Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Riding to work this morning, a 4WD pulled out from a side street almost on top of me and I had to e-brake from 80 down to zero in a space about the length of a school bus. Accidentally locked the back and the rear fishtailed a bit, but I kept it upright and managed to not run into the back of the idiot, who appeared to have not noticed what'd happened. The bike's rear end now feels stupidly vague in corners, so I think I might have popped the rear shock (again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Shouting Melon posted:

Riding to work this morning, a 4WD pulled out from a side street almost on top of me and I had to e-brake from 80 down to zero in a space about the length of a school bus. Accidentally locked the back and the rear fishtailed a bit, but I kept it upright and managed to not run into the back of the idiot, who appeared to have not noticed what'd happened. The bike's rear end now feels stupidly vague in corners, so I think I might have popped the rear shock (again).

Jesus man, glad you came out ok. A similar situation happened to my friend's little brother Monday. He was doing the speed limit (50) on a major street when a family in an SUV made a left turn directly in front of him. The police recorded 8 feet of skid marks to the spot where he died on impact.

I don't ride personally, but respect those who do. Just remember to stay safe out there guys.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
poo poo! Sorry to hear that, man. There's been talk in Australia the past few years of having 4WDs as a separate class of vehicle to cars so that people would need to get another license to drive them, and I think that's a pretty good idea.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Am I thinking of the same 4WD, vehicles that simply power all four wheels? Why would you ever need a separate license for that? They drive pretty much the same on the street.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AncientTV posted:

Am I thinking of the same 4WD, vehicles that simply power all four wheels? Why would you ever need a separate license for that? They drive pretty much the same on the street.

He means SUVs in American terms.

Most of the '4WDs' out there are only 2wd in reality, notable exceptions include the 91-97 LandCruiser w/ elocker option (miss mine :() and the Jeep Rubicon.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 18, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Oh, in that case, most definitely. I'm getting tired of the schoolbus-sized YUKON XL EDITION X BLACK SERIES OMEGA driven by suburbanites that shouldn't be licensed to ride bicycles, let alone drive buildings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AncientTV posted:

Oh, in that case, most definitely. I'm getting tired of the schoolbus-sized YUKON XL EDITION X BLACK SERIES OMEGA driven by suburbanites that shouldn't be licensed to ride bicycles, let alone drive buildings.
Hey man, how else are they going to ferry their two bags of groceries home and be ~*safe*~? (Seriously, I had a guy tell me he wouldn't let his wife drive anything else since SUVs are safer than cars. I pointed out rollover statistics, and he basically said LA LA LA.)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I was coming off the highway onto a 4-lane road, and decided to cut around the person in front of me on the left, to get out of the right-turn lane. I should have anticipated that he might do so as well, and he also immediately put on his blinker and began to merge left. I hit the brakes to back off, but I should have given myself a second to straighten out first, so I began to fishtail and the rear locked up. I was probably still going 40-50 and eased up on the brakes and straightened out perfectly.

Two lessons learned:
1) I should have anticipated that he would do that, and slowed down before passing him instead of immediately overtaking.
2) Straighten the gently caress out before braking!!

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

AncientTV posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND's mom drives a Yukon Denali, it's so embarassing. It makes my dad's Explorer look like a Mini Cooper and cost as much as a Mercedes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always thought the odd Exploder, Suburban or F250 I saw in Australia were being, but gently caress me dead was I unprepared for poo poo even bigger than those when I went to the States.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I took some new roads recently that I've been avoiding for good reasons: poor surface, medium redneck traffic, no chevrons/warnings, bad runoffs for wrecks, etc.

The first sign, if you pardon the pun, was coming over a blind hill at the posted speed limit and there was one of those tiny, stubby stop signs right at the bottom of a steep incline. There was no way in hell anything other than a F1 car with warm brakes was going to pull off that bullshit. One of those horrid prefab housing suburbs was next to it, so I'm guessing the DOT should have a look at the loving thing.

The almost wreck was another blind hill, which I was admittedly going a little too quickly for, but nothing insane and the bottom had a right angled unbanked turn. With no warning again. I emergency braked with small squeaks coming off the tires coming up to it and stuck the corner out with a little throttle, but I was right at the edge of available pavement coming out. I'd have dropped off into the "ditch", more of a 3' drop, if anything was different.

Lesson: Quit going over blind hills so fast you dumbass. Also, stay off that road.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Any one remember that vid where some squid in nothing but shorts, no shirt and a helmet looking at a harley rider? They revs his throttle but slips on the clutch and the bike lurches fwd and he almost fell off?

I was stopped behind a SUV that pulls up a little. Normally when I pull up, I have only my left foot down. This time I had both feet down. So when I open the throttle a little, I notice I'm not stopping(cause I use my rear in a slow speed situations) but I have my clutch pulled in but I hear high revs. Somewhere my MSF training goes off and tells me to pull the front brake. I get a hard brake and look like a douche. I was kinda astounded I made that complacent mistake and I wasnt sure if I was distracted or just a bad habit.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I always thought the odd Exploder, Suburban or F250 I saw in Australia were being, but gently caress me dead was I unprepared for poo poo even bigger than those when I went to the States.

I've been :rant: 'ing since gas prices rolled back down. Why can't we motorcyclists revel in $5 gas prices? Everybody has become so accustomed and :smug: in their SUV's with $3.75 - $4 prices.

Today after I got my back tire replaced on my 636, I was going back home with the gf driving her Honda Fit behind me in terrible traffic.

I would zoom across traffic lanes easily, as complacently as I could with my new tire. And she got persistently blocked from following me directly for long stretches of time by SUVs who were obnoxious in not letting her switch lanes by clustering together and refusing to acknowledge her blinker-using presence.

I kept on having to pull over as she shouldered through the groaning, speeding deluge of giant machines in my general direction. I found myself giving the "Are you loving stupid? Slow down" gestures to a few SUVs myself as I waited for her to catch up.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 5, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I feel like a real dummy, too.

I'm trying to get my carbs sorted out. I think I have it, but I need to do the "roll on throttle" and "roll off throttle" tests, preferably in 3rd or higher gear. This means going illegally fast on a bandit 1200.

So I find a stretch of paved road with dirt road at both ends, nice and straight, about 5-6 miles long, using google maps. I should be able to see if anyone is on the road before I get there, and if anyone is coming up. Great.

So I ride the dirt section, then get to the paved section. I wait a few minutes for the road to clear, then start giving it gas. I sit at about 4k in 3rd for 10 seconds or so, then WOT. It bogs and has no pull all the way to about 8-9k where it starts to open up like a demon. So now I'm at about 10k in 3rd, or roughly 125mph, when I see a tiny dip, and a cattle guard. I did not notice this on the map, and hadn't seen it.

I start to rise up to absorb some of the impact, and the bike launches. The only thing touching the bike at this point is my hands. I hear the revs start to go up, and know I'm in the air, and my hand starts reaching for the front brake. Every ounce of my being makes my hand not grab the brake, and I touch back down. Rear tire, feet to pegs, front tire, rear end to seat (pretty hard).

Slowly off the gas, pull over, inspect for damage, breathe.

Everything's OK, but I feel like a huge dummy for trusting google maps and not just riding the thing once.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Oh man, I wish you had that on video. That's awesome. And pants making GBS threads.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
So I don't think I'm a dummy for this one, I'll with hold my comments about the other guy.

This morning on the way into work I'm in the left hand lane going around the bend of a two lane road... as I make it around a 90* bend there's a box truck in the left lane and we're about to have a head on meeting. Training takes over and I swerve around the guy and he trundles along.

Anyone notice anything entertaining about the left lane in this picture? The red line is my direction of travel and the blue line is the box truck:

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 15, 2011

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Skreemer posted:

So I don't think I'm a dummy for this one, I'll with hold my comments about the other guy.

This morning on the way into work I'm in the left hand lane going around the bend of a two lane road... as I make it around a 90* bend there's a box truck in the left lane and we're about to have a head on meeting. Training takes over and I swerve around the guy and he trundles along.

Anyone notice anything entertaining about the left lane in this picture? The red line is my direction of travel and the blue line is the box truck:

Well it would appear by the broken white lines that it is a one way street and Mr. boxy truck was heading the wrong direction. Yes?

If so, that's a pretty lovely thing to come around that blind corner to. Lucky you didn't meet him right at the corner.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That happened to me in a car once. I was test driving a customers car on the freeway when I take my usual exit. As I go around the bend there's a loving Prius coming right at me. I did a nice 65mph right then left flick/four wheel slide around the car (Acura TL Type S so I had super JDM Vtecs on my side). While I was stopped at the light I realized how lovely that could have been. I also called CHP.
You are supposed to look out for everything all of time but people going to wrong way aren't usually in mix which makes for a hell of a surprise.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bugdrvr posted:

You are supposed to look out for everything all of time but people going to wrong way aren't usually in mix which makes for a hell of a surprise.

Absolutely. I was headed to school one morning on a divided access road where somebody had gotten on in the wrong direction, and the thought process went "Why are there headlights in front of OH HOLY gently caress!"

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

That definitely sucks, but if you had been in the right lane instead of the left, you would have had a better view coming around the bend. Obviously not something you'd expect, but never let your guard down.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Safety Dance posted:

Absolutely. I was headed to school one morning on a divided access road where somebody had gotten on in the wrong direction, and the thought process went "Why are there headlights in front of OH HOLY gently caress!"

I was headed to work one afternoon coming up to the part where the road BECOMES divided. I went the right way, and some old dude in a white Sidekick goes the other way. I pull up across the divide and honk and wave and give the "WTF" gesture and he never ever looks over. We get to a stoplight and I have to turn right; the light is red, and I just go. Old guy never seemed to notice there weren't any light poles or anything on his side and just cruised on through.

I bed he thinks it's a miracle someone turns on his bathroom light for him as he pisses in the fridge every night.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Had a close call on the way to work yesterday on the DRZ. Was approaching a stoplight about 45 mph and saw it turn yellow. At the speed I was going, there was plenty of time for me to make it so I rolled a bit harder onto the throttle.

Unfortunately, the car in front of me saw it differently and decided to stop for the yellow. Of course, since I had just sped up at the time she was getting ready to stomp down on the the brakes, I was moving faster than her and was well within the 2 second follow distance (like a dummy).

Hit the brakes as hard as I dared and angled the bike slightly off to the side just in case. Wound up stopping with my front tire next to the car's rear tire and my leg touching the side of the car's rear quarter panel.

The driver of the car in front of me never noticed any of this BTW.

In retrospect, I probably had a lot more grip in the front tire and could have pulled harder on the brake, but in the moment I just remember being concerned with not locking it up. Currently it has SM wheels and tires with E/S brake disks so I'm not sure I could lock it up in a straight line even if I wanted to. Maybe I'm a little front-brake shy due to riding offroad?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

With decent rubber on a supermoto, you're not very likely to to break the front loose before the rear lifts, especially if you apply the brakes properly instead of just jamming them full-force.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Why listen to a bunch of jerks on the internet? Ride to a parking lot and find out for yourself!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I rode my SM with the S/E model rotors on it, and yeah, there's no way you're breaking front end traction with those things unless you have the grip of superman and the handspeed of the flash.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
Reminds me of what happened on my SV650 a few weeks ago. I was approaching an intersection going around 35 mph where the cross street had a stop sign and I didn't. Right when I got there, the car waiting at the stop sign decided to pull out into the intersection.

I'm pretty sure I locked the front tire and I'm actually surprised I didn't go down because I remember feeling the bike start to wiggle and tilt to the side. I think I didn't because I let go of the brake briefly, the bike settled, and I stopped safely.

Is focusing on being straight up when you panic brake the most you can really do in that situation?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Know the limits of your front brake and what it feels like when it breaks loose. Releasing and re-applying your front brake when it does lose traction will probably save your life one day.

For the rear if it locks and you are not in a straight line do not release it, just hold it as you've only lost 10% of braking power anyways. If your bike is tracking straight you can release and reapply.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Bondematt posted:

Know the limits of your front brake and what it feels like when it breaks loose. Releasing and re-applying your front brake when it does lose traction will probably save your life one day.

I tried this with my DR650 last fall and went down at 80 KPH.
Protip: Dont try this with DOT knobbies.

As a fake edit, I've also tried this with my old GSX-R and I definitely felt it before it locked, then felt it lock and was able to release it smoothly. Did that several times to figure out what it felt like.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
It was really wet the other day, and I went out to pick something up from eBay. Plenty of unfamiliar roads. Would have been a nice country lane ride except for the rain. Didn't think it was that wet, and I stupidly put my trousers *inside* my boots. I hate wet boots.

Got home safe, hung my wet gear over a door and started making myself some breakfast, and some coffee.

I run everywhere regardless of whether there's any hurry. We have laminate flooring in our flat. There is a gigantic puddle under my soaking wet gear.

So I was running from one part of the flat to the other, with the puddle on a corner. I was hopping on the outside leg around the corner, when I lost traction (drat cold feet!).

I slammed into the ground quite hard on my left elbow. Spent a good couple of minutes lying there doing that self-assessment thing (what was that loud cracking sound? Did I really just do that? Have I seriously hurt myself? God I'm an idiot.)

I'm fine. Just stupid.

I didn't crash, but I'm still a dummy.

dick traceroute fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 20, 2011

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Glad to hear you're well and don't have any broken bones man. That's one hell of a slip.

I think people don't understand just how much of a difference warmed up feet make, especially on slippery surfaces like wet tile. I think your accident definitely could have been avoided but I don't think you're stupid.

I just think people need proper education on how to run over wet tile. It's not an instant death trap where you need to lay yourself down and slide instead of falling hard on your joints or head. With a little understanding on how wet tile can effect your feet and the proper precautions like jogging in place for a few minutes to warm up your feet and staying steady on your pace through puddles you'll be just fine. Your rear end and feet might slip a little, but you're not going to go down hard like you did.

I'm glad your all right, if you scraped yourself in the fall you might want to clean out the wound, don't just stick a million band-aids all over yourself like a retard because you can't afford Neosporin. I think people look really gaudy like that, and it's easy to tell who knows how to run over puddles and who keeps making mistakes because they're covered in band-aids.

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 20, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I hope you didn't scratch up any of your Japanese clothing you were wearing at the time? That poo poo is expensive to replace. That's why I always walk around my flat naked.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Probably Hates You posted:

Glad to hear you're well and don't have any broken bones man. That's one hell of a slip.

I think people don't understand just how much of a difference warmed up feet make, especially on slippery surfaces like wet tile. I think your accident definitely could have been avoided but I don't think you're stupid.

I just think people need proper education on how to run over wet tile. It's not an instant death trap where you need to lay yourself down and slide instead of falling hard on your joints or head. With a little understanding on how wet tile can effect your feet and the proper precautions like jogging in place for a few minutes to warm up your feet and staying steady on your pace through puddles you'll be just fine. Your rear end and feet might slip a little, but you're not going to go down hard like you did.

I'm glad your all right, if you scraped yourself in the fall you might want to clean out the wound, don't just stick a million band-aids all over yourself like a retard because you can't afford Neosporin. I think people look really gaudy like that, and it's easy to tell who knows how to run over puddles and who keeps making mistakes because they're covered in band-aids.

:golfclap:

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

SlightlyMadman posted:

I hope you didn't scratch up any of your Japanese clothing you were wearing at the time? That poo poo is expensive to replace. That's why I always walk around my flat naked.

I was wearing my limited edition cap at the time. I hear if you drop them you need to replace them immediately. I have a new one ordered, I'll stay put until it arrives.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

polystyrus posted:

I was wearing my limited edition cap at the time. I hear if you drop them you need to replace them immediately. I have a new one ordered, I'll stay put until it arrives.

You might want to call up the manufacturer before you order a new cap. Sometimes they'll X-Ray them and if the stitching is OK you don't need to buy another.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

polystyrus posted:

ATGATT, squid. Not Most of the time. Literally All the time. Riding, sleeping, bathing, lovemaking etc. Riding gear is never to be removed.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

polystyrus posted:

It was really wet the other day, and I went out to pick something up from eBay. Plenty of unfamiliar roads. Would have been a nice country lane ride except for the rain. Didn't think it was that wet, and I stupidly put my trousers *inside* my boots. I hate wet boots.

Got home safe, hung my wet gear over a door and started making myself some breakfast, and some coffee.

I run everywhere regardless of whether there's any hurry. We have laminate flooring in our flat. There is a gigantic puddle under my soaking wet gear.

So I was running from one part of the flat to the other, with the puddle on a corner. I was hopping on the outside leg around the corner, when I lost traction (drat cold feet!).

I slammed into the ground quite hard on my left elbow. Spent a good couple of minutes lying there doing that self-assessment thing (what was that loud cracking sound? Did I really just do that? Have I seriously hurt myself? God I'm an idiot.)

I'm fine. Just stupid.

You don't need to explain your suspicious rug burn to us, we can't see you over the internet!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was rolling through Sonoma's highway 12 on my way to get some late night dinner... I noticed a white range rover had pulled out of an intersection behind me and was following me kinda closely, keep in mind the speed limit is about 25mph and theres always TONS of highway patrol/local police/Sheriffs just looking for any reason to stop someone on a Saturday night. Anyways I didn't want to speed up to much, I was already doing just over 30mph... I gave a good 4-5 second right turn signal to indicate I was about to turn into a parking lot, so I brake a little, and turn in, in the middle of the turn I hear the sound of tires screeching and the honk of the horn of the range rover behind me as I guess he brakes to avoid hitting me from behind... loving idiot.

Anyways it would have sucked if he'd hit me :( I thought I did it everything alright and made my intentions very clear, I have a feeling the driver had a few drinks. It's pretty common around here for people to go wine tasting and don't realize they're over the limit to drive after swallowing too many samples.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Always always assume the worst on the road and get yourself out of a potentially dangerous situation asap. Proper road etiquette isn't incentive at all for a sketchy driver to keep their end of the traffic rules deal, and lord knows how many accidents happens because of inattentive drivers (hint: all of them).

Because it is so drat easy for human brains to blink us out of existence, you get the short end of the stick as a motorcyclist.

edit: yesterday some dude was too engrossed in his tomtom he did not understand that he was riding on both lanes going 20 in a 50 zone, swerving and speeding up. I took four left turns, gently caress that poo poo.

karms fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 25, 2011

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
One of my worst fears while riding:

http://www.pnj.com/article/20110928/NEWS01/110928025/Woman-dies-after-being-thrown-from-motorcycle?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Long story short, she failed to negotiate a turn on a highway on-ramp, hit the wall and went over. She survived the 30 ft fall onto I-10 but later died in surgery. A shame. Be safe, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I can't imagine how that could happen, unless a car pushed you off. Unless you simply weren't attempting to turn at all, and hit the sidewall basically head-on, you'd be leaned inside the ramp, not outside, and it basically shouldn't be possible to be thrown over the guard rail. I guess it could happen if you went in too hot, panicked and tried to brake, then went into a skid and high-sided over it, but getting past that SR should basically be the first thing that anyone does as a new rider (at least anyone who's smart enough to be reading these forums).

• Locked thread