Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Fats posted:

Is it that bad? I'm considering either the 13" Pro or the 13" Air, but I figured the slightly higher clock speed on the Pro would be nice since I'll be using Matlab and other mildly intensive simulation stuff. I'd get the 15", but I'm already stretching my budget on the 13". :(
I went with a 13" MBP over the 13" Air, and haven't regretted it one bit. I also though swapped out the stock 5400 RPM drive and 4 GB of RAM for a 7200 RPM drive (planning to go to a SSD at some point) and 8 GB of RAM. I use MATLAB as well, plus the likes of ArcGIS, AutoCAD, etc.

The "bulkiness" people talk about is literally a 1.5 lb difference between the two systems... Personally I like knowing that simply catching the display with a piece of clothing isn't going to send it flying to the floor.

JP Money posted:

Honestly it'll probably even out. Opening programs and general usage on the Air are so much faster than the pro that it's unfair. The pro might win out in actual processor ability and such but if you aren't doing crazy intense calculations matlab is going to run just fine on the air, especially with the new i5's and 4gb's of ram. The cd drive is a moot point at this step and most everywhere has good wireless these days so ethernet isn't really a missed feature and can be added with a dongle.

I think once you use an air for a while the pro will seem incredibly bulky as well. At least it does to me. The airs make the 13in pro feel like the old plastic MacBooks. I tried one in store a few weeks ago and it beach balled on some programs opening and generally took a while compared to the air. It's really true when people say that SSD's spoil you.
That's why you throw an SSD into the MBP! Then it comes down to the 13" MBA's lighter weight and higher resolution (but otherwise inferior) screen to the 13" MBP's faster processor and ability to be upgraded to twice as much RAM as the MBA/etc.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I would've added that in but he already said he's stretching his budget. If you're going to dump in a SSD and ram you're looking at probably 150 at least for a reasonable SSD and maybe 50 - 80 dollars for ram (I'd guess closer to 50 but I'm out of the loop on purchasing that). Not to mention buying an enclosure if he plans on doing away with the optibay. With shipping and such you're looking at probably 225 bucks or more depending on RAM / SSD choice plus 100 for an optibay (or less for the ebay type alternatives). It's probably easier then to just get the air which isn't 225 (or 325+) dollars more expensive.

It's definitely true that once you upgrade the 13in pro with a SSD and RAM it's a pretty sweet rear end machine though and if he doesn't mind the added bulk and extra work it's the way to go for pure power.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

JP Money posted:

I would've added that in but he already said he's stretching his budget. If you're going to dump in a SSD and ram you're looking at probably 150 at least for a reasonable SSD and maybe 50 - 80 dollars for ram (I'd guess closer to 50 but I'm out of the loop on purchasing that). Not to mention buying an enclosure if he plans on doing away with the optibay. With shipping and such you're looking at probably 225 bucks or more depending on RAM / SSD choice plus 100 for an optibay (or less for the ebay type alternatives). It's probably easier then to just get the air which isn't 225 (or 325+) dollars more expensive.

It's definitely true that once you upgrade the 13in pro with a SSD and RAM it's a pretty sweet rear end machine though and if he doesn't mind the added bulk and extra work it's the way to go for pure power.
Well he could always wait too though on getting the SSD, and the optibay isn't necessary if he just did a pure swap at some point of an aftermarket SSD in place of the stock HDD. He wouldn't get default TRIM support, but TRIM enabler takes care of that anyway... As for RAM, 8 GB of DDR3 1333 has been going for around $30-35 pretty much every week.

He could also go with a refurb 13" Pro. A current-generation 128 GB SSD such as the M4 can pretty much be had now for $160-170, and with the RAM upgrade you're talking about $1300 total for the upgraded 13" MBP, so pretty much equal in cost to the 13" MBP but a good bit more performance.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think the importance of the extra screen real estate on the Air should be understated - it really is night and day as far as usability goes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

x-virge posted:

For everyone who was getting excited about that Belkin Thunderbolt Dock the other day (I know I was):

Belkin Statement Regarding New Thunderbolt Express Dock:
That should be enough time to implement USB 3 :colbert;

movax posted:

I think Apple will wait for Ivy Bridge before releasing new models, I can't think of anything else they could refresh to make it warrant a whole new release. GPU maybe?
Redesign is the only thing that I can think of for right now, it'd be similar to the unibody release (short cycle, minor spec bump), but I doubt they'd release something that major this year cause it'd just get overshadowed by the iPhone.

Jolan posted:

After experimenting a bit more: a dark movie in a completely dark room with full screen brightness: doable. Working with medical scan images (usually lots of black) while writing a report in Word and having a light on so I can read my physical notes: very annoying. Constantly switching over the brightness from full to half when I'm tabbing between images and Word sort of helps, but it's a really dumb solution. I'm hoping something else comes up.

I don't know if it's because of the glossy front or not, but I must say this monitor displays shades of grey (and I guess by extension other colours as well) beautifully. Small variations in mass density in scans show up much clearer on this screen than on other I've worked with. Not sure if that'll be enough for me to offset the glare issues, 'though.
Glossy + dark is kind of the killer there, not really sure what you can do about it beyond taking off the front glass as suggested or perhaps just getting another screen entirely for the medical scans (and switching to a 21" iMac to offset the cost).

As for the grey/color quality you're seeing most of it is probably the panel itself, glossy helps a bit for me but the panel is the main quality indicator...which may be a problem budget wise with my second screen suggestion if you want a 27-30" (high res) screen for the images, those tend to run around $1000. I think once you move down to 1920x1080 (or 1200) 24"ish, there's a significant price drop though, just watch out for the massive abundance of lovely screens in that size.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

japtor posted:

I think once you move down to 1920x1080 (or 1200) 24"ish, there's a significant price drop though, just watch out for the massive abundance of lovely screens in that size.

You really can't go wrong with the IPS Dell models, the only real complaint I've heard is they have TOO MUCH anti-glare coating (which sounds like it won't be an issue here).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dissss posted:

You really can't go wrong with the IPS Dell models, the only real complaint I've heard is they have TOO MUCH anti-glare coating (which sounds like it won't be an issue here).

HP's new releases should be looked at, too. Reasonable price, billion color reproduction, LED backlighting, etc.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

japtor posted:

Redesign is the only thing that I can think of for right now, it'd be similar to the unibody release (short cycle, minor spec bump), but I doubt they'd release something that major this year cause it'd just get overshadowed by the iPhone.

IPS screens through their entire lineup (or at least an option) would be wonderful and is so long overdue. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who has IPS display laptops? The only one I can think of is the Thinkpad X220

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty much just Lenovo. I think HP had an option for it on their Envy line at one point, though I'm not sure if they still do. I wouldn't be surprised is Dell offered a portable workstation with it as well.

IPS on laptops is mostly restricted to content creation machines, and I guess Apple just figures their laptop displays are good enough since anyone serious about image quality will have a monitor anyway.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

That, HP offers 'DreamColor' on the Envy I think, and it's an option on the Precisions.

I know there was some hope going around that we could get some obnoxious Retina screens for our laptops which would be amazing :circlefap:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

dissss posted:

I don't think the importance of the extra screen real estate on the Air should be understated - it really is night and day as far as usability goes.

This is true, though I think it's primarily an issue if someone doesn't have an external monitor (which admittedly is most probably). I connect my 13" MBP to a 24" 1920x1200 display when at home and doing work on it. Otherwise I find its display resolution acceptable for on-the-go, quick work.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Is Apple.com the best place to buy your Apple hardware? Or the retail store? Are there other retailers who have good sales, I guess is what I'm asking.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
What do you mean by "hardware"? Traditionally there are no sales on any Apple products.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple is the only place you can configure it with better video cards/processors on a few models. Otherwise I stick to Amazon, Macmall, Macconnection because they don't charge tax.

Apple's site also sell refurbished models (good as new, same warranty) for lower prices. I got a 2010 MBP for about 30% off.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mu Zeta posted:

Otherwise I stick to Amazon, Macmall, Macconnection because they don't charge tax.

Maybe not in your state, pal.

Amazon posted:

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax.

hunter something something posted:

Is Apple.com the best place to buy your Apple hardware? Or the retail store?

My experience and opinion is that if you buy from a retail store, it's much easier to deal with post-sales issues with them.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 25, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh yeah, California is about to be added to that list so my love affair with Amazon will be over :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really, really wanted the 13" Air for the high-res screen alone. I already had an Intel 320 160GB SSD, and bought 8GB of RAM in a NewEgg deal for $30 or something.

But Microcenter has the 13" MBP for $999, I couldn't resist the $299 price difference. And there was an open-box model so I ended up with one for $899.

Now I bought a used 11" Air, but it's pretty pointless having two computers. Especially laptops.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Yeah, if the 13" MBP had the higher resolution screen it wouldn't even be a question for me. As it stands, I'm going to go to the campus bookstore tomorrow and play with both of them, but I'll probably end up getting the Air.

Having yet to handle one in person, how sturdy are the Airs? I'll probably get a padded sleeve of some sort, but I'm a little afraid of my textbooks pushing the screen into the keyboard while in my bag or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fats posted:

Yeah, if the 13" MBP had the higher resolution screen it wouldn't even be a question for me. As it stands, I'm going to go to the campus bookstore tomorrow and play with both of them, but I'll probably end up getting the Air.

Having yet to handle one in person, how sturdy are the Airs? I'll probably get a padded sleeve of some sort, but I'm a little afraid of my textbooks pushing the screen into the keyboard while in my bag or something.

I would keep any Apple laptop in a sleeve of some sort because you're going to get dings, scratches, and scuffs in it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh yeah, California is about to be added to that list so my love affair with Amazon will be over :(

Amazon reached an agreement with CA to not charge tax for at least a year.

Also, since they killed off their affiliates in the state they aren't required to collect tax at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nooooooooooo

quote:

Under the deal, the retailing giant will rekindle its relationship with its California affiliates and has promised to create at least 10,000 full-time jobs and hire 25,000 seasonal employees in the state by the end of 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/23/jerry-brown-amazon-tax-compromise_n_978287.html

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I would keep any Apple laptop in a sleeve of some sort because you're going to get dings, scratches, and scuffs in it.

I always go with the Incase sleeves which are stocked at any Apple retail store. They're a bit pricy but the absolute best.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I'm looking for a little advice on buying a used Mac laptop. I plan on replacing/retiring my 2006 Blackbook, but I don't have much money to do so--not enough for a new or refurbished 2011 MBP or an Air (which would be ideal). My plan is to buy an older used 13 MBP and put in a SSD for the speedboost. What would be the best model to try to buy that would last at least the next 2-3 years or so? I don't mind using a Core 2 Duo machine if it means I can get it fairly inexpensively. I don't want to spend more than $700-800, pref $500-600. Also, is ebay the best place to look, or are there other options I'm unaware of? Tia.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yoyomama posted:

I'm looking for a little advice on buying a used Mac laptop. I plan on replacing/retiring my 2006 Blackbook, but I don't have much money to do so--not enough for a new or refurbished 2011 MBP or an Air (which would be ideal). My plan is to buy an older used 13 MBP and put in a SSD for the speedboost. What would be the best model to try to buy that would last at least the next 2-3 years or so? I don't mind using a Core 2 Duo machine if it means I can get it fairly inexpensively. I don't want to spend more than $700-800, pref $500-600. Also, is ebay the best place to look, or are there other options I'm unaware of? Tia.

Why not SA-Mart? There's always some cheap, good looking laptops for sale in there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

yoyomama posted:

I'm looking for a little advice on buying a used Mac laptop.

Check out SA-Mart. Why not just stick an SSD in your current one?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably wants a sexier Aluminum model

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks guys I'll check out SAMart and see what I get. I didn't see anything when I just looked, but I'm in no rush (like to get it before the holidays when I'll be writing my thesis). And I was thinking about getting an SSD for this machine, and I probably will, since I'll be cloning the drive and putting it in the new laptop anyway. Would it really make much of a difference for such an old machine?

Edit: And yeah, an alum unibody would be nice, but people seem to like the Blackbook's look so eh.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably wants a sexier Aluminum model
Aluminum unibodies go through SA-Mart all the time. I just bought another like 2 weeks ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

yoyomama posted:

Would it really make much of a difference for such an old machine?

Yup.

What CPU does your current machine have? I'm not sure I'd dump a machine to just go up a couple megahertz. Maybe if you have an old one and need the better graphics or more RAM capability, or want the much better battery in the newer machines.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I have a 2 GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM, GMA 950. I'd like to be able to have at least 4GB of RAM. It's a bit sluggish and I'm having some trouble watching Youtube vids at this point (even after opening it up and cleaning out all the dust), so I figured it may be time to upgrade. That said, I'll try getting an SSD first and see what happens.

I saw a unibody in SA Mart just now, but its a bit too expensive for me, but I'm sure the right one will come along eventually.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

yoyomama posted:

I have a 2 GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM, GMA 950. I'd like to be able to have at least 4GB of RAM. It's a bit sluggish and I'm having some trouble watching Youtube vids at this point (even after opening it up and cleaning out all the dust), so I figured it may be time to upgrade. That said, I'll try getting an SSD first and see what happens.

I saw a unibody in SA Mart just now, but its a bit too expensive for me, but I'm sure the right one will come along eventually.

You should be able to snag a 2010 2.4 C2D for $700

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Where's my best bet to get a replacement charger for a macbook pro? Eighty dollars from the apple store is frankly retarded.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Sounds good. I'll need to save up a little bit more, but that's doable by the end of the year. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Where's my best bet to get a replacement charger for a macbook pro? Eighty dollars from the apple store is frankly retarded.

The general consensus will be to pony up the $80 because anything cheaper that you find is gonna suck serious poo poo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

1997 posted:

The general consensus will be to pony up the $80 because anything cheaper that you find is gonna suck serious poo poo.

Seriously? That's ridiculous.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

$80 is just how much AC adapters cost, Lenovo charges even more for the Thinkpads.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Welp for that much would be better off just selling and buying a whole new laptop. Time to get to backingup/wiping!
Edit:down/sidegrading to an Air probably so this'll actually net me a profit.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

1997 posted:

I've never seen a third-party MagSafe adaptor, pretty sure Apple has patents that preclude it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Lazyhound posted:

I've never seen a third-party MagSafe adaptor, pretty sure Apple has patents that preclude it.

Right before reading his post I ran across this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XCX7WA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1TP2RCKS1Y35B