Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Olanphonia posted:

Beyond the absolute hilarity that is the rest of that article, I'm pretty sure that DEFCON 1 is the lowest readiness state, while DEFCON 5 is the scary one.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Olanphonia posted:

Beyond the absolute hilarity that is the rest of that article, I'm pretty sure that DEFCON 1 is the lowest readiness state, while DEFCON 5 is the scary one.

No, it's the other way around.

e: f;b

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

XyloJW posted:

So, a friend of mine who is a pretty good person posted this on Facebook with the explanation "Hate crime is terrible!"

http://www.breitbart.tv/black-students-attack-white-man-for-eating-dinner-with-black-man/

"BLACK STUDENTS ATTACK WHITE MAN FOR EATING DINNER WITH BLACK MAN"

From what I read (didn't watch the video), it sounds like yeah, these 4 kids attacked the dude because he's white. But it's very telling that it's on Breitbart and Free Republic and Drudge. I'm not sure how to respond. I know she honestly doesn't realize that Breitbart is a slimebag and that he has an agenda in pointing out a black-on-white hate crime. But I'm unsure in how to even bring that up without defending or minimalizing the actual act.

Point out the fact if those kids did in fact attack the man for being white than it's a hate crime and they will ideally be charged as such. It's the same thing with the Wisconsin fair when the same people went "Look at all these black kids attacking white people and not getting charged with it!!!!" *at least one person arrested was charged with hate crimes*

It's not like almost a 1/5 of race hate crimes are actually from people with an anti-white bias.....oh wait
http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2009/incidents.html

It's funny, even after showing some people the statistics, many are still convinced hate crime legislation is used solely on white people against black people for only race crimes.

Though once I got a response from someone that the numbers for sexual orientation aren't right because there are roving gangs of gays that go around attacking straight people and never get charged for it :wtc:

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Take a look at this poo poo.

edit: since when are attachments not working?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Keshik posted:

The only reasonable reply to such a thing is "OK, have fun in Somalia!".

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Inane fire codes.

Mister Bee
Apr 28, 2009

Hup hup, Mister Bee!

Keshik posted:

I can't make out what's under the [Tag Photo] label at the bottom right but I really hope it's some variant on "gently caress you, got mine."

And goddamn it am I sick of the concept of "punitive taxes" getting bounced around. Because a tax is somehow punitive if it goes to something you use from a fee on something you use it for?

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

Keshik posted:

This makes me ashamed because it represents the failure of our education system to instill even the most basic sense of critical thought or analysis in the people who write this. They're just unable to see and understand any kind of complex, interdependent relationship.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always wondered what happened to manufacturing in the US. Apparently it was a marauding band of violent fire marshals who shut them all down due to ridiculous made-up liberal issues like "fire safety".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's all because those damned liberals banned asbestos! :argh:

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Baronjutter posted:

I always wondered what happened to manufacturing in the US. Apparently it was a marauding band of violent fire marshals who shut them all down due to ridiculous made-up liberal issues like "fire safety".

Funny enough, we're still the number one manufacturing country in the world, if you just look at output.

wikipedia posted:

In 2008, its manufacturing output was greater than that of the manufacturing output of China, India, and Brazil combined, despite manufacturing being a very small portion of the entire US economy as compared to most other countries.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pfirti86 posted:

Funny enough, we're still the number one manufacturing country in the world, if you just look at output.

I wonder if they count weapons manufacturing...

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

spankmeister posted:

I wonder if they count weapons manufacturing...

Actually, aircraft (commercial and military) are the biggest sectors. Boeing and other manufacturers are one of few companies that companies and nations can turn to for a variety of commercial airliners.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Pfirti86 posted:

2008? Yeah that was before Barry Hussein Obama got into power with his "Union ThugsTM". We're probably like 56th now.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

XyloJW posted:

So, a friend of mine who is a pretty good person posted this on Facebook with the explanation "Hate crime is terrible!"

http://www.breitbart.tv/black-students-attack-white-man-for-eating-dinner-with-black-man/

"BLACK STUDENTS ATTACK WHITE MAN FOR EATING DINNER WITH BLACK MAN"

From what I read (didn't watch the video), it sounds like yeah, these 4 kids attacked the dude because he's white. But it's very telling that it's on Breitbart and Free Republic and Drudge. I'm not sure how to respond. I know she honestly doesn't realize that Breitbart is a slimebag and that he has an agenda in pointing out a black-on-white hate crime. But I'm unsure in how to even bring that up without defending or minimalizing the actual act.

Yeah as others have pointed out this may well be a legitimate story. The telling part is that he chose to post it and that breitbart picked it up at all. A month or so ago there was a story almost identical to this that took place in my city (st. louis) except the races were flipped. A white guy went nuts when he saw another white person (a man) walking around with a black guy and tried to kill them both with a pickaxe. When the cops arrested him he said something to the effect that black people should all be killed. Of course no national conservative media picked that up.

edit: story http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_a96ce47a-ce9d-11e0-ba8e-0019bb30f31a.html

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

andrew smash posted:

Yeah as others have pointed out this may well be a legitimate story. The telling part is that he chose to post it and that breitbart picked it up at all. A month or so ago there was a story almost identical to this that took place in my city (st. louis) except the races were flipped. A white guy went nuts when he saw another white person (a man) walking around with a black guy and tried to kill them both with a pickaxe. When the cops arrested him he said something to the effect that black people should all be killed. Of course no national conservative media picked that up.

edit: story http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_a96ce47a-ce9d-11e0-ba8e-0019bb30f31a.html

Yeah, I was pretty sure it's a legit story. Basically, I was trying to think of a tactful way to point out that it is far more common for the opposite to happen but that it rarely makes national news.

Thanks for providing the perfect example of it happening and not being picked up by Breitbart and Free Republic and The Blaze.

Amused to Death posted:

It's not like almost a 1/5 of race hate crimes are actually from people with an anti-white bias.....oh wait
http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2009/incidents.html

And thanks to you for providing the statistical proof that 70% of hate crimes are against black people and 17% are against white people.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

XyloJW posted:

And thanks to you for providing the statistical proof that 70% of hate crimes are against black people and 17% are against white people.

Everyone knew that already, but a huge segment of people really think hate crimes are only ever used by the liberal PC courts on white people against black people for every crime a white person does or some zany poo poo. That hate crimes exist solely to punish heterosexual white males for no reason, not like they just tend to perpetuate a good deal of them or anything. It's pretty disconcerting the number of people who when forced to face actual numbers will pull the "nope, they're lying and making it up to fit their agenda" card. All the categories from race to religion, to property and physical crimes are all probably under reported as hell too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Figured this would fit here, the LA Times did an article on the comments posted about school funding.

My favorite is the first one.

quote:

Students' parents need to begin picking up the tab for their kids' education. The era of a "free" education are coming to a rapid close. We taxpayers no longer can afford to fund others' largesse. Parents have to pay their "fair share."

NO MORE FREE RIDE, KIDS!

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Someone from my high school sent me that terrible abortion story where the fetus goes on about he is in heaven and how much he loves his mommy ect. Everyone here has likely seen it in some form or another. I asked her why she sent that out to everyone, since it it would make a girl who had an abortion feel horrible about herself when it was already an incredibly difficult decision.

She responded by reminding me that abortion is wrong because she was adopted and if her birth mother had access to abortion, she would never exist! Also, if everyone who had a mean husband aborted their baby (as in the version of the story she sent), her own daughter would never exist either!!!

How am I supposed to respond to something like this? :psyduck:

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Huge Liability posted:

Someone from my high school sent me that terrible abortion story where the fetus goes on about he is in heaven and how much he loves his mommy ect. Everyone here has likely seen it in some form or another. I asked her why she sent that out to everyone, since it it would make a girl who had an abortion feel horrible about herself when it was already an incredibly difficult decision.

She responded by reminding me that abortion is wrong because she was adopted and if her birth mother had access to abortion, she would never exist! Also, if everyone who had a mean husband aborted their baby (as in the version of the story she sent), her own daughter would never exist either!!!

The absurdity in the sin of hypothetical children never having a chance to exist is pretty easy to demonstrate.

If it's wrong to prevent a hypothetical child from ever existing, then to avoid that wrong we'd need to arrange society in such a way that women never menstruate because they must be pregnant from pubescence through menopause.

Even then, you're still committing wrong because of the countless combinations of sperm and egg that you can't produce because for every viable egg there's like ten trillion sperm, so for every child you create you're denying ten trillion minus one children the right to exist. Plus, for the sperm you pair to an egg, you've denied that sperm the chance to pair with another one of the 2 billion or so other eggs that were viable that month.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Huge Liability posted:

If she wants to go with "then they'd never exist!", then what about people like me? My mom had an abortion a few years before I was born. If she didn't have that abortion, her circumstances would be different, and I wouldn't be here.

Anyway, you can't go with "they'd never exist" because there are so many things that change a person's life to make things so different that their children would never exist. What if whatever caused her mother to have sex/a relationship with her father never happened? Well, we should make sure it always happens, because otherwise, she wouldn't exist! We should also force people to stay with their mean husbands, since that means they'll get pregnant and we can't have them not getting pregnant, because then those babies just wouldn't exist.

That's what I'd respond with, at least. I hate "they'd never exist" reasoning so much.

e: We should get rid of birth control. If her mother had been on birth control/the birth control worked better, she wouldn't exist either! So many people that ought to exist that don't, all because of birth control! :ohdear:

Flowers fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 26, 2011

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

vxskud posted:

From my Facebook feed

If it had been posted by any other person on my friend's list I would assume it was a joke but alas he seriously believes this crap.

He apparently got this from this website: http://dancingczars.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/tunnels-to-at-least-13-underground-bases-being-sealed-off/

Which is all kinds of crazy. I'm not really sure what to say to people like that. I mean they honestly believe this crap when there is no evidence and when the story goes against existing evidence (FEMA agents in a fire fight, really? Or that the CIA is responsible for nuclear weapons instead of the DoEnergy?).

Anything you try to say to them will be met with "that's just what the government wants you to think, they're hiding the truth that only I have access to for some reason!!!" I usually just ignore them, or if I'm in a playful mood, I'll argue with them that they're wrong by proposing even crazier ideas.

For example, the detonations really occurred as a result of fights between the Department of Education and the Giant Worm People. Obama is heading to Denver to meet with the other leaders of the Giant Worm People, which he is secretly part of, so that he can lead them to victory over the US Shadow Government and New World Order that are trying to eradicate the GWP as part of their plan for total Global dominance.

"What do you mean there's no evidence? You're just brainwashed!"

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Flowers posted:

If she wants to go with "then they'd never exist!", then what about people like me? My mom had an abortion a few years before I was born. If she didn't have that abortion, her circumstances would be different, and I wouldn't be here.

Anyway, you can't go with "they'd never exist" because there are so many things that change a person's life to make things so different that their children would never exist. What if whatever caused her mother to have sex/a relationship with her father never happened? Well, we should make sure it always happens, because otherwise, she wouldn't exist! We should also force people to stay with their mean husbands, since that means they'll get pregnant and we can't have them not getting pregnant, because then those babies just wouldn't exist.

That's what I'd respond with, at least. I hate "they'd never exist" reasoning so much.

e: We should get rid of birth control. If her mother had been on birth control/the birth control worked better, she wouldn't exist either! So many people that ought to exist that don't, all because of birth control! :ohdear:

Yeah, that argument is silly, but it feels so right. I've got an even more extreme example.

My Grandfather was in the US Navy when he was 19. He was preparing for the land invasion of Japan and would have been part of the first wave of a land attack. But instead, the atomic bombs were dropped. As a result he went on to have three kids, they had six kids, and I've had two more. And there will likely be future generations from my kids and my cousin's kids, grandkids, etc. None of whom would have existed if the US hadn't killed thousands, including unborn Japanese babies. Therefor, killing them must have been the right thing to do...

Plus, studies of abortions have found that women who have abortions still end up having the same number of children, they just have those kids later. So by not aborting babies A and B, babies D and E never exist. Clearly there is only one solution to this "would never have existed" problem. All girls must become pregnant and constantly be pregnant/giving birth from the time they hit puberty. Its the only way to prevent millions of children from "never existing" each month due to the horrors of menstruation.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I got this sent to me at work, watch out, its pretty long and really hilarious:
If you are concerned about your children and grandchildren you should definitely read this !!

David Kaiser is a respected historian whose published works have covered a broad range of topics, from European Warfare to American League Baseball. Born in 1947, the son of a diplomat, Kaiser spent his childhood in three capital cities: Washington D.C. , Albany , New York , and Dakar , Senegal .. He attended Harvard University , graduating there in 1969 with a B.A. in history. He then spent several years more at Harvard, gaining a PhD in history, which he obtained in 1976.. He served in the Army Reserve from 1970 to 1976

He is a professor in the Strategy and Policy Department of the United States Naval War College . He has previously taught at Carnegie Mellon, Williams College and Harvard University . Kaiser's latest book, The Road to Dallas, about the Kennedy assassination, was just published by Harvard University Press.

Dr. David Kaiser

History Unfolding
I am a student of history. Professionally, I have written 15 books on history that have been published in six languages, and I have studied history all my life. I have come to think there is something monumentally large afoot, and I do not believe it is simply a banking crisis, or a mortgage crisis, or a credit crisis. Yes these exist, but they are merely single facets on a very large gemstone that is only now coming into a sharper focus..

Something of historic proportions is happening. I can sense it because I know how it feels, smells, what it looks like, and how people react to it. Yes, a perfect storm may be brewing, but there is something happening within our country that has been evolving for about ten to fifteen years. The pace has dramatically quickened in the past two.

We demand and then codify into law the requirement that our banks make massive loans to people we know they can never pay back? Why?

We learned just days ago that the Federal Reserve, which has little or no real oversight by anyone, has "loaned" two trillion dollars (that is $2,000,000,000,000) over the past few months, but will not tell us to whom or why or disclose the terms. That is our money. Yours and mine. And that is three times the $700 billion we all argued about so strenuously just this past September. Who has this money? Why do they have it? Why are the terms unavailable to us? Who asked for it? Who authorized it? I thought this was a government of "we the people," who loaned our powers to our elected leaders. Apparently not.

We have spent two or more decades intentionally de-industrializing our economy... Why?

We have intentionally dumbed down our schools, ignored our history, and no longer teach our founding documents, why we are exceptional, and why we are worth preserving. Students by and large cannot write, think critically, read, or articulate. Parents are not revolting, teachers are not picketing, school boards continue to back mediocrity. Why?

We have now established the precedent of protesting every close election (violently in California over a proposition that is so controversial that it simply wants marriage to remain defined as between one man and one woman. Did you ever think such a thing possible just a decade ago?) We have corrupted our sacred political process by allowing unelected judges to write laws that radically change our way of life, and then mainstream Marxist groups like ACORN and others to turn our voting system into a banana republic. To what purpose?

Now our mortgage industry is collapsing, housing prices are in free fall, major industries are failing, our banking system is on the verge of collapse, social security is nearly bankrupt, as is Medicare and our entire government. Our education system is worse than a joke (I teach college and I know precisely what I am talking about) - the list is staggering in its length, breadth, and depth.. It is potentially 1929 x ten...And we are at war with an enemy we cannot even name for fear of offending people of the same religion, who, in turn, cannot wait to slit the throats of your children if they have the opportunity to do so.

And finally, we have elected a man that no one really knows anything about, who has never run so much as a Dairy Queen, let alone a town as big as Wasilla , Alaska .. All of his associations and alliances are with real radicals in their chosen fields of employment, and everything we learn about him, drip by drip, is unsettling if not downright scary (Surely you have heard him speak about his idea to create and fund a mandatory civilian defense force stronger than our military for use inside our borders? No? Oh, of course. The media would never play that for you over and over and then demand he answer it. Sarah Palin's pregnant daughter and $150,000 wardrobe are more important.)

Mr. Obama's winning platform can be boiled down to one word: Change. Why?

I have never been so afraid for my country and for my children as I am now.

This man campaigned on bringing people together, something he has never, ever done in his professional life. In my assessment, Obama will divide us along philosophical lines, push us apart, and then try to realign the pieces into a new and different power structure. Change is indeed coming. And when it comes, you will never see the same nation again.

And that is only the beginning..

As a serious student of history, I thought I would never come to experience what the ordinary, moral German must have felt in the mid-1930s In those times, the "savior" was a former smooth-talking rabble-rouser from the streets, about whom the average German knew next to nothing. What they should have known was that he was associated with groups that shouted, shoved, and pushed around people with whom they disagreed; he edged his way onto the political stage through great oratory. Conservative "losers" read it right now.

And there were the promises. Economic times were tough, people were losing jobs, and he was a great speaker. And he smiled and frowned and waved a lot. And people, even newspapers, were afraid to speak out for fear that his "brown shirts" would bully and beat them into submission. Which they did - regularly. And then, he was duly elected to office, while a full-throttled economic crisis bloomed at hand - the Great Depression. Slowly, but surely he seized the controls of government power, person by person, department by department, bureaucracy by bureaucracy. The children of German citizens were at first, encouraged to join a Youth Movement in his name where they were taught exactly what to think. Later, they were required to do so. No Jews of course,

How did he get people on his side? He did it by promising jobs to the jobless, money to the money-less, and rewards for the military-industrial complex. He did it by indoctrinating the children, advocating gun control, health care for all, better wages, better jobs, and promising to re-instill pride once again in the country, across Europe , and across the world. He did it with a compliant media - did you know that? And he did this all in the name of justice and .... . ... change. And the people surely got what they voted for.

If you think I am exaggerating, look it up. It's all there in the history books.

So read your history books. Many people of conscience objected in 1933 and were shouted down, called names, laughed at, and ridiculed. When Winston Churchill pointed out the obvious in the late 1930s while seated in the House of Lords in England (he was not yet Prime Minister), he was booed into his seat and called a crazy troublemaker. He was right, though. And the world came to regret that he was not listened to.

Do not forget that Germany was the most educated, the most cultured country in Europe . It was full of music, art, museums, hospitals, laboratories, and universities. And yet, in less than six years (a shorter time span than just two terms of the U. S. presidency) it was rounding up its own citizens, killing others, abrogating its laws, turning children against parents, and neighbors against neighbors.. All with the best of intentions, of course.. The road to Hell is paved with them.

As a practical thinker, one not overly prone to emotional decisions, I have a choice: I can either believe what the objective pieces of evidence tell me (even if they make me cringe with disgust); I can believe what history is shouting to me from across the chasm of seven decades; or I can hope I am wrong by closing my eyes, having another latte, and ignoring what is transpiring around me..

I choose to believe the evidence. No doubt some people will scoff at me, others laugh, or think I am foolish, naive, or both. To some degree, perhaps I am. But I have never been afraid to look people in the eye and tell them exactly what I believe-and why I believe it.

I pray I am wrong. I do not think I am. Perhaps the only hope is our vote in the next elections.

David Kaiser
Jamestown , Rhode Island
United States

By passing this along, perhaps it will help to begin the awakening of America as to where we are headed.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

drat that's a long way of saying "The Nazis were National socialists like Barry Hussein"

Not to mention the real David Kaiser already spoke out on this 2 years ago
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/proportions.asp

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Amused to Death posted:

drat that's a long way of saying "The Nazis were National socialists like Barry Hussein"

Thank god. History PhDs from Ivy-league universities may be representatives of the establishment and awful for that reason, but I haven't seen many/any of them go off the Glenn Beck deep end. Glad to see he isn't.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

Thanks for that, now to put forth a rebuttal:

Might want to re-email everyone because that historian didn’t actually write that homophobic, islamophobic rant. Also it’s like three years old, and hindsight bears out the fact that Obama isn’t some kind of Marxist radical (if only he were!) but just another center-right corporatist stooge. Hope this helps!

Rich

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

What insane bizarro-United States of America do these people live in where kids are no longer taught about the Declaration of Independence or Constitution? My 11 year-old just learned about both last year in 4th grade, and I suspect he'll get more in depth coverage of each in middle school and high school in years to come.

It just blows my mind the way things like this, or that kids no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance at school, continue to get passed around despite being the complete opposite of reality. I mean, I can kind of get the whole, there are terrorists who are muslims, so you can't trust muslims. It may be completely stupid but at least they're loving around with something that has a tiny sliver of reality in it. And I think part of the problem is that these kinds of chain emails get internalized. The "facts" of them are eventually forgotten, but the rage towards "liberals" or the government remain.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Essentially people like to be riled up I think. They want an excuse to be unhappy without things actually being that bad, like, cultural revolution bad. It's a more extreme version of "kids these days", or well I guess it's the same thing. Having something to be indignant about makes you feel superior to today's generation, even if you have to make it up.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Sarion posted:

What insane bizarro-United States of America do these people live in where kids are no longer taught about the Declaration of Independence or Constitution? My 11 year-old just learned about both last year in 4th grade, and I suspect he'll get more in depth coverage of each in middle school and high school in years to come.

Texas :v:

Seriously though, didn't even Virginia flip the poo poo at the change in Texas school books because they took Thomas Jefferson out of it. I mean how the gently caress do you teach the deceleration of independence a good part of all early American history without mentioning Jefferson. They really don't like his views on church and state, or keeping a weak military I guess.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Sock on a Fish posted:

Flowers posted:

Sarion posted:

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I'll remember this argument for the future. It seems obvious now.

Though I decided not to respond to her again because she's already upset enough about it that her friend sent me an angry message (I did not "reply all" to the original message so I'm assuming she told them what I said and gave them my address?) I tried responding as delicately as possible before but apparently she isn't remotely ready to defend the terrible poo poo she sends people.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sarion posted:

It just blows my mind the way things like this, or that kids no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance at school, continue to get passed around despite being the complete opposite of reality. I mean, I can kind of get the whole, there are terrorists who are muslims, so you can't trust muslims. It may be completely stupid but at least they're loving around with something that has a tiny sliver of reality in it. And I think part of the problem is that these kinds of chain emails get internalized. The "facts" of them are eventually forgotten, but the rage towards "liberals" or the government remain.

Yes it is very interesting. Now think to yourself what position a person must be in to: not have gone to school recently enough to know what they're saying is completely wrong, and do not have kids of their own to tell them what goes in schools right now...

They are also what some would call "likely voters."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So the person who emailed me the crazy many year old FW: at least had the decency to email everyone she forwarded that tripe to the snopes link given to me in this thread. So maybe there's hope for America afterall! :v:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

XyloJW posted:

Yeah, I was pretty sure it's a legit story. Basically, I was trying to think of a tactful way to point out that it is far more common for the opposite to happen but that it rarely makes national news.

Thanks for providing the perfect example of it happening and not being picked up by Breitbart and Free Republic and The Blaze.

Here's another from my town just last month. rear end in a top hat skinhead stabs a black guy in the head because he dared rap on the sidewalk with a white guy.

Huge Liability posted:

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I'll remember this argument for the future. It seems obvious now.

This has been well-covered but I'll add a few thoughts on this. I am adopted too, and to say it's good my birth mother didn't have access to abortions is also to say it's good when teenagers gently caress indiscriminately and without birth control - because otherwise I wouldn't exist! That's a load of poo poo. How many siblings am I missing out on because she wised up after me?

Coming at this from the perspective of people that already exist (ie. her or myself) is totally absurd, because the actual choice is made before the potential person exists. Any potential child would become a beloved one, so by this argument literally every possible chance to realize that potential MUST be taken, or your beloved potential child wouldn't exist.

One final thought experiment/story in this vein (and if she's already upset, this one would probably blow her mind). I'm going to assume your high school acquaintance happens to be named Jessica Townsend:

Some poo poo I just made up posted:

----------------------
September, 2018
----------------------

Jessica Townsend has a son named Joseph.

Joey just turned six years old, and he's about the cutest thing on the planet. He's inherited the empathy and sweet disposition of his mother. She just decided he was old enough for a puppy and so got him one for his birthday; he loves to spend every afternoon cuddled up with Marley (she couldn't talk him out of the name) on the couch as he watches after-school cartoons. He's inherited the cleverness and insight of his father, is excelling in first grade, and at the latest parent-teacher conference his teacher called him a dream.

Joey doesn't realize it, but his mom wasn't really in the best position to take care of a child when he came along. At first, she wasn't sure she even wanted him, but within days of first holding him in her arms, all her resentment vanished and she started working hard to make sure their lives ran smoothly. To everyone else, it looks like Jessica's two jobs are just enough to make the rent, eat, and cover day care when Joey's grandparents can't watch him (she tells people a small raise in her primary job even gave her enough to get Marley) - but secretly her credit card bills are snowballing and she's concerned about the future. Regardless, she's going to do her damnedest to make sure Joey has what he needs to enjoy his childhood, succeed in school, go to college, and have the great career she never had a chance at.

One evening (one of those two weekdays that she doesn't work her part-time second job, and is instead able to get the household chores done early and spend some time with her son in the evening) she is laying on Joey's bed, reading him a story as he goes to sleep. It's one of his favorite books, The Giving Tree. As she reads it, Joey's right arm hugging her close and his head nestled beneath her chin, tears begin to form in her eyes. She knows she is the tree, and every time she reads it she wonders if she can hold out, if she will still have anything to give tomorrow, or the week after that, or the month after that.

Joey glances up at her and, for the first time, understands what he sees in his mother's face as she reads aloud, forcing her voice to be smooth and strong. His mom was always so proud of his empathy and his insight.

"Mom?" He asked softly.

She paused her reading and glanced down to see him looking up at her. "Yes?"

"Are you happy you have me?"

For a moment she couldn't speak. "Yes," she finally croaked out. Then, "Joey, I love you more than anything in the world. I could never live without you, and I am so happy I have you that my heart wants to burst! I would never have it any other way."

Every word was utterly, deeply true.

----------------------
Epilogue
----------------------

My name is Tyler Hyland. You might know me by another name, the name the newspapers gave me before society gave me thirteen consecutive sentences of 15 years in prison.

On December 24, 2011, at about 10:45 PM, I raped Number Eight: Jessica Townsend.

And the moral of the story is, of course, boy am I glad Mommy got raped!

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
He's inherited the cleverness and insight of his father

This is sort of gruesome after rereading the story.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pfirti86 posted:

Sort of? It's the poo poo Shamalyan would write if he talked with Stephen King.

I like how all the resentment in Mommy vanished after a few days of holding the kid.

Also, in the Giving Tree, didn't the shithead person chop the tree down to its very bones and still expected more from it? That isn't quite a good image either. At least a chestburster kills you quick and you don't remember the facehugger.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Pfirti86 posted:

Aww, Joey inherited empathy from his mother, so he will use his powers for good rather than evil.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I like how all the resentment in Mommy vanished after a few days of holding the kid.

Hey, it was composed in a web browser, you want high literature with fancy character development, try a real book. :D

It gets the point across, which is that you can't proclaim the righteousness of some particular action simply because you our your loved ones wouldn't have existed otherwise; and conversely you can't claim doing something to stop that course of events before they happen is wrong, either (or every woman facing a potential rapist should just lay down and take it for the sake of her resultant offspring). Or maybe it didn't... Heh.

The Giving Tree certainly has a lot of interpretations (sorry, lovely Wikipedia link) and stirs up a lot of different feelings in people. That's one of the reasons I think it's so awesome, but that's getting beyond the scope of the thread.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Huge Liability posted:

Here's what I ended up responding with:

NatasDog posted:

Based on my understanding of this, shouldn't that mean birth control be made illegal too? I mean, that's just a premeditated abortion when you really think about it.

What about babies conceived as a result of rape or incest, should they also be included despite the likely lack of the father ever being a part of the child's life? I guess it's fate though.

Oh god, just think of the millions of potential children lost every time a man masturbates; quite horrifying.

I don't know, I feel circumstance plays a far larger role in the decision making process behind a woman making this choice, and I don't see how anyone could objectively state that there's never a valid reason for making that decision. Based on that assumption I find it hard to take any stance against a woman's right to choose, nor would I hold them in any sort of contempt for making that choice.

This whole chain letter just feels like a huge guilt trip against women who are already making what is most likely the toughest choice they'll ever make in their life, and I find it to be in poor taste. I mean it's putting words into the mouth of a fetus that has never even really developed the ability to breathe on its own yet let alone have an independent thought, how realistic is that?
I tried to be an non-confrontational as possible while (hopefully) invoking them to use some critical thought on this. It's my cousin's wife, and she's a really nice person. It's odd because she's nonreligious for the most part, though she got into Bhuddism when she was in Korea for two years.

I'm sure she'll take it the wrong way or delete her post, which is a shame because I enjoy engaging in dialog on these issues. It's the only way you can ever really grow as a human being in my opinion, but so many people are afraid to explore their beliefs.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

NatasDog posted:

I enjoy engaging in dialog on these issues. It's the only way you can ever really grow as a human being in my opinion, but so many people are afraid to explore their beliefs.

I agree with wanting to engage in dialog on those kinds of issues. However, my experience has been that most people make those kinds of posts on Facebook because they're looking to have their views reaffirmed by the approval of their peers. And when you disagree, they become very upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Sarion posted:

I agree with wanting to engage in dialog on those kinds of issues. However, my experience has been that most people make those kinds of posts on Facebook because they're looking to have their views reaffirmed by the approval of their peers. And when you disagree, they become very upset.

Yeah, but honestly it doesn't matter the forum when dealing with 'feelings' based issues like this. I find it better to try and go for the outside chance that they might actually apply some critical thought than to not try at all. It can get disheartening sometimes though, especially when it's people you care about.

I've just gotten to the point where I'd rather be up front than just shake my head silently in disapproval. I think a lot of that comes from the self confidence that I gained by actively questioning my own beliefs and coming to my own (usually wildly different) conclusions. I enjoy challenging others to do the same, even if they take it as me being an rear end in a top hat.