Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba posted:

I can't tell if it's the 3 months I took off

Yes.

sba posted:

or that fact that I'm getting old.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I think there's horrible facebook pics of me too, I hope there's one with a puck behind me you can make fun of

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
What helped me when learning backside pushes was to support all of my weight on my push leg when I first started. Having your down leg almost completely free to move around makes it really easy to feel the process and from there I gradually got faster at the load & gather phase of a push.

Hope that makes sense.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

gigabitnokie posted:

What helped me when learning backside pushes was to support all of my weight on my push leg when I first started. Having your down leg almost completely free to move around makes it really easy to feel the process and from there I gradually got faster at the load & gather phase of a push.

Hope that makes sense.

So if I am going left to right. I want to load up most of my weight on my left leg and have my right leg pretty much just loose? Then explode off my left leg and just go with the flow I am assuming?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Surfing Turtle posted:

So if I am going left to right. I want to load up most of my weight on my left leg and have my right leg pretty much just loose? Then explode off my left leg and just go with the flow I am assuming?

Yep. From there you can worry about the details (of which there are many)

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I suck lately. On a definite downswing. Lots of bad bounces and bad reads on plays. That and a couple of the teams I joined up in the upper levels are not very good. I have a feeling its going to be a long season for me on all my teams except for the one I run (we're nasty...and even then I almost blew our last game, giving up 3 straight to blow a 3-1 lead before we came back in the third and won).

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

Gatorade says not to, but ask any trainer anywhere and that's what you'll hear.

I did this dilution just to see and I liked it much better. Much easier to drink. It's way too sweet otherwise.

It's time for my short offseason as the team I was subbing for was eliminated in the playoffs. We were tied 1-1 and then the other team turned it on, bringing their best shooters on to the ice at defense. For the next five minutes I kept facing slapshots from the point and their deflections. They'd win the faceoff, send it to the point, who was unpressured, and he'd unload a slapshot. I'd freeze it, rinse, repeat. When we would win a faceoff, my defenseman just threw it back up to the point in a lazy attempt to ice the puck (icing the puck was his strategy all game long). Eventually one of those slapshots snuck past me to make it 2-1 with about 5:00 remaining. We went down and tied it up at two with 2:00 remaining in the game. On the following faceoff their best skater got on a breakaway from the faceoff after catching my defense flat footed and paying no attention and put one top shelf over my blocker. :( We took a time out and decided that if we win the faceoff and gain control, I'm to head to the bench. I made sure that the guys at the door were ready for me as I keep going to the bench on a delayed penalty, but no one opens the door. So at 1:45 we were able to gain control and I sprinted for the bench and saw no one looking, no one ready to hop over the boards for an extra attacker. I got to the boards, yelling and let myself in while they decided who would go on the ice for the extra attacker. It was by far the most :saddowns: game I've ever played, finishing 30/33.

Now it's time to start the Rapid Response Goalie Training as soon as my local sporting goods store gets some foam rollers in. Have any of you guys tried the RRGT stuff? I really wanted a goalie specific workout but those seem to be few and far between.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
I'm having a "playing loving awesome" streak right now. I'm so used to having the "playing like poo poo" streaks so this is all new to me.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had a game on Friday after playing 3 games of flag football for work and I played decent, but the biggest thing I got out of it was that I awkwardly fell while trying to trap a puck near my left post and my knee felt weird immediately.

Thought it was pretty bad but I was able to finish the final period and a half without much issue. Got home and it felt awful so I took some advil and didn't do much all weekend.

Now while I'm sitting in my desk and I move my right leg with pressure on the inside of my right kneecap I can feel some pain and things just feel tight. Did I do something bad that I need to get looked at or am I just sore from tweaking things? Normal movement seems to be fine, it's just when I say try to drop my knee down like I was going into a butterfly

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had a really good shinny in hindsight. I let in 11 or so goals, but they were all amazing goals and I made some amazing stops and worked my rear end off all night. I made everyone work for their goals.

It's a little weird for people to tell you how amazing you played after giving up 11, but it kind of puts into perspective that people do realize you're working hard even if the number is high.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My second game with the brand new team was rough. Gave up 4 in the first period and we never really got back into it, though we tied them in the second and third periods. It seems like we need to figure out a way to get out of the first 10 minutes without too much damage and we tend to play a bit better after that. It's going to take a while for everyone to get a feel for positioning and know where everyone else is. There were at least some moments where things clicked, but it's funny how much easier my games with my other team seem in comparison. I still made some bad reads/plays, so I definitely need to be more aggressive with this team, but I also need to make a point about clearing out traffic and rebounds before our next game. It's a learning experience and I know it will take us time to catch up with the rest of the teams.

On an odd note, Dave Coulier's kid is on my team. He's a pretty good player and I think he'll be an effective scorer once our team starts getting in sync.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 22, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I learned anything from Full House is that you just need a pep talk from Uncle Joey about how you should believe in yourself.

And now you have the means to make it happen.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I would never do another squat or lunge again in my life if not for ice hockey.

First game in two weeks vs. UC-San Diego wooo

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

If I learned anything from Full House is that you just need a pep talk from Uncle Joey about how you should believe in yourself.

And now you have the means to make it happen.

Cut. It. Out. That would be pretty hilarious if that happens.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My past 2 games have lined up quite well, I had one game I knew I'd be flaky during but my team was lights out and we dominated. My last game was against a very strong team and I stopped 5 breakaways and had about 40 saves letting in 2 goals. This was all at the UofM's Mariucci arena which is awesome to play on. I'll bring the camera to the next game, should be a cool view.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
So I've been thinking about hanging up the pads and stick to skating up, but I'm not 100%. If I do, what would be the best way to sell my gear? Local? Goaliestore.com forum? Here? If anyone here is interested let me know.

Battram custom pads and gloves, hackva mask, vaughn v3 pants, rbk 6.0 chest, etc etc

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Internet Victory posted:

So I've been thinking about hanging up the pads and stick to skating up, but I'm not 100%. If I do, what would be the best way to sell my gear? Local? Goaliestore.com forum? Here? If anyone here is interested let me know.

Battram custom pads and gloves, hackva mask, vaughn v3 pants, rbk 6.0 chest, etc etc

I go through this every offseason, I suggest that if this is your first year seriously considering it keep the gear. It will be handy when you have a no show goalie, or when you want a break from skating out. I think my first season of "not playing goalie" lasted 2 games before I was back in the crease. As for selling local is the safest bet for getting actual cash, I tend to donate my gear as I cycle through though to inner city hockey/floor hockey.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Internet Victory posted:

You'll be back. They always come back.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Joey Walnuts posted:

You'll be back. They always come back.

Well I've been thinking about it for a while. I don't get to play anymore because there's always 3-4 goalies and on the off chance I do play I just don't have fun like I used to. Also, if I get this job I just applied for I won't get to play open hockey anymore so I'd be sticking with my rec league which has no shortage of goalies.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had our first playoff game today against the team we lost to in the final 3.5 seconds of our game last week and goddamn was it a game that made me happy to be a goalie.

For the most part the rest of my team played their asses off and didn't give the other team much of a chance to shoot on me. They managed to get a early garbage goal off a deflection from a rebound that there wasn't much I could do about, after that I stoned every damned thing they threw at me. Including about 5 or 6 breakaways and one or two doorstep shots that I'm not quite sure how I managed to kick my leg out and stop.

It just felt really loving good to beat the team and to so thoroughly dominate them as well. I just hope the rest of the team can keep it up next week in the championship game cause man I'd like to win a fake trophy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Second week into the season and we have a double header.

It's in the 70's outside, so inside its more like 80 something, with high humidity.

First game, I played loving awesome. Only gave up 3 or 4. All of those goals were on the 3rd or 4th rebound. Team still lost because they couldn't score.

Second game, I only played the first period (out of two). I asked one of the other regular goalies to sub for me. There's no loving way I could have played that whole game without dying- and I'm not even sure I'm exaggerating. I still played awesome in the first period.

gently caress that poo poo.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
Being a Marc-André-esque smartass does not befit me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rZ0ex6z1TI

Hazed_Red fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 27, 2011

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Hazed_Red posted:

Being a Marc-André-esque smartass does not befit me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rZ0ex6z1TI

This is awesome. :v:

In other news, we won tonight 10-3. Lots of crisp passes. Everyone playing position. Did I mention the other team didn't have a goalie? Lame. Boring and lame.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

This is awesome. :v:

In other news, we won tonight 10-3. Lots of crisp passes. Everyone playing position. Did I mention the other team didn't have a goalie? Lame. Boring and lame.

Nate called me about the other goalie spot, but I had just committed to playing at Arcadia for Coulier's kid's team about 5 minutes earlier and I didn't want to back out on something I had just agreed to. The team I faced was scary good, they were the kind of guys who didn't take big shots, but instead, they kept on passing until they got you or your defense out of position and knock in the easy goal. I still made some good saves on them, but that's tough to play against. The other goalie and I switched after the first period, since my team wasn't really doing anything and having the other team keep the puck in your zone for 2-3 minutes is pretty drat brutal.

Things seemed so easy on the other side, Coulier's kid was the only threat they had and he had resigned to cherry picking, so I faced him on a good 9 breakaways. I stopped 5 of them and I should have stopped a 6th, but I had my stick in a weak position and it hit my stick and went in the net. I probably should have stayed and on the other side and played against the better team, but I was just trying to be agreeable. I was happy to see that the other goalie struggled against that team too, he was better than I was, but it was nice to see that it wasn't just me having trouble with them. They were cool guys though.

Edit: I'll be at Churchill this Sunday.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 27, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I finally sold my Zero Gs for $800 (pads, trapper, blocker). It was less than I wanted to sell them for, but considering how hard it is to find a buyer for 32" +1 pads, I can't complain too much. They're good pads, so I'm sure the guy will be happy with them. I looked into the buyer and he seems good and I'm following PayPal's guidelines of shipping to a confirmed address, using tracking, and requiring a signature on delivery, so I should qualify for their insurance if something goes wrong.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

I need to find a new video editing suite since my cs5.5 ....expired. Screen cap from last night though.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

I need to find a new video editing suite since my cs5.5 ....expired. Screen cap from last night though.

Have you tried using Windows Live Movie Maker? I'm sure it's rudimentary compared to Premier, but I use it for editing my videos and it works fine.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Joey Walnuts posted:

I'm having a "playing loving awesome" streak right now. I'm so used to having the "playing like poo poo" streaks so this is all new to me.

Just the opposite for me! I've had like 2 good games out of my last 10. Lastnight was statistically a good game, but I really didn't get challenged much. We won 3-1, I made 20 on 21, and I lost the shutout with 30 seconds left. Left point man took a shot, I had it all squared up, and a guy in the high slot/faceoff circle got a stick on it and deflected it perfectly over me, off the crossbar and in.

It felt good just to finally stop some stuff clean though, so hopefully this leads me back to playing well. I got 3 in a row tonight!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Just the opposite for me! I've had like 2 good games out of my last 10. Lastnight was statistically a good game, but I really didn't get challenged much. We won 3-1, I made 20 on 21, and I lost the shutout with 30 seconds left. Left point man took a shot, I had it all squared up, and a guy in the high slot/faceoff circle got a stick on it and deflected it perfectly over me, off the crossbar and in.

It felt good just to finally stop some stuff clean though, so hopefully this leads me back to playing well. I got 3 in a row tonight!

21 shots is still a fair amount, but I guess the quality of shots is sometimes more important than the quantity. I do agree with you that when you're playing really well that the meaningless goal at the end of the game has a way of ruining an otherwise good night for you. A couple weeks ago, I played a team that had scored 15 goals in their first game of the season, I held them to 2, but they didn't get that second one until there was less than 90 seconds left. It shouldn't matter at that point, but I was upset with myself for a couple minutes after that.

I've got another game with my new team tonight. I sent an email out about defensive positioning and I'm going to discuss it before the game. I think if we can just limit the number of high quality scoring chances and I make a few less dumb plays, then I can keep us in the games. I'm also hoping that playing the higher level game on Monday will help, it made it clear to me that a lot of what separates C and B league goalies really isn't talent as much as it is working harder to get into position for those second and third shot. Talent certainly helps, but working for those saves seemed to be the biggest difference I noticed.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 28, 2011

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

21 shots is still a fair amount, but I guess the quality of shots is sometimes more important than the quantity. I do agree with you that when you're playing really well that the meaningless goal at the end of the game has a way of ruining an otherwise good night for you. A couple weeks ago, I played a team that had scored 15 goals in their first game of the season, I held them to 2, but they didn't get that second one until there was less than 90 seconds left. It shouldn't matter at that point, but I was upset with myself for a couple minutes after that.

Agreed. Most of the shots I saw were from the outside without much/any traffic in front. There weren't really a lot of tough saves or anything, so while 21 is a fair amount, they had maybe 3 legit scoring chances.

Agreed on the level difference on goalies. Most of the goalies playing above the lower levels can make the first save most of the time, its controlling rebounds, and positioning yourself to not be diving all over the place that makes the difference.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Joey Walnuts posted:

Annnnnd the streak comes to a screeching halt. That was awful.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
It was a tough game tonight. We lost 7-4 and I can honestly say that I played well. The other team had a ton of high quality scoring chances and most of the goals they had were either garbage goals or a result of my D leaving the backside wide open. According to the stats, I stopped 32 out of 39 shots, but the shot total was probably a little higher than that. It wasn't credited in the stats, but I had an assist on our 4th goal, which was pretty cool. I'm seeing some encouraging signs with my new team, but I still feel like we're a few games away from being competitive.

We finally agreed on a team name tonight and from now on, we will be known as the Roughriders, which is fitting since our games have been pretty physical so far. I'm thinking about using a crazed Teddy Roosevelt as our logo.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
14-4 shelling last night. I don't even know what happened. The game was 4-3 after the 1st. I felt like I was half a second behind on everything all night.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Annnnnd the streak comes to a screeching halt. That was awful.

Are you going to be at open hockey today? I was actually able to get a spot today, not sure how many are on the list.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Hey I still stink! I gave up 19 goals in 3 games the other night. Managed to get a win in one of them though!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Hey I still stink! I gave up 19 goals in 3 games the other night. Managed to get a win in one of them though!

Psht I gave up 14 in one wtf =(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Surfing Turtle posted:

14-4 shelling last night. I don't even know what happened. The game was 4-3 after the 1st. I felt like I was half a second behind on everything all night.

Eh, it happens. The only problem is that there's no goalie on the sidelines waiting to be put in after you have a bad day, so you get to just keep living the nightmare :(

I had a game like that a few weeks ago, and posted about it here. I felt like I was seriously just broken. The easiest stuff was going in as I was getting more and more frustrated. Easy shot from the point into the glove? Missed it by an inch. Easy fivehole save? No sir!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Eh, it happens. The only problem is that there's no goalie on the sidelines waiting to be put in after you have a bad day, so you get to just keep living the nightmare :(

I had a game like that a few weeks ago, and posted about it here. I felt like I was seriously just broken. The easiest stuff was going in as I was getting more and more frustrated. Easy shot from the point into the glove? Missed it by an inch. Easy fivehole save? No sir!

I literally may live the nightmare again next week. We play them again on Tuesday noooooooooooooo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're anything like me then you start to get real frustrated real fast. The only thing I can recommend is that you take a second to compose yourself. Don't let it get to you, as hypocritical as it is of me to say that. Whenever I've managed to stop a slide like that it's because I said to myself "okay, that really sucked but no sense in getting upset, just play the angles and do your best". It doesn't always work, but going back to basics helps ground you in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

If you're anything like me then you start to get real frustrated real fast. The only thing I can recommend is that you take a second to compose yourself. Don't let it get to you, as hypocritical as it is of me to say that. Whenever I've managed to stop a slide like that it's because I said to myself "okay, that really sucked but no sense in getting upset, just play the angles and do your best". It doesn't always work, but going back to basics helps ground you in the game.

This is basically what I try to do, and usually my slides don't last too long, but I've just had a month long run of bad luck and poor play. The one win I got the other night was in the third game, after giving up 17 in the first two, We managed a 5-2 win. But if I had 3 bad games in a row, I was seriously considering having my backup (who's normally a dman) play (he backs me up on all 3 teams). I'm still thinking about doing it, but I'm not as committed to it win the "bounce back" game in the last one.

• Locked thread