turn to get up. So basically, P3P's battle system (combining all the physicals into one in P4 was a bad idea and resulted in almost every physical skill being identical).

The bosses in P3 got easier and easier as you went too, although at least Black Frost wasn't so overpowered.

If they diversify the physicals again I would hope that they actually let you choose what weapon your party gets. I find having to worry about keeping both weapon diversity and elemental diversity among your party limits what parties are viable.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Sounds like the PSP Madoka Magica dungeon crawler.

Well, that gives me more reason to check out that show now. I've heard good things.

neongrey posted:

Or Ar tonelico, really.

That seems more like a "Tales" sort of game, but I love Tales, so I might have to check that out too.

I just want the play style and some of the mechanics of Persona, but with the magical high school girls that I've been doodling in my sketchbook beating up monsters with morningstars, giant hammers and tridents. :unsmith:

Alteisen posted:

All I want for the next Persona game is for them not to include a stupid exposition fairy like Naoto, man that pissed me off in P4, I love the game but almost everyone of my replay's ended when she's recruited, I actually have a save that skips her whole recruitment and I just skip her dialogue whenever she starts to talk.

Really? I loved Naoto. She's my favourite. :)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Set Persona 5 in America. Crossed with Stephen King's IT. Characters summon Personae based on native/mesoamerican deities.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
That would be awesome, but I remember reading in an interview that they probably wouldn't set a game in the U.S. unless they had a staff member (I assume a lead person) who was really familiar with American culture.

e: On adults and location:

quote:

1UP: Outside of Persona 2, all Persona games revolve around high school life and take place in Japan. But since many of your fans are working adults, have you considered creating a Persona game that may reflect their lives? Maybe a salaryman bands together with his boss and coworkers to unlock their Personas and take down some demon? And would you ever consider creating a Persona game that takes place in America or Europe, or are you just not familiar enough with the culture to make it feel authentic?

KH: An important characteristic of the Persona series is that it's a "young-adult fiction" work, so even though we know there are many adults in the fan base, we still chose to focus on adolescent boys and girls for P4. But there's the precedent of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, where the party consists of adults, so we can't say there won't be an adult party member in the future. Also, another important aspect of the Persona series, from P3 on, is the sense of real life. For the story to take place in America or Europe, we'd need more staff with firsthand experience in those areas of the world.

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 24, 2011

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Technique posted:

The Velvet Room gains a whole new meaning...

I get that they want to keep it focused on young adults, but I wish they would bump it up a bit higher in the age spectrum. College age maybe? I'd be down for a heavier storyline in p5 too.

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 24, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I would like a Persona spinoff based on the Persona game that the characters play in Persona.

Alternatively, was the SMT card game any good? Handhelds need some better card games, and a Pokemon CCG/SvC Card Fighters type deal would be pretty neat.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Xlyfindel posted:

The Velvet Room gains a whole new meaning...

I get that they want to keep it focused on young adults, but I wish they would bump it up a bit higher in the age spectrum. College age maybe? I'd be down for a heavier storyline in p5 too.

I'm down for that too. You'd still have classes and dorms and part time jobs, but you could also probably go out to bars and have more serious relationships. Would drinking help boost confidence?

I mean, Atlus has already played around with that kind of stuff in Catherine.

Hell, Vincent makes a cameo in P3P. They already exist in the same universe!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Nessa posted:

I'm down for that too. You'd still have classes and dorms and part time jobs, but you could also probably go out to bars and have more serious relationships. Would drinking help boost confidence?

I mean, Atlus has already played around with that kind of stuff in Catherine.

Hell, Vincent makes a cameo in P3P. They already exist in the same universe!

In fact, the concept would work exactly as well with a full time job and an adult protagonist: Just have the MC be a new recruit dipatched to a new town after being hired, in order to explain the absence of pre existing relationships.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
That or they can go for the more traditional plot structure of the previous games and skip the S. Link system.

It's more likely that they'll keep the S. Link system, though. One can hope that maybe they'll try something different this next time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

In fact, the concept would work exactly as well with a full time job and an adult protagonist: Just have the MC be a new recruit dipatched to a new town after being hired, in order to explain the absence of pre existing relationships.

Ohhh, ooooh! Have it be someplace remote like Antartica! You're there as part of a research mission and have so many months before you leave. The other scientists won't believe you and won't understand what's going on, so it's up to you and your bunk mates/buddies to solve the mystery under the Antarctic ice! Yeah!

Someone's throwing penguins into the TV!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Nessa posted:

Ohhh, ooooh! Have it be someplace remote like Antartica! You're there as part of a research mission and have so many months before you leave. The other scientists won't believe you and won't understand what's going on, so it's up to you and your bunk mates/buddies to solve the mystery under the Antarctic ice! Yeah!

Someone's throwing penguins into the TV!

And then this happens:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Krad posted:

And then this happens:

I don't see much of a downside here. :colbert:

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Wow...I finally beat Persona 3: FES last night. Clocked in at around 120 hours because I spent a few days going nuts in monad, sperging out, trying to create awesome high level personae. The game's ending was nuts, I'm really glad I beat the ps2 version first though because the cutscenes with nyx avatar coming down with ryoji's eyeless face were pure nightmare fuel for me, on a first time silent hill level. Maybe I'm just a wuss but the whole last boss was creepy as hell for me yet it was awesome too. Nyx avatar + Death may be my favorite final boss ever, alongside Kefka in FF3/6. The ending was so great too, the whole thing with the moon becoming a giant...eye thing scared the hell out of me and the interactive bit at school .reminded me of earthbound for some reason.

Can someone who's beaten the Psp version tell me how "epic" the ending feels in comparison? I know I berated them before, but I think the last couple of cutscenes in the game were pretty good and really helped up the scale. I'm trying to imagine how it would have felt without them.

This game was an amazing experience and now I have Persona 4 waiting for me. I'm excited but at the same time I don't know how its going to top 3's ending and last boss.

Krad posted:

And then this happens:

oh boy I forgot I have this game sitting somewhere. Really looking forward to trying it again sometime. I think I'll wait til I beat nocturne though.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 24, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
edit - quote not edit

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Can someone who's beaten the Psp version tell me how "epic" the ending feels in comparison? I know I berated them before, but I think the last couple of cutscenes in the game were pretty good and really helped up the scale. I'm trying to imagine how it would have felt without them.

Honestly after playing both versions I found the PSP ending scene to be a bit less potent, since you just get a few stills from the cutscene instead of the whole deal. It still felt emotional but definitely less so.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly after playing both versions I found the PSP ending scene to be a bit less potent, since you just get a few stills from the cutscene instead of the whole deal. It still felt emotional but definitely less so.

Oh well that kinda sucks but its understandable :(. Also, was reading a few pages back regarding Junpei's "special" friend: Is it true you can revive her or was that just a troll?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Oh well that kinda sucks but its understandable :(. Also, was reading a few pages back regarding Junpei's "special" friend: Is it true you can revive her or was that just a troll?

You can, but she has amnesia or something and she's irrelevant the remainder of the game

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You can, but she has amnesia or something and she's irrelevant the remainder of the game

Ah I see, that's kind of dumb in my opinion. It takes away from the impact of the event but its neat its there.

Speaking of her... I really wish Jin hadn't died, especially considering Takaya survived too. I kinda wish we had seen more of Takaya in the ending, I liked his design and foil to the main cast a lot. I guess I'm biased because he reminds me of anime-fied hybrid of Jim Morrison and Rasputin. During the interactive part of the ending I explored the Iwatodai backstreets hoping to run into him , maybe seeing him as some punk on the street who had lost his memory too.

I think the strega people were explained nicely at the end, but I feel like I would have liked just a bit more exposition.

Also, was it just me or did Ikukski's "reveal" seem totally out of the blue? He was such a dorky character and then WHAM hahahaha I've been loving with yo idiots the entire time, now watch me summon Death!! He should have taken the moment to use some ironic pun about Death and being Deaf.

Starting P4 now! :D

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 24, 2011

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Ah I see, that's kind of dumb in my opinion. It takes away from the impact of the event but its neat its there.

Speaking of her... I really wish Jin hadn't died, especially considering Takaya survived too.

Regarding the first event, It's not canon, during the Answer chapter in FES Junpei will talk about Chidori and it's quite clear she's 100% dead. Regarding Takaya, 99.9% sure he's dead too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In general I kind of wish STREGA were in the limelight more. I thought they were all cool but besides Chidori, they didn't really get the screen time they deserved.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 24, 2011