Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That breaks pacifist though, doesn't it? (Achievement wise and morally)
Yup; hence the "tempted"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You can also throw them at enemies so you get a bullet-spewing high speed projectile :allears:

Haha, holy poo poo! I didn't try in the area I discovered this as half the enemies had Heavy Rifles and I liked the cover but I'll see if I can try that with the next turret I find.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

New thing I experienced:
Silent walking (aka: the most useless of non-passive augs) + tugging a fridge/soda machine around is hilarious.
Once they get suspicious drop down the fridge and just take cover behind it changing sides until they go back to normal; after that pick it up again and walk on.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just saw the DLC playthrough video posted earlier in the thread and holy poo poo, if they say 5 hours I can probably put in about 7-10 hours in one go-through. Let's just hope that they don't decide to be major assholes and price the DLC ridiculously high or just flat out delay it.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Quick request, can someone get me a high-res straight on shot of a certain piece of in-game graffiti?

It looks like a little girl falling into a giant gaping mouth iirc, I think it's in both the Detroit and Hong Kong streets.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Are you talking about this? :)

edit: Because I think this one is cool too:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Tecman posted:

Are you talking about this? :)

edit: Because I think this one is cool too:

You truly are the best OP ever! :glomp:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm fairly sure if you asked Tecman to find images of Jensen fellating Sarif with a blue augmentation, he'd merely shrug and ask what resolution you'd want it in. :stare:

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Zedd posted:

New thing I experienced:
Silent walking (aka: the most useless of non-passive augs) + tugging a fridge/soda machine around is hilarious.
Once they get suspicious drop down the fridge and just take cover behind it changing sides until they go back to normal; after that pick it up again and walk on.

Silent walking works pretty well IMO. So long as you stay out f sight, you are hidden. Take downs become easier too.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm seriously amazed that sperglords are still complaining about regenerating health in Deus Ex:HR.

Deus Ex 1 had regenerating health, and it was far far more powerful than DX:HR. The only functional difference now is it's automated and requires no energy, and it's not something you can pop in combat for near invincibility.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
drat, i think I hosed up, on my second play through. was a dick to the guy at the police station this time so he wouldnt open the morgue for me, sneaking around is provin to be quite the bitch yet, plus i got careless with my quicksaves and now i think they recognize me as a hostile so i wont be able to waltz around town lol. Time to start over I guess. that pistol silencer is sweet tho, Im just gonna be a cold blooded serial killer rear end in a top hat this play through :thumbsup:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

drat, i think I hosed up, on my second play through. was a dick to the guy at the police station this time so he wouldnt open the morgue for me, sneaking around is provin to be quite the bitch yet, plus i got careless with my quicksaves and now i think they recognize me as a hostile so i wont be able to waltz around town lol. Time to start over I guess. that pistol silencer is sweet tho, Im just gonna be a cold blooded serial killer rear end in a top hat this play through :thumbsup:

You can murder everyone in the police station, before you exit just make sure there are no alarms going off. For whatever reason they never seem to think you were the mass police murderer.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

I think they go passive again its just like 2 solid minutes of waiting time.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So - this is my first time playing a Dues Ex game - just finished the first retrieval mission, and am wondering what the best way to spend my Praxis points so that I don't regret it later.

Are there some augs that are essential? Hacking?

I did the first mission with stealth, but am not set to continue the rest of the game that way.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Kragger99 posted:

So - this is my first time playing a Dues Ex game - just finished the first retrieval mission, and am wondering what the best way to spend my Praxis points so that I don't regret it later.

I did the first mission with stealth, but am not set to continue the rest of the game that way.

You definitely want hacking, I usually spend my first 1 or 2 points on it, so I can hack all the stuff in Sarif, etc. I also get the upgraded jump height aug so I can get to secret places. If you're planning on being the Terminator you might want to think about starting to open up your inventory as well. I was very sneaky and I think I only used 1 or 2 of the inventory upgrades by the end of the game though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kragger99 posted:

No matter how you Aug, make sure you hang onto a 10MM pistol and mod the everloving poo poo out of it. It's a real workhorse weapon that lets you play quietly from range. It has one of the best mods in the game - Armor Piercing rounds - that's specific to that weapon alone. It takes a silencer and a laser sight and scales pretty well for a large portion of the game.

I use a combo of that and the Combat Rifle, also modded with a silencer and laser sight. It's weapon specific mod (seeking flechettes) has some uses too especially if you are the type to fight your way through a situation.

And never forget your stungun at home. It has supreme stopping power - one shot will drop anything but a boss. It's non-lethal as well if that makes a difference. It also shorts out cameras for a few seconds without triggering alarms.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
Just beat the game on my first playthrough on Give Me Deus Ex with Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds and I loved every minute of it. Everything a Deus Ex sequel should be; I don't think I would have changed a thing. Definitely GOTY so far and an amazing game!

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Really loving the TYM building so far, and hengsha in general. Yeeehaw.

As for augs right out of the gate, you can't go wrong with hacking capture lvl 2, hacking stealth, and upgraded arms.

Arms will let you stack boxes to get over fences, and move vending machines to expose vents. Also good for combat, throwing things at dudes is fun, throwing dead dudes at other dudes, etc.

Punching through walls is fun but not really necessary.

Shuka fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 25, 2011

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
OH Jeez doublepost

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Whoever said that non-combat builds are punished against bosses is a loving retard.

To beat every single boss, all you need is 3 fragmentation mines (maybe 4 for the first one).

Throw one out there, lead the boss into it or better yet throw it right at them. The boss gets hurt and stunned. While the boss is stunned, throw another one. Back away. Repeat. You will literally not get hurt at all in the 20 seconds it takes.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Arcaeris posted:

Whoever said that non-combat builds are punished against bosses is a loving retard.

To beat every single boss, all you need is 3 fragmentation mines (maybe 4 for the first one).

Throw one out there, lead the boss into it or better yet throw it right at them. The boss gets hurt and stunned. While the boss is stunned, throw another one. Back away. Repeat. You will literally not get hurt at all in the 20 seconds it takes.

The game gives you queues you're coming up to bosses. Lots of giant chainguns and chaingun ammo? Boss soon, may want to pick it up.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arcaeris posted:

Yea, I'm working on a achievement whore/hard/pacifist/foxiest run and after learning about how mines are overpowered from my first play through has made bosses a breeze. Its pretty easy to perfect the first two boss fights but I suspect the 3rd will be a little tougher (Just finished the 2nd boss fight so I have a couple hours until I get to him).

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Has anyone been able to mod the energy system to recharge more than one bar yet? That whole tree seems like such a waste if you're not carrying around a 7-11 worth of energy bars.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Arcaeris posted:

Explosives are exactly the kind of thing I'd be sure to carry if I was playing a non-lethal/non-combat run!

We have these posts all the time so this is nothing new, but "Who says this playstyle can't beat the boss, you just need x or y or z" is not a good argument when the playstyle doesn't use x or y or z.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Plus I do have to wonder how many people actually carried or did all that poo poo without prior knowledge of the boss encounters. :v:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Explosives are exactly the kind of thing I'd be sure to carry if I was playing a non-lethal/non-combat run!

We have these posts all the time so this is nothing new, but "Who says this playstyle can't beat the boss, you just need x or y or z" is not a good argument when the playstyle doesn't use x or y or z.

EMP and Concussion mines. Plus you should be carrying one weapon that makes noise to draw people out from patrols (unless you just want to stealth run past everyone I guess). If you are doing super stealth then you should be able to stealth and pick up all the items scattered around the boss room and kill the boss that way. There are no less than 3 EMP mines in the lockers in 2nd boss fight room for example and enough weapons/ammo to shoot out all the machines to electrify the floor 4 times.

VVV

If you emp/concussion him and then run somewhere else he'll keep shooting/throwing grenades at where he last saw you, giving you lots of time to loot the entire boss arena of items.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 25, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Shortly before you meet the first boss, you'll find two or three EMP grenades, which you should take because you just sneaked past a gigantic robot and it was a pain in hell and you don't want to do it again. Wait, what's this a boss battle? Man, I'm completely unprepared and-- game over.

Hm, how the hell am I going to take him down? Oh, right, EMP also works on aug'd people and I just conveniently found some grenades. Start battle, throw a grenade and, looking around, there's a bunch of explosive barrels. Oh, it can't be that easy. Throw two explosive barrels on the guy while his augs stop working. Guy starts moving again, but so slowly, I just used my stun gun to finish him. Whoopie-ay.

Go online, see everyone complaining how sneaky players can't deal with the boss and are whining all over the place. Face palm.

I did have to invest on Typhoon for the second boss, but by then I already knew the boss battles weren't going to use any sneaking or hacking or whathaveyou.

vvvv I think you missed the point that the game gives you the means to deal with the first boss even if you are not carrying enough fire power to start a war and that is what I was trying to convey.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 25, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Saoshyant posted:

:smug:

So this is the sixth or eighth time today the argument's run, I think.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Machismo posted:

Silent walking works pretty well IMO. So long as you stay out f sight, you are hidden. Take downs become easier too.

The problem with this is that you'll always need to recharge to two bars to do takedowns, since you'll need some amount of energy for the walking and one whole bar for the actual takedown.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Finally threw enough cardboard boxes at a turret to make it explode. Saving virtual bullets is a good use of my real-world time.

Rawrbomb posted:

You can murder everyone in the police station, before you exit just make sure there are no alarms going off. For whatever reason they never seem to think you were the mass police murderer.
I knocked out everyone there without being seen doing any of it. I can't wait to use my silenced pistol on my foxiest murder run. It's gonna be so much easier.

404notfound posted:

The problem with this is that you'll always need to recharge to two bars to do takedowns, since you'll need some amount of energy for the walking and one whole bar for the actual takedown.
Silenced walking doesn't use much energy. Once you're right next to them, you can recharge the little bit you're missing. A good reason to get the recharge aug upgrades.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

For those who have finished the game, did they ever explain the glitches you were getting that prompted the "upgraded" biochip with a fix? I never actually took the upgrade, and the glitches just went away as soon as I boarded the ship.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fitret posted:

For those who have finished the game, did they ever explain the glitches you were getting that prompted the "upgraded" biochip with a fix? I never actually took the upgrade, and the glitches just went away as soon as I boarded the ship.

They literally flat out explain this to you. It's literally covered in a big cutscene right before you fight the third boss.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fitret posted:

Illuminati plot to get people to upgrade to the new chip, Megan's team was kidnapped so they could work on it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

404notfound posted:

Yeah, I hated that. There were so many instances where I wanted to silent run up to someone and hit them with a takedown but didn't feel like popping an energy bar to do it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hogburto posted:

Silenced walking doesn't use much energy. Once you're right next to them, you can recharge the little bit you're missing. A good reason to get the recharge aug upgrades.
Kinda ruins the moment if you sneak up to them and then awkwardly stand around for a few seconds waiting for the last bits of energy to recharge.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What is your Jensen doing?

"I smolder with generic pacifism. WHERE'S MY WIFE!? PLEASE STOP SHOOTING AT ME WITH THE INTENT TO KILL, I AM TRYING TO ASK YOU SOME QUESTIONS IN A CALM AND MEASURED MANNER! WHY WON'T THIS CASIE MOD WORK?! WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME PLEASE EXPLAIN EVERYTHING OVER THE COURSE OF A CONVERSATION TREE I CAN MANIPULATE WITH MY AUGS!"

Stun gun. EMP grenades are non-lethal. You don't have an excuse.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Kinda ruins the moment if you sneak up to them and then awkwardly stand around for a few seconds waiting for the last bits of energy to recharge.
If you want to end the game with dozens of unused energy bars (wasting away on your apartment floor), you're gonna have to work for it, man.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Boogle posted:

Illuminati plot to get people to upgrade to the new chip, Megan's team was kidnapped so they could work on it.

That I understand, but how? Many of the people even say that the biochips aren't all manufactured by the same companies. Are we to assume that the Illuminati infiltrated every biochip manufacturer and put in some sort of remote-activated glitch?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

the Illuminati have been buying up almost every major augmentation company with TYM as their most important front; Sarif is one of the few big ones that doesn't want to get bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fitret posted:

That I understand, but how? Many of the people even say that the biochips aren't all manufactured by the same companies. Are we to assume that the Illuminati infiltrated every biochip manufacturer and put in some sort of remote-activated glitch?

The Illuminati didn't infiltrate every biochip manufacturer, they ARE every biochip manufacturer. They've been buying out all the competition, and ruining any companies that they can't buy out (the newscasts in TYM are talking about a biotech firm whose CEO was fired after a bunch of company funds magically appeared in his personal accounts, and TYM takes them over). The only person they haven't been able to get yet is Sarif, but as the beginning of the game shows, they're certainly trying.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said.

• Locked thread