Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fru Fru posted:

Gryffindor - 97,945
Ravenclaw - 98,206
Hufflepuff - 98,326
Slytherin - 97,133

My wife is convinced they're curving the results in some way to make the numbers in each house relatively equal. I think she might just be mad she got Gryffindor when she was hoping for Hufflepuff.

It is a little weird how close the numbers are, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
So there's about 400,000 people who got the e-mail for early access, then? And there were about 1 million early activation accounts in total. Well...that sort of makes me feel better about not having gotten an e-mail yet. I'm getting so tired of waiting though. I just want my wand and my house, man! :smith:

It is kind of interesting how more-or-less evenly split the house numbers are. You'd think that people wouldn't be so easily split into either Bravey, Smarty, Schemy or Worky.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dopefish Lives! posted:

So there's about 400,000 people who got the e-mail for early access, then? And there were about 1 million early activation accounts in total. Well...that sort of makes me feel better about not having gotten an e-mail yet. I'm getting so tired of waiting though. I just want my wand and my house, man! :smith:

It is kind of interesting how more-or-less evenly split the house numbers are. You'd think that people wouldn't be so easily split into either Bravey, Smarty, Schemy or Worky.

Shefali Chowdhury, the girl that played Parvati Patil in the movies, tweeted a couple days age that she hasn't gotten her email yet either. If "I was in the movies, goddamnit <:mad:>" isn't enough to get a timely email, I don't think the rest of us have any real chance. :smith:

I really hope they aren't curving the House results, too, if I get Hufflepuff I'm just going to walk away from my computer and never return.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Shefali Chowdhury, the girl that played Parvati Patil in the movies, tweeted a couple days age that she hasn't gotten her email yet either. If "I was in the movies, goddamnit <:mad:>" isn't enough to get a timely email, I don't think the rest of us have any real chance. :smith:

I really hope they aren't curving the House results, too, if I get Hufflepuff I'm just going to walk away from my computer and never return.

I agree. Getting Hufflepuff is the ultimate shame.

This probably means I'm a Slytherin

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dopefish Lives! posted:

I agree. Getting Hufflepuff is the ultimate shame.

This probably means I'm a Slytherin

Go suck on a dead niffler.

Edited because I'm a moron. huffle the puff, yo.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 20, 2011

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I do hope I get into Ravenclaw

Maybe Slytherin wouldn't be so bad.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Has anyone heard any rumors over how much the e-books are going to cost and when the official store opens up?

How much would you be willing to pay for the e-books? I am hoping that none of them are over $10 but it would not surprise me if they were.

P.S. I am still not in. I hate you J.K. Rowling.....I hate you so much. Why must you continuously tease me?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has anyone heard any rumors over how much the e-books are going to cost and when the official store opens up?

How much would you be willing to pay for the e-books? I am hoping that none of them are over $10 but it would not surprise me if they were.

P.S. I am still not in. I hate you J.K. Rowling.....I hate you so much. Why must you continuously tease me?

I doubt they'll be less than $15. They're basically a license to e-print money. There will be people who will buy the first round of books no matter the price.

You might get a discount if you buy all seven maybe?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

I doubt they'll be less than $15. They're basically a license to e-print money. There will be people who will buy the first round of books no matter the price.

You might get a discount if you buy all seven maybe?
The paperbacks are less than 10 bucks at Target; at least the first couple are, I was really only looking at Sorcerer's Stone. I want to say that they wouldn't make the ebook cost more than the physical copy, but another part of me knows that the more...obsessive HP fans will pay whatever it costs, even if it makes no sense to do so.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The paperbacks are less than 10 bucks at Target; at least the first couple are, I was really only looking at Sorcerer's Stone. I want to say that they wouldn't make the ebook cost more than the physical copy, but another part of me knows that the more...obsessive HP fans will pay whatever it costs, even if it makes no sense to do so.

Also which versions are they going to be or does it depend on where you live

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Amazon and Apple frequently price e-books above physical market value so I don't see why Scholastic wouldn't do the same for Harry Potter.

I think I'm just jaded by things in general being at least 20% more than I expect them to cost.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Paragon8 posted:

Amazon and Apple frequently price e-books above physical market value so I don't see why Scholastic wouldn't do the same for Harry Potter.

I think I'm just jaded by things in general being at least 20% more than I expect them to cost.
I'm pretty sure that I read recently that Scholastic don't have the rights to the ebooks, only the regular ones. So it basically all goes to Rowling. I don't think she'd price them like a publisher.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
If you're thinking about buying the paperbacks, you can buy the complete set new on Amazon for $49.97.

That's what I recently did instead of waiting for the ebooks.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Paragon8 posted:

Amazon and Apple don't set ebook prices any more, the publishers do. Notice the "This price was set by the publisher" bit there: http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-ebook/dp/B004J4WKUQ/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Paragon8 posted:

Amazon and Apple frequently price e-books above physical market value

The reason for this is that Amazon and Apple's cut of ebook sales is usually more than the cost to print and distribute a physical book, so the publisher needs to charge more to make the same profit. It's dumb, but there you go.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

yeah, so the ebooks will most likely be more than the physical books which is the point I was trying to make! :D

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just finished a re-read of these books and I'm still impressed with how well each book "ages" along with the characters. I love reading and I quite enjoy re-reading books, but usually not till after a few years so I can "forget" alot of details. But I first read the Harry Potter series last year and I've just finished my third read through of all seven books. I don't know exactly what it is, she's hardly the best writer I've ever read, not by a longshot, and in particular with the earlier books (which are aimed at a far, far younger audience than myself) she includes some ridiculously childish concepts.... but something about her writing just captures my imagination and sweeps me along.

I still can't get over how impressive a character Snape is, knowing everything about him puts every single action he takes in all the books into an entirely new context - but she never went for the easy solution of making him a genuinely "good" guy - he WAS a total rear end in a top hat, he DID agree with Voldemort, he remained obsessed with the Dark Arts, he did loving hate Harry's guts, he was somewhat justified in his contempt for James and Sirius (not Lupin though, gently caress anybody who hates Lupin) but he still did what needed to be done just for the memory of a love that he never had. I remember being irritated when I first heard that Snape killed Dumbledore because I figured it was putting all the nice complexities to the side in favor of,"Nope, dude dressed in black was evil all along," so I was delighted that Rowling didn't fall into that pitfall. Even more than Harry naming one of his sons in honor of Snape, I'm touched by the moment in Deathly Hallows when Harry is thinking about how Dumbledore and Flitwick never found the Room of Requirement and notes that it was the type of place found by the "lost boys" like Voldemort, himself and Snape. Harry identifying with Snape was such a nice touch, I'm glad she included it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That Harry Snape and Voldermort all found a home at Hogwarts and it influenced them in different ways. With Harry he found friends and family, Snape found a unrequited love and bad influences and Voldermort found power.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'm touched by the moment in Deathly Hallows when Harry is thinking about how Dumbledore and Flitwick never found the Room of Requirement and notes that it was the type of place found by the "lost boys" like Voldemort, himself and Snape. Harry identifying with Snape was such a nice touch, I'm glad she included it.

I thought Dumbledore did though? I'm sure he mentioned that he found it while looking for a toilet.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Muppetjedi posted:

I thought Dumbledore did though? I'm sure he mentioned that he found it while looking for a toilet.

I think the quote, in the book, was referring that Dumbledore or Flitwick would never though of looking in the Room of Requirement for the Diadem.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Muppetjedi posted:

Dumbledore found it, but he only found it once and as far as he knew it was just a bathroom. He never found it again, so he didn't know how to get in or why it disappeared.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

J.K. Rowling is a beautiful person. I finally got in.

House: Gryffindor
Wand: Spruce and Unicorn, 14.5 inches, pliant.

I wanted slytherin but I answered honestly so that got me in Gryffindor.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Finally got in and sorted!

Gryffindor house! Glad it wasn't Slytherin.

Wand is Pear and Unicorn, 14.5 inches, quite flexible.

All this extra information about the wands is great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

Dumbledore found it, but he only found it once and as far as he knew it was just a bathroom. He never found it again, so he didn't know how to get in or why it disappeared.

Yeah, he never had a reason to need the room (other than the time he happened to pas it while really needing to take a piss), and in particular he never needed a place to hide anything. He was a model student, Head Boy, Prefect etc, life was perfect for him at Hogwarts.

Outcast Spy
May 7, 2007

How could you be both?
Finally sorted. Expected Hufflepuff, got Slytherin. Hmmm. I'm not disappointed.

I am annoyed that I mis-clicked on an owl when I wanted a cat. No pet takebacks, apparently.

Cute site, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, he never had a reason to need the room (other than the time he happened to pas it while really needing to take a piss), and in particular he never needed a place to hide anything. He was a model student, Head Boy, Prefect etc, life was perfect for him at Hogwarts.

He just thought it was just another room that he did not know about

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
I somehow ended up in Gryffindor! I was strongly expecting Ravenclaw. I wish there was an explanation as to why/how the questions came to that conclusion, but I suppose that'd discount the whole "answer honestly" thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Got in and got Ravenclaw when I was sort of expecting Hufflepuff based on the questions they were asking me.

Got a 10 inch Fir wand with Unicorn core, Hard. I'm not entirely sure why my wand is telling me I'm inflexible, but the site is pretty neat.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Goddammit, I'm in Gryffindor.

Elm wand with phoenix feather though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Just got my notification e-mail. See you, other side, etc.

e1: Overwhelming demand my rear end, how do they expect to handle the load in a couple weeks when 4-5 million people try to get on at the same time?

e2: ash with unicorn core, 14.5", hard

e3: Hufflepuff

e4: WillowWing200, in case friending someone means anything in the future

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 25, 2011

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

:( I didn't know about it or sign up until the 7th day (I'm a bad fan). Still another week or two before I get my email?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Colbear posted:

:( I didn't know about it or sign up until the 7th day (I'm a bad fan). Still another week or two before I get my email?

Random.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I got my confirmation e-mail today too, but haven't been able to use it yet. I reckon I'll just wait until tomorrow morning, when most the world is in bed.
It makes me worry a bit that the site will fall to pieces when it gets released to the public (not to mention when more beta subscribers get in over the next week), but surely the makers of the website couldn't under-estimate the amount of traffic a Harry Potter website would get? I don't care that much, I've already read all the spoilers, but I'd like the site to be a success.

Seems strange, though, that it's doing so badly at handling the beta subscribers when they decided how many beta subscribers there would be.

edit: In now, got sorted into Hufflepuff. Wonderful. I have no friends on Pottermore so feel free to add me: NewtScarlet172

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 25, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Apparently the Hogwarts experience is all about stealing from other people. And here I thought Professor Slughorn was atypical.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Noonsaliwah posted:

I got my confirmation e-mail today too, but haven't been able to use it yet. I reckon I'll just wait until tomorrow morning, when most the world is in bed.
It makes me worry a bit that the site will fall to pieces when it gets released to the public (not to mention when more beta subscribers get in over the next week), but surely the makers of the website couldn't under-estimate the amount of traffic a Harry Potter website would get? I don't care that much, I've already read all the spoilers, but I'd like the site to be a success.

Seems strange, though, that it's doing so badly at handling the beta subscribers when they decided how many beta subscribers there would be.

edit: In now, got sorted into Hufflepuff. Wonderful. I have no friends on Pottermore so feel free to add me: NewtScarlet172

Yeah, I can't say I'm impressed with the sheer number of times the site has gone down. They ought to call up the Neopets people and ask them how they handle server congestion. I'm also disappointed that duelling still isn't working.

I'm trying to figure out how some people have something like 8,000 house points. How in the hell...?

That said, the artwork for the items and the chapter "moments" is really lovely, and I like reading the background info on the characters. :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

arioch posted:

Apparently the Hogwarts experience is all about stealing from other people. And here I thought Professor Slughorn was atypical.

The heroes of the series:

Trespassed into a forbidden area of the castle
Helped smuggle dangerous animals into a foreign country
Broke into the hiding place of the most valuable magical artefact in history
Used rohypnol on a couple of underage boys
Brewed illegal potions
Broke into another house's common room
Threatened and blackmailed a teacher
Tricked a Governor into firing his loyal servant
Gave refuge to a convicted murderer
Freed a dangerous animal that had been sentenced to death
Covered up knowledge of holes in school security
Broke into a local shop
Broke the rules of an ancient tournament
Set up an illegal club to teach material forbidden by school authorities
Broke into the goddamn Ministry of Magic
Broke into the goddamn Ministry of Magic's most secret section
Destroyed thousands of unique prophecies
Cost the Minister of Magic his job
Refused to work with the new Minister of Magic
Used cheat sheets in class to get better marks
Brutally attacked and almost killed another student
Dropped out of school
Broke into the goddamn Ministry of Magic AGAIN!
Got a House Elf killed
Robbed Gringott's Bank
Broke back into the school they dropped out of and attacked teachers working there

Goddamn punk rear end brats. Filch was right, they need discipline!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The heroes of the series:

Trespassed into a forbidden area of the castle
Helped smuggle dangerous animals into a foreign country
Broke into the hiding place of the most valuable magical artefact in history
Used rohypnol on a couple of underage boys
Brewed illegal potions
Broke into another house's common room
Threatened and blackmailed a teacher
Tricked a Governor into firing his loyal servant
Gave refuge to a convicted murderer
Freed a dangerous animal that had been sentenced to death
Covered up knowledge of holes in school security
Broke into a local shop
Broke the rules of an ancient tournament
Set up an illegal club to teach material forbidden by school authorities
Broke into the goddamn Ministry of Magic
Broke into the goddamn Ministry of Magic's most secret section
Destroyed thousands of unique prophecies
Cost the Minister of Magic his job
Refused to work with the new Minister of Magic
Used cheat sheets in class to get better marks
Brutally attacked and almost killed another student
Dropped out of school
Broke into the goddamn Ministry of Magic AGAIN!
Got a House Elf killed
Robbed Gringott's Bank
Broke back into the school they dropped out of and attacked teachers working there

Goddamn punk rear end brats. Filch was right, they need discipline!

To be fair most of those were committed directly to thwart evil.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Just got sorted in Pottermore. The last question was "would you rather be in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff?" which I found interesting. I am not at all sure what sort of algorithm got me there from the previous questions. Naturally I chose Ravenclaw, and was at least slightly offended that it wanted to put me in Hufflepuff.

Here were a couple questions that I didn't quite know how to answer:

You are at a fork in the road. Do you go towards: the ocean, the forest, the castle? I said ocean, I don't know what that says about me other than I like the ocean :iiam:

Dawn or Dusk? I said dusk, 'cause I like to sleep in. I have no idea what that says about Hufflepuff v. Ravenclaw.

There were a few other ones that I'm not sure how they are interpreted, but I chose honestly and I don't know how they led to Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff either. Some of the options were really obvious for one house or another (like, "would you like to be feared? Oh, welcome to Syltherin house!"). Overall, a pretty good system, I think. B+

I'm not sure I'm at all interested in doing anything else in Pottermore, I was just really curious about the sorting process.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I'm talking more like, pilfering alchemy ingredients, checking out books at the library and never returning them, stealing other students course materials, not to mention their Magic: The Gathering cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Paragon8 posted:

To be fair most of those were committed directly to thwart evil.
For the Greater Good

• Locked thread