Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

origami posted:

Hey, Tiger Balm guy again - despite the balm alleviating some of the soreness I'm noticing some dull pain in both arms whenever I'm rolling. It almost feels like I have shin splints in my arms underneath my muscles.

It's not a sharp or serious pain but rather just a dull ache that makes my arms feel fatigued. Is this to be expected for new people who are rolling pretty frequently? I lifted heavy weights before taking up bjj so I was a bit surprised by this.

Yes. Even if you lifted regularly you are using different muscles (and using the ones you lifted with differently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
So, is there any chance of my taking BJJ classes in NYC for around $100/month as opposed to $200? If not, is there some other martial art that would fit the bill? I'm both poor and lumpy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm both poor and lumpy.

BJJ will definitely solve that lumpiness probl--

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

mewse posted:

BJJ will definitely solve that lumpiness probl--

Haha I meant around the midsection. I don't have any illusions about fixing my face via martial arts...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

I'd say stick to the amateur classes and you'd be OK.

It really does make sense for boxing gyms to make a "lite" class because generally you make a lot more money that way. .

One thing I'd say they should do to make things more real for these aspiring amateur boxers is to do smokers with other gyms instead of having them fight people they know. At least that way there is a real element of the unknown. Of course that would mean having good working relationships with other upstanding gyms, which can be tricky.

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Hey guys I asked yesterday but didn't see a reply...I'm looking for a place to get cheap-ish sparring gear (or at least cheaper then the pro-shop where I train) and was wondering if anyone knows of any good online vendors. This afternoon I'm going to go check out places like Dick's Sporting Goods, and some other large places around here. Those are only slightly better priced then my pro-shop, though.

I've always gotten my shinguards from here:
http://www.combatsports.com/
I think I'm on my third set over several years, though, and I've since upgraded to different gloves and headgear.

If you're looking to get a cheap one-stop shop set of gear, that's the right place to use. I've always advised people starting sparring to get lovely gear the first time and upgrade based on how they see their stuff degrades.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

showbiz_liz posted:

So, is there any chance of my taking BJJ classes in NYC for around $100/month as opposed to $200? If not, is there some other martial art that would fit the bill? I'm both poor and lumpy.

For NYC I think it comes down to several factors...

1. How often?
2. Where in NYC? (Manhattan? Brooklyn?)

I'm sure other folks will point this out but training in Manhatan is expensive.
As for other places to check out, Sambo (I think there's one goon who trains at NYCS so maybe he could give out pricing info) and Judo come to mind.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Senor P. posted:

For NYC I think it comes down to several factors...

1. How often?
2. Where in NYC? (Manhattan? Brooklyn?)

I'm sure other folks will point this out but training in Manhatan is expensive.
As for other places to check out, Sambo (I think there's one goon who trains at NYCS so maybe he could give out pricing info) and Judo come to mind.

I live in Astoria, Queens.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

showbiz_liz posted:

I live in Astoria, Queens.

I just did a brief google search with maps, unfortunately no prices seem to be listed.

OMNI seems to offer Judo and BJJ.
http://www.omnimartialartsny.com/

I managed to find a review for a place called Comined Martial Arts fighting, but their website gives more of an impression they are a promoting agency...
http://www.cmafighting.com/

Showbiz_liz your best bet is probably to start calling these places up and asking them for pricing plans. (If you have not done BJJ before, stop by and check them out first if time allows.)

Are there any other goons in the area who have some information?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

showbiz_liz posted:

Liz, I'll talk to some friends of mine who have schools in Brooklyn and Queens to see if they have pricing that would work for you.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
You guys are the best, thanks!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

It really does make sense for boxing gyms to make a "lite" class because generally you make a lot more money that way. I've said it before but even though we all hate "McDojo" practices, they exist because it is how you make money.

Yep. The club I usually go to would not exists without the lite classes. That's what draws the regular people in, no matter if someone likes it or not. It's all good to talk about "real" training, tough men and women willing to receive a black eye to learn, but (un?)fortunately 95% of the people who enjoy exercise do not want to pay money to get beat up or choked unconscious.

And I for one still like to enjoy a pretty central gym location, within reach of public transport from just about anywhere in the city and good training space, even though the rent makes quite a dent to a wallet (not mine!) so I welcome the lite classes, and the fitness boxers and the aerobic fanatics, with open arms.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I want to grow up and be Toshihiko Koga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6i3WaVNpGM

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

It's all good to talk about "real" training, tough men and women willing to receive a black eye to learn, but (un?)fortunately 95% of the people who enjoy exercise do not want to pay money to get beat up or choked unconscious.

I'm fine with people doing martial arts classes just for exercise. As long as they take care to be good students, good for them. When some of the better guys get in the ring and spar, I can see some people in the intro classes watching and being a little put off by it. And of course others enjoy watching.

In other news, on Friday I went in to try to improve my 1-2 range and stepping rhythm, and one of the coaches sparred with a friend running a gym out of town. That dude is 6'1" and massive, like no fat and all muscle. I'd pegged him at 220+, but he checked weight on our scale and was only 208. So now I know what a legit 205lber looks like :(.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

I've got that fighting films DVD about him and he talks about his elbow injury and how that changed his game and he demonstrates his variations on techniques that he uses/used because of his injury. Its really cool. I watched it before my first lesson and it was like some action movie but now that I've done Judo for a while I actually understand what he's on about. He's an interesting and very successful character thats for sure. I'm more into Yamashita at the moment though, mainly because he's tall and plays like I want to play some day. I feel like a 14 yr old girl talking about her favourite bands.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Thoguh posted:

I wanna grow up to be like Pat Barry

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Grow?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Pooned posted:

Grow?
Fat.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Pooned posted:

Grow?

Balls.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

kimbo305 posted:

In other news, on Friday I went in to try to improve my 1-2 range and stepping rhythm, and one of the coaches sparred with a friend running a gym out of town. That dude is 6'1" and massive, like no fat and all muscle. I'd pegged him at 220+, but he checked weight on our scale and was only 208. So now I know what a legit 205lber looks like :(.

A whole lot of people in krav maga refuse to step into the muay thai classes at the gym-- the ones that do are at least 6' and 185 pounds. Yesterday I kickboxed a dude who was 6'3 and 230.

I'm 5'9 and 160. I'm getting my face beat in. A bit off-topic but I wanted to bitch.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 25, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CaptainScraps posted:

A whole lot of people in krav maga refuse to step into the muay thai classes at the gym-- the ones that do are at least 6' and 185 pounds. Yesterday I kickboxed a dude who was 6'3 and 230.

I'm 5'9 and 160. I'm getting my face beat in. A bit off-topic but I wanted to bitch.

Its a terrible cycle because small guys stay out because they don't want to get smashed, but then no small guys will do it because everyone is too big.

mewse
May 2, 2006

small guys are fast and scary

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm 6'1 and round here I'm the small guy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mewse posted:

small guys are fast and scary

Fast and scary seems to have a steep learning curve.

On the plus side, whenever I fight someone near my size, it's like "Haha, I have reach! This is awesome!"

mewse
May 2, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

On the plus side, whenever I fight someone near my size, it's like "Haha, I have reach! This is awesome!"

yeah, guys that abuse their size and reach against you aren't going to be helped when they have to fight someone their own weight

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

mewse posted:

yeah, guys that abuse their size and reach against you aren't going to be helped when they have to fight someone their own weight

So what's a tall guy to do?

I'm starting either Judo or BJJ soon, and I've been wondering if I'm going to develop lovely technique because of my size.

I'm 6'7"/210.

mewse
May 2, 2006

don't worry about it, its not like you can change it.

just trust your coaches to tell you when they see you using lovely technique

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Prathm posted:

I'm starting either Judo or BJJ soon, and I've been wondering if I'm going to develop lovely technique because of my size.

I'm 6'7"/210.

Like any abnormal body type you will find that you are naturally inclined to some techniques and will be incredibly frustrated learning others.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Prathm posted:

I'm 6'7"/210.

If you start judo be ready to cry when you are trying to do a Morote Seoi to a 5'7 guy uhuh.

But seriously just do you best and try to pair up with the tallest guys as much as possible. Like Office Sheep said, you'll probably have big advantages for certain techniques (I can see leg sweeps and triangle chokes being so easy to do for you) while others will be incredibly hard for you (Shoulder throws and such)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Prathm posted:

I'm 6'7"/210.

Look up "Anton Geesink" and aspire to become him.

More seriously, you'll probably find that a lot of hip throws are tough for you, and you have more success with foot sweeps and throws like Haria Goshi.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
If you go with Judo you'll have sweet backwards throws (and a dangerous guard with either martial art), but don't neglect your forward throws because one day you'll come up against someone your height and the chances are they won't be expecting you to be proficient in the forward throws, but you'll find out your strengths pretty quickly anyway. Don't be afraid to do both by the way if money isn't a limiting factor.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Look up "Anton Geesink" and aspire to become him.

More seriously, you'll probably find that a lot of hip throws are tough for you, and you have more success with foot sweeps and throws like Haria Goshi.

Jesus. What the hell is that spinning throw he does at 0:06?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCGypJY6bU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Probably an uchi mata. Hard to tell from that video.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
yeah, looks like a failed uchi mata followed by a spinning recovery (by tamura).

Tall judo players need to work harder to get their hips low on shorter people. Majority of my randori are against taller guys (6'+) and I notice they favour a high collar grip vs shorter people.

edit: VVVV could be a failed o guruma too VVVV

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 26, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Prathm posted:

Jesus. What the hell is that spinning throw he does at 0:06?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCGypJY6bU

I think it is either a Haria Goshi or an O Garuma. Tough to tell since the other guy is airborne when the clip starts. O Garuma is what he is stepping in for earlier in the clip though. So that's my guess.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
So I had a really powerful epiphany last night about how to combine my 'judo mind' and 'bjj mind' into a simple/efficient strategy that looks very theoretically sound. Testing starts tonight, so assuming that goes as expected I'll write up something coherent afterward and leave it here for critique- I'm really excited about this!

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
First off - thanks for the online retailer advice for gear :)

I'll be starting doing some fighting here soon. I've yet to meet the coach/trainer guy but I've seen some of his fights on youtube. The guy is on the local SWAT team (captain if I'm not mistaken!) and had a few questions about what I'm seeing.

Here are the two clips of his fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVuqshj1bPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhXVVHv06kM

WARNING: TURN OFF YOUR AUDIO OR TURN IT REAL LOW. These are videos from people in the crowd with lots of screaming and such.

Basically, this isn't boxing (they're kicking too!) and it's not MMA style as they're not wearing grappling gloves, they're wearing boxing gloves...so...what search terms could I use on youtube to find some more things like this?

Also, how would I find out more about local fights like these if I wanted to go see some in person? What kind of training regiment would be suggested to begin preparing? My plan right now is to spend the next two months training and start throwing myself into the ring late December/early January.

Advice?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Winkle-Daddy posted:

First off - thanks for the online retailer advice for gear :)

I'll be starting doing some fighting here soon. I've yet to meet the coach/trainer guy but I've seen some of his fights on youtube. The guy is on the local SWAT team (captain if I'm not mistaken!) and had a few questions about what I'm seeing.

Here are the two clips of his fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVuqshj1bPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhXVVHv06kM

WARNING: TURN OFF YOUR AUDIO OR TURN IT REAL LOW. These are videos from people in the crowd with lots of screaming and such.

Basically, this isn't boxing (they're kicking too!) and it's not MMA style as they're not wearing grappling gloves, they're wearing boxing gloves...so...what search terms could I use on youtube to find some more things like this?

Also, how would I find out more about local fights like these if I wanted to go see some in person? What kind of training regiment would be suggested to begin preparing? My plan right now is to spend the next two months training and start throwing myself into the ring late December/early January.

Advice?

Wow that looked terrible.

The word you're looking for is "kickboxing", which is usually done in a ring. K1 was the premier kickboxing org for that last decade or so and will be your best bet for finding more videos of matches on youtube.

Don't plan to fight after only 3 months of training.

I'm also curious how someone can be a full-time police officer as well as a professional trainer.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 26, 2011

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wow that looked terrible.

The word you're looking for is "kickboxing", which is usually done in a ring. K1 was the premier kickboxing org for that last decade or so and will be your best bet for finding more videos of matches on youtube.

Don't plan to fight after only 3 months of training.

I'm also curious how someone can be a full-time police officer as well as a professional trainer.

Holy poo poo, I honestly had no idea people still call it "kick boxing" or even did that in any organized fashion. But if that's what they're doing, then I'm up for looking more into it. I guess my clue should have been "Well, they're using boxing gloves and kicking. :downs:

I mean "trainer" in the sense he runs the training sessions at night a couple of times a week for one of the locations. I actually won't be doing anything with him, but the guys I work with don't have any videos up that I've seen, I stumbled onto these by accident. If you want to get more into this you kind of need to find a trainer. It's a Krav Maga facility first and foremost. Everything else is just platform to better yourself. I am using "trainer" more liberally that I should be, especially given a lot of the people's background on this thread.

Back to fighting after three months of training, I guess my train of thought was that I've been doing Krav for almost a year now, working to better myself and get into much better shape, so if I focus on fighting for a couple of months the worst thing that will happen is I'll just lose and learn a bunch.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Holy poo poo, I honestly had no idea people still call it "kick boxing" or even did that in any organized fashion. But if that's what they're doing, then I'm up for looking more into it. I guess my clue should have been "Well, they're using boxing gloves and kicking. :downs:

you're planning on sparring with "bas rutten fight club" and you didn't know what kickboxing is? and you want to do a fight in 3 months???? good grief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
That's probably not the best idea, no.
Welp. Good luck!

• Locked thread