Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Deadpool posted:

After Hickman's great Thor mini this really excites me. Can't wait to see it.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before Tony iss in a new more Ultimate-y armor instead of just being in a tracing of the armorr from the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dacap posted:

Awww yeah, looks like we're getting badass Hammer-Axe Thor back!

Ultimate Executioner, maybe?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I posted:

No, definitely Thor getting his stuff back. After Hickman's mini managed to make Ultimate Thor's backstory clear for the first time I'm glad they're going this way. My guess is something's going to cause him to be depowered again and he'll need to go back to this suit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

I posted:

Ultimate Thunderstrike.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Maybe only his hands have Spider-Sense.

He has carpal tunnel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy gently caress Ultimates #2 was incredible. :aaaaa:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
It's exactly the kind of extremely ballsy moves you read the Ultimate U comics for, and it was amazingly well-handled. From this and the teaser, I can already tell #3 is gonna be loving ace.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElNarez posted:

It's exactly the kind of extremely ballsy moves you read the Ultimate U comics for, and it was amazingly well-handled. From this and the teaser, I can already tell #3 is gonna be loving ace.

I hate you people who can get the comics the day they come out. :doom:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

prefect posted:

I hate you people who can get the comics the day they come out. :doom:

Same day as print digital :woop:

God bless, Comixology

Well, just bless now I suppose.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same day as print digital :woop:

God bless, Comixology

Well, just bless now I suppose.

I wish they would allow Marvel comics on the Comixology apps for Android. :( This is the only thing holding me back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I wish they would allow Marvel comics on the Comixology apps for Android. :( This is the only thing holding me back.

Can't you finangle a workaround? Using some jimcrackery?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lurdiak posted:

Can't you finangle a workaround? Using some jimcrackery?

Not any that I'm aware of.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
I'm just getting into the Ultimate titles with the relaunch, and I've got a question. The Maker is supposed to be Reed Richards, right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Motherfuck I was just about to come here and say this.

Black Lighter posted:

I'm just getting into the Ultimate titles with the relaunch, and I've got a question. The Maker is supposed to be Reed Richards, right?

Yeah. It's not a spoiler, either, it's in U. Fallout. Reed built the city.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Seriously. That may have been one of the best issues of a comic I've read in a long time. It may be a bit premature, but I didn't think Hickman would actually be able to top his FF stuff, and he just flew right over it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dickeye posted:

Motherfuck I was just about to come here and say this.

I loving loved the first few panels where literally a thousand years passed explaining what's happening at the dome; The growth, the "evolution" within. It reminded me of a I think Koran short-novel/manga called Hotel in which we see an AI tell its story that spans millions of years with gaps of hundreds of thousand of years between pages and sometimes panels.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Since no one's talking about Ultimate Spider-Man #2 I guess I picked the wrong Ultimates title this week :smith:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

Since no one's talking about Ultimate Spider-Man #2 I guess I picked the wrong Ultimates title this week :smith:

I thought it was yet another mediocre issue. Bendis seemed to be writing Miles the same way he wrote Peter. I just can't stand the dialogue anymore. The father's speech was ok, but felt forced and I felt it didn't have the impact it should have had. It almost seems like it was put in there so in an issue or two Bendis will kill the dad and then we have our Uncle Ben moment.

It's probably coming off that I'm being excessively harsh on it. It's not a bad comic it just doesn't do anything for me, at all.

Cannibalboy
Aug 8, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

I was sad to see what happened to Peter, but I actually really liked Ultimate Spider-Man 2. We have the classic "oh no, I'm a freak." conversation with a trusted friend, we've got the Uncle Ben-esque speech about responsibility, and the new wonder of discovering who the underlying character of Spider-Man is.

As for Ultimates 2, amazing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Cannibalboy posted:

I was sad to see what happened to Peter, but I actually really liked Ultimate Spider-Man 2. We have the classic "oh no, I'm a freak." conversation with a trusted friend, we've got the Uncle Ben-esque speech about responsibility, and the new wonder of discovering who the underlying character of Spider-Man is.

As for Ultimates 2, amazing.

I think this is actually a more succinct way of describing why I don't like it that much. It's all been done before, and better. By the same writer no less.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bluetooth human being posted:

I thought it was yet another mediocre issue. Bendis seemed to be writing Miles the same way he wrote Peter. I just can't stand the dialogue anymore. The father's speech was ok, but felt forced and I felt it didn't have the impact it should have had. It almost seems like it was put in there so in an issue or two Bendis will kill the dad and then we have our Uncle Ben moment.

It's probably coming off that I'm being excessively harsh on it. It's not a bad comic it just doesn't do anything for me, at all.

Except that Miles's Uncle Ben moment is Peter dying. Seriously, the big difference between Miles and Peter is that where Peter was mostly driven by guilt over what happened to Uncle Ben, Miles is (theoretically) going to do it because he can, and because someone has to.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 28, 2011

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.
Hickman isn't afraid to take ideas that failed in other comics, repurpose them, and make them super loving awesome. I'm so excited for Ultimates #3.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought both Ultimates and Spider-Man were both amazing this week. Add that into a really good Hawkeye mini and a great start on X-Men and it looks like the Ultimate Universe is finally back to being what it should be. I'm really excited about the future of all these titles.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Any other week in the last few years and Ultimate Spider-Man #2 would have been one the best Ultimate issues out there, it just happens that Hickman's probably in the middle of the best Ultimate Universe story yet told.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Miles really is just a Peter who is black and a couple of years younger. The rest of the book is pretty good (even though the timeline is a bit weird due to Norman's involvement).

I was a bit lost on Ultimates #2. Probably should read it again. Reed is building up to something big.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Miles really is just a Peter who is black and a couple of years younger. The rest of the book is pretty good (even though the timeline is a bit weird due to Norman's involvement).

I was a bit lost on Ultimates #2. Probably should read it again. Reed is building up to something big.

Always disregard the timeline when reading a Bendis written Ultimate book. Bendis does, so why not you too?

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.

notthegoatseguy posted:

He talks the same way Peter does, that bothers me. The whole "a mutant drowned this city, you don't get to be a mutant here" doesn't sound like something a 13-year old would say.

"Well, he's been through a lot of poo poo and is a lot more mature than most 13-year olds"

Then why make him 13? If he just acts like all of Bendis's little mini-adults for the next 20 issues, then there will be no point to it.

invalid user fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 28, 2011

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Ultimates 2 was amazing. That was a drat epic book.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

invalid user posted:

He talks the same way Peter does, that bothers me.

Exactly. It really shows here. it showed in Fallout too, with him making quips just like Peter.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The best part of ignoring the timeline in a Bendis book is that you ignore the fact that the time skips back and forth when Miles and his friend are tweeting/texting.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Exactly. It really shows here. it showed in Fallout too, with him making quips just like Peter.

Maybe the quips are a spider power, did you ever think about that?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ultimate Thunderstrike.
Sounds good, as long as they don't ruin the character by turning him into a total putz.

Dickeye posted:

Reed built the city.
On rock and roll?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Flameingblack posted:

I thought it was really good and was actually fairly disappointed with Ultimates.

He's pretty much a new Peter, sure, but it's a really solid execution of an origin story in a month where I've read a whole bunch of really poorly executed origin stories or #1s or reboots or whatever.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Spider-Man and Ultimates were both fantastic this week, but Ultimates went above and beyond. I loving love the status quo that's being set up in both comics. Excited for the future.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Spiderdrake posted:

He's pretty much a new Peter

and it's better than just being the same Peter from 616, which is what ultimate spider-man has always been

from what I can tell, the biggest differences in the ultimate book was that Gwen Stacey didn't die (one of the most important events in comic book history) and Norman Osborn was some kinda extreme 90's monster man. and though in hindsight I'm sure it was written much better this time around, I just couldn't get interested in more of the same regurgitated (cartoons, tv show, movies) Peter Parker stories

this new spider-man book is at least an attempt to put a different spin on the character, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit

let's face it. If he wasn't at least a little similar to Parker in personality he couldn't properly fill his shoes

Dick Grayson had to bring the grimdark
Bucky had to hero up
and Miles will have to be tragically humorous

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity
I wish people would get over Norman being alive, I mean the first page inside the cover of USM #2 says blatantly 'This takes place before peter dies.'.

Nobody reads the 'previously in...' page?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Ultimates 2 was indeed really interesting. But I feel I've seen too many Asgardian last stands to make this really hit home. I'm also a bit curious as to why they decided to attack as they did in the first place.

Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

Goddamn, this new Reed is badass.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

this new spider-man book is at least an attempt to put a different spin on the character, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit

let's face it. If he wasn't at least a little similar to Parker in personality he couldn't properly fill his shoes

Dick Grayson had to bring the grimdark
Bucky had to hero up
and Miles will have to be tragically humorous

One difference, though, is that Peter Parker is dead. So there can't be a retaking of the mantle like in all the other legacy hero stories.

I HOPE Bendis retains enough control over the title to not allow someone stupid to resurrect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
Just chiming in to say holy poo poo Ultimates 2. I think it may be my favorite single issue of anything in the ultimate universe to date.

• Locked thread