Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Zool posted:

It has power to weight ratio about 9% higher than an SV-650. A little much for a first bike, but still about 1/2 the power to weight of a 600SS.
Are you trying to say a GS1000 is a good choice for a first bike? Oy. SV's aren't great first bikes, but they're survivable. That doesn't make them good either!

Pvt. Public posted:

No, you clearly are mistaken. That is obviously a picture of his riding tractor.
.... How did I know... And we didn't get pictures of me riding the turd either! For everyone else: Allow me to paint a picture. I am 5'5". The owner of the KLR I rode is 6' something, and a large man. I sat on the KLR, and I had inches of clearance under each foot. To come to stops, I had to slide off one side of the bike, and hang down.

Zubumafoo posted:

Though, I did take it on the highway for a little bit. I must say, naked bikes on the highway sure are...interesting.

Oh also, anyone have any resources on getting new/better foam for the seat? I figure if I'm gonna replace the cover I could maybe replace the foam with something that doesn't kill my rear end after being on it for 4 hours.

First, the stock bars on UJM's are designed for "in town" comfort. They're high, and pulled back. They're also decent for parking lot manuvering. However, in the US, we have lots of open road. So leaning into the wind is a better plan. And if you enjoy corners, getting forward helps front end traction.

I switch our the bars on a bike, usually within a week of owning it. Don't fear it! For most bikes, superbike bars suit me well. Though I think the euro bend is going to find it's way onto my GS650. It's tank is a little longer than the 550 which stretches me out a little.

There's also a big bit of "you'll get used to it" for highway riding. 140mph on a naked bike is gonna be interesting no matter what you do. ;-)

As for the seat, the big problem is more likely you, than the seat. Stand up every few minutes. Sit to the left, or the right. Twist a little. Firmer foam helps, as it keeps your weight concentrated on your sit bones. But if you don't move at all, you're gonna get sore.

Now, to add some content:

This lovely thing was brought to my house this weekend. kdc67 lucked out and found a very nice 1979 GS425. We picked it up saturday morning.

It's in better shape than my 650. She's already put 30 miles on the 425.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Snowdens Secret posted:

You will get used to it quickly, but if you feel you're struggling just stick to the right lane and go the speed limit, there's no shame.

Things don't get REALLY interesting until you break a spoke at 90mph though.

Still, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nerobro posted:

.... How did I know... And we didn't get pictures of me riding the turd either! For everyone else: Allow me to paint a picture. I am 5'5". The owner of the KLR I rode is 6' something, and a large man. I sat on the KLR, and I had inches of clearance under each foot. To come to stops, I had to slide off one side of the bike, and hang down.

I was trundling along behind him on a VX800 and this was the funniest poo poo I have ever seen while riding (well, right behind said owner of the KLR squeeze-motioning to a VERY large woman's rear end as she crossed the street in front of us). I was giggling like an idiot every time we came to a stop. :mmmsmug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

Now, to add some content:

This lovely thing was brought to my house this weekend. kdc67 lucked out and found a very nice 1979 GS425. We picked it up saturday morning.

It's in better shape than my 650. She's already put 30 miles on the 425.
Love 'em!

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Pvt. Public posted:

I was trundling along behind him on a VX800 and this was the funniest poo poo I have ever seen while riding (well, right behind said owner of the KLR squeeze-motioning to a VERY large woman's rear end as she crossed the street in front of us). I was giggling like an idiot every time we came to a stop. :mmmsmug:

You giggle like an idiot on a normal basis anyway.

Chris Knight posted:

Love 'em!

Gracias. :) The kickstart works like a dream. I imagined something a bit more resistant. Bonus yay for having electric start, as well. Comes in handy when you may or may not stall the bike on a hill.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Love 'em!
Thank you too. I'm quite proud of my 650.

kdc67 posted:

Comes in handy when you may or may not stall the bike on a hill.
*HONK*

Didn't see it. Will never claim you stalled it. Go back to your LT2.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 15, 2011

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Nerobro posted:

Thank you too. I'm quite proud of my 650.
*HONK*

Didn't see it. Will never claim you stalled it. Go back to your LT2.

The LT2 was a hand start anyway... no need to kick. (you still have that video?)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Skreemer posted:

The LT2 was a hand start anyway... no need to kick. (you still have that video?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSsM2EeXyEA

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Picked up a new toy today for 2500$ Feels good to have a Honda again. First red bike too.

1999 Honda VFR, it has just under 42k miles on it, purrs like a kitten, sounds awesome with the micron exhaust on there

Reminds me of my old F2 seating position wise, it's pretty roomy, the fairing/windscreen do a good job of taking care of turbulence, the instruments are very 90s esque but they display is pretty sweet. The V4 howl at redline is awesome.

Dunlops in good shape, can't wait to replace them with some Pilot Road 3s though. Chain is new, still has the factory grease on there.

It's amazingly clean, previous owner said he tipped it over at a stoplight but it's hardly noticeable, Honda apparently does great paint jobs and puts it on there thick.

Original tool kit, owners manual, power commander, all in there which is sweet, also the previous owner has the original exhaust, seat, and other bits he'll give me.

Anyone in the Bay Area looking for a beginner bike? :3

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Don't sell that thing, just a few more and you'll have a bike for every day of the week.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Progressive insurance wont do more than 4 bikes on one policy, the website says I can open another policy if I want to insure more, kind of a pain in the butt to do, i'll probably stick with 4 for now.

I kind of want an Aprilia and maybe Z3n's KTM, so that'd make for a Touring bike (BMW), UJM (GS500), 600cc (zx6r) 1000cc(gsx-r), V-4 (VFR), Vtwin(Aprilia), Supermoto (KTM).

Anyways took the VFR for the work commute, it's a fantastic streetbike, took me a while to get used to the wider gear ratios, and's smooth, and loud when it needs to be and quiet when it needs to be.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
At the risk of getting negativity, here goes...

2009 Hyosung United Motors V2S 650R

I bought her fresh out of the crate with 000000.0 miles on the odometer, and haven't had a problem yet *knocks on wood*. Cost me $7,000 and actually I couldn't be happier. She has a nice pickup and decent braking (contrary to most reviews saying the braking sucked).

I feel like being that I bought it brand new, and I'll be taking care of it and not running it into the ground, there shouldn't be a lot of trouble with her. Also, I've seen a few of these around here where I live. Talked to a couple of the owners and have yet to hear anything bad about them from actual owners.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Well, keep us posted on how it goes. I think you're the first Hyosung (UM) owner on the forums. Congrats on the new bike :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

EZipperelli posted:

Friend of mine has two of their dirt bikes, absolutely loves them and hasn't had any issues in the 2-3 years he's had them.

Enjoy the bike

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think that's a good looking bike. I'm pretty optimistic you're not going to have a lot of trouble with it, but I would like to know your thoughts on spare parts availability and the dealer network.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

I think that's a good looking bike. I'm pretty optimistic you're not going to have a lot of trouble with it, but I would like to know your thoughts on spare parts availability and the dealer network.

Actually, browsing online, I see enough places to grab some spare parts if needed, and if anything happens to the engine, its interchangeable with (obviously) Hyosung parts, and, strangely enough, a lot of SV650 parts are compatible because of the engines being drat near twins of one another.

Aside from that the dealership I got it from extended the warranty to 2 years, 24,000 miles. They get their parts from a company in California that bought an entire warehouse of spare parts, soooo, I'm hoping for the best.

Also, the ride is ridiculously comfortable. I rode her for a few hours yesterday and had none of the problems I had with my old GXR. No sore wrist or back or anything else. Also it sits at a perfect height for me (I'm 6'2)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Looks better than the N650R or the SV650 in my opinion, especially if you put a seat cowl on there. Have fun!

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I actually really like that bike a lot. Especially the seating position by the looks of it. It seems quite a bit more aggressive then a Ninja or SV650 and would probably ease new riders into an SS a bit easier.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

EZipperelli posted:

At the risk of getting negativity, here goes...

Seat cowl, tail tidy and that'd be a pretty nice looking machine. I like the ktm-style headlight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Niven posted:

Seat cowl, tail tidy and that'd be a pretty nice looking machine. I like the ktm-style headlight.

Would the seat cowl be split down the middle and bolted together like the tail fairing?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Phy posted:

Would the seat cowl be split down the middle and bolted together like the tail fairing?

Not sure if this was a subtle jab, but it actually makes a whole lot of sense for it to be designed this way. Getting rash on one side doesn't mean the whole thing has to be replaced.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

hayden. posted:

Not sure if this was a subtle jab, but it actually makes a whole lot of sense for it to be designed this way. Getting rash on one side doesn't mean the whole thing has to be replaced.

Actually that was the exact idea behind the build. One of the few things Hyosung did correctly was the body, and having enough brain cells in the collective design teams' heads to have 3 panels on each side, so in the event of a layerdown, you don't have to replace the whole drat side for just a small piece of rash.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Oh cool, parking reserved just for me :buddy:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Well, I picked this up about 2-3 weeks ago with 14k miles. This is a picture off the CL ad as I haven't been able to convince my girlfriend to take any pictures of it. She's grumpy that I'm spending more time with the bike than her.

I've gotten colossal amounts of poo poo for buying a pink and purple bike. I prefer "sunset colors" myself.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
That thing is rad as heck, ride it with pride.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Quite A Tool posted:

Well, I picked this up about 2-3 weeks ago with 14k miles. This is a picture off the CL ad as I haven't been able to convince my girlfriend to take any pictures of it. She's grumpy that I'm spending more time with the bike than her.

I've gotten colossal amounts of poo poo for buying a pink and purple bike. I prefer "sunset colors" myself.

Very nice! :golfclap:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

AncientTV posted:

That thing is rad as heck, ride it with pride.

Yeah, ride it with GAY PRIDE. :gay:

Naw, it's cool in an 80's kind of way.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Get some fuzzy leg warmers to match it and you'll be golden.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

That thing is 80's as gently caress. Maybe the best paint job and wheel color combo I've ever seen. I hope you're singing the Miami Vice theme to yourself every time you ride. I mean, it would be pretty hard to sing, it's all synth I guess but still.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Quite A Tool posted:

:krad:
it's perfect. get a helmet to match and gently caress the haters.

as for your GF. it happens. I went through the same thing with mine.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Quite A Tool posted:

That thing rules, my buddy bought a teal GS500e a few years back and just went with it. He got an 80s as gently caress Teknic 2-piece suit and just rocked it that way for a while and people loved it. Once he decided he needed a change (and people had backed into it half a dozen times) he rattlecanned it flat black and went all Road Warrior on it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That paint job owns and anyone who tells you otherwise has no taste

I really wish modern bikes came in snazzy graphics packages like that instead of just 'black' and 'silver' and the occasional 'red'. A bike is a crazy man's machine and it should look the part.

E: Make sure you can see your rear turns through that blackout paint, though

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I know CA isn't big on Harleys, and quite frankly neither am I...except in this case. It followed me home yesterday and I think I'm gonna keep it.

2012 Night Rod Special in Vivid Black.

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 24, 2011

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

CombatMedic posted:

Oh my god man, it's like, from the future. Whoa

Looks nice though, I'm not a Harley guy but I could definitely see myself on a VRod at some point in the future.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If V-Rods had mid controls I'd be very interested in them. The C-Clamp position doesn't interest me, though.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

Sexy :)

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Endless Mike posted:

If V-Rods had mid controls I'd be very interested in them. The C-Clamp position doesn't interest me, though.

The VRSCD Night Rod 06-08 had mid-controls with highway pegs. Note this is different from the VRSCDX Night Rod Special pictured above.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

CombatMedic posted:

I know CA isn't big on Harleys, and quite frankly neither am I...except in this case. It followed me home yesterday and I think I'm gonna keep it.

Night Rods are badass and I am with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

infraboy posted:

Dunlops in good shape, can't wait to replace them with some Pilot Road 3s though. Chain is new, still has the factory grease on there.

You probably have already, but I'd check that front tire pressure. I had those same Dunlops on my Buell, and they started having ridges on the outside of that center line of tread. Basically, I was running them at way lower PSI than I should have, so they were cupping/flattening out more than they should have, and wearing funny. The resulting wear was high spots on the tread where you wouldn't think it'd be, indicated in red.

Only registered members can see post attachments!