Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pet Stain
Dec 29, 2004

Anyone concerned about the epic touch's apparent lack of evdo rev b coupled with the rumors that the Oct 7th network update may include an upgrade to rev b?

See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1272773

It seems like a double whammy of bullshit to new ET owners if Sprint announces both a migration to LTE and and upgrade to evdo b. Seeing as most ET owners are in their 14 day window, I figured people might want to think about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What would EVDO B and LTE do for phones that aren't the EVO 3D or Photon (or possibly the Epic Touch 4G)?

Pet Stain
Dec 29, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

What would EVDO B and LTE do for phones that aren't the EVO 3D or Photon (or possibly the Epic Touch 4G)?

Nothing.

I guess the fear is that with the LTE transition will come the halting of any wimax build-out. Those of us not in a current 4g market were hoping at least we'd get evdo b to ease the pain of having a more or less useless 4g radio.

You can never future proof, but the fact remains that there is a best/worst time to buy a phone to minimize how quickly yours is obsolete. If sprint does indeed move to evdo b and stop the wimax buildout, that makes buying a wimax phone today (if you are not in a wimax market) a bad move. It's doubly bad if you were to buy a ET and it in fact can't do evdo b. This sucks because the ET is leaps and bounds better than both the photon and evo 3D in terms of performance.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

If a phone doesn't have the upgraded radio band, it just goes at whatever one it has. For instance, most sprint dumbpones are evdo rev 0, which is slower/older than rev A. So those phones basically go as fast as the specific radioband allows.

The epic touch will have been out just about a month when the announcement hits. Sucks to say it, but buying a Samsung phone in the first month is at your own risk in my opinion.

I don't think anyone has an exact answer until October 7th.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
It's almost like a TV show here.

Host: It looks like you've been, *points mic at audience*
Crowd: SAM-SUNGED!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Pet Stain posted:

This sucks because the ET is leaps and bounds better than both the photon and evo 3D in terms of performance.

How can it be "leaps and bounds better" than a phone that's extremely fast, has virtually no load time in opening apps and has a very smooth ui experience? It's also a Samsung product and has an 800x480 screen, making it old news.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

big mean giraffe posted:

How can it be "leaps and bounds better" than a phone that's extremely fast, has virtually no load time in opening apps and has a very smooth ui experience? It's also a Samsung product and has an 800x480 screen, making it old news.

Agreed, really don't see how it is that much better than the Evo 3d. Sure you get a bump in benchmarks but, I've yet to find any app. that makes the 3d struggle (emulators included) and I'm even running stock with sense.

Maybe this is just personal preference but I have gotten pretty attached to Qhd. The resolution difference is definitely something that I notice on my friends phones and I can only imagine that things look even comically larger on the ET4G's larger screen. I do agree that from a color standpoint SAMOLED+ looks better than anything else on the market but the 3d's screen looks really good also so I don't see that as being all that big of an advantage. Couple that with the 3d's compatibility with EVDO rev B and it just is not worth the risk of dealing with Samsung (non nexus) devices imho.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

For what it's worth, people with Rev A only will still be helped by the Rev B/LTE rollout, since it would presumably come with a backhaul upgrade as well. That's often the limiting factor, especially on overloaded towers.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

tomguycot posted:

Agreed, really don't see how it is that much better than the Evo 3d. Sure you get a bump in benchmarks but, I've yet to find any app. that makes the 3d struggle (emulators included) and I'm even running stock with sense.
Well, Epic Touch does 1080p capture, for one. I'm assuming processor is making a difference there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtqkkNGOpIQ

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Hdip posted:

Fast burst camera is one of the app's I've been playing around with. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.spritefish.fastburstcamera

Sweet, this app seems pretty good.

Now I just have to figure out why the screen stays on for unknown reasons and if I try to press GPS toggle it crashes and the HTC logo comes back up.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I don't want to get into a pissing war between Evo3D and SGSII owners, but it looks like pretty much all of the SGSII's performance advantage is due to a combination of less onscreen pixels and no Sense 3. CM7 super duper alpha on the 3D is neck and neck with the SGSII, and that's with a horribly buggy alpha kernel.

On the other hand, the SGSII has an objectively nicer form factor. I feel like I'm sidetalkin every time I use my 3D for a phone call.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Leathal posted:

I don't want to get into a pissing war between Evo3D and SGSII owners, but it looks like pretty much all of the SGSII's performance advantage is due to a combination of less onscreen pixels and no Sense 3. CM7 super duper alpha on the 3D is neck and neck with the SGSII, and that's with a horribly buggy alpha kernel.

On the other hand, the SGSII has an objectively nicer form factor. I feel like I'm sidetalkin every time I use my 3D for a phone call.

I'm the same with the 3D and calls. The form factor could be nicer but I rarely make calls anyway.

Can't wait until CM7 is stable and they fix the multitouch issues with most custom kernels. When I tried it, it was so much faster than CleanROM even with all the same apps installed.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Leathal posted:

Agree with you totally.

I have been thinking about jumping to a iPhone 5 if Sprint gets it this fall. I really like all the accessory options out there for iPhone. Still I love rooting Android phones and flashing ROMs. I always hear about people jailbreaking their iPhones. How close is that to rooting? I am a big customization freak when it comes to my phone, and I don't think I would be completely happy if I couldn't customize the iPhone. Also I wish some real information would leak about the Nexus ICS for Sprint. If it is the SGSII body with a 1.5 dual-core, no keyboard, & a HD screen, I am pretty sure I would get it over a iPhone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Agree with you totally.

I have been thinking about jumping to a iPhone 5 if Sprint gets it this fall. I really like all the accessory options out there for iPhone. Still I love rooting Android phones and flashing ROMs. I always hear about people jailbreaking their iPhones. How close is that to rooting? I am a big customization freak when it comes to my phone, and I don't think I would be completely happy if I couldn't customize the iPhone. Also I wish some real information would leak about the Nexus ICS for Sprint. If it is the SGSII body with a 1.5 dual-core, no keyboard, & a HD screen, I am pretty sure I would get it over a iPhone.

I haven't done much jail breaking for the iPhone lately, I got sick of the cat and mouse game. Every drat update apple purposely closes the loophole. Its retarded. I hear right now its easy to unlock, but its not near the same guarantee as Android.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I was originally planning to get my sister a Nexus S for her birthday but now it seems like the Marquee will come out just in time. I don't have much experience with LG phones, are they fairly decent in terms of quality? It's just going to be pretty normal stuff so I don't think performance will be an issue, the specs look pretty similar to the Nexus anyway.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
About to sign up for my first ever modern cell phone (my last phone's most advanced feature was a color screen, literally.. and it died in April) and was thinking the Galaxy S II Epic Touch, and the above conversation makes me wonder: What are the pros/cons of it vs the Evo 3D, and should I wait a couple of weeks because of those updates mentioned?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Golbez posted:

About to sign up for my first ever modern cell phone (my last phone's most advanced feature was a color screen, literally.. and it died in April) and was thinking the Galaxy S II Epic Touch, and the above conversation makes me wonder: What are the pros/cons of it vs the Evo 3D, and should I wait a couple of weeks because of those updates mentioned?

Samsung has a horrible track record with keeping their devices updated, and their hardware has been prone to defects and other issues in the past with many of their devices.

HTC is pretty well known for keeping their devices updated regularly and having nice reliable hardware with few bugs. Sense 3.0 is pretty nice too compared to Touchwiz (though I haven't used it on a SGS2).

I'm biased because I have an EVO 3D but my last Samsung phone (Captivate) was awful until the modding community gave it some much-needed fixes and workarounds. It took Samsung months and months after every other device maker to release Froyo, not to mention Gingerbread.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

roffles posted:

I was originally planning to get my sister a Nexus S for her birthday but now it seems like the Marquee will come out just in time. I don't have much experience with LG phones, are they fairly decent in terms of quality? It's just going to be pretty normal stuff so I don't think performance will be an issue, the specs look pretty similar to the Nexus anyway.

I've had an LG Optimus S since last december and I'm pretty fed up with it. It only very recently (about a year since release?) got updated from 2.2 to 2.3, and the update was so broken and made the phone slower that I think Sprint has since pulled it.

The LG G2X on t-mobile has also dethroned the Samsung Epic for 'worst phone' for a lot of people. I'm pretty wary of LG at this point, though the Optimus is a decent starter smartphone.

Personally I'd rather take a Nexus device, owning a slow, never updated phone has kinda soured me on Android at all at this point. The Marquee looks like it'll have decent specs, but that doesn't actually mean much in the end if they manage to dick over the software side of things.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Agree with you totally.

The only reason to jailbreak an iPhone with iOS 5 is if you really want themes and/or free tethering.

You sacrifice being able to customize your phone in every single way for a guarantee that your phone just works.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Golbez posted:

What are the pros/cons of it vs the Evo 3D, and should I wait a couple of weeks because of those updates mentioned?
Evo 3D Pros:
  • qHD screen
  • ESMR band support (eventually better reception)
  • EVDO rev B support (eventually faster 3G)
  • 3D!

E4GT Pros:
  • SAMOLED+ screen (darn pretty colors)
  • Case aesthetics

As for cons, the 3D is regarded as having inferior reception to the Photon, not really sure how it compares to the SGSII. Also, Samsung's past bugs and poor update history, but both are unknowns on the E4GT at this point.

Krittick posted:

Samsung ..., and their hardware has been prone to defects and other issues in the past with many of their devices.
Really? So there was the Vibrant GPS antenna flaw and the bad batch of flash memory that went into the Bell I9000Ms. I guess the rear end-slow MoviNAND they put into the GSM SGS models could be considered bad hardware, but the performance issues had just as much to do with software too.

Between HTC and Samsung, I think we hear folks complain about HTC's hardware more, like the Evo's crap USB port. But that might be due to there being more HTC device owners around here. In any event, I'd say Samsung's hardware is somewhere between "par" and "pretty good".

The problem, as everyone has mentioned is that Samsung's software sucks sucks sucks. Sucks so bad that it cripples otherwise stellar hardware and makes the entire device experience rear end, so it's hard to tell if the hardware's actually good or not. It seems the SGSII software "sucks less" at this point, but it's still early in the game for the E4GT.

Aphal posted:

The LG G2X on t-mobile has also dethroned the Samsung Epic for 'worst phone' for a lot of people.
I believe the previous "worst phone" was actually the Moment, although the Intercept and/or Transform might've been worse, but less adopted here.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Golbez posted:

It's very likely we'll see an announcement of the Sprint iPhone as well as Ice Cream Sandwich details getting more solid before the 10th of October.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As for cons, the 3D is regarded as having inferior reception to the Photon, not really sure how it compares to the SGSII.

FWIW, I have a friend in Tulsa that just switched to Sprint to grab the SGSII and he's incredibly disappointed with the reception he's getting. I remember having kinda lovely reception at his house the few times I've been there, but he says it's bad everywhere.

kylejack
Feb 28, 2006

I'M AN INSUFFERABLE PEDANTIC POMPOUS RACIST TROLL WHO BELIEVES VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM. I SUFFER FROM TERMINAL WHITE GUILT. PLEASE EXPOSE MY LIES OR BETTER YET JUST IGNORE ME!

fknlo posted:

FWIW, I have a friend in Tulsa that just switched to Sprint to grab the SGSII and he's incredibly disappointed with the reception he's getting. I remember having kinda lovely reception at his house the few times I've been there, but he says it's bad everywhere.
It's not the greatest, and I've dropped a few calls. I still think it's worth it for the specs and the impressive battery life.

Though I would urge people to not put too much credit in the bars. Those are totally arbitrary and vary from phone to phone.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
For anyone who has used both the Motorola Photon and the EVO 3D: Which one is more powerful? I am getting really tired of my Optimus S and it's slow as poo poo performance, and am not sure which of those 2 phones I should upgrade to.

They both have dual core processors, but the 3D's is 200mhz faster. Being that they are different types of processors, I haven't a clue if that actually matters though. Also, does the Photon support ESMR band and EVDO rev B like the 3D? If not that might be the deciding factor right there. If it does support them, I think the Photon has a bit of an edge over the 3D from what I can see of the features.

Is it safe to assume that since the Photon says 10 hours talk time and the 3D says 6 hours talk time that the Photon battery will last a lot longer even when not being used for voice?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I recently purchased two Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5" on woot, and now my buddy with his Evo Shift 4G is insanely jealous over the screen size for media reasons. He wanted to buy the second one to use as a media player and I'd sell it to him, but it seems kind of ridiculous since he has an Evo Shift 4G which basically has all the same capability on a little smaller screen. Instead I'm telling him to just get a larger phone possibly as some kind of trade+cash on craigslist or something, because he gets distracted by shiny things and only wants the Wifi 5" because it's new and cool. But I think a bigger phone would serve him better in the long run.

SO what would you recommend, find an Evo 4G for cheap or go with a 3D or the new Galaxy II Meganame? I'm leaning towards the Evo 4G since it has gingerbread now and he might get it for basically nothing with a good deal. But if it's too far behind the others then I'd want to steer him away.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mistikman posted:

For anyone who has used both the Motorola Photon and the EVO 3D: Which one is more powerful?
Someone else may be able to field this better, but honestly the devices are close enough in specs that I wouldn't use the CPU as the deciding factor. If anything, any perceived sluggishness is likely attributable to differences in their software stacks, custom UIs in particular.

Mistikman posted:

Also, does the Photon support ESMR band and EVDO rev B like the 3D?
According to Google it does support EVDO rev B, but not ESMR. I'm too tired to dig more authoritatively.

Mistikman posted:

Is it safe to assume that since the Photon says 10 hours talk time and the 3D says 6 hours talk time that the Photon battery will last a lot longer even when not being used for voice?
Not really. There's a lot of factors that go into power consumption. The stock batteries themselves are comparable (1730 mAh for 3D, 1700 mAh for Photon). It certainly wouldn't surprise me if the Photon were to edge out the 3D in most usage scenarios, but I'm skeptical of it being a four hour difference.

Other things to consider:

While both devices are "qHD", the Photon is PenTile RGBW LCD. This means it has a third fewer subpixels and approximately half the color resolution of the 3D. Conversely it has a more power efficient screen, and I believe it's supposed to be brighter too.

The big thing is that a lot of folks here dislike the "PenTile effect" on recent Motorola displays. I wouldn't say the 3D has a strictly better screen (aside from it being 3D), but they have different advantages. It's definitely worth looking at both closely in a store, but photo and textual content. See if you're comfortable reading tiny text on the Photon on particular. Wouldn't want to pick it up only to have the screen drive you nuts later.

Also, the 3D is fully, and officially rootable and customizable with a thriving development community. The Photon is also rootable, but requires jumping through some hoops with an unlocked bootloader, which at present loses 4G capability, although I think you can switch back to the locked one and restore it. Either way, if rooting/customization is something you're interested in, I'd say the 3D has a definite advantage there.

Edit: Also, by all accounts the Photon has better radio reception. It's also a world phone and can be used on non-North American GSM/UMTS networks.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Mistikman posted:

For anyone who has used both the Motorola Photon and the EVO 3D: Which one is more powerful? I am getting really tired of my Optimus S and it's slow as poo poo performance, and am not sure which of those 2 phones I should upgrade to.

They both have dual core processors, but the 3D's is 200mhz faster. Being that they are different types of processors, I haven't a clue if that actually matters though. Also, does the Photon support ESMR band and EVDO rev B like the 3D? If not that might be the deciding factor right there. If it does support them, I think the Photon has a bit of an edge over the 3D from what I can see of the features.

The only advantages the Photon has over the EVO 3D is more standard internal flash storage 4GB vs 16GB, but the 3D supports future micro SDXC 64GB - 2TB cards which the Photon doesn't. For all future applications the 3D is faster because it supports NEON (basically SSE/Altivec for ARM) which the Photon doesn't(Tegra 2), but for older apps that don't use NEON the Photon is faster. And last but most importantly the Photon supports GSM so if your business traveler and don't mind paying out the rear end for international roaming the Photon is your phone.

In all other respects the EVO 3D is the better phone, Better future radio support, Unlockable, Better display without the horrors of the Photons Pentile display, Faster 3D GPU, Faster Processor, HTC will probably release updates much faster then motorola, etc.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wankie posted:

HTC will probably release updates much faster then motorola, etc.
Why do you say that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Evo 3D Pros:
  • qHD screen
  • ESMR band support (eventually better reception)
  • EVDO rev B support (eventually faster 3G)
  • 3D!

E4GT Pros:
  • SAMOLED+ screen (darn pretty colors)
  • Case aesthetics

As for cons, the 3D is regarded as having inferior reception to the Photon, not really sure how it compares to the SGSII. Also, Samsung's past bugs and poor update history, but both are unknowns on the E4GT at this point.

Really? So there was the Vibrant GPS antenna flaw and the bad batch of flash memory that went into the Bell I9000Ms. I guess the rear end-slow MoviNAND they put into the GSM SGS models could be considered bad hardware, but the performance issues had just as much to do with software too.

Between HTC and Samsung, I think we hear folks complain about HTC's hardware more, like the Evo's crap USB port. But that might be due to there being more HTC device owners around here. In any event, I'd say Samsung's hardware is somewhere between "par" and "pretty good".

The problem, as everyone has mentioned is that Samsung's software sucks sucks sucks. Sucks so bad that it cripples otherwise stellar hardware and makes the entire device experience rear end, so it's hard to tell if the hardware's actually good or not. It seems the SGSII software "sucks less" at this point, but it's still early in the game for the E4GT.

I believe the previous "worst phone" was actually the Moment, although the Intercept and/or Transform might've been worse, but less adopted here.

I will say the EVO 3D is noticeably poorer reception wise than the EVO (or sprint is really sucking). Signal is mostly noticeable on 4G, and occassionally on cdma (stress occassionally). I wouldn't go as far as saying its a deal break, but my nexus s constantly has better sprint signal. It's weird, but I still recommend the evo 3D. Between the top sprint phones it is still personal preference. I personally will still take the 3D over the photon, whether that makes me a brainwashed HTC scrub is a call for someone else.

Anyone who bought the intercept didn't do their research and deserves any pains that come to them. There is also no worse feeling in the world than when a moment, transform or intercept customer that bought it from me returns asking why they are having problems :(

For the record, the transform was the worst phone (ironically the newest), then intercept, then moment.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 26, 2011

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

OldPueblo posted:

SO what would you recommend, find an Evo 4G for cheap or go with a 3D or the new Galaxy II Meganame? I'm leaning towards the Evo 4G since it has gingerbread now and he might get it for basically nothing with a good deal. But if it's too far behind the others then I'd want to steer him away.

I always recommend getting the newest and best phone available when you sign a contract--in this thread this question will devolve into pissing match between Evo 3D, Photon, and SGSIIE4GT owners, but it's ultimately up to preference... he'd just have to go into a Sprint store and try them out.

Evo 4Gs should be cheap/plentiful on craigslist these days, but there is a noticeable difference in performance between it and the newer generation of phones.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

pragan4 posted:

I always recommend getting the newest and best phone available when you sign a contract--in this thread this question will devolve into pissing match between Evo 3D, Photon, and SGSIIE4GT owners, but it's ultimately up to preference... he'd just have to go into a Sprint store and try them out.

Evo 4Gs should be cheap/plentiful on craigslist these days, but there is a noticeable difference in performance between it and the newer generation of phones.

He's already on contract though, this would just be one of those switch out your current phone deals. Or did I miss something, is that not as easy on Sprint as it was on Verizon when I did it in the past? Just plug in the new ESN and you're done?

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why do you say that?

HTC in the past the past has always released updates quicker then Motorola especially for their flagship phones, while the Photon is not one of Motorola's flagship phone.

Duckman I'm surprised you think the Nexus S has better reception then the EVO 3D. I had a Nexus S for two weeks when I switched to sprint while waiting for the 3D to be released. It kept dropping calls in my house and I was seriously considering of switching back to Verizon. But the EVO 3D's reception was WAY better and hasn't dropped a call in my house once.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wankie posted:

HTC in the past the past has always released updates quicker then Motorola especially for their flagship phones,
HTC may have beaten Motorola with 2.1/2.2, although the fact that Android was "biased" towards MSM platform and the Nexus One was HTC OEM hardware certainly helped.

My Google foo suggests the Droid X was the first Motorola domestic device with an official GB update, released on 5/24, while the Evo was the first HTC device, on 6/3. It's hard to search that kind of thing, so I might be wrong, but I do recall Motorola beating HTC to the punch there. Both HTC and Motorola drug out GB updates on their other devices. Also the fact that both those updates came six months after the release of the Nexus S is fairly unimpressive.

It's not clear to me that HTC will beat Motorola on ICS, it's probably a tossup. I bet both release ICS updates before Samsung though.

Wankie posted:

while the Photon is not one of Motorola's flagship phone.
It's not? It's one of their highest spec'd phone, and the highest spec'd one on Sprint. I suppose the Bionic would be their flagship particularly given its marketing. We'll have to see how that fares in terms of updates though. The first-gen LTE devices aren't doing so great there, and the Bionic itself was long delayed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I will say the EVO 3D is noticeably poorer reception wise than the EVO (or sprint is really sucking).

A lot of people were saying this when the 3D came out, but side by side dB tests showed the 3D getting BETTER signal.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A couple months back my TP2 fell off a lounge chair, maybe 6 inches and cracked the screen. Cosmetically it looked awful, but everything ran fine and it didn't really obstruct the screen use much at all, so I haven't bothered replacing it since even with my TEP insurance they still want $100 to replace the phone. Well today the screen decided to stop working all together. This phone is ridiculously difficult to use without the screen, so I think I have to either pony up the $100 or just upgrade now. I really wanted to hold out until the end of January when my 2 year renewal is available to save another $75, but now it's looking like upgrading early might actually be the better financial choice. Am I thinking correct on this?

I really need to do something soon as all I can pretty much do with it at this point is make phone calls, and I can't even get to my contact list so they have to be recent calls or I need to know the number. I'm probably going to stop into my local store tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I will say the EVO 3D is noticeably poorer reception wise than the EVO (or sprint is really sucking). Signal is mostly noticeable on 4G, and occassionally on cdma (stress occassionally). I wouldn't go as far as saying its a deal break, but my nexus s constantly has better sprint signal. It's weird, but I still recommend the evo 3D. Between the top sprint phones it is still personal preference. I personally will still take the 3D over the photon, whether that makes me a brainwashed HTC scrub is a call for someone else.

Agreeing on the signal issue. I noticed that there's several places in town that you'd imagine you'd have great service, and only have 1 bar. Compared to the Evo right next to each other, the bars are usually 2, sometimes 3 different.

I doubt it's how it shows the meter, since it's not uncommon for me to have to grab the top of the phone, and then flip it so the bottom of the phone is now pointed up so that data will transfer.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
So far, for me, the SGSII is excellent. I needed in a new phone, coming from a T-Mobile HTC Sensation, an excellent front-facing camera, 4G, a big screen, and a good battery life. Given that European SGSII ROMs boot on the Sprint SGSII (albeit with no radio support due to the kernel), I'm pretty confident that a CM7 port will make its way to the Sprint SGSII when an AOSP kernel is available. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, and I think it's right up there with the Photon and Evo 3D in terms of the best phones Sprint has to offer.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

rockcity posted:

A couple months back my TP2 fell off a lounge chair, maybe 6 inches and cracked the screen. Cosmetically it looked awful, but everything ran fine and it didn't really obstruct the screen use much at all, so I haven't bothered replacing it since even with my TEP insurance they still want $100 to replace the phone. Well today the screen decided to stop working all together. I'm probably going to stop into my local store tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

You could probably get one from craigslist for $100 or so as well, but yeah if you've been paying insurance, might as well use it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wankie posted:

HTC in the past the past has always released updates quicker then Motorola especially for their flagship phones, while the Photon is not one of Motorola's flagship phone.

Duckman I'm surprised you think the Nexus S has better reception then the EVO 3D. I had a Nexus S for two weeks when I switched to sprint while waiting for the 3D to be released. It kept dropping calls in my house and I was seriously considering of switching back to Verizon. But the EVO 3D's reception was WAY better and hasn't dropped a call in my house once.

Nexus S got a software update that fixed the reception problems. It is mostly 4G, but its def noticeable (at least to me). I'd still take the 3D, the Nexus has occassional lag problems that drive me up the drat wall (I still need to root and put voodoo crap on it).

rockcity posted:

A couple months back my TP2 fell off a lounge chair, maybe 6 inches and cracked the screen. Cosmetically it looked awful, but everything ran fine and it didn't really obstruct the screen use much at all, so I haven't bothered replacing it since even with my TEP insurance they still want $100 to replace the phone. Well today the screen decided to stop working all together. This phone is ridiculously difficult to use without the screen, so I think I have to either pony up the $100 or just upgrade now. I really wanted to hold out until the end of January when my 2 year renewal is available to save another $75, but now it's looking like upgrading early might actually be the better financial choice. Am I thinking correct on this?

I really need to do something soon as all I can pretty much do with it at this point is make phone calls, and I can't even get to my contact list so they have to be recent calls or I need to know the number. I'm probably going to stop into my local store tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

See what you can get off insurance (hopefully not a TP2), but honestly your best bet is probably a used Evo. Buying a phone from Sprint is only worth it when you have a 2 year upgrade, the $75 upgrade is a joke and is about to be discontinued anyway (no one will miss it). Evos run $200 on craigslist used, just always check the ESN.

Paying $100 for a TP2 is not a good move, fyi, phone just isn't worth that much anymore. This is a guess, but most people who still are suffering with a TP2 are on $30 SERO. IF that is the case, just fyi its $40 for a 3G smartphone a month, $50 for a 4G smartphone like the Evo. I'd still recommend the Evo, although the Optimus S is probably dirt cheap used ($75-100 tops). If you are not on SERO, disregard this part and just get the Evo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Duckman2008 posted:

Paying $100 for a TP2 is not a good move, fyi, phone just isn't worth that much anymore. This is a guess, but most people who still are suffering with a TP2 are on $30 SERO.

While we're somewhat on-topic, would you recommend the TP2 over, say, the Replenish or Rumor Touch as the best phone for the $30/mo. plan? Right now I'm still using a TP1, which was poo poo BEFORE my screen started being moody. I'm looking for something else to get me through the next year or so, until I jump on this iPhone bandwagon. I'm not too heavy on browsing the web, but I'd like to be able to look up directions and check Facebook and such on the phone. This low-level web browsing capability and cost are my two main concerns.