Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Someone actually made Samurai Vader armour.

The circle is now complete.

It's just black samurai armor with a Vader mask over the helmet :psyduck:
And like someone said, Darth Vader's design is very inspired by samurai armor; the helmet, the arm guards, the boots. It's all very reminiscent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The actual helmet is very reminscent of German WW2 helmets as well. But yeah, there is a very samurai feel and look to him.

I think it works into his (laser)swordplay as well, but I'm no fencer, so I'm just guessing here.

[e] From the Complete Vader

Ralph McQuarrie (interveiw) posted:

"George described Darth Vader to me as this tall, dark being who fluttered on the wind, with these black robes, wearing a helmet that looked like one of those flaring Japanese samurai helmets, his face wrapped in black cloth"

The Complete Vader posted:

"Not until after (McQuarrie) executed his intial concept sketches (for Vader) did he recognise the similarity between Vader's Helmet and a German combat Helmet, along with the more obvious Japanese influence."

The book's full of interesting little things like that. Shame they devote half the book to the prequel stuff though.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 23, 2011

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Calaveron posted:

It's just black samurai armor with a Vader mask over the helmet :psyduck:

Yeah that's what I thought too. They didn't even try to make the face demonic and the grill's still there.

They ruined some perfectly good kabuto armor. :psyduck:

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

that awful man posted:

JAPAN! :argh:

That stormtrooper looks okay though. Weirdly.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know, I watched some of the DeSpecialized edition of Episode IV just now and it seems like a really badly DNRed Blu-ray which was also an upscale or something. Which is fine honestly, given what Harmy had to work with, but compared to the letterboxed 2006 DVDs I think it has less detail/texture/grain even at a much lower resolution. If you can get around the letterboxing with a zoom feature on your TV (or just re-encode the video to be anamorphic), I think those 2006 DVDs are still the best you can get the OT to look right now.

Maybe I picked the wrong fan-edit and Revisited is a lot better, I guess?

Harmy used the Revisited restoration heavily to make the despecialized editions. The moments where you see the quality drop in the Despecialized edition are where he switches from the DVD gout upscale to the 2006 DVD version (like when he restored the Mos Eisley scene when the big dinosaur walks in front of the screen). I like the despecialized editions because it's the closest we have to a high quality version of the original, unaltered trilogy. I'm sure he can do better with them now that he has the blurays to work with.

In Revisited, Adywan did a better job restoring the picture and making it look more seamless. I actually prefer Revisited (the purist version), even though it is less pure than the Despecialized Edition. I'm not a purist, I don't mind minor changes as long as they are good changes. He definitely spent a lot more time perfecting it, and I think he's a better video editor, restorer than Harmy. Lucas made a lot of bad changes. Adywan's changes were mostly for the better, I think, but he went a lot overboard with the non-purist version.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pesky Splinter posted:

JAPAN! :argh:

That stormtrooper looks okay though. Weirdly.

That doesn't look like Japan, it just looks like a generic cosplay event. Could easily be in LA or something.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If it were in Japan it'd be a pillow with an anime Leia on it.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Nah, Japan's got cool poo poo like chopsticks and trash bins.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYF62fJY4OY&feature=related

Legitimately a pre-production video or just a fan mockup?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mister Roboto posted:

Is this:

That reminds me of how insane Lucas is for having Jedi kick droids. I can kick my loving Roomba and it will keep running.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That reminds me of how insane Lucas is for having Jedi kick droids. I can kick my loving Roomba and it will keep running.

Force Kick

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Mister Roboto posted:

Is this:
It was off the iPad app that previewed the extras.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

WebDog posted:

It was off the iPad app that previewed the extras.

So it's real? Huh, no wonder there were so many actor interviews that said dancing and kicking in front of a greenscreen felt silly.

It looks silly.

Saharan Fiend
Apr 19, 2009

When barkless
hounds ruled
the world...
The Old Republic release date is apparently set for December 20, 2011, per the "Old Republic Community" subscriber email I just got.

The real question now: Is anyone here going to play it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Saharan Fiend posted:

The Old Republic release date is apparently set for December 20, 2011, per the "Old Republic Community" subscriber email I just got.

It's probably a derail better saved for The Old Republic thread, but I wasn't very impressed with the time I spent with the beta. Supposedly the new beta that's starting up again soon will change a lot, but I'm not sold.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Saharan Fiend posted:

Yes. Star Fleet Dental must take to the stars.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

So it's real? Huh, no wonder there were so many actor interviews that said dancing and kicking in front of a greenscreen felt silly.

It looks silly.

You ain't kiddin'. I'm suddenly more forgiving of the terrible acting in the prequels.

So I was a huge fan of Tales from Jabbas Palace and I understand I'm not alone here. Is Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina as good?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Douche Bag posted:

You ain't kiddin'. I'm suddenly more forgiving of the terrible acting in the prequels.

So I was a huge fan of Tales from Jabbas Palace and I understand I'm not alone here. Is Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina as good?

It is. Get all tthe Tales of books, their great.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Is this:

HOLY poo poo. I can't believe how much worse it could have been. Just imagine if they had spent the money adding in that raid on the pre-Death-Star-hey-remember spaceship sequence. It's like a group of kids out back playing star wars. Holy poo poo.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I can't imagine how hard it must be to act out a convincing battle scene when the things you're fighting don't even exist, even with a competent director telling you what to do.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I can't imagine how hard it must be to act out a convincing battle scene when the things you're fighting don't even exist, even with a competent director telling you what to do.

James Cameron managed it. But then again the Avatar sets weren't all blue screen like the Star Wars ones were.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

I remember that they did the same thing to film the big final fight for the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and if you look closely there's a dude that they forgot to CG an enemy in for. He's fighting and getting hit by the air.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Let us all dance up this corridor. I don't think they could have made that work in post, I hope that's the reason it got cut.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Avatar also had full body and facial performance capture allowing actors to interact with each other and get a far more natural performance than the dreaded "stare uncertainly into the distance" you got with Star Wars when the stand in ball or actor has to be removed for the actual take.

Plus the systems are sophisticated enough to allow you to preview a rough impression live on set so you can direct the effects as opposed to giving broad commands and hope that "Duck as the alien swipes at you" matches up well in post.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That plus James Cameron is a much better director than George Lucas.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's probably a derail better saved for The Old Republic thread, but I wasn't very impressed with the time I spent with the beta. Supposedly the new beta that's starting up again soon will change a lot, but I'm not sold.

I pre-ordered it before I realized that you know, there was a monthly fee, but I"ll likely give it a chance. I guess I should go check in on its thread in Games.

So I watched the OT last night, all 3 in a row from the Blu-Ray set. Honestly, it wasn't terrible, I just ignored the scenes in my head that Jorge had really hosed up. Video transfer was pretty good (ESB and ROTJ looked amazing), audio was not bad considering how old it is. The blinking Ewok eyes were pretty weird though; even if I hadn't heard about them ahead of time, I probably would have noticed instantly.

I'm just confused; a lot of fighter and ship engines flickered in color every now and then, the lightsabers seemed inconsistent, and I noticed some chroma inconsistencies between frames...but he invested time adding blinking eyes to Ewoks.

Also, what is the best way for me to watch the 1977/1980/1983 releases? I'm a young one, so my first experience was with the 1997 Special Edition VHS tapes. For ESB, I thought the CGI additions were not terribly jarring; Cloud City looked great. From what I understand, in the original releases, a lot of the windows you see now used to be plain white walls.

I guess I just want to see the originals, scratch film grain, 2ch soundtrack and all to really appreciate how impressive these films were when they launched. gently caress computers, real special effects and copious amounts of optical compositing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

movax posted:

I guess I just want to see the originals, scratch film grain, 2ch soundtrack and all to really appreciate how impressive these films were when they launched. gently caress computers, real special effects and copious amounts of optical compositing.

This is really your only option.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gently caress why are they still $100 :psypop: And why did I not buy them earlier!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

movax posted:

I pre-ordered it before I realized that you know, there was a monthly fee, but I"ll likely give it a chance. I guess I should go check in on its thread in Games.

So I watched the OT last night, all 3 in a row from the Blu-Ray set. Honestly, it wasn't terrible, I just ignored the scenes in my head that Jorge had really hosed up. Video transfer was pretty good (ESB and ROTJ looked amazing), audio was not bad considering how old it is. The blinking Ewok eyes were pretty weird though; even if I hadn't heard about them ahead of time, I probably would have noticed instantly.

I'm just confused; a lot of fighter and ship engines flickered in color every now and then, the lightsabers seemed inconsistent, and I noticed some chroma inconsistencies between frames...but he invested time adding blinking eyes to Ewoks.

Also, what is the best way for me to watch the 1977/1980/1983 releases? I'm a young one, so my first experience was with the 1997 Special Edition VHS tapes. For ESB, I thought the CGI additions were not terribly jarring; Cloud City looked great. From what I understand, in the original releases, a lot of the windows you see now used to be plain white walls.

Lucas re-released the the DVD trilogy in 2006 with the originals as a bonus feature on disc 2. Unfortunately, it's non-anamorphic so you'll get black bars around the whole picture on a widescreen tv with a lower resolution. It's also getting really hard to find these DVDs at a reasonable price. Alternatively, you can find Harmy's Despecialized edition online, which is more or less a 720p upscale of the 2004 DVDs recut to mirror the original theatrical release.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 25, 2011

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Has the Star Wars established the difference between red lasers and green lasers? Red is a bad guy lightsaber color, but a good guy spaceship color.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
There's probably some EU explanation for it, like each side using different kinds of gas (gas being used to power lasers for whatever reason).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

There's probably some EU explanation for it, like each side using different kinds of gas (gas being used to power lasers for whatever reason).

That kind of makes sense from a real-world explanation, since gas lasers exist in reality. There are even powerful types called chemical lasers, which are powered by chemical reactions between two gas types in the laser chamber. I imagine in Star Wars the lasers might be like that, but with a continuous recharge from a reservoir or something to explain why they need to refuel their lasers.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
It's because if they were straight lasers this thread would be nothing but people sperging about how lasers don't work that way.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Chairman Capone posted:

That kind of makes sense from a real-world explanation, since gas lasers exist in reality. There are even powerful types called chemical lasers, which are powered by chemical reactions between two gas types in the laser chamber. I imagine in Star Wars the lasers might be like that, but with a continuous recharge from a reservoir or something to explain why they need to refuel their lasers.

EU says blasters are powered with Tibanna gas and possibly other gasses.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Has the Star Wars established the difference between red lasers and green lasers? Red is a bad guy lightsaber color, but a good guy spaceship color.

Tracers are used in warfare to distinguish one forces weapons fire from anothers. This is just an expansion on that idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracer_ammo

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I think "lasers" in star wars are really more like a plasma or high-energy particle weapon than an actual laser weapon.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

In my mind, and a lot of the EU:

Red = laser cannons (starfighter, anti-starfighter as found on Lancer-class frigates), portable blasters, anti-personnel blasters, "small" energy weapons basically
Green = Turbolasers, big-boy lasers
Blue = ion cannon

Proton torps have blue comas/coronas, concussions missiles red, if I remember TIE Fighter correctly too :spergin:

Part of me was hoping that Jorge had corrected the ion cannon firing from Hoth to have blue bolts, but no such luck.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

movax posted:

In my mind, and a lot of the EU:

Red = laser cannons (starfighter, anti-starfighter as found on Lancer-class frigates), portable blasters, anti-personnel blasters, "small" energy weapons basically
Green = Turbolasers, big-boy lasers
Blue = ion cannon

Proton torps have blue comas/coronas, concussions missiles red, if I remember TIE Fighter correctly too :spergin:

Part of me was hoping that Jorge had corrected the ion cannon firing from Hoth to have blue bolts, but no such luck.

I was looking for the same things in ANH with the attack on the Tantive IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I don't remember where I heard this, but there's real-world explanation for the X-wing color. They were originally going to be blue, but they couldn't get it to work with the blue-screen so they changed it to red.