Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Awesome, thanks for the re-assurance on costs.

The initial cost I had thought up was for supplies as i have none and vet bills/microchiping etc.

Monthly cost I figure included one of the top of the line cat foods from the OP, as i understand its actually better for the cats and a money saver due to possibly less health issues.

Not going for exotic breeds, unless calico is considered exotic?

Once I have my finances fixed up, planning on adopting a bonded pair of adult cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

duckfarts posted:

As for toys, if you really love your cat, gently caress the mousies; get one of those toys on a string on a stick and play with your cat and they will love you and go apeshit.

We've gone through so many toys on a string on a sticks and within the first 5 minutes the string is severed by our cats and they bat around the actual toy for hours. We've tried countless brands and quality all with the same end result. They like to fetch mousies so we chuck them across the tile and watch them go.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

So I just got a new kitten last night, and in the OP it mentions getting two? I might have the option too because of timing issues, but I think I'll have my hands full just getting him used to the 3 dogs in the house. We've had cats before so they don't really mind him. They're just curious but he doesn't want anything to do with them at the moment.

They're not big dogs, two cocker spanials and a pug. Main reason we got a cat was for mouse control since we live out in the woods.

Is it still advised to get a second kitten if there are dogs he'll socialize with? He seems to really enjoy humans as well, spending most of his time curled up against me. All I know is we had one cat before with the 3 dogs and he ended up hunting rabbits and stuff around here.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

madpanda posted:

Awesome, thanks for the re-assurance on costs.

The initial cost I had thought up was for supplies as i have none and vet bills/microchiping etc.

Monthly cost I figure included one of the top of the line cat foods from the OP, as i understand its actually better for the cats and a money saver due to possibly less health issues.

Not going for exotic breeds, unless calico is considered exotic?

Once I have my finances fixed up, planning on adopting a bonded pair of adult cats.
Last I remember, chipping's cheap.

Also, don't use that as rationale to buy stupid expensive food; check the pet nutrition thread for good, affordable foods. Offhand, the short list is Blue Buffalo(PI fave) and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul(used before, often recommended).

^^^if he's chill with your dogs, I don't think another cat is that necessary as he has "company" around him all the time.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

duckfarts posted:

Last I remember, chipping's cheap.

Also, don't use that as rationale to buy stupid expensive food; check the pet nutrition thread for good, affordable foods. Offhand, the short list is Blue Buffalo(PI fave) and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul(used before, often recommended).

^^^if he's chill with your dogs, I don't think another cat is that necessary as he has "company" around him all the time.

Should have clarified, I was talking about the top of the line food from the pet nutrition thread (Blue Buffalo etc) as opposed to meow mix or whatever the wet food equivalent is.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
We are considering a second cat. Not that the first would really care about a playmate as far as I can see, but it would be nice. I find myself with a dilemma though. There are two nearby places that we could get one, the first is the local kill shelter, and the second is this great no kill cat only place where this lady lets them all just live in her place. I really would like to go to the second to support her, but leaving a cat in the kill shelter makes me sad too... How do you deal with this dilemma?

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Go visit both, take home the cat that adopts you whichever one he/she is at. Either way you're doing a good thing. If you adopt from the rescue lady she'll have room to save another. If you adopt from the kill shelter you just skip the middleman.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

If you end up adopting from the kill shelter you could always look into donating/sponsoring a cat from the other.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am in need of general advice regarding my new adoptee.

- Age, 4.5 - 5 months
- Sex, penis
- How long have you had your cat? Was an outdoor farm cat being visited / cared for for 3 months, and is now a fully adopted 100% indoor cat. Was outdoor from birth to ~4 months
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Hell yes.
- What food do you use? Science Diet kitten food
- When was your last vet visit? ~2 weeks
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors only, but started life outdoors
- How many pets in your household? Only him
- How many litter boxes do you have? One

My cat is generally very well behaved. He went on a cross-country road trip with almost zero problems, and has NEVER missed the litter box, not a single time. As I write this, he is on my lap being loving adorable, sweet, and calm.

His problems aren't unusual, but I want feedback on how I am handling them. This is the first cat I have owned independently as an adult, but my family had cats from my birth to moving to college,

He sometimes attacks me - in a playful way, but it hurts and I am also a bit allergic so his claw marks swell and itch like mosquito bites (FYI I knew about the allergy before I adopted and am 100% willing to deal with it). To discourage this I give the classic yelp / "NO!", but it doesn't discourage him, he just continues to attack and doesn't seem to understand. I have bought a squirt bottle to see if spritzing him helps, I just tried it for the first time and he simply continued to be a spaz. Do I try to escalate the discipline, or do I continue with what I am doing?

I am especially worried about the attacks because he used to be a farm cat - I hear that makes it a harder habit to break.

Secondly, he also loves to claw furniture and curtains. Most of all, he LOVES attacking my toes under the bedsheets, making it impossible to sleep. For now, this means locking him out of then bedroom at night. I don't want to do it, I like him sleeping on the bed and I want him socialized properly, but I can't be a wreck every day because of 3 hours of sleep. How do I fix this? Same as above?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am in need of general advice regarding my new adoptee.

- Age, 4.5 - 5 months
- Sex, penis
- How long have you had your cat? Was an outdoor farm cat being visited / cared for for 3 months, and is now a fully adopted 100% indoor cat. Was outdoor from birth to ~4 months
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Hell yes.
- What food do you use? Science Diet kitten food
- When was your last vet visit? ~2 weeks
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors only, but started life outdoors
- How many pets in your household? Only him
- How many litter boxes do you have? One

My cat is generally very well behaved. He went on a cross-country road trip with almost zero problems, and has NEVER missed the litter box, not a single time. As I write this, he is on my lap being loving adorable, sweet, and calm.

His problems aren't unusual, but I want feedback on how I am handling them. This is the first cat I have owned independently as an adult, but my family had cats from my birth to moving to college,

He sometimes attacks me - in a playful way, but it hurts and I am also a bit allergic so his claw marks swell and itch like mosquito bites (FYI I knew about the allergy before I adopted and am 100% willing to deal with it). To discourage this I give the classic yelp / "NO!", but it doesn't discourage him, he just continues to attack and doesn't seem to understand. I have bought a squirt bottle to see if spritzing him helps, I just tried it for the first time and he simply continued to be a spaz. Do I try to escalate the discipline, or do I continue with what I am doing?

I am especially worried about the attacks because he used to be a farm cat - I hear that makes it a harder habit to break.

Secondly, he also loves to claw furniture and curtains. Most of all, he LOVES attacking my toes under the bedsheets, making it impossible to sleep. For now, this means locking him out of then bedroom at night. I don't want to do it, I like him sleeping on the bed and I want him socialized properly, but I can't be a wreck every day because of 3 hours of sleep. How do I fix this? Same as above?
Get him off the Science Diet onto something more respectable(and affordable).

He's still a kitten, so I wouldn't attribute it to being a farm cat vs general temperment. You NEED to handle him a lot, and get him used to be handled so that you can trim his nails and minimize damage to everything you own and love(like your feet). Get some nail scissors(example) and try to get him used to nail clippings so you can do it whenever you need.

For "loving stop this poo poo" issues, try to grab his scruff(the piece of fur on his back, below the head, it's the thing cat moms bite on to carry kittens around) and see if that "disables" him; if you're lucky, he'll go a bit limp and stop struggling. If you're not lucky, he'll still flop around angrily, but it's the best "control point" to grab your cat by and try to keep them under control. What I do with one of my cats is hold them by the scruff, and maybe have my other hand on their chest like a harness, and hold them for a bit until they calm down, wait a little longer, then make some sort of noise or cue then let them go. Over time, I did this for longer periods of time, and it helps with handling and doing nail clippings.

Still, if he's really spazzin' out, he'll probably be spazzing for another 5-10 minutes, so you should try redirecting him to a toy instead of you(suggest a small catnip pillow he can bite and/or a string-based toy to chase). If he's all over biting you and the spray doesn't work, yell NO! or whatever expletive you prefer and immediately take him to a separate room for him to cool down in(the idea being that biting you and such will end up in time out in the cat room); you'll need to be consistent with this. Don't go nuts with the spray, because if it's not effective at first, he either won't care or it'll just be a hostile situation between you and him spraying and getting mad and etc.

Curtains: Try looking for non-permanent double-sided tape and stripe up your curtains and furniture a bit; the tackiness should hopefully drive him off of it. At the same time YOU MUST PROVIDE SCRATCHING ALTERNATIVES, and keep them a little near to the furniture and curtains to try and get him to use those instead. Try cardboard scratchers first(cheap), or maybe some rope/sisal style ones. You can also try repellent sprays, though 1) the chem based ones with active ingredient listings on them are also people repellent, 2) they tend to fade over time, 3) cats don't necessarily give a poo poo that you sprayed stank on your furniture. I use some japanese brand one that's lemon and peppermint based(cats don't like heavy citrus) that works okay, temporarily, while remaining pleasant to smell for me.

Toes: lovely pair of thick socks sprayed with bitter apple maybe? Also needs toy alternatives to attack.

Putting him in another room at night is okay; you just need to make sure you spend enough time with him the rest of the day. Unfortunately, if you have a mouthy cat, he won't shut the gently caress up when he's in there and I have yet to find a really good solution to that other than time and luck.

tl;dr: KITTENS ARE ASSHOLES

Bahunter22 posted:

We've gone through so many toys on a string on a sticks and within the first 5 minutes the string is severed by our cats and they bat around the actual toy for hours. We've tried countless brands and quality all with the same end result. They like to fetch mousies so we chuck them across the tile and watch them go.
There was some sort of rainbow-felt-ribbon-string-on-a-stick toy(no mouse/object at the end) I had some time ago, as well as a mouse-on-a-rope-on-a-stick toy I have now that are loving indestructable; on both of them, the string is actually a pretty durable material (spongy felt or soft yellow rope), and the strings are more or less welded to the sticks, so they never fall off. My weird cat often drags it to me with the stick trailing behind.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Any suggestions for temporarily barricading off a patio door/front door? Would just need to do it for a few minutes while moving a bicycle or bringing groceries in. I know those baby fences are useless against cats, would something similar but taller (~10ft) work? I live in an apartment so permanent modification of the walls isn't really an option.

Also when I do adopt, is taking a week off to get them used to the place a good idea/bad idea? Worried once I go back they might feel abandoned.

Am i greatly overthinking both "issues"?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
If you plan to leave the door really open for a few minutes, I'd shut the cats up in a bathroom or something. If you just want a barrier for while the door opens and closes (a few seconds) I've seen people quite happy with using puppy/small pet pens arranged around the doorway just to slow the cats down. If you're like me, you get the hang of arranging your stuff up by the door and making quick trips through while waving a foot in front of you and saying "NO BAD CATS GO AWAY TIMMY!"

I don't know that you need to take a full week off to hang out with them, but making it a longish weekend might be nice. The cats will probably be wary the first couple of days and then start figuring out all the stuff they can knock over or get into.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

madpanda posted:

Any suggestions for temporarily barricading off a patio door/front door? Would just need to do it for a few minutes while moving a bicycle or bringing groceries in. I know those baby fences are useless against cats, would something similar but taller (~10ft) work? I live in an apartment so permanent modification of the walls isn't really an option.

Also when I do adopt, is taking a week off to get them used to the place a good idea/bad idea? Worried once I go back they might feel abandoned.

Am i greatly overthinking both "issues"?
Yes.
1) Can't you just stick them in another room temporarily when you're doing this? (e;fb)
2) The best thing for a cat to get used to a place is a single room with covered places they can hide in out of sight. After that, they can explore a bit to get used to the place, but you don't necessarily need to be there. Also, it would be a good idea to get your cat used to the initial room as both the "safe" room and the "I gotta put you here for a bit, please don't bitch at me" room.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Oh kitties you are awesome and I love you but shut the gently caress up!

Whew. That's off my chest. Now I need some advice.

My 2 kittens (around 5 months old now) are pretty cool in most ways. They play, they lie around, they transport instantly to any room that I appear in. Totally happy with them - except in 2 areas. And they are both to do with crying.

Food. OMG food. They are complete beggers whenever I walk into the kitchen. Is there a way to break them of that or just accept that I need to shuffle around in there for fear of stepping on them?

The morning. They don't sleep with me at night because they like to play "let's jump on the sleeping person at 4 am" and I don't like that game. They don't cry at night when I shut the door, and they are generally pretty decent about not making "COME OUT NOW" noises until 7:30 or so unless they hear me moving around. Then it's cry cry cry DESPERATE CRY until I open then door where they come storming in, crying and purring at the same time trying to tangle my feet and kill me.

I get they think they are hungry and that they want me to feed them - but I am wondering how I make sure that I am not training them to cry at my door until I come out. I try to make sure that they aren't in the middle of a cry when I open it, and then act like it's no big deal to walk out, but I get the feeling my 2 seconds of waiting isn't enough.

Thoughts? Argh kitties!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I've had success with making sure that you aren't leaving your room and immediately going to feed them. Go to the bathroom, grab the paper, make some coffee, and only after some sufficient time has passed, feed them. If you just barrel right from the bedroom to the food bag, they will indeed learn that "Crying + Awake Human = Food".

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Schroedinger posted:

What's the point of no return of pregnancy for spaying a cat?

The kitten I adopted is finally big enough (about 5lbs) for spaying. Which is really good because that weight gain seems concentrated in her belly. I'm investigating low-cost options but I'm wondering how much more I can expect to pay if she's pregnant. Or if I can get her spayed/kitty abortion if she's pregnant?

Could be worms. I'd suspect that before pregnancy if she's really just a kitten. How old do you think she might be?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I almost wish Nibbler would yell at me to feed him in the mornings, because then I would feel justified in throwing him off the bed. Instead he crawls up next to me and starts purring.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

RazorBunny posted:

I almost wish Nibbler would yell at me to feed him in the mornings, because then I would feel justified in throwing him off the bed. Instead he crawls up next to me and starts purring.

My kitten does that to me too. Makes it really hard to get ready for work...

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
My new cat came and cuddled with me for the first time last night :3:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Lipumira posted:

Food. OMG food. They are complete beggers whenever I walk into the kitchen. Is there a way to break them of that or just accept that I need to shuffle around in there for fear of stepping on them?

The morning. They don't sleep with me at night because they like to play "let's jump on the sleeping person at 4 am" and I don't like that game. They don't cry at night when I shut the door, and they are generally pretty decent about not making "COME OUT NOW" noises until 7:30 or so unless they hear me moving around. Then it's cry cry cry DESPERATE CRY until I open then door where they come storming in, crying and purring at the same time trying to tangle my feet and kill me.

I get they think they are hungry and that they want me to feed them - but I am wondering how I make sure that I am not training them to cry at my door until I come out. I try to make sure that they aren't in the middle of a cry when I open it, and then act like it's no big deal to walk out, but I get the feeling my 2 seconds of waiting isn't enough.

Wow.. that's a perfect description of my 2 year old cat. 6:30 AM = MEOW MEOW MEOW DOOR GO AWAY.

I wait about 30 minutes after opening my door before feeding him, but that doesn't seem to help. 6:30 is hard wired in to him I guess.

The kitchen is also his go-batshit-crazy room, which is weird because his food pantry AND the room I feed him in are on a different floor of the house and the kitchen has never been the source of anything he's eaten. From a former owner, I guess? He's only been mine for about 4 weeks.

EDIT for new adopter question: I adopted him from a non-profit "Cat Adoption Team" that has a facility and appears to take pretty darn good care of their cats. He came with a piece of paper that said something along the lines of Clean Bill of Health, but I have no idea how long it has been since he's been to the vet. Is it important to get him to a vet for a checkup or can I trust that he was checked up on at the shelter?

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 23, 2011

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Shed posted:

My kitten does that to me too. Makes it really hard to get ready for work...

This is clearly a cat conspiracy to keep us all from going to work/school because my kitty does the exact same thing in the morning. Like, she senses that I'm going to be getting up soon and she tries to be as cute and adorable as possible in order to keep me in bed and cuddling with her. Actually, come to think, I've had boyfriends that did the exact same thing. So I'm going to assume that this is natural behavior for living creatures in general and just curse the fact that getting up always sucks when you're cuddling with any living creature.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

EDIT for new adopter question: I adopted him from a non-profit "Cat Adoption Team" that has a facility and appears to take pretty darn good care of their cats. He came with a piece of paper that said something along the lines of Clean Bill of Health, but I have no idea how long it has been since he's been to the vet. Is it important to get him to a vet for a checkup or can I trust that he was checked up on at the shelter?

Did they give you any kind of paperwork regarding their immunizations? If you're not sure you can try calling them, they might have records of it since you adopted him recently. Either way it can't hurt to take him to your vet just for a check-up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
All is well with my kitten. The vet is fairly sure the store had his age marked wrong and thinks he's only just now 3.5 months old. He's 1.8 kg, which the doctor said isn't an issue yet but probably means I'm giving him too much food when I'm feeding him. I've cut down how much I feed him, and the cat doesn't seem to mind at all.

I have seen him dreaming a few times. He'll definitely be asleep, but will suddenly start flexing his toes and twitching slightly. Today, we were napping and he was even talking in his sleep.

This is normal right?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Normal and adorable, yes. You should try eating some people food that he likes near him while he's sleeping. When I do that around my cats they start trying to eat it in their sleep. :3:

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Totally normal and by far one of the few redeeming things they do when they are kittens. My littlest cat use to crawl onto my shoulder, sleep in my hair and dream away. She'd twitch and vocalize and it was the cutest drat thing to see a 1lb kitten do.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
So my husband and I are having a bit of a cat dilemma. Apologies, because I suspect this may get kind of long.

A few months ago we acquired a fourth cat. We found her on the street half starved and with a nasty eye infection. She came running right up to us and let us pet her while she purred. We couldn’t stand to just leave her there, so we brought her home. We kept her separate from our other cats by locking her up in the living room, where she stayed for about two weeks. We got her to the vet ASAP, got medication for her eye, got her caught up on shots, etc. Surprisingly, other than the eye infection and malnourishment she was completely healthy. Our original plan was to get her taken care of and then find a nice home for her. As you might have guessed, we fell in love with her ourselves and decided to keep her. She is a sweetheart, trills and purrs constantly, and will come running over for cuddles if you call her.

We named her Chaussettes, which is French for “socks”. She’s gray with little white feet, and the vet thinks she is about a year old. Our other cats are Nibbler (female, 4 years old), Misses (female, 5 years old), and Dougal (male, 2 years old). Everyone is spayed and neutered and are indoor cats only.

After her eye got better we decided it was time for cat introductions. The other cats obviously knew she was in our living room, and they occasionally caught glances of her when we opened the door. Towards the end of the two weeks both parties liked to peer underneath the door and swat at one another. For the introductions we basically let Chaussettes roam around the house while we were home, and we’d put her away at night or if we weren’t there. Things were mostly okay. She didn’t like the others to get too close to her and would swat and hiss, but there was no fighting. They all mostly got used to one another with minimal hissing and we felt comfortable leaving Chaussettes out all day.

A couple of weeks ago we started noticing that Chaussettes and Misses really did not like one another. Misses seems to be the instigator, cornering Chaussettes and swatting at her while Chaussettes is low to the ground, growling. Usually if I stand up and start to walk towards them Misses will bolt. Then one night last week there was a huge commotion with yowling, snarling, and the sound of cats scrabbling around everywhere. We had just gone to bed so we didn’t actually see what happened, but by the time we turned on the light Chaussettes, Misses, and Dougal were all in the kitchen glaring at one another, all with poofed tails, and Dougal was growling and hissing. Dougal is usually a big, dumb sweetheart, and he and Chaussettes were actually starting to get along and play together, so I don’t know what happened.

Last Tuesday we took Chaussettes in to have her spayed. We hoped that maybe having this done would also help things settle down a bit for whatever reason. So far it hasn’t. Chaussettes and Dougal are still friendly most of the time and she tolerates Nibbler, but if Misses gets too close there is still hissing and growling. Today there was actually another fight, which I believe started between Chaussettes and Misses, but Dougal got involved. He chased Misses into the bedroom, fought with her, and then chased her up into a window where he nearly destroyed the blinds. I sprayed everyone with the water bottle and put Dougal in the bathroom so he could calm down. He was still snorting, growling, and hissing, and is still acting on edge. Every time he and Misses see one another there is more yowling and general freaking out.

What is going on here? Dougal has never acted this way towards Misses or another cat before. Is he attempting to “defend” Chaussettes? Did we do something wrong with the introduction process? Do we need to start over? I did read the section about this on the first page but it has been two months since we brought Chaussettes in and thought maybe someone would have some extra tips.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PacoTheThird posted:

:catstare: drama
Is the fighting between Dougal and Chausettes constant, or just after Chausettes came back from the vet? Cats that leave for a little bit tend to become "foreign" again, probably due to the different smells of outside your home; taking my two cats to the vet TOGETHER even made them wary of each other for a bit after I got home.

Try getting a Feliway diffuser and see if that helps. Other than that, some cats just don't get along that well, and it may take time for them to tolerate each other.

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008

duckfarts posted:

Is the fighting between Dougal and Chausettes constant, or just after Chausettes came back from the vet? Cats that leave for a little bit tend to become "foreign" again, probably due to the different smells of outside your home; taking my two cats to the vet TOGETHER even made them wary of each other for a bit after I got home.

Try getting a Feliway diffuser and see if that helps. Other than that, some cats just don't get along that well, and it may take time for them to tolerate each other.

It's not constant exactly, but they have had fights before and after the vet visits. Dougal DOES get weird and hissy after we bring someone back from the vet, but he's usually over that by the end of the day. It's weird, because most of the time they seem to love each other. They trill at each other and play a lot, and Dougal is really the only cat here that Chaussettes really seems to like. I think they're getting on edge with one another because of Misses annoying Chaussettes. I'm totally fine if our cats are never best friends, but it would be nice to not have all the freak outs.

I will give the Feliway a shot, though. Thanks for that.

By the way, here are some gratuitous cat picturess while I'm here.

Chaussettes:

Nibbler, Dougal, and Misses (the girls were looking at a light on the ceiling):

They look so sweet and innocent until they're all snarling at one another.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

So my vicious bloodthirsty indoor cat bolted out the door after a black cat that was sitting by the door when I took out my trash today. She chased it into a wooded area outside my apartment and I can't lure her out and I don't hear any growling or hissing coming out of the bushes.

Any tips on getting her back? Just leave a can of tuna by the door and hope for the best?

Oh god now there are cat screams coming from the bushes aughhhhhhhh!!!! There is no way for me to get in there to get her...

Super-fast advice??

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

watchoutitsabear posted:

So my vicious bloodthirsty indoor cat bolted out the door after a black cat that was sitting by the door when I took out my trash today. She chased it into a wooded area outside my apartment and I can't lure her out and I don't hear any growling or hissing coming out of the bushes.

Any tips on getting her back? Just leave a can of tuna by the door and hope for the best?

Oh god now there are cat screams coming from the bushes aughhhhhhhh!!!! There is no way for me to get in there to get her...

Super-fast advice??

NEVERMIND SHE CAME HOME EVERYTHING IS OKAY.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Whew! Juuuust checking, but she's spayed, right? Those weren't the horrifying sounds of cat love?

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Whew! Juuuust checking, but she's spayed, right? Those weren't the horrifying sounds of cat love?

Haha yeah she is spayed... that would have been awful/adorable.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
I am still making my way through the thread, but...

- Sex: male
- How long have you had your cat? a week
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? neutered
- What food do you use? switching from science diet (provided by the shelter) to Innova wet/Merrick before-grain dry
- When was your last vet visit? Wellness visit is scheduled for Thursday
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? indoors
- How many pets in your household? two
- How many litter boxes do you have? one

So my new kitty, Loki, just peed on the bed and I am petrified he is sick because of this thread :(. He puked up his food this afternoon but today is the first day I mixed in the new dry food with the old stuff. Other than that he is acting perfectly normal/playful. He did pee and it didn't look like he was straining or anything. My fiance just cleaned out the litter box but it's possible the litter needs to be changed because it's not the clumping kind because they had just been neutered. Should I take him to an emergency vet right now, or can I wait til tomorrow and bring him in during business hours? I definitely can't wait 'til his appointment on Thursday, right?

edit: my fiance just changed the litter and Loki went and peed in the new litter immediately (he was interrupted midstream on the bed). Does that mean he was just pissed because the litter was dirty?

jrr fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 26, 2011

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

jrr posted:

edit: my fiance just changed the litter and Loki went and peed in the new litter immediately (he was interrupted midstream on the bed). Does that mean he was just pissed because the litter was dirty?
This is one of the many reasons, but can be a major one. For example, my rear end in a top hat cat does NOT like big pellet kinds of litter like Feline Pine(also, that poo poo is hard to clean out anyway). Also, if the litter is too dirty(read: I've been lazy), she'll go look for something soft or synthetic to whiz on, so WHOOPS time to change out the litter. Rule of thumb: if it smells bad to you, it smells bad to them. If it smells awful to you, it's loving horrendous to them, and some cats just don't want to put up with that level of stink.

As for your cat in general, if it's the first time peein' on the bed, you don't need an emergency visit. Look into getting some enzymatic cleaner for the stank though. Same with the barfin'; see if your cat is still eating first, and then check to see if the barfing is a repeated event.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So my cats seem to love our water. They drink tons of it. Unfortunately they pee a billion gallons each time they go pee. One third of a fresh box of litter is turned into a giant brick of pee after just 2 or 3 visits. Is there a type of litter that can handle this sort of thing better? Also should I be worried that the cats seem to drink so much? This is the litter we're using now.
http://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-Double-Clumping-28-Pound/dp/B004U8Z2YW

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

So my cats seem to love our water. They drink tons of it. Unfortunately they pee a billion gallons each time they go pee. One third of a fresh box of litter is turned into a giant brick of pee after just 2 or 3 visits. Is there a type of litter that can handle this sort of thing better? Also should I be worried that the cats seem to drink so much? This is the litter we're using now.
Check with a vet first, but I'd be happy about this, as it would mean less chance of crystals forming I'd think. If the bricks are an issue, you could try one if those weird systems where they use washable litter(pee drains out or gets washed out or something) that doesn't clump.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Definitely check with the vet and make sure they don't have an infection, diabetes, or a kidney ailment first. Our old lady cat loved water (read: Would cry to have the bathtub turned on constantly, would drain the water fountain in a day by herself) and peed a ton. She did end up having a UTI and at the same appointment she was also diagnosed with diabetes which lead to CRF. We use the Tidy Cats multiple cats litter and it worked pretty well but we really had to keep it super clean. She peed in the same place so after a day there would be about five gallons accumulated just from her. Hopefully your cats are just water enthusiasts and aren't sick. Cats that love water tend to be hilarious.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
My live-in girlfriend and I are seriously considering fostering a kitty, with plans to possibly adopt if things work out (she's mildly allergic to cats and has only ever had dogs, so we figure 'temporary' fostering would give us an exit if things go badly).

While we're fostering, food, litter, and medical care are provided for. But about how much should we budget to care for and feed an adult cat? I know that things like medical care will vary widely, but what's a reasonable amount of money to be setting aside on a monthly/yearly basis?

Thanks.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

My live-in girlfriend and I are seriously considering fostering a kitty, with plans to possibly adopt if things work out (she's mildly allergic to cats and has only ever had dogs, so we figure 'temporary' fostering would give us an exit if things go badly).

While we're fostering, food, litter, and medical care are provided for. But about how much should we budget to care for and feed an adult cat? I know that things like medical care will vary widely, but what's a reasonable amount of money to be setting aside on a monthly/yearly basis?

Thanks.

I'm a brand whore for Wellness cat food because of the magic it does to a cat's energy levels and fur. A year's worth of canned food is $425 to $730 depending on the size of cans you get (the 2-day supply cans are a lot cheaper per oz than the single serving cans). I also like Wellness CORE dry food, and that's about $250 to $500 for a year's supply depending on bag size.

Use Petflow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
To keep my cat (5 months old) from clawing furniture and hopping on the kitchen counter I've tried putting down double sided tape and tinfoil.

He doesn't mind the tape, and he tried to eat the goddamn tinfoil.

What else do I try?