Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Watched about 5 minutes of Fresh Meat and couldn't get any further. Wasn't expecting much with Jack Whitehall tbh.

Unrelated point, why is the Tramlink never featured in Peep Show? Pretty sure they only live a couple of minutes walk from West Croydon station.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

LE0N posted:

Oh so we get another series of rubbish ye' olde shite like Downton Abbey and series 6545 of Spooks but niche and emerging tv shows are dealt yet another blow, like this...

:ughh: way to shoot yourself in the foot itv. *sigh* At least celebrity juice is ok.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. If you are being serious :psyboom: - these "reality" shows that follow some vacuous wanna be famous person are a waste of space. Emerging TV shows my arse.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Metrication posted:

Unrelated point, why is the Tramlink never featured in Peep Show? Pretty sure they only live a couple of minutes walk from West Croydon station.

I've got this theory (probably not my own theory, but one I nicked from somewhere else) that alot of TV shows/films/books are deliberately non-specific about location in order to be more universal. I'm fairly sure they never mention Croydon, or anywhere else specifically in London, and that has to be deliberate. It's less distracting, less insular and people can empathise easier if they just live in 'average non-specific area of London'.

Have a feeling I could have expressed that better. Sorry.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. If you are being serious :psyboom: - these "reality" shows that follow some vacuous wanna be famous person are a waste of space. Emerging TV shows my arse.

The last post of his that I remember cited Bernard Manning as having a valid opinion. Probably taking the piss a bit.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 22, 2011

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Would it also have something to do with the practicality of filming in a busy station?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd catch When TV Goes To War before it gets taken off iPlayer in the next few days, very interesting.

The odd controversy over the Monicled Mutineer bit is just facinating.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Al2001 posted:

I've got this theory (probably not my own theory, but one I nicked from somewhere else) that alot of TV shows/films/books are deliberately non-specific about location in order to be more universal. I'm fairly sure they never mention Croydon, or anywhere else specifically in London, and that has to be deliberate. It's less distracting, less insular and people can empathise easier if they just live in 'average non-specific area of London'.

Have a feeling I could have expressed that better. Sorry.

Real world locations have been mentioned during the show, once at a party with Dobby and Gerard where it was said by Mark that Dobby was from Catford and Gerard was from Balham and I'm sure they named Thornton Heath at one point as well in the last series. Of course apart from that they rarely talk about location by name at all so you may be right.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 22, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Junkenstein posted:

Any opinions on The Fades?

Johnny & the Dead with added cornea shaving. The protagonist is a fatherless, "not mental but different" teen struggling to find his independence against a backdrop of light horror with his comic best friend and his girlfriend if only he wasn't so shy and awkward to see her. I guess it's for young adults rather than children as they say gently caress once every 15 minutes, but it's not for me.
Also, I hope the protagonist dies for saying "Terry Pratchett's wit with Alan Moore's soul".

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Anyone watch Educating Essex last night? It's quite amusing and it's good that there's at least some television going "look! Children aren't all a bunch of feckless arseholes!"

Also from a production point of view the level of access they've got is astounding and I can only begin to imagine the absolute bloody nightmare compliance on that must have been. "you want to put cameras in a building full of under 18 year olds and watch them all day? gently caress you say!?"

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

"look! Children aren't all a bunch of feckless arseholes!"

Things must have changed since I went to school.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
See, when I filmed a bunch of teenagers covertly for weeks on end I got told to sign the sex offenders register, it's one rule for the fatcat TV companies and another for the average man. :jeb:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

See, when I filmed a bunch of teenagers covertly for weeks on end I got told to sign the sex offenders register, it's one rule for the fatcat TV companies and another for the average man. :jeb:

Fun fact: whilst under production at TwoFour it had the working title of "Channel 4's Enhanced CRB Check Circus"

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Anyone watch Educating Essex last night? It's quite amusing and it's good that there's at least some television going "look! Children aren't all a bunch of feckless arseholes!"

Also from a production point of view the level of access they've got is astounding and I can only begin to imagine the absolute bloody nightmare compliance on that must have been. "you want to put cameras in a building full of under 18 year olds and watch them all day? gently caress you say!?"

The whole thing was worth it for watching that girls face drop when he pointed at the camera.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I quite enjoyed Educating Essex, having only left school three years ago I could see a lot of my own school in theirs. They did seem to have behaviour on a much tighter lockdown than most schools I've been in though. In my secondary school, if a teacher asked a student to take off a hoody in the corridor, about 40% of kids would just ignore them and run off.

It took me out of it a bit every now and then though, when I realised some of the kids were mic'ed up. I know reality TV's never proper reality, but when that Charlotte (I think) girl came into Drew's office she must have been stopped and asked to put on a mic first, and that's bound to affect how you act.

Also:

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

:jeb:
We have a Kerbal smiley?!

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Having just started my first proper teaching job a few weeks ago (PGCE student teacher last year, qualified in June), it was pretty great. I felt it had a very similar feel to the police documentary they did a while back. I think it was called 'Coppers'.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd catch When TV Goes To War before it gets taken off iPlayer in the next few days, very interesting.

The odd controversy over the Monicled Mutineer bit is just facinating.

It was okay, but to be honest I thought it was far too much like a Channel 4 "I love The..." style fluff clipshow. Lots of breadth, not a lot of depth, and far too much focus on meaningless fluff poo poo.
I'd have much preferred it if they had stuck to covering the meatier things like the Monocled Mutineer and Tumbledown than Dad's Army and that 60's spy toss.

Having Gary: Tank Commander defended on the grounds that people weren't ready for it so soon was inexcusable. It was clear even from those clips that it failed because it was dreadful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But I like Dads Army and Gary :(.

But yeah, they could have been a lot more in depth. We really didn't need MoD people pointing out to us that all the spy stuff in the sixties wasn't realistic. We sort of figuired this out ourselves a long time ago.

I'm glad to see Tumbledown will be on the iPlayer next week though, woo!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I loved how the creator of that Gary: Tank Commander thing seemed to think people didn't like it because they were offended by it. No it's just not very good, mate.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Funny that Threads wasn't mentioned at all too.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

ChuckDHead posted:

The last post of his that I remember cited Bernard Manning as having a valid opinion. Probably taking the piss a bit.

Im not trolling or taking the piss at all, sorry we all have to have the same opinion on the internet? :confused:, some people like reality tv some don't. When is Misfits back?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I remember there was a documentary about Manning ages ago. And yes, he is a horrible man, but then he came out with "50 years ago, 100 white men chasing a black man was a lynching, nowadays it's called the PGA Tour". I mean, that's kind of clever (and probably stolen), you wonder why he couldn't come up with more stuff like that.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I remember there was a documentary about Manning ages ago. And yes, he is a horrible man, but then he came out with "50 years ago, 100 white men chasing a black man was a lynching, nowadays it's called the PGA Tour". I mean, that's kind of clever (and probably stolen), you wonder why he couldn't come up with more stuff like that.

Was it this where he narrates his own funeral from beyond the grave which is frankly bizarre and weirdly touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl52Az4keD0

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Was already done by Spike Milligan at Secombes funeral and Harry Secombe from beyond the grave at his funeral.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Was already done by Spike Milligan at Secombes funeral and Harry Secombe from beyond the grave at his funeral.

Harry Secombe's dead? When did that happen?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The one about the Unorthadox Jew in that weird eulogy video is a good 'un too.

Edit: There's an interesting interview between him and Mark Lamarr here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5FoMng00bA

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 23, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

There's a theatre named after Harry Secombe where I live. It's the same dismal suburb at the bottom of South London where PhoneShop is set :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Having a teenage sister has its advantages. I managed to convince her that Darkplace was an actual show back in the 80s and I used to watch it all the time.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Harry Secombe's dead? When did that happen?

Before Spike Milligan. Which meant he foolishly thought he was safe from Secombe's threat to sing at his funeral, but that minor problem was circumvented with the aid of a tape recorder.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Before Spike Milligan. Which meant he foolishly thought he was safe from Secombe's threat to sing at his funeral, but that minor problem was circumvented with the aid of a tape recorder.

it's weird, because I can distinctly remember Spike Milligan, Frankie Howerd, Kenny Everett, Benny Hill and Kenneth Williams dying but not Harry Secombe. And I used to hate Songs Of Praise with a passion

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Taping An Idiot abroad because, you know, Alice Roberts :allears:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Ddraig posted:

Having a teenage sister has its advantages. I managed to convince her that Darkplace was an actual show back in the 80s and I used to watch it all the time.

Aaah. Classic '80s Peruvian broadcasting :allears:

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I quite enjoyed Fresh Meat. The toilet stand-off was excellent, and the 'Knutsford' nickname tickled me. I also don't know anything about Whitehouse so I don't have to deal with that baggage.

edit: not 'Nutsford'... southerner checking in.

Resonance fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 24, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I've really never liked whatshisface in anything before ever, but I honestly thought he was the best part of Fresh Meat. Simon from Inbetweeners was basically Simon: University Edition and I'm bored of that character already, and introducing a trite "will they? won't they?" in the very first episode was a bad, bad move.

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
Inside Out: Ticking With the Crow/The Officers' Mess

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00jmsz6/Inside_Out_Ticking_With_the_Crow_The_Officers_Mess/

I just watched the first half of this, its a documentary from 1989 about 1 LI in Berlin. The thing that makes it stand out though, is that its 2 parts with the Soldiers and Officers getting a part each, each had full editorial control over what went into the documentary.

Some really on the nose stuff from the Soldiers side of it, especially concerning a IRA bombing they were victim to.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Apparently the CO got posted to the Falklands after that was broadcast. I think it's safe to say the MoD weren't impressed.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So... any other sheep watching X-Factor? :3:

If not, never fear. It's the same awfulness as ever, with yet more offensive exploitation.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
I particularly liked it when they picked out that one kid on his own, told him what a massive disappointment he had been and made him cry before telling him he got through.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Picked up the Darkplace DVD today, bloody hell the commentary is fantastic.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Did Johnny Woss just say he has "Alan Partridge" Next week?

Is it too much to hope for an in character interview? His ITV show is a shadow of the BBC one anyway, a bit like knowing me, the whole thing is a bit full circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Picked up the Darkplace DVD today, bloody hell the commentary is fantastic.

One of my favourites next to the I'm Alan Partridge in character commentary.