Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

origami posted:

How does one get better at folkstyle wrestling when they're out of school? I just started bjj and some high schooler wrestled the poo poo out of me.

Depending on where you live this may not be possible. (I think one goon said he trained at a gym in Texas that was dedicated to wrestling. But I think this is pretty rare.) However...

1. See if your local colleges (if any) have wrestling teams and ask if you may practice with them.

2. See if there's a local MMA gym, there should be some classes devoted to no gi take downs, usually taught by someone with wrestling experience.

3. If your local high school has a wrestling team, contact one of the coaches and ask if maybe you and him can train or if he has any leads. (For liability reasons I highly doubt you would be allowed to train with those still in high school.)

4. Ask the wrestler in your class what kind of drills he does in wrestling and practice them outside of class. (Pummeling for under hooks comes to mind.)

5. Get some material on gi and no-gi grip fighting and practice that.

6. Train with lots of different people from diverse throwing/takedown backgrounds. (Judo, Sambo, Freestyle wrestling, Folkstyle Wrestling, Greco-Roman, etc..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Oh, I train with Fiona Muxlow. She's in the 60+ women's division.

It's only just hit home that she's in ADCC now that I've seen her name in the brackets.

I predict she'll either armbar someone or get rear naked choked.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Good news, everyone!

I've gone from the guy at the club everyone can tap out to the guy at the club that mostly everyone can tap out!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Good news, everyone!

I've gone from the guy at the club everyone can tap out to the guy at the club that mostly everyone can tap out!

Haha, I'm in the same boat as you. Yesterday in class I sat in someone's guard and just avoided sweeps and triangles for five minutes. It was the biggest accomplishment of my grappling career.

Oh, and one time, I reclaimed guard from sidemount. :smug:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Good news, everyone!

This is awesome. Trust me, it may not seem like much, but you just watch when someone new comes through the door and you crush them into the dirt!

Keep it up!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

It's interesting that Rani stayed at 66kg considering how drained Kid Peligro was reporting he looked after weighins last tournament.

jordanbreen posted:

Rani Yahya has missed weight in three different weight classes. Him being nine pounds over at ADCC does not surprise me in this way.

EDIT: Apparently Palhares missed weight too

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
What does missing weight actually mean at ADCC? Can they still compete?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Some dude on Sherdog forums is saying Bruno Malfacine is replacing Rani. I don't know if that's true, but I hope it is because Bruno owns.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

What does missing weight actually mean at ADCC? Can they still compete?

With the new weigh-in rules I believe they're both out. I think Toquinho is being replaced by some Scandinavian dude.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

With the new weigh-in rules I believe they're both out. I think Toquinho is being replaced by some Scandinavian dude.

According to the ADCC facebook Rani is being replaced by Rafael Dos Santos(I think this is actually Rafael Dos Anjos). Toquinho was apparently close enough that they're going to let him weigh in tomorrow(I wonder if he'll have to make the original weight or that weight plus whatever allowance they're giving all the other competitors tomorrow).

Also: I'm too broke to order the PPV. gently caress

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 24, 2011

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Paul Harris is back in y'all.

widunder
May 2, 2002
going to this in three hours :cool:

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011

nemoulette posted:

going to this in three hours :cool:

Are you from Nottingham by any chance?

I'm driving there tomorrow and was wondering if it's best to park in the centre or park outside of the city and get a tram in?

EDIT: I should've probably looked at your profile before hand.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Looks like Paul Harris took another leg home with him.

Garcia got a quick guillotine too.

Full Coverage

widunder
May 2, 2002
Paul Harris, the super champion of our hearts. his fights were like usual, dumb, controversial and fantastic. check out his second one especially. restarting, and re-setting, with a completely locked in heel hook? i wonder what'll happen

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

EDIT: Apparently Palhares missed weight too

How the hell do you miss weight by 9 pounds? I can understand just missing it due to hoping you'd float more or a difference in scales. But if you are 9 pounds over why bother even showing up?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Because he's a cheater and likes to wreck people's legs for no reason.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

Because he's a cheater and likes to wreck people's legs for no reason.

Toquinho wasn't 9 pounds over, Rani was.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The second part of my post still applies.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At this point I honestly cannot tell if Tree Stumpy is some kind of terrifying sociopath or just posses retard strength and an unfortunate skill set(for his opponents).

I'm really kind of leaning towards sociopath, or very close on the scale. Obviously, I am neither a trained professional nor have I done the extensive battery of tests necessary to diagnose something like that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

At this point I honestly cannot tell if Tree Stumpy is some kind of terrifying sociopath or just posses retard strength and an unfortunate skill set(for his opponents).

I'm really kind of leaning towards sociopath, or very close on the scale. Obviously, I am neither a trained professional nor have I done the extensive battery of tests necessary to diagnose something like that.

Some dudes just get in the zone when competing. I used to play rugby with a kid who's now a social worker for abused children and I've seen him stomp on peoples faces on the field, just a complete evil oval office when the whistle blew otherwise dude could win nice guy of the millennium award.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Can we get a DNA test on Gabi Garcia? I'm not totally convinced she possesses two X chromosomes

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Mens -66kg final:
Rafa Mendes def. Cobrinha on points (well really he didn't score any points but Cobrinha jumped guard and got a negative point)

Mens -77kg final:
Marcelo def. Leo Vieira by triangle

Mens -88kg final:
Andre Galvao def. Paul Harris on points 8-3

Mens -99kg final:
Dean "the greatest middleweight that never was" Lister def. Joao Assis by heel hook (Dean openly baited Joao into a leg lock battle and Joao stupidly bit on it)

Mens +99kg final:
Vinny Magalhaes def. Fabricio Werdum on points (towards the end Werdum had Vinny in what looked like a sickeningly deep armbar but Vinny refused to tap and eventually escaped)

Now we're just waiting for the absolute bracket to be finalized.

Edit:

Absolute news:
-No Mendes
-No Marcelo
-No Cyborg
-No Paul Harris

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 25, 2011

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I need to see Marcelos traingle real bad.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Galvao won by toe hold!

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Just got back but wasn't able to stay for the Absolute bracket.

Werdum/Vinny was epic. gently caress knows how he didn't tap to that armbar, but the crowd went wild when Vinny escaped. Pretty funny as about 20 fighters and media all ran over to the mat when it happened. Jacare was jumping up and down like a lunatic trying to give Werdum coaching.

Palhares is a monster. Even more so in real life. 4 leg locks in a row and he nearly had Galvao in the final. Probably the most fun grappler to watch.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ch3cooh posted:

Mens -77kg final:
Marcelo def. Leo Vieira by triangle

I didn't think I'd ever be surprised by hearing about a Marcelo victory, yet here we are.

widunder
May 2, 2002
after having shaken his giant hands, i can safely say than lister has put on a lot of muscle. dude looks absolutely sculpted.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
When and where can we expect adcc videos to be up?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I didn't think I'd ever be surprised by hearing about a Marcelo victory, yet here we are.

he went to it from mount, and it looked very controlled and natural, Leo had like zero chance and never even got close to escaping.

It was pretty early in the morning so I was just like, "nice finish" then 5 minutes "Ohh.. wait...wow!".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marcos Avellan posted:

It was a weird situation right after… Palharas started to celebrate, thinking the match was over, and came over to hug my brother, but as he hugged my brother, he slapped him across the head really hard. So one arm went out for a hug, the other went for a slap on the head (lol). My brother was naturally pissed by the heel hook and the slap.

Palharas seemed genuinely confused, both about his cranking after the ref said stop and by the rejection of his post fight “hug”. I think he was sincerely genuine, I just think he is crazy, like bi-polar or something.

Palhares has the brains of a cheese sandwich.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

fatherdog posted:

Palhares has the brains of a cheese sandwich.

This is what would happen if Lennie from Of Mice and Men loved heel hooks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I still stand by my theory that he is a murderous sociopath that has coldly perfected his "simple-apeman" act so he won't be banned from competition for destroying people's legs.

I hold this theory for Imanari too.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

I still stand by my theory that he is a murderous sociopath that has coldly perfected his "simple-apeman" act so he won't be banned from competition for destroying people's legs.

I actually sincerely worry sometimes about whether or not he should be allowed to compete. Watching the Miller fight and this just makes me wonder if something is legitimately awry with him or if he is this oblivious.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Supposedly Galvao was pissed as well because Palhares wrenched on his thumb to break a grip when they fought in the final.
Toquinho seems like such a cool humble guy whenever they interview him but it definitely does seem that he's not all there mentally. :(

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

Supposedly Galvao was pissed as well because Palhares wrenched on his thumb to break a grip when they fought in the final.
Toquinho seems like such a cool humble guy whenever they interview him but it definitely does seem that he's not all there mentally. :(

In his post match interview Galvao said he was smacking him across the head really hard too(I think Galvao complained about it to the refs and Palhares ended up getting a negative point for it too).

It's kind of crazy how often he does something inexplicably dumb(3 of his last 4 fights in the UFC plus allegedly 2 of his 4 matches at ADCC).

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

dokomoy posted:

In his post match interview Galvao said he was smacking him across the head really hard too(I think Galvao complained about it to the refs and Palhares ended up getting a negative point for it too).

at least cooler heads prevailed and we didn't get a repeat of the Ricardo Arona Pancrase match

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah Palhares' behaviour was just bizarre.

When he went to hug his opponent or their corner men, he nearly launched them half way across the arena.

It was pretty funny until he did it to Lovato after he'd nearly ripped off his leg. The man did not look happy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

dokomoy posted:

It's kind of crazy how often he does something inexplicably dumb(3 of his last 4 fights in the UFC plus allegedly 2 of his 4 matches at ADCC).

He does something shady, or hurts somebody in basically ever MMA or grappling fight hes involved in. At what point do people say, "hey, this guy is an rear end in a top hat", and do something about it? I think hes not so innocent and knowingly pushes the rules for his benefit and pulls the Lenny with the rabbit act when hes called out for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

He does something shady, or hurts somebody in basically ever MMA or grappling fight hes involved in. At what point do people say, "hey, this guy is an rear end in a top hat", and do something about it? I think hes not so innocent and knowingly pushes the rules for his benefit and pulls the Lenny with the rabbit act when hes called out for it.

I want to like him because he's entertaining but on the other hand he's a shitheel and knowingly hurts his opponents and pretty flagrantly cheats in his MMA matches.