Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I thought that Strega was a good idea on paper, but with failed execution. The idea of an "evil" counterpart to SEES was good, but they created more plotholes and awkward moments than they were worth. Takaya's Plot Gun in particular was egregious.
Though I regret that the cult part in the end was never expended upon. Maybe because it would have meant fighting generic human beings and possibly killing them, which would be a no no to SEES?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In general I kind of wish STREGA were in the limelight more. I thought they were all cool but besides Chidori, they didn't really get the screen time they deserved.

Me too, I really loved Jin and Takaya for some reason. I love Jin's english VA too for some reason. Chidori was kinda...dumb.

Iceclaw posted:

I thought that Strega was a good idea on paper, but with failed execution. The idea of an "evil" counterpart to SEES was good, but they created more plotholes and awkward moments than they were worth. Takaya's Plot Gun in particular was egregious.
Though I regret that the cult part in the end was never expended upon. Maybe because it would have meant fighting generic human beings and possibly killing them, which would be a no no to SEES?

I half-agree with you. I feel like the cult was down well for the most part at first I felt like it was just a way for you to feel like poo poo was going to hell as the promised day draws nearer and nearer and I never expected much more for the cult. Then sure enough you find out Jin and Takaya are the ones running things.

I'm kinda glad you never fight any cultists or anything though, Silent Hill has soured me toward the whole evil cult order in video games. I just see the cult as a way for Jin and Takaya to gently caress with people and have fun because they've known for a long time that they were cheated out of their own lives and want to live in the moment.

What does bother me is that there is absolutely no fall out over the fact Kirijo group are the ones responsible for strega and hundreds of dead children they tried to force persona summoning powers on. I know by the time its revealed people want to just kill Nyx but christ, Mitsuru and the rest of the cast don't seem that dismayed AT all. She should have at least tried to pull Jin away from the shadows, for the sake of "honor" or something. Instead she just tells everyone to move on and they run away. I know the end is near and they probably felt they would be wasting time trying to help one of their enemies..but it just felt weird.

The reveal about strega should have been sooner.

Oh well, still loved the game. Most rpgs have worse plotholes I think.

About 30 minutes into Persona 4 and I already like the setting more. Whatever poster said the characters had more chemistry is right.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What bugged me about Chidori the most probably was her english VA sounded way too old.

And her cringe worthy cosplayer moe-suit. I like how the strega members consist of teenage Rasputin with tattoes, quirky computer hacker dude with a briefcase and some chick pulled from an anime convention.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 24, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What bugged me about Chidori the most probably was her english VA sounded way too old.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Can someone who's beaten the Psp version tell me how "epic" the ending feels in comparison? I know I berated them before, but I think the last couple of cutscenes in the game were pretty good and really helped up the scale. I'm trying to imagine how it would have felt without them.

The lack of cut scenes obviously makes things less dramatic, but if you play as a girl in P3P, then Ryoji is a social link, so it's all the more distressing to see him as that... thing. I was all like "You're not my Ryoji. Give me my Ryoji back!:(

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Nessa posted:

The lack of cut scenes obviously makes things less dramatic, but if you play as a girl in P3P, then Ryoji is a social link, so it's all the more distressing to see him as that... thing. I was all like "You're not my Ryoji. Give me my Ryoji back!:(

Wow the fact he's a social link along with your teammates is enough reason for me to want to pick the psp version. I ended up really enjoying the combat and demon fusion even if the game wasn't that hard once I knew what to do, it just brought me pleasure in a way that breaking FFT did. My thunder reign beelzebub was doing more damage to the last boss than Lucifer. Kinda disappointed to hear there's no secret dungeon floor in P4, like Monad where I can become leveled fast and get the really badass strong persona. I just get such a kick out of having Satan and co with me.

I think the cutscenes I really enjoyed a whole lot were when Nyx avatar descended down and it cuts to his face, which was loving scary. I've read about black eyed kids in some creepy pasta a couple of years ago so I guess that's why he was so scary to me. It was an awesome, awesome boss fight too.

Other favorite cutscene was seeing him uh...turn the moon into a giant scary eye thing. I seriously went through the game kinda disliking how bad the cutscenes were but that and seeing the people freaking out/going crazy on the streets was surreal as hell. You're lucky you got to see someone playing the ps2 version while playing, in my opinion, the "funner" one. At first I enjoyed the AI because I thought options worked pretty well...that is until I got several gameovers once Yukari had wind break and preferred to use that instead of her spells while set to heal :downs:.

I'm trying to sell my best friend on this game because he's one of those types that insists good jrpgs stopped existing after the end of the psx era. He has the psp version at least, but he's playing the male route. If I lived near him I'd lend him my ps2 copy. People should experience both versions and I'm glad I listened to forum posters here

Persona 4 related: for the dungeons do I tackle one all at once or do I gradually defeat bosses each day like in Tartarus? There's no fatigue in P4 so I'm kind of wondering about what routine I want to go into.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 24, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

P4 limits you by not letting you recover SP automagically in the hub. You can do it all in one go if you've got the SP or funds to do so, or you can spread it out. You might wanna just go in on rainy days, because that's more or less what they're there for.

...but, you know, sooner is better than later, because a certain SLink is only available after you finished the dungeon du jour.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolphin Fetus posted:

spoiler]Kinda disappointed to hear there's no secret dungeon floor in P4, like Monad where I can become leveled fast and get the really badass strong persona. I just get such a kick out of having Satan and co with me.[/spoiler]
Well, there's no secret dungeon for grinding, but there is this one enemy in a lategame dungeon that's extremely exploitable.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Persona 4 related: for the dungeons do I tackle one all at once or do I gradually defeat bosses each day like in Tartarus? There's no fatigue in P4 so I'm kind of wondering about what routine I want to go into.

I generally tackled the dungeons in one day. More time to grind out social links and the like.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Spoiler regarding Kirijou Group

Dolphin Fetus posted:

What does bother me is that there is absolutely no fall out over the fact Kirijo group are the ones responsible

There was, ten years ago. That's why Kirijou Group rebuilt the lab into a school and renovated half the town. The mall is even named after the 'kiri' in 'Kirijou' (Paulownia tree). There's also the "Two in Harmony Surpass One in Perfection" plaque in the school, a reference to when the Kirijou group was still part of the Nanjou group, and a direct reference to Persona 1 and 2.

One of the light novels covered The Incident Ten Years Ago, including Kouetsu Kirijou's descent into madness. I don't think it's canon though, because the author implies that Nyarlathotep (or something that fits his description) was at least partly responsible, and that Philemon saves a boy's life from a car crash on the bridge after Death is turned loose.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Wow the fact he's a social link along with your teammates is enough reason for me to want to pick the psp version. I ended up really enjoying the combat and demon fusion even if the game wasn't that hard once I knew what to do, it just brought me pleasure in a way that breaking FFT did. My thunder reign beelzebub was doing more damage to the last boss than Lucifer. Kinda disappointed to hear there's no secret dungeon floor in P4, like Monad where I can become leveled fast and get the really badass strong persona. I just get such a kick out of having Satan and co with me.

The girl route has much better Social Links, in general. Junpei(Magician) and Yukari are available to hang out with right off the bat. Akihiko(Star) requires 4 Charm and gives the best Christmas present. Shinji is Moon, Koro is Stength, Ken is Justice (don't date Ken) and Ryoji is Fortune.

Social linking with all of your team mates makes the game so much better in my opinion. Friendship. :unsmith:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nessa posted:

The girl route has much better Social Links, in general. Junpei(Magician) and Yukari are available to hang out with right off the bat. Akihiko(Star) requires 4 Charm and gives the best Christmas present. Shinji is Moon, Koro is Stength, Ken is Justice (don't date Ken) and Ryoji is Fortune.

Social linking with all of your team mates makes the game so much better in my opinion. Friendship. :unsmith:

Here's the most important question with respect to me possibly continuing my P3P run eventually: is Sun the same? Because it would feel wrong to not have access to that social link.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Here's the most important question with respect to me possibly continuing my P3P run eventually: is Sun the same? Because it would feel wrong to not have access to that social link.

Yup

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Dolphin Fetus posted:

For the most part, one day clears are probably best. But for the first dungeon, don't knock yourself if you need a few days for it. It's a bitch to clear all at once without any of the tools for SP regeneration you get later on. And there's really no benefit for finishing it in one day. So take your time with that one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While there's no tiredness in P4, excessive dungeon diving is going to cut into your afternoon S-Link hours, so it's generally encouraged to make fewer trips.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

YggiDee posted:

While there's no tiredness in P4, excessive dungeon diving is going to cut into your afternoon S-Link hours, so it's generally encouraged to make fewer trips.

Also, on rainy days, nearly all social links are not available, and the enemies drop better special items.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, basically do as much as you possibly can in as few days as possible, but if you're spent before you can get to the end, take a break. When you return you can automatically skip to the farthest floor you've reached. Since no one wants to hang out on rainy days, and there are better enemies (and drops?), try to go if it's raining.

This doesn't really apply to the first dungeon as much because it's probably one of the hardest parts of the game. You've only got three party members and very few S.Links by that point so take as many trips as you need (but try to squeeze as much out of each trip as you can).

Eventually you'll be able to buy SP regeneration at the dungeon hub. It's really pricey but it gets cheaper as you level up the Hermit S.Link. Once you have access to Hermit, get it as high as you can. Eventually you'll be able to finish entire dungeons, including boss, in a single trip.

If there's a rainy day and you've already beaten the dungeon, you can go to the Aiya for some chinese food - it's 3000 yen but it boosts 3 stats at once. A number of S.Links require your social stats to go up. Reading books (bought from the bookstore) at night is another good way to boost your stats. Some S.Links also increase your stats (for instance, attending culture club will boost Expression and also level up Sun).

Also, prioritize your party members' S.Links because they get cool new things in combat.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Thanks! This is all incredibly helpful and makes stuff a lot easier for me.

I heard about a true ending in the game as well, what do I need to worry about for unlocking it? Too scared to google or look up on gamefaqs because people don't mind spoiling poo poo with little to no ramifications.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

When it seems like the game is over, go to Junes, even though the game insists there's no reason for you to do so. That's for the true ending. Earlier in the game, there's a decision that will get you either the bad ending, or set you on the path to the normal and true endings. On December 3rd, you'll be asked six questions, all of which you have to choose the right answer for or you'll get the bad ending. Post again when you make it there, because there's no way to tell you the right answers without spoilers. (Well I suppose somebody could tell you which answers to choose numerically, but I can't remember that.)

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 25, 2011

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Remember the game's theme: Truth is vital. Do not accept insatisfying answers and loose ends.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

When it seems like the game is over, go to Junes, even though the game insists there's no reason for you to do so. That's for the true ending. Earlier in the game, there's a decision that will get you either the bad ending, or set you on the path to the normal and true endings. On December 3rd, you'll be asked six questions, all of which you have to choose the right answer for or you'll get the bad ending. Post again when you make it there, because there's no way to tell you the right answers without spoilers. (Well I suppose somebody could tell you which answers to choose numerically, but I can't remember that.)

Or, you know, you could not be an idiot and avoid the bad end simply by thinking things through when you're making choices in heavily charged situations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nessa posted:

Ohhh, ooooh! Have it be someplace remote like Antartica! You're there as part of a research mission and have so many months before you leave. The other scientists won't believe you and won't understand what's going on, so it's up to you and your bunk mates/buddies to solve the mystery under the Antarctic ice! Yeah!

Someone's throwing penguins into the TV!

So it's like The Thing, only this is your Persona.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

Or, you know, you could not be an idiot and avoid the bad end simply by thinking things through when you're making choices in heavily charged situations.

Yeah it really isn't that hard to avoid the bad end, you could easily do it without a guide, but hey, the guy asked a question, so I answered him as best as I could. Besides, the game does railroad you up to that point, so I could see somebody who doesn't think their answer will actually affect the plot getting the bad end.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 25, 2011

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

P4 gives you a lot more leeway to finish your S.Links than P3 did. You don't need to do one-day clears of each dungeon to max out most or all of your S.Links. The only S.Links you might accidentally not be able to complete are the Dojimas, because they aren't available after a certain point (October? I forget).

Also, doing the whole first dungeon on one day is a pain in the rear end unless you grind like hell and/or get lucky drawing those after-battle tarot cards that restore your SP. Personally, I preferred to get up to the mid-boss of each dungeon, leave, upgrade whatever items I could, and clear the rest of the dungeon on the next rainy day - if only to break up the grind of trying to clear the entire dungeon in one day.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

gtrmp posted:

Also, doing the whole first dungeon on one day is a pain in the rear end unless you grind like hell and/or get lucky drawing those after-battle tarot cards that restore your SP.

The Arcana chance doesn't start happening until after you've finished the first dungeon. But yeah, try to go as far as you can the first day in a dungeon. Also physical attacks work very well early on, especially Skull Cracker in the second dungeon where there are 3 normally annoying enemies that get confused by it like 100% of the time.

Twisted Paradox
Apr 24, 2007

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Axle_Stukov posted:

The Arcana chance doesn't start happening until after you've finished the first dungeon. But yeah, try to go as far as you can the first day in a dungeon. Also physical attacks work very well early on, especially Skull Cracker in the second dungeon where there are 3 normally annoying enemies that get confused by it like 100% of the time.

You can get arcana chances in the Castle, I got a reversed Death card once that allowed me to finish it in one go.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Really? In all my playthroughs I've never seen Arcana Chance start appearing until after I've beaten the boss of the first dungeon.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

gtrmp posted:

P4 gives you a lot more leeway to finish your S.Links than P3 did. You don't need to do one-day clears of each dungeon to max out most or all of your S.Links. The only S.Links you might accidentally not be able to complete are the Dojimas, because they aren't available after a certain point (October? I forget).
The caveat to this is the fact that you can lose nearly a month of S-link time at the end of the game if you finish the December dungeon too quickly. It skips ahead to Christmas when you beat the boss there, and there's no in-game warning that this will happen. But other than that, P4 really is considerably more lenient than P3. That said, clearing dungeons in one day isn't exactly hard once the game gives you SP restoration tools...and once you get plenty of great physical attacks. Physical attacks are so much more useful in P4 than they were in P3(despite the fact that P4 only had one type them and P3 had three types!) that it's almost ridiculous. So much so that for most party members, I usually only used magic if I had to knock something down. Healing HP with Dia- spells is much cheaper than casting magic at everything. :v:

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

Really? In all my playthroughs I've never seen Arcana Chance start appearing until after I've beaten the boss of the first dungeon.

Maybe it only starts happening after the midboss, or after you reach a certain floor of the castle.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Uhmm...what the hell is up with Mr.Morooka's teeth? Or is it his mustache? I cant stop staring at his portrait.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 25, 2011

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Uhmm...what the hell is up with Mr.Morooka's teeth? Or is it his mustache? I cant stop staring at his portrait.

He's just got some messed up teeth.

Speaking of Morooka.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Nessa posted:

He's just got some messed up teeth.

Speaking of Morooka.

THANK YOU. I haven't really gotten around to the Persona games much, much less 4, and couldn't remember that guy's name. Mainly because I wanted to find this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGUWu9pvPdc

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atlus released some new screenshots for Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Haifisch posted:

The caveat to this is the fact that you can lose nearly a month of S-link time at the end of the game if you finish the December dungeon too quickly. It skips ahead to Christmas when you beat the boss there, and there's no in-game warning that this will happen. But other than that, P4 really is considerably more lenient than P3. That said, clearing dungeons in one day isn't exactly hard once the game gives you SP restoration tools...and once you get plenty of great physical attacks. Physical attacks are so much more useful in P4 than they were in P3(despite the fact that P4 only had one type them and P3 had three types!) that it's almost ridiculous. So much so that for most party members, I usually only used magic if I had to knock something down. Healing HP with Dia- spells is much cheaper than casting magic at everything. :v:

Both games were just about spamming death spells. That and in P3 once you were done with all the stuff you have to do at night (meaning you always get plenty of sleep and are thus in great condition) you just spam vorpal blade which does extra damage (and crits more) if you are in great condition. Siegfried made the game super easy at the end.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Huh, I think that shot of Yukiko activating her super all but confirms more P3 characters then just Aegis. I had though that the text behind the character was simply their name, but on that screenshot clearly shows it's saying "P4 HERO".

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
God drat, going from Nocturne to Persona 2 PSP is terrible. The interface makes it drat near unplayable after the polish and slickness of Nocturne. Good thing the story and music are pretty good so far.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Axle_Stukov posted:

Huh, I think that shot of Yukiko activating her super all but confirms more P3 characters then just Aegis. I had though that the text behind the character was simply their name, but on that screenshot clearly shows it's saying "P4 HERO".

And when Aigis does it, it will say P3 HERO

What does that confirm?

also I gotta say:

Yukiko looks FANTASTIC in this pic, and Kanji looks stupid as hell. Yeah, I saw that gif with the chair and Kanji's a badass, but in this pic WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE????

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Spiffo posted:

And when Aigis does it, it will say P3 HERO

What does that confirm?

also I gotta say:

Yukiko looks FANTASTIC in this pic, and Kanji looks stupid as hell. Yeah, I saw that gif with the chair and Kanji's a badass, but in this pic WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE????

That pic also shows 4 blank cards and whereas there are only 2 members of the P4 cast who haven't been revealed yet (Teddie and Naoto) so I'd say there's a pretty good chance that we see more characters from Persona 3 or before.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

dude789 posted:

That pic also shows 4 blank cards and whereas there are only 2 members of the P4 cast who haven't been revealed yet (Teddie and Naoto) so I'd say there's a pretty good chance that we see more characters from Persona 3 or before.

perhaps

BUT!!!

EDIT: I will still pick Kanji and punch Yosuke in the face a lot

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 28, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe Bear-Teddie and Sparkly-Blond-Man Teddie count as different characters?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe Adachi might make it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Maybe Bear-Teddie and Sparkly-Blond-Man Teddie count as different characters?

No way, they'd have the same Persona that that would be no good.

There probably will be more P3 characters although the devs could stand to talk about them at least a little more. There's no way those extra cards are just for show.