Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I think I would need a bit more than 100mbps if I want to be able to support enough concurrent downloads. My budget is $1k/mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

They tend to be behind on updates (randomly went into two shared accounts at two hosts to check, fantastico is offering an old version of WP), and people installing them won't know to actually update, so after the initial install it'll end up being an old version if it wasn't already

Might depend on which version of PHP they are running. Wordpress 2.8 and earlier work on PHP 5.1, but higher won't, and 3.3 won't work on 5.3. But you also can't just upgrade wordpress willy nilly on people who install it. Plugins break, update scripts have to be run etc.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I think I would need a bit more than 100mbps if I want to be able to support enough concurrent downloads. My budget is $1k/mo.

They also have gigabit and unmetered data options: http://nocster.com/servers-la.shtml

What's the amount of disk space required to store the files? Using SSDs may be a good idea for high I/O throughput.

less than three fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 17, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

less than three posted:

They also have gigabit and unmetered data options: http://nocster.com/servers-la.shtml

What's the amount of disk space required to store the files? Using SSDs may be a good idea for high I/O throughput.

A couple years ago Burstnet wasn't exactly too stable, how is it now?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

drcru posted:

A couple years ago Burstnet wasn't exactly too stable, how is it now?

I don't have any complaints about them.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

less than three posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out. Right now I'm estimating about 3-4TB so SSDs are not really an option.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
How technically competent do you need to be to successfully (and securely) use a VPS? I have a site that runs on shared hosting, just a straightforward PHP/MySQL job. But I want to set up a git repository* that I can connect to from home or from work, and I can't do that on my current shared host.

But I have no experience at all administrating a linux, and don't know the first thing about how I would set up and run a VPS. Is it a terrible idea to change to a vps, or...? Do people even use VPSes as web servers? I assume they do, but it must require some security know-how to set up Apache etc. without leaving it easy to exploit.

* It has to be a private repository. A public one like GitHub is no good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You'll have to know Linux, or be willing to learn. You can pay for private Github accounts.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Hammerite posted:

How technically competent do you need to be to successfully (and securely) use a VPS? I have a site that runs on shared hosting, just a straightforward PHP/MySQL job. But I want to set up a git repository* that I can connect to from home or from work, and I can't do that on my current shared host.
http://offers.assembla.com/free-git-hosting/

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I'm interested in buying the domain name mushman.com, however, when I looked it up, it costs more than $1,800. Obviously, I don't want to pay that much for an address on the internet. I also heard it may be possible to secure it for less. Can anyone offer me some advice? Also, what are some good domain name registrars?

Edit: The domain is owned by BuyDomains.com if that helps.

Mush Man fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 23, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Mush Man posted:

I'm interested in buying the domain name mushman.com, however, when I looked it up, it costs more than $1,800. Obviously, I don't want to pay that much for an address on the internet. I also heard it may be possible to secure it for less. Can anyone offer me some advice? Also, what are some good domain name registrars?

It probably means some squatter is sitting on it, you can try to talk down their price I guess.

I've always used namecheap.com, I guess a lot of people use gandi.net too?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Gandi, Name, Moniker here.

Never ever use: Godaddy, 1&1

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Thanks for the tip, I will look into this.

k\o\w
Sep 11, 2003

Cuz's Uptown Barbeque
Cabins & Resort
"This Is Hit!"

DarkLotus posted:

Lithium Hosting offers both Softaculous and Fantastico!

I went with Lithium Hosting for this reason because I love how easy fantastico is. After getting really lovely support from them with way too much attitude and neckbeard stroking, I switched to https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

It did take 2-3x as long for me to setup wordpress on a host without fantastico, so it took 15 minutes instead of 5, no big deal!

The main difference for the user doing the install is that without fantastico you'll need to learn how to FTP into the server, upload the wordpress files, and change permissions on some files/folders.

I keep our large files like downloads and videos on amazon web services so that when we release a new version a lot of concurrent downloads won't affect the website, and during months where we don't release anything we pay amazon little to nothing. I really like the "pay for what you use" pricing model and recommend AWS and nearlyfreespeech to people who want to save some money on hosting.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

k\o\w posted:

I went with Lithium Hosting for this reason because I love how easy fantastico is. After getting really lovely support from them with way too much attitude and neckbeard stroking, I switched

Care to elaborate? I am looking for a new host, and had Lithium in my "considering" pool.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Linode now has a datacenter in Tokyo, Japan.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

k\o\w posted:

I went with Lithium Hosting for this reason because I love how easy fantastico is. After getting really lovely support from them with way too much attitude and neckbeard stroking, I switched to https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

I believe the support provided to you was fair, you left your support ticket unanswered open as well as your account. We tried to help you with your issue, but you weren't 100% clear as to what you actually wanted to do and never responded to the last reply to your ticket...
For reference...
I'm glad you've found happiness, even if not with Lithium Hosting!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

All cheap webhosting companies can be a pain in the dick.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 24, 2011

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
Can anyone suggest cheap(ish) colocation near Indianapolis or Chicago? I'd like to start out with 2-4u and a /26, on maybe a 10mbit unmetered port?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

echo465 posted:

Can anyone suggest cheap(ish) colocation near Indianapolis or Chicago? I'd like to start out with 2-4u and a /26, on maybe a 10mbit unmetered port?

You better be able to justify it, because people are hard on IP abuse right now (I've seen some places charge $5 per IP).
Start with a /28 at most.

https://www.steadfast.net or something, I don't think there's much good stuff in Indianapolis.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Inmotion Hosting was hacked pretty bad today. All my sites have a huge "YOU HAVE BEEN HACKED" message on them, even sites that are still in development without a registered domain name. The hack happened at 4am and it is still not fixed. They shutdown their call center and live chat support, and now I'm in the dark.

If it was easy to move 75 websites I would, but I feel stuck with them even after this.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

VerySolidSnake posted:

Inmotion Hosting was hacked pretty bad today. All my sites have a huge "YOU HAVE BEEN HACKED" message on them, even sites that are still in development without a registered domain name. The hack happened at 4am and it is still not fixed. They shutdown their call center and live chat support, and now I'm in the dark.

If it was easy to move 75 websites I would, but I feel stuck with them even after this.

A lot of hosts will help you move your sites when you sign up with them, you might look into that. Hopefully you'll start keeping your own local backups from now on, it's not too hard to set something up that can sync changes from your webserver to your own computer, and then you never have to touch it again until you need it. It gives you a lot more flexibility and control when things come up with your host.

Edit: Something like this might work for you if your computer is Windows: http://www.rsync.net/resources/howto/windows_backup_agent.html here's the version they sell for syncing to your own systems, rather than to rsync.net: http://www.superflexible.com/index.htm

dvgrhl fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 25, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

VerySolidSnake posted:

As mentioned above, most hosts will gladly assist you in a migration to get your business. I'd suggest InnoHosting.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

dvgrhl posted:

Hopefully you'll start keeping your own local backups from now on, it's not too hard to set something up that can sync changes from your webserver to your own computer, and then you never have to touch it again until you need it.

I do have backups of all live sites on that server, using rsync and a nightly MySQL dump that downloads to my local server. What I do not have are backups of the development sites. A lot of the work I do is cheap and fast, then the people I sub-contract for make their own edits. Never thought of backing up a site that is not finished and on it's own cPanel account with an impossible to guess password, but I guess I was just proven wrong.

Also, what's stopping this group from targeting another host? My worst fear is packing everything up and moving, then getting hacked again.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

VerySolidSnake posted:

Do you have any open source software installed like phpBB or COppermine photo gallery? This sounds eerily familiar.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

drcru posted:

Do you have any open source software installed like phpBB or COppermine photo gallery? This sounds eerily familiar.

This is way worse than that. This not only effected all Joomla and Wordpress sites, but static websites as well. I had a static site with index.html that it deleted, then added index.php.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

VerySolidSnake posted:

This is way worse than that. This not only effected all Joomla and Wordpress sites, but static websites as well. I had a static site with index.html that it deleted, then added index.php.

Hm. I had this happen once and the entry point was an old installation of Coppermine, I moved it to another account just in case. Are all your domains hosted under one cpanel username? If not, something more sinister might have happened to the server.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

VerySolidSnake posted:

I do have backups of all live sites on that server, using rsync and a nightly MySQL dump that downloads to my local server. What I do not have are backups of the development sites. A lot of the work I do is cheap and fast, then the people I sub-contract for make their own edits. Never thought of backing up a site that is not finished and on it's own cPanel account with an impossible to guess password, but I guess I was just proven wrong.

Also, what's stopping this group from targeting another host? My worst fear is packing everything up and moving, then getting hacked again.

That's good that you have backups, a lot of people don't do that. Regarding this happening at another host, I would argue that your chances would go down by moving to another host. They're not being very transparent about how it happened, just saying that they are "apply[ing] patches to the security problems that allowed this to occur." link But it only happened to them, this isn't a Wordpress or CPanel exploit that lots of people are getting hit by. It was some security issue unique to them, so what confidence can you have in them? If it were my sites, I would be moving.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

VerySolidSnake posted:

I had this happen a few years ago. I forget which package was the culprit, but it was a root privilege escalation vuln that required two parts to activate: a customer with a vulnerable PHP app (remote code execution / download), and the daemon which would run what it downloaded as root. The package simply created a index.html file in every directory (overwriting any files that already existed). I had to remove all the 'infected' files and then restore from backup. It was embarassing.

That said, try just restoring the index for all your sites and see how it works.

If your host isn't going to be 1000% more proactive with software updates, then definitely look for a new host.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

dvgrhl posted:

If it were my sites, I would be moving.

There is no way I could do this smoothly. I'm a one man show with 75 sites to move, it would take days of unpaid work. Then there is dealing with MX records, tracking down all the login details to domain names to change A records (that are owned by each client, the ones that wouldn't change the nameservers), CNAME's, etc etc etc. This is so frustrating and it had to happen at the busiest time of the year.

People talk about the best web hosts like they do with hard drives. Everyone is happy with the original brand they chose until it fails, then they go to the next one. I'm sure a lot of you guys will refer me to your favorite, but that is just because they haven't let you down yet. I was happy with InMotion for 5 years.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

drcru posted:

Hm. I had this happen once and the entry point was an old installation of Coppermine, I moved it to another account just in case. Are all your domains hosted under one cpanel username? If not, something more sinister might have happened to the server.
http://www.inmotionhosting.com/20110925-systems-announcement.html
The entire provider was hacked, not just him.

Anybody have a recommendation for free DNS? I'm using WTFdns but just noticed that one of their two nameservers doesn't resolve, so I'd prefer to switch to something before the other one decides to die too.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

VerySolidSnake posted:

There is no way I could do this smoothly. I'm a one man show with 75 sites to move, it would take days of unpaid work. Then there is dealing with MX records, tracking down all the login details to domain names to change A records (that are owned by each client, the ones that wouldn't change the nameservers), CNAME's, etc etc etc. This is so frustrating and it had to happen at the busiest time of the year.

People talk about the best web hosts like they do with hard drives. Everyone is happy with the original brand they chose until it fails, then they go to the next one. I'm sure a lot of you guys will refer me to your favorite, but that is just because they haven't let you down yet. I was happy with InMotion for 5 years.

Every host will have something happen with them at some point, that is true. However, Inmotionhosting have not taken one sliver of ownership of this, let alone let anyone know how this happened. That is crazy. If sites I host got defaced because of my provider, I sure as hell would want to know every detail of what happened. If they take the silent route like Inmotionhosting is, then I would be out of there. Maybe you can't do it right this second, but if you're not making plans to be gone in the immediate future then you are just setting yourself up for this situation again.

At the very least, a good host will explain exactly what happened and what they did to correct it and ensure it won't happen again. You are a host yourself, you have 75 sites that were potentially affected by this. What assurances can you give them by staying with Inmotionhosting?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Its a shared environment, so if something got in it probably just stuck index.php everywhere it could write to. I have seen it happen once before. Could be something dumb like a version of php or apache that was never updated, or an older cpanel release still running (it is supposed to auto update but there are different options for that) and someone has an outdated copy of joomla or phpmyadmin they installed manually who any number of things.

There is plenty of nasty stuff out there and it is hard to be 100% secure all the time when you are running a shared server and customers want to run a grab bag of applications.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Here are the relevant parts of the email I received last night at 1am:

quote:

We understand the method the attacker used to accomplished this and the
main exploit path was through an internal management server that can
control Cpanel on other servers. The management server was used to
change passwords on the Cpanel servers then login with those passwords.
It does not appear that gaining passwords was a goal or was
accomplished, just password changes were used. Access to the management
server was gained from an exploited customer''s server that was within
our network.....

They recommend changing all passwords, so I'm going to go through and change every cPanel and MySQL password. A lot of the sites are WordPress and Joomla, they could of copied the config files very easily.

But anyways they rolled back my server one day and everything is back to normal. So what are the best recommendations for managed VPS servers?

edit: Found some sites that were still defaced, what a loving nightmare. (I was on a VPS, not shared)

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 26, 2011

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

JHVH-1 posted:

Its a shared environment, so if something got in it probably just stuck index.php everywhere it could write to.

it even affected dedicated server clients too :(

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for free DNS? I'm using WTFdns but just noticed that one of their two nameservers doesn't resolve, so I'd prefer to switch to something before the other one decides to die too.

dns.he.net

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I need some web developers input.

Lately I have done nothing but rails work and therefor have only used Heroku for deployment / amazon S3 for file hosting. In the near future I will need access to a server to host PHP/MySQL & simple sites for development reasons.

What is my best option for reliability? I had a shared hosting account through a goon run service that put a sour taste in my mouth, and would like to look into either a VPS or managed server. Over the last few days I was considering Linode, with my own implementation of Cpanel to manage several domains... but if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears.

Basically I want to be able to host not only client sites, but my own test sites reliably, without using a shared host (unless I get a really good recommendation).

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

I need some web developers input.

Lately I have done nothing but rails work and therefor have only used Heroku for deployment / amazon S3 for file hosting. In the near future I will need access to a server to host PHP/MySQL & simple sites for development reasons.

What is my best option for reliability? I had a shared hosting account through a goon run service that put a sour taste in my mouth, and would like to look into either a VPS or managed server. Over the last few days I was considering Linode, with my own implementation of Cpanel to manage several domains... but if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears.

Basically I want to be able to host not only client sites, but my own test sites reliably, without using a shared host (unless I get a really good recommendation).

Linode really is great. But you might want to stay clear of the Fremont DC, we get a power outage every few months.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

drcru posted:

Linode really is great. But you might want to stay clear of the Fremont DC, we get a power outage every few months.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you manage client sites? Do you use Cpanel (or something like it)? Or is there something better I should look into if I go with Linode? To be honest I was already leaning towards them, but have little experience setting up my own hosting environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

VerySolidSnake posted:

Here are the relevant parts of the email I received last night at 1am:

They recommend changing all passwords, so I'm going to go through and change every cPanel and MySQL password. A lot of the sites are WordPress and Joomla, they could of copied the config files very easily.

But anyways they rolled back my server one day and everything is back to normal. So what are the best recommendations for managed VPS servers?

edit: Found some sites that were still defaced, what a loving nightmare. (I was on a VPS, not shared)

I used Wiredtree for 2 years on their VPS plan, and they were really good the time I was with them. Response times were almost universally less than 15 minutes, and they also have free phone support. I started with their VPS512 plan, but then jumped up to their Hybrid plan. They have a really good reputation over at http://webhostingtalk.com.

It looks like you'd even save money by switching: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1077312. Make note of the promo codes if you do sign up with them. Plus they'll help move your sites over. Good luck.