Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

FistLips posted:

I'm looking for a way to run a simple .exe file on my girlfriend's Macbook running Snow Leopard. I've got both licenses for both VMWare and Parallels (yay Macupdate bundles!) but it feels like overkill just to run one little program. What is the easiest and simplest way to go about this? Wine? Crossover? Preferably free if possible.

IIRC, Crossover is basically just a well-marketed WINE. It's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Martytoof posted:

a: Does dmesg or Console.app show anything relevant to your hangups?

b: Yep, I'm like 99% sure it was Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/friends/friend_online.wav

a) What would I be looking for in Console.app?

b) weird because I don't have steam and all of a sudden my machine has been making stupid and annoying noises of all types at random points.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FistLips posted:

I'm looking for a way to run a simple .exe file on my girlfriend's Macbook running Snow Leopard. I've got both licenses for both VMWare and Parallels (yay Macupdate bundles!) but it feels like overkill just to run one little program. What is the easiest and simplest way to go about this? Wine? Crossover? Preferably free if possible.

The program is a digital book with some geneaology stuff. You can find it here if you want to: http://home.no/bygdebok/ - downloadable by clicking on the header. I have no idea if it's got any viruses or anything, so click at your own risk.
Wineskin is probably the easiest, since it has no dependencies. You just end up with a nice .app file. I'll see if I can throw one together for you a little later, unless you beat me to it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Sigma posted:

http://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/

This might help.

Thank you so much. It's only a few seconds of inconvenience right now, but to be rid of it is great. I actually really like the inverse scrolling when using the trackpad, but the mouse scrolling staying normal makes more sense.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't know if this is specifically an Automator question or an OS specific question or if there's possibly a 3rd party application that could do this for me, but is there a way to implement wildcards into the OS "find and replace" function? Basically I've got a directory of hundreds of folders all named by date (010110,010210,etc) and I want to rename every single one of them from 10 to 11. Right now I've got a basic Automator workflow setup, but it doesn't appear to allow for wildcards, so instead of changing "****10 to ****11" I have to simply change "10 to 11". This works but it's a pain in the but to go back and fix the folders that this messes with (and also every single day in October).

I'll probably just end up doing this by hand because not only are there hundreds of folders that need renamed but also files within each folder (xxx-010110.jpg) and actual HTML that needs changed.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

rename

Name Mangler is pretty decent.
http://manytricks.com/namemangler/

Also you could do this via advanced command line stuff, but if you're not a fan of learning shell scripting then I'd try out Name Mangler.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Awesome. Definitely looks more featured than a simple Automator workflow. I'll check it out.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

How do business/academic purchases in the App Store work if you're not in the States? Is it even possible to buy a couple of Lion licenses without using your own personal Apple ID and credit card?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Petey posted:

a) What would I be looking for in Console.app?

It's hard to say. Set your time display in the menubar to show seconds as well, then check the menubar time when you see a lockup. Open console.app and check the appropriate time. Errors are pretty easy to spot, or at least it should look like something out of the ordinary. Then again if you're not used to looking through console.app everything might look out of the ordinary.

If there IS something there around the time your computer locked up and you can't figure it out, just throw it up on pastebin and maybe we can parse through it. Perhaps give it +/- 1 minute worth of logs if they're not horribly chatty.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I just moved to the San Francisco Bay area. Yesterday I got Comcast to start internet service in my new place.

My Airport Express, connected to a Motorola modem, did 2 things as I monkied with Airport Utility trying to get it to work:

1. Lit up green, but didn't allow any of my devices online
2. Lit up amber + blinky (meaning an error), but allowed my laptop alone online

Not thinking it would help, I changed it to distribute IP addresses from the 10.0.1.x format to the 192.168.1.x format. Now everything works fine.

Anyone know why it behaved this way? Makes no sense to me.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 24, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Your Motorola modem might be using the same internal IP as the AirPort Express. Even though your modem displays the external IP to connected devices once a connection is established, it still retains an internal IP for diagnostic and informational purposes. For example, my AirPort Express uses 192.168.1.1 while my Cisco modem uses 192.168.100.1.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Couple of pages back someone was asking about a To-Do list app, but it was excluding Omnifocus and Things.

Is OmniFocus the reining app? Do any of you use this kind of software?
Seems pricey but right now i'm just using Gcal to plan things out, and for tasks that require multiple steps it isn't easy to make Google Calendar work.

Should I spare my wallet or have any of you find Omnifocus or a similar app conducive to Work/School?

Also - IOS5 supposedly has some new features that are Omnifocus like, but given that I've never tried the software not sure what that means.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kalix posted:

Also - IOS5 supposedly has some new features that are Omnifocus like, but given that I've never tried the software not sure what that means.
Here's Apple's description of iOS 5 reminders.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Kalix posted:

Couple of pages back someone was asking about a To-Do list app, but it was excluding Omnifocus and Things.

Seems pricey but right now i'm just using Gcal to plan things out, and for tasks that require multiple steps it isn't easy to make Google Calendar work.

Should I spare my wallet or have any of you find Omnifocus or a similar app conducive to Work/School?

Similarly how does BaseCamp compare to OmniFocus and Things?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wineskin is probably the easiest, since it has no dependencies. You just end up with a nice .app file. I'll see if I can throw one together for you a little later, unless you beat me to it.

Thanks! Giving this a shot now!

Edit: seems easy enough and it runs as it should! Thanks a lot guys!

Edit 2: except that it doesn't. It runs fine on my machine with Wineskin installed but when I try to copy the resulting .app over to the other mac it crashes. And the file is 230 Megabyte when the original is just around 20. I'll figure it out! Thanks again!

FistLips fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 24, 2011

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh God, I'd totally forgotten about Location Reminders. iOS 5 cannot loving come fast enough.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I found a couple of cool apps a while back, installed them, and promptly forgot them. I figure if I write some words about them, I'll remember I have them and save myself time in the future, so here's a post.

• ShellHere can be dragged to your Finder toolbar, and it opens a new Terminal window at the current location. Straightforward and useful.
  • LSelect can also be dragged to your Finder toolbar. When you open it, you are presented with a text field into which you type a regular expression, and when you hit return, it will select files with filenames that match the pattern; if you type *.app, it will select all the applications in the current directory. You can then move them around, delete them, whatever, from within the Finder, without having to pop into Terminal.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just downloaded Sparrow, and it is very stylish. Liking it so far.

One question: Can I add labels in Unified Inbox mode, or do I have to check the individual accounts? I liked that I could see all of my labels and any new mail inside in Mail.app.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Kalix posted:

If you're just looking for something to keep track of some tasks, maybe with some categories, then OmniFocus or Things will be overkill. Especially when you add up the purchases across platforms. Neither is cheap.

If you really do need to start keeping track of a lot of tasks for separate projects at the same time, or if you really want to get into GTD, then you should consider them. At work, one of my teammates and I use Things. Another teammate and my manager use OmniFocus. Both will allow you to follow GTD as much as you like. They both have inboxes, areas of responsibility (separate from projects), tags, due dates, and quick task entry panel (hotkey to add highlighted text/email as todo with link).

OmniFocus has had the more reliable sync experience over the past year or so. It has more features and more knobs to turn to get it to behave as you like. It has more ways to classify and sort through tasks. Just more features overall, really.

Things has gone through some periods in which the syncing has been pretty flaky, but I haven't had issues over the past few months. It has a cleaner and (I think) more aesthetically pleasing UI. I use it because I much prefer how it looks. The focus is on the tasks and not a bunch of UI for managing them. I can get in and out without having to notice or think about the UI.

Things will supposedly get serverside syncing (like OmniFocus already has) eventually. (I can't use that, though, so I'm hopeful they'll keep local sync around for me...)

I know this stuff is expensive, but it's been much easier for me to get through the day with Things, even with my mild adherence to GTD. A lot of tasks that I spent time remembering are remembered for me, and categorized in ways that I will see them again when necessary, so I can focus on something other than just trying to remember the eight things I have to do for three unrelated projects.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kalix posted:

Macworld has a little more on the iOS 5 reminders here, and I'm sure there's stories/posts about it from others messing with the betas. Looks pretty basic but could be enough depending on what you're really wanting. My needs are pretty basic, just different lists (like you can have separate lists for work and school) and subtasks (...which are basically just lists within lists), it doesn't look like iOS will have that latter one but I haven't followed the beta know for sure. Sounds like you'd use subtasks, so maybe you can get away with just making separate lists for them. It does have other stuff like priority at least.

Currently I use 2Do on iOS but I've heard their current syncing isn't the greatest so I haven't messed with it much, I'm basically just waiting on iCloud for that to hopefully get sorted out.

vlack posted:

I found a couple of cool apps a while back, installed them, and promptly forgot them. I figure if I write some words about them, I'll remember I have them and save myself time in the future, so here's a post.

• ShellHere can be dragged to your Finder toolbar, and it opens a new Terminal window at the current location. Straightforward and useful.
  • LSelect can also be dragged to your Finder toolbar. When you open it, you are presented with a text field into which you type a regular expression, and when you hit return, it will select files with filenames that match the pattern; if you type *.app, it will select all the applications in the current directory. You can then move them around, delete them, whatever, from within the Finder, without having to pop into Terminal.
Thanks, these sound pretty nice. Just to make sure cause it looks like they haven't been updated in a while, do these work fine on Lion?

michelleke
Aug 10, 2002
I can't get past the grey apple screen. :(
I have a 2008 MacBook pro, 10.6.8.
Problem started when I was using eyetv, watching a recorded program in fullscreen. Picture froze, bottom half had faint lines and beach-balling that occasionally stopped to play audio. Unable to esc out of fullscreen I powered off. Restarted fine, I looked at the console and found a bunch of entries about virtualbox, i then trashed virtualbox. Went back to eyetv and fullscreen, minutes later it happened again but without lines. Powered off, starting up now I can't get past the grey apple loading screen. I've reset the pram and smc with no luck.
Please help!
Edit: nevermind, inserting the snow leopard disk got me unstuck.

michelleke fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 25, 2011

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I don't know if this is specifically an Automator question or an OS specific question or if there's possibly a 3rd party application that could do this for me, but is there a way to implement wildcards into the OS "find and replace" function? Basically I've got a directory of hundreds of folders all named by date (010110,010210,etc) and I want to rename every single one of them from 10 to 11. Right now I've got a basic Automator workflow setup, but it doesn't appear to allow for wildcards, so instead of changing "****10 to ****11" I have to simply change "10 to 11". This works but it's a pain in the but to go back and fix the folders that this messes with (and also every single day in October).

I'll probably just end up doing this by hand because not only are there hundreds of folders that need renamed but also files within each folder (xxx-010110.jpg) and actual HTML that needs changed.

If you haven't already shelled out the :10bux: you can just do this in terminal:

for dir in $(command ls); do mv $dir ${dir%10}11; done

edit: it shouldn't be too different for jpg files either... probably just change the line to say: ${dir%10.jpg}11.jpg. HTML you'll probably have to use sed, but it's not that complex if you're just changing hrefs.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 25, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Distorted video on a 2008 MBP, you say? And then problems booting?

Visit the Genius Bar, I say. Seriously, though, if you've got one nearby, go get it checked out. It's free, takes like 5 minutes once they actually get to you, and you may win a brand new logic board.

In the mean time, see if you can boot from the recovery CD. It could potentially be something boring like a failing hard drive (if it hasn't written itself off yet, it can just. deliver. data... very.... slowly, making boot take forever), which will be evident if it boots fine from the DVD but not from the HDD.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Ugh, first major Lion problem:

FileVault 2 enabled -- Tried to setup a Boot Camp partition with Boot Camp Assistant. Process seems to move forward normally. It gets to the end and asks me to provide it with a removable disk to put some Windows Files on (presumably because the newer Lion stuff w/ FileVault encryption require some extra bits). I do so, copy seems to go fine...

Then, something strange happens. It returns to what looks like the partition window, with a progress bar below it, sitting somewhere near 40%; Above it, a label that says: Status: Idle.

I left it alone for quite a bit longer and nothing changed. No disk activity, no error windows, nothing. So I quit the program and restart the computer. Upon returning to MacOS, I notice I am short on disk space in the amount I had partitioned, but I do not see any partition anywhere in Finder or Disk Utility. It's as though the space is 'gone' (though, Disk Utility does report the correct overall size of the disk).

So, here I am, next morning. I've let FileVault decrypt the drive (still no extra partition), and now I'm burning Lion to DVD. I've backed up my important information.

Is there anything else I could try? I was thinking about booting off the Win 7 (64-bit) disk to see if the space is there, but I'm really just a little pissed that I've got to reload my system.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
Dual Booting Lion and Windows 7, what is the best way to write to my NTFS drives from Lion?

false image
Nov 24, 2004

filthy Americans... praise Allah

chimz posted:

Name Mangler is pretty decent.
http://manytricks.com/namemangler/

Also you could do this via advanced command line stuff, but if you're not a fan of learning shell scripting then I'd try out Name Mangler.

Renamer is also nice http://renamer.com/

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

unruly posted:

I left it alone for quite a bit longer and nothing changed. No disk activity, no error windows, nothing. So I quit the program and restart the computer. Upon returning to MacOS, I notice I am short on disk space in the amount I had partitioned, but I do not see any partition anywhere in Finder or Disk Utility. It's as though the space is 'gone' (though, Disk Utility does report the correct overall size of the disk).

What size is the MacOS partition? Will Disk Utility let you resize it (or add another partition)?

Basically what happens when you run through the assistant is that it resizes the Mac OS X partition, and then it creates a new partition for Boot Camp. Odds are it got through half of that, and the space is just unpartitioned at the moment.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
So the past few days, my networking has stopped working randomly. When I do a reboot (which often requires me to hold down the power button instead of a proper reboot) it reloads all apps that I have running so I can get an internet connection for a few minutes, but then whatever app loads that causes the problems cuts it off.

The log file during this process is shown here http://pastebin.com/vdXAjgyr

Can anyone take a look at it to help me figure out what app is causing all of the problems?

In the meantime, I got it to reboot without restoring all the previously open apps and everything is ok so far, but it won't last I'm sure.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Terpfen posted:

There ARE Trojans, which the AV apps in question do nothing against because they scan for Windows viruses;
Actually, ClamAV has definitions for all the Mac trojans; presumably, the commercial products do too.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Modern Pragmatist posted:

So the past few days, my networking has stopped working randomly. When I do a reboot (which often requires me to hold down the power button instead of a proper reboot) it reloads all apps that I have running so I can get an internet connection for a few minutes, but then whatever app loads that causes the problems cuts it off.

It looks like you still have an old CiscoVPN installed somewhere; it's trying to load the Cisco VPN kernel extension (which, even when it did work, was known to cause issues) and failing. You also have some sort of Parallels network adapter daemon trying to start up.

I'd start with trying to get rid of all traces of the CiscoVPN (at least its kernel extension), then disabling the Parallels network thing, and see how far that gets you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

jhunter46 posted:

Dual Booting Lion and Windows 7, what is the best way to write to my NTFS drives from Lion?

Tuxera NTFS has been treating me well lately. Nice and fast with a decent GUI.
My only complain would be I can't get the EFI partition to not mount.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Appachai posted:

That's crazy. Do I need to have anti-malware stuff too like ad-aware or malwarebytes?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, disable automatic execution of files from Safari in the preferences. Reason being so far the malicious vectors of malware have been through websites exploiting this feature in Safari and get the malware on your system. Don't pirate applications as they also have been known to have malware injected in them as well. If your system randomly asks for your password to make changes and you aren't installing an application from a trusted source or doing things like keychain modification click Cancel and you're pretty much protected.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
I recently purchased a new iMac and Thunderbolt Display for work. The display came early - is there a way to use this with my mid-2009 Macbook Pro? If I can't, it's not a big deal. My new iMac will be here at the end of the week,

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

~Coxy posted:

Tuxera NTFS has been treating me well lately. Nice and fast with a decent GUI.
My only complain would be I can't get the EFI partition to not mount.

And I've been using Paragon NTFS for a couple of years. Stable and fast.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Molten Llama posted:

Distorted video on a 2008 MBP, you say? And then problems booting?

Visit the Genius Bar, I say. Seriously, though, if you've got one nearby, go get it checked out. It's free, takes like 5 minutes once they actually get to you, and you may win a brand new logic board.
For anybody who might still be vulnerable to / experiencing this problem, go sooner rather than later because if your machine is more than 4 years old you are SOL.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My iMac is almost 4 years old and I'm not contemplating instead of getting a new machine, just buying a thunderbolt display and using my new 13" MBA as my main machine. Of course, this would involve putting all my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on an external drive, which isn't too bit of an issue, but I have some questions.

Since I'll be doing this, is there an easy way to merge libraries of both programs? Such as, I have a bunch of photos on my MBA that aren't on my iMac's iPhoto library, and I want to transfer them over easily so they will also be on the large external drive. If I also am on the road and put some pictures or new music on my MBA will I have to do a dance where I am constantly reassigning the music/photo Library whenever I hook up to the external drive?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Yesterday I installed a Flash update. Now I learn there's malware spreading around under the guise of a Flash update. How can I tell if my Flash update was legitimate?

It seems like a legitimate copy. I didn't click any buttons; the update just appeared like other Flash updates have. I just want to ensure my system is still safe and sound.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
(crosspost from mac gaming thread, which was buried after about 10 minutes...)

Is there an SNES emulator that works under Lion? Is SNES9X supposed to? (Mine doesn't, but I wasn't really able to find a good answer as to whether that is an individual problem or an inherent problem.)

edit: What the hell, I get home and it works immediately. Oh well...

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 27, 2011

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yesterday I installed a Flash update. Now I learn there's malware spreading around under the guise of a Flash update. How can I tell if my Flash update was legitimate?

It seems like a legitimate copy. I didn't click any buttons; the update just appeared like other Flash updates have. I just want to ensure my system is still safe and sound.

Intego security blog:

quote:

The malware installs a dyld (dynamic loader) library and auto-launch code, allowing it to inject code into applications the user launches. This code, installed in a file at ~/Library/Preferences/Preferences.dylib, connects to a remote server, and sends information about the infected Mac to this server: this includes the computer’s MAC address, a unique identifier. This will allow the malware to detect if a Mac is infected.

Check for that file. If it's not there, you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's a good thing Apple prevents you from viewing your Library by default in Lion. :suicide: