Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Sweet a merc thread! I'm a student in perth looking for a reliable and low maintenance car, how is a 2002 W203 C180 for that?

I can't stop laughing at username and question combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Times are tough I'm afraid.. it hasn't spared even us analsex-havers

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I have a friend with a 2001 C-class, the A/C doesn't work, neither do the windshield wipers. On the plus side, unlike an old turbo diesel, it does not break every day, just some days.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Sweet a merc thread! I'm a student in perth looking for a reliable and low maintenance car, how is a 2002 W203 C180 for that? Looking at carsurvey.org reviews it seems lots of mercs seem to have rust problems around the 5-10 year mark so I'll be checking for that, but apart from rust are there any issues I should look out for? How are the electronics, AC etc?

You should ask these guys.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

b0nes posted:

Wasn't there a guy here with a 4 door Merc' that was supercharged? I wonder what happened to him and the car?

There were a couple of us. The E55 AMG had a 5.5L supercharged v8 in a big 4-door sedan that weighed just shy of 2 tons. 516ft/lb of torque at 2600RPM, though.

I sold mine a few weeks ago. It's the most amazing car I've ever owned. I like not having a car payment anymore, though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sweet a merc thread! I'm a student in perth looking for a reliable and low maintenance car, how is a 2002 W203 C180 for that? Looking at carsurvey.org reviews it seems lots of mercs seem to have rust problems around the 5-10 year mark so I'll be checking for that, but apart from rust are there any issues I should look out for? How are the electronics, AC etc?
No, it wont be cheap to run a Mercedes as a student, especially in Australia where parts are hideously expensive. Stick with a Japanese/Korean car during your student years, and get a Mercedes when you have a good income stream.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Mr.Peabody posted:

You should ask these guys.

Lots of people on there lowering and putting kits and 21" rims on loving W221s of all cars :wtc:

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas

b0nes posted:

Wasn't there a guy here with a 4 door Merc' that was supercharged? I wonder what happened to him and the car?

It was probably me or Nait. I've had my 2004 E55 for two and a half years and 50,000 miles. It currently has 113,000 on it and runs just like the day I bought it. Actually better, since it has a 180mm pulley(13-14 PSI), tune, and air filters. It weighs 4,500 pounds with me in it and a full tank of gas and has ran an 11.96 @ 116mph in OK weather. Truly a remarkable car, and I've been very lucky and had no major problems.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

No, it wont be cheap to run a Mercedes as a student, especially in Australia where parts are hideously expensive. Stick with a Japanese/Korean car during your student years, and get a Mercedes when you have a good income stream.

Also if you're going to do a Mercedes you may as well do it right - the base models (at least the ones from that period) have zero redeeming features.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

dissss posted:

Also if you're going to do a Mercedes you may as well do it right - the base models (at least the ones from that period) have zero redeeming features.

Honestly cars here are actually hilariously cheap compared to my home country. Where I come from a new C-class would cost around 150k USD right now and would depreciate at around 10k a year, almost no one buys second-hand, and after the second owner cars either get exported or scrapped, so a 9-10 year old merc for 10 grand is almost a toy. Cost is a factor but not too big of one. My concerns with reliability have more to do with convenience; don't want to have to go somewhere and find the car doesn't start, or be in a rainstorm and discover the wipers have decided to stop working.

The reason I'm looking at europeans is even though they have a bad reputation for value I've always loved the ride, non of that light springiness you get in a Toyota or Nissan.

Anyway, back to the cars. Regarding the bit about zero redeeming features, family friends who have owned the W124s and W140s with base engines say they were utterly horrible to drive, not nearly enough power. At the same time I've a friend with the 2011 W204 and W221 with base engines and they're totally adequate in terms of power/acceleration. Of course this is a city state so adequate probably translates to mildly lovely here, but just for arguments sake how does the 2002 C180 far in relation?

And what other features does it not redeem itself with? Trim? Perhaps built like a Toyota to Lexus? Again, I'm mostly after the sensation of sitting in a padded tank, anything more is optional so it doesn't really matter if the heated seats or testicular massagers that come standard in the more premium levels aren't even optional in the C..

PS: My friend bought a 1999 BMW E36 because he was advised that a later model E36 would have less bugs than an early model (say 2000,2001) E46. Does this apply to all brands or is it just bullshit?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
From what I've heard the "dark years" for Merc quality are something like 2002-2007. From 07 onwards build quality was back up to what was once expected from MB.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

el topo posted:

From what I've heard the "dark years" for Merc quality are something like 2002-2007. From 07 onwards build quality was back up to what was once expected from MB.

:S I was afraid of that.. 2007+'s still too expensive to justify and the 90s model range is kinda ugly imo.. Whelp might go for an E46 after all.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

:S I was afraid of that.. 2007+'s still too expensive to justify and the 90s model range is kinda ugly imo.. Whelp might go for an E46 after all.

You list a primary concern as reliability. While certainly better than an MB of the same area, I would not list an E46 as particularly reliable. It is a good combination of several positive qualities, but pure reliability is not one of them.
Tank-like? Reliable? You sir, want an LS400/LS430.

Also, I am guessing Singapore? I cannot imagine how miserable an existence it would be to spend USD $150k on a car like a C-class.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 27, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tai-Pan posted:

Also, I am guessing Singapore? I cannot imagine how miserable an existence it would be to spend USD $150k on a car like a C-class.

The cheapest possible C-class is USD $87k here (C180), but that's in a whole other league :psyduck:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Tai-Pan posted:

You list a primary concern as reliability. While certainly better than an MB of the same area, I would not list an E46 as particularly reliable. It is a good combination of several positive qualities, but pure reliability is not one of them.
Tank-like? Reliable? You sir, want an LS400/LS430.

Aha, the current LS is my dream car next to the Mercedes S, and I'd snap up a used one in a heartbeat. Either Perth-ians don't like the LS or like them too much to sell them though, only IS and ESes around. I might as well get a Camry.

quote:

You sir are a mindreader. You wouldn't guess it from the number of cars on the road though, and you rarely find one under 5 years old. These are the current prices of Certificates of Entitlement (which you need for any car you actually want to drive). That's 50 grand for any vehicle with a 1.6l engine or larger on a piece of paper, before the cost of the car, the tax on the car, road tax, or insurance :D

Unbelievably lots of people still think it's too cheap to own a car here, and would have government increase tarifs and taxes. The perils of having close to 20k people per square mile.

e: I have to admit, an upside is you won't find W221s with kits and 21" spinners cruising around

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 27, 2011

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

You sir are a mindreader. You wouldn't guess it from the number of cars on the road though, and you rarely find one under 5 years old. These are the current prices of Certificates of Entitlement (which you need for any car you actually want to drive). That's 50 grand for any vehicle with a 1.6l engine or larger on a piece of paper, before the cost of the car, the tax on the car, road tax, or insurance :D

:stare: and I thought we had it tough in Canada...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Wow drat, my C300 was actually a sort of cheap choice. It wasn't even that expensive to insure, I would've paid more for an economy car. I obviously haven't had it long enough to judge the reliability but the engine knocks/makes bad noises sometimes when started, which is supposed to be a common, harmless issue. And the 08'-11' models have a really, really basic interior and the GPS is a stupid pop-out unit, the '12 and up C-class is much nicer and actually has navigation laid into the dash. I doubt I'll keep it very long, the sport suspension isn't a great choice for NYC driving and I'd much rather be parking something smaller.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Honestly cars here are actually hilariously cheap compared to my home country. Where I come from a new C-class would cost around 150k USD right now and would depreciate at around 10k a year, almost no one buys second-hand, and after the second owner cars either get exported or scrapped, so a 9-10 year old merc for 10 grand is almost a toy.
Even more reason to do it right and get a better model (which should barely be more expensive).

Anyway, back to the cars. Regarding the bit about zero redeeming features, family friends who have owned the W124s and W140s with base engines say they were utterly horrible to drive, not nearly enough power. At the same time I've a friend with the 2011 W204 and W221 with base engines and they're totally adequate in terms of power/acceleration. Of course this is a city state so adequate probably translates to mildly lovely here, but just for arguments sake how does the 2002 C180 far in relation?

Much more towards the earlier end of the scale - remember this is a relatively heavy weight car with less power than a contemporary Corolla.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Does anyone in this thread have any experience with W114/W115 automatic transmissions? There's a nice, straight 1970 250 sedan for sale in my area that has a "bad" transmission, but the owner doesn't specify what symptoms it's displaying. From reading Peachparts, it seems like these models had delicate transmissions to begin with, and at this age even rebuilds are a crapshoot, but is there anything obvious I might check for before writing it off as a bad idea?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's a bad idea. The Mercedes autos are great and smooth when working (seriously, the autos in my parents 1970s MBs were better than electronically controlled ones in recent Fords or GMs), but expensive and a black hole when dying. Look for another Mercedes.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That was my inclination-thanks!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Alright I might go for a 2001 Elegance trim E320 (W210). Out of curiosity is the stock GPS system even worth using? Assuming routing and directions are adequate, how would it get map updates?

e: Nevermind, looks like its some POS aftermarket Chinese thing

e2: Okay, apparently it's a Blaupunkt COMAND 2.0 which is apparently OEM for the E and ML classes W210/163 and apparently retrofitting it into Mercs that didn't come with them originally (trying to find pictures of a 2001 W210 dash is what led me to some Alibaba page a unit that looked exactly like that, except sold by a factory in bumfuck China). Assuming it is an actual COMAND unit and not some Chinese clone, how well would it work? From the numerous technical guides I just glossed over I gather software/map upgrades are done via dealer. How much would it cost if I drove up to a Merc dealership and requested an update?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 29, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alright I might go for a 2001 Elegance trim E320 (W210).
Why aren't you listening to us? We've told you to stay away from that era of Mercedes.

I only hope your parents run a mining company in WA, cos you are going to need the money to keep one of those models working.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

How much would it cost if I drove up to a Merc dealership and requested an update?

I read this with your username and sniggered a bit.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Reposting these from the post your ride thread:

My very own Merc. 1986 190e 2.3-16. I need to get the fenders rolled since the previous owner put some lowered springs in it and it rubs a little during cornering. Apparently the SLS system is still in there but has been disconnected and disabled since it was leaking.

One other question - how much would a shop typically charge in order to recharge the AC and diagnose any leaks that might be present? Anyone know of one in the Bay Area, CA?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks good, however I'm not liking the clear rear indicator lenses.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

You Am I posted:

Looks good, however I'm not liking the clear rear indicator lenses.

I searched and searched for frosted clear ones and couldn't find them. I think they still look better than the regular amber ones did. Especially in person.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

You Am I posted:

Why aren't you listening to us? We've told you to stay away from that era of Mercedes.

I only hope your parents run a mining company in WA, cos you are going to need the money to keep one of those models working.

Woah, apart from your general warning to stay away from Mercs I got

el topo posted:

and dissss advising that the base models should be avoided.. Are ALL Mercs of the W210 and W208 generation poo poo then?

What about a 1980s~ 230E then? I'm assuming since he didn't mention anything there aren't glaring patches of rust, and its cheap enough to scrap if something important and expensive fails a year or so in. Though my uncle has one and poo poo like the electric windows just never stay working. And does the long flat bonnet make it a bitch to park?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

and dissss advising that the base models should be avoided.. Are ALL Mercs of the W210 and W208 generation poo poo then?
They're not "poo poo" poo poo, they're just less reliable and more prone to rust than other Mercedes'.

quote:

What about a 1980s~ 230E then? I'm assuming since he didn't mention anything there aren't glaring patches of rust, and its cheap enough to scrap if something important and expensive fails a year or so in. Though my uncle has one and poo poo like the electric windows just never stay working. And does the long flat bonnet make it a bitch to park?

W123's are good. The venerable 300D that always gets talked about as "slow, but unstoppable like a glacier" was a W123. Unfortunately, a lot of those have been ruined by bad veggie oil conversions. The gasoline models are unaffected by this, obviously.

If you ask me, the W124 and W201 (E-class and 190/C-class, respectively) are probably the best cars Mercedes ever made. My parents had two 190's and even with over 1.4 million km between them, they're the best and most dependable cars they've ever had.

The W202 they had was utter crap, though.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 30, 2011

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

ZenMastaT posted:

My very own Merc. 1986 190e 2.3-16.

Hot. If you don't mind me asking, how many miles and how much did you pay?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Tai-Pan posted:

Hot. If you don't mind me asking, how many miles and how much did you pay?

135k miles and $6k dollars. Not an unbeatable price but the car is in pretty good shape. I'm apparently the third owner - the guy I bought it from had it for a good 15 years or so and kept it garaged the whole time. He's the one who put custom springs in it which brings it so low to the ground. The guy races Lotus' in his spare time so I figured he knew what he was doing.

I've since spent another $700 or so adding silly parts like those Euro headlights and that MoMo steering wheel to it. Still need to get the fenders rolled, the AC recharged, the rear seats restitched and potentially a new dashboard somewhere down the line.

Oh yeah, and an arm/stalk for the extra head unit for the 80s CD changer someone put in aftermarket when the car was new. I have been totally unable to figure out what that little arm is called but I've seen them in action on fancy 80s cars with Blaupunkt stereos before.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

ZenMastaT posted:

135k miles and $6k dollars. Not an unbeatable price but the car is in pretty good shape. I'm apparently the third owner - the guy I bought it from had it for a good 15 years or so and kept it garaged the whole time. He's the one who put custom springs in it which brings it so low to the ground. The guy races Lotus' in his spare time so I figured he knew what he was doing.

I've since spent another $700 or so adding silly parts like those Euro headlights and that MoMo steering wheel to it. Still need to get the fenders rolled, the AC recharged, the rear seats restitched and potentially a new dashboard somewhere down the line.

Oh yeah, and an arm/stalk for the extra head unit for the 80s CD changer someone put in aftermarket when the car was new. I have been totally unable to figure out what that little arm is called but I've seen them in action on fancy 80s cars with Blaupunkt stereos before.

The stalk would be a Blaupunkt BEQ 60, 65 and others. There's a BEQ-60 on eBay right now. Nice 190e, I love the blockly styling and monowiper!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINT...=item3cbc85bc53

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Are parts a nightmare for those 16v Cosworth mercs? I've always loved them, and there a few high-mileage ones on eBay...

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

ZenMastaT posted:

135k miles and $6k dollars.

Thats a pretty good price for one in good condition. Nice find!

Is it wrong to think you should put an EVO II wing on it?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Is there any reason not to buy an older wagon? The E320 from the early 2000s seems nice enough and they are usually about $4000 or so, which is reasonable. Am I missing something?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

The Third Man posted:

Are parts a nightmare for those 16v Cosworth mercs? I've always loved them, and there a few high-mileage ones on eBay...

As far as I know it shares most part with regular 190Es. The transmission is apparently in common with BMW E30 M3s too, not that those are super common. As far as the specific 2.3-16 parts, yeah I imagine they cost a bit - luckily everything important works on this one so far.

As far as an EVO II wing goes that would certainly make people take notice but I think it's probably a bit much, especially since this car doesn't really have a lot of oomph to back it up.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

jet sanchEz posted:

Is there any reason not to buy an older wagon? The E320 from the early 2000s seems nice enough and they are usually about $4000 or so, which is reasonable. Am I missing something?

If you are a fan of unreliability and expensive parts, then by all means go for it.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

ZenMastaT posted:

As far as an EVO II wing goes that would certainly make people take notice but I think it's probably a bit much, especially since this car doesn't really have a lot of oomph to back it up.

Aren't the US cosworth heads a bit lower compression?
I see plenty of room for a turbo in there.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Tai-Pan posted:

If you are a fan of unreliability and expensive parts, then by all means go for it.

Thanks, this is good to know as I am very likely buying a wagon. I guess it'll be a Volvo now. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

ZenMastaT posted:

Reposting these from the post your ride thread:

My very own Merc. 1986 190e 2.3-16. I need to get the fenders rolled since the previous owner put some lowered springs in it and it rubs a little during cornering. Apparently the SLS system is still in there but has been disconnected and disabled since it was leaking.

One other question - how much would a shop typically charge in order to recharge the AC and diagnose any leaks that might be present? Anyone know of one in the Bay Area, CA?

crackin auto.

guess what, hmm? thanksgiving is in los angeles this year. you are pleased to be bringing this benz, right?

quote:

-dan

e: :gay: