Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Production posted:

I still listen to How Did This Get Made? because I love bad movies too much. I prefer it when they have more to say other than how BONKERS the movies was, though.

The Flop House is the pinnacle of bad movie podcasts. The hosts have amazing chemistry (and 2/3 of the primary hosts at this point are writers for the Daily Show, if that's a selling point) and I think it really helps that the show is better structured. They're able to get a lot more specific about the bizarre details and play off them really well.

We Hate Movies is great at times. Jim Belushi, Clint Howard, and Michael Caine are up there with Nicolas Cage for great targets. Yeah, It's That Bad is probably in my 4th place for bad movie podcasts just because it's the least polished of the ones I listen to, but again, I like bad movies enough that sometimes it's still fantastic.

Agree with the We Hate Movies support, their James Belushi and Michael Caine podcasts are amazing. The episode where Belushi's role in K-9 was described as being a "crime spree" was one of my favorite all time podcast episodes.

I need to check out The Flop House, thanks for tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I finally got the latest episode of Lou Reads out

http://loureads.com/2011/09/23/lou-reads-penis-enlargement-advice-from-pegym/

back on the wagon!

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I started listening to Mohr Stories by Jay Mohr. I've never been a fan of his but I am in love with the podcast. He talks a lot of shop about the business and doesn't hold back. The only issue is his constant sidetracking. I don't think its as bad as Kevin Smith because he always gets back to it. This is definitely my new favorite and the only podcast I am on top of as they come out.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I started listening to Mohr Stories by Jay Mohr. I've never been a fan of his but I am in love with the podcast. He talks a lot of shop about the business and doesn't hold back. The only issue is his constant sidetracking. I don't think its as bad as Kevin Smith because he always gets back to it. This is definitely my new favorite and the only podcast I am on top of as they come out.

Yeah, I really enjoy it, too. Although I still couldn't believe that he let that one guy talk about jacking off in the showers at the gym, and gleefully thinking about how the next guy has to stand in his jizz, without a reprimand. Sorry, thats a pretty hosed up thing to do. But Jay has really great comedy timing and I agree he does a good job of coming back around.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Agree with the We Hate Movies support, their James Belushi and Michael Caine podcasts are amazing. The episode where Belushi's role in K-9 was described as being a "crime spree" was one of my favorite all time podcast episodes.

I need to check out The Flop House, thanks for tip!

If you check out the Flop House, might I suggest you start at the Bratz Movie one. That one's by far of my favorites.

I know it's in vogue to bash How Did This Get Made, but one of the things I really appreciate about it is that they tell you beforehand what movie they are going to watch, so you can do a little homework. It's not much, but sometimes episodes of 'bad movie' podcasts fall flat to me because they don't describe the movie very well and I haven't actually seen it myself.

Of course, that doesn't excuse them from LITERALLY calling someone a 'dildo' every episode. That is one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard on a podcast and it makes NO sense!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Ugh, Judge John Hodgman was super awkward this week. A family dispute that quickly dropped the dispute and just turned into an ugly family argument.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Ugh, Judge John Hodgman was super awkward this week. A family dispute that quickly dropped the dispute and just turned into an ugly family argument.

Oh, no. That doesn't sound promising. I was happy to see a new episode in my list this week, but this doesn't sound good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yea it kinda dropped from 'oh ha ha brothers being brothers' to 'oh so yea you guys have some legit issues you should work out' about half in.

I really liked his guest bailiff though.

SpacePig posted:

Oh, no. That doesn't sound promising. I was happy to see a new episode in my list this week, but this doesn't sound good.

Well I personally found it funny regardless, just kinda a heads up that I hope you like chuckling at an awkward family dispute being dragged out on an internet comedy podcast. It's nothing TERRIBLE like horrid family secrets coming out or anything, it's just about half in the brothers kinda get this undertone of 'no, seriously, gently caress you man'.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Dip Facial posted:

I saw him at the Hollywood Improv about a month ago and he was surprisingly good in my opinion. He didn't have much competition because it was basically a "No name comedian" night, but he held his own.

He actually enunciated his words on stage, so I don't know why it sounds like English is a second language to him on the Joe Rogan podcast.

Wow! That's cool to hear. Thanks for the report! Is his poo poo genuinely funny or goofy/crass like I imagine it? I guess what I mean is, was it all pussy jokes or something like he chimes in with on the show?

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Wow! That's cool to hear. Thanks for the report! Is his poo poo genuinely funny or goofy/crass like I imagine it? I guess what I mean is, was it all pussy jokes or something like he chimes in with on the show?

My favorite bit involved him being at a Target wearing an adult diaper full of his own poo poo, so yeah pretty crass.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Nemo posted:

The Dead Authors Podcast

H.G. Wells (Paul F. Tompkins) uses his time machine to interview Emily Dickinson (Andy Richter).

It's PFT being a fancy man in a rambling interview. What's not to love? It's a little slow in places, but it'll only get better.
Here's an earlier one with Craig Cackowski as Edgar Allen Poe and Mark Evan Jackson as J.D. Salinger. I liked this one a bit better because of the sniping between Poe and Salinger.

Edit: Forgot the URL.
http://www.podcasters.tv/podcasts/the-echo-park-time-travel-mart-presents-the-dead-author-podcast-235792.html

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mogambo posted:

If you check out the Flop House, might I suggest you start at the Bratz Movie one. That one's by far of my favorites.

I know it's in vogue to bash How Did This Get Made, but one of the things I really appreciate about it is that they tell you beforehand what movie they are going to watch, so you can do a little homework. It's not much, but sometimes episodes of 'bad movie' podcasts fall flat to me because they don't describe the movie very well and I haven't actually seen it myself.

Of course, that doesn't excuse them from LITERALLY calling someone a 'dildo' every episode. That is one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard on a podcast and it makes NO sense!

I did listen to the Flop House Bratz episode and I gotta admit it was ok but not outstanding. These guys laugh at their own jokes a lot and I think one named dropped Jon Stewart. But I also listened to their Wolverine episode and enjoyed it, I think I might need to get used to their style. Any other episodes you would recommend?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I did listen to the Flop House Bratz episode and I gotta admit it was ok but not outstanding. These guys laugh at their own jokes a lot and I think one named dropped Jon Stewart. But I also listened to their Wolverine episode and enjoyed it, I think I might need to get used to their style. Any other episodes you would recommend?

In fairness the Jon Stewart namedrop comes from the guy who works in the Daily Show. I love the Bratz episode but Wolverine is great too. Swing Vote was another good one, and Devil. I think I am Number 4 and Gooby and The Roommate were good. Also, that one about the serial killer at the sorority where they kept calling one girl 'Chugs'.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Mirrors.
Wait what? C'mon you guys.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ograbme posted:

Mirrors.
Wait what? C'mon you guys.

Hold on. Is this a bit?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

So did anybody watch the Nerdist show on BBC America? I thought it had some funny moments, but parts of it felt kind of strained, and I thought David O’Doherty's piece was completely unnecessary. I'm guessing the Beeb insisted upon it or something, but whatever - at least it was short. Also, too many shots of audience members laughing at jokes. I get the impression this is another British TV thing, but I don't know that for certain. Anyway, Craig Ferguson was hilarious, as always, and I liked that he got to be more dirty than he usually is on CBS. Matt Smith was also charming, in a kind of shy, awww-shucks way.

Overall, it didn't strike me as anything that I don't hear regularly on the podcast, but then again, that's probably not the metric by which people should be judging this pilot. For a talk show, even a deep cable one, I thought it was pretty funny and had a good deal of potential to be something pretty groundbreaking. I wish there had been fewer bits and more of Hardwick just riffing with Matt and Jonah, but I understand that this is one of the things that separate TV from podcasts.

Anyway, bottom line is, I hope the show got enough viewers to warrant some more episodes, because I think i could be fun, and I genuinely like these guys and want them to succeed. I wouldn't say I'm expecting that to be the outcome, but hey - it could be fun.

edit: Hahaha, I didn't notice this thread is in a new forum that contains a Nerdist thread because I'm mildly retarded.:downs:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 26, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You have to be a grouch to not like How Did This Get Made. Yes it can be a bit overwrought at times compared to The Flophouse or We hate Movies, that's fine, I love all 3.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Is anyone putting together a Best Show thread? If no one else is going to slap it together, I'll probably have a little time to take care of it tomorrow or Tuesday.

quote:

You have to be a grouch to not like How Did This Get Made.

I definitely am, so you may have a point. Truthfully, I was just expecting it to be a little better given the people involved. I don't hate it, but I only have so many hours a day to listen to podcasts. Sacrifices had to be made.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 26, 2011

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Bill burr's website isn't loading for some reason, but it was briefly working and I managed to get the podcast (took an hour to download). I uploaded it to mediafire for people who can't access the website. And if the website starts working right after I post this, then I'll look like a dummy.

Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast 9/26
http://www.mediafire.com/?6yx15x53k18e4c0

Speaking of Bill Burr, he should probably get his own thread.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

j8910 posted:

Bill burr's website isn't loading for some reason, but it was briefly working and I managed to get the podcast (took an hour to download). I uploaded it to mediafire for people who can't access the website. And if the website starts working right after I post this, then I'll look like a dummy.

Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast 9/26
http://www.mediafire.com/?6yx15x53k18e4c0

Speaking of Bill Burr, he should probably get his own thread.

I want to listen to his podcast but what I've heard I haven't really liked much. He's been on a few episode of Breaking Bad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ElCondemn posted:

I want to listen to his podcast but what I've heard I haven't really liked much. He's been on a few episode of Breaking Bad.

His show is incredibly hit-or-miss, and it really all comes down to how funny you find his stand-up, and how much you like to hear people complain. Every now and again, he has some really funny stories, and his girlfriend Nia really adds something to the advice sections she shows up in, but it's not something I'd necessarily recommend to someone else.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SpacePig posted:

His show is incredibly hit-or-miss, and it really all comes down to how funny you find his stand-up, and how much you like to hear people complain. Every now and again, he has some really funny stories, and his girlfriend Nia really adds something to the advice sections she shows up in, but it's not something I'd necessarily recommend to someone else.

I do like his stand up but he does the same thing Adam Carolla does, just complains for X amount of time. It's enjoyable sometimes but it gets tiresome after a while.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ElCondemn posted:

I do like his stand up but he does the same thing Adam Carolla does, just complains for X amount of time. It's enjoyable sometimes but it gets tiresome after a while.

One of the big differences between Bill Burr and Adam Carolla is that Bill Burr's rants are mostly tongue-in-cheek. And when he starts ranting on a larger issue, like Banks, he's quick to follow it with "don't listen to me. I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. I'm an idiot"

I think what Bill Burr does is pretty unique in the comedy podcast world. He almost never has guests and only occasionally brings his girlfriend in for a little while. Is there anyone else out there that does this, just solo stream of consciousness talk for an hour or so?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 26, 2011

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

One of the big differences between Bill Burr and Adam Carolla is that Bill Burr's rants are mostly tongue-in-cheek. And when he starts ranting on a larger issue, like Banks, he's quick to follow it with "don't listen to me. I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. I'm an idiot"

I think what Bill Burr does is pretty unique in the comedy podcast world. He almost never has guests and only occasionally brings his girlfriend in for a little while. Is there anyone else out there that does this, just solo stream of consciousness talk for an hour or so?

I agree, Bill Burr is more palatable to me than Adam because of the "don't listen to me" attitude. It just gets tiring listening to complaining all the time, that's probably why I find shows like Who Charted to be so refreshing.

I know there are a couple that do a solo podcast but I can't remember who (was gregg proops one of them?)

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

Strange Matter posted:

Listen to the first episode with H. Jon Benjamin.

I just listened to that today. Aisha Tyler is pretty mediocre but H. Jon Benjamin's diarrhea story is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard. I was literally crying from laughing at that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, if Bill weren't laughing at himself for half of the dumb, over-the-top poo poo he said, I wouldn't listen to it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Glitterbomber posted:

Well I personally found it funny regardless, just kinda a heads up that I hope you like chuckling at an awkward family dispute being dragged out on an internet comedy podcast. It's nothing TERRIBLE like horrid family secrets coming out or anything, it's just about half in the brothers kinda get this undertone of 'no, seriously, gently caress you man'.

I kept hoping that the sound of a gavel would be drowned out by them screaming obscenities at each other, because most of their dialogue felt like it was about 10 seconds away from that.

Also, I'd never heard of the magazine the brother was trying to schmooze to get into. This probably makes me old.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Holy loving poo poo the new live WTF is worth it for just that one blowjob story.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

CommunistMojo posted:

Holy loving poo poo the new live WTF is worth it for just that one blowjob story.

I'm listening to that one right now so I can't comment, but I was thinking about live vs. studio, and how it varies depending on the podcast. For a few podcasts that do both that come to mind...

Better with a live audience:
Doug Loves Movies

Better in Studio:
Adam Carolla
Marc Maron
Nerdist
Dork Forest

Is there anyone else that does both formats where the live version is better? Kind of split on PFT.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I pretty much agree, I skip most live podcast eps and doug loves movies is the exception.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

benito posted:

I'm listening to that one right now so I can't comment, but I was thinking about live vs. studio, and how it varies depending on the podcast. For a few podcasts that do both that come to mind...

Doug Loves Movies

Better in Studio:
Adam Carolla
Marc Maron
Nerdist
Dork Forest

Is there anyone else that does both formats where the live version is better? Kind of split on PFT.

PFTs an odd one because it actually works both in studio and with an audience. But it probably wouldn't have worked if he'd done it with an audience from day one.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
I like WTF in-studio or live.

I've considered starting to skip any in-studio DLM episodes, but the last one was decent (with Kulap, Howard, and Belknap).

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

benito posted:

Doug Loves Movies

Better in Studio:
Adam Carolla
Marc Maron
Nerdist
Dork Forest

Strongly agree the Doug Loves Movies needs an audience, I don't think I've finished an in studio episode.

Carolla is slightly better in studio, although the Chris Titus episode was great. Sometimes Bald Bryan's drops are nearly inaudible live.

In my opinion Nerdist is great in studio or not. They seem to get high profile guests live (Patrick Stewart) and the Black Dynamite episode was good. Loved the Wil Wheaton live episode too.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Are there any live WTFs that I should listen to specifically? I've always skipped them.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Jack Bandit posted:

Are there any live WTFs that I should listen to specifically? I've always skipped them.

I can't really think of any that are great. One problem is that he tends to have a lot of people so you just get 5-10 minute chunks of stuff.

What generally annoys me about live shows is that the hosts are so excited about them, but it's got to be a better experience being there than listening to the recording. There are visual jokes that don't translate well, interactions with audience members that you can't hear, and technical problems that take away from the flow of the show.

Greg Proops and Doug Benson seem to do it so well. When Doug accidentally hit a baby with a woot monkey it was freaking hilarious, because he could properly convey what happened while at the same time apologizing.

Worst very special live episode ever? The Tell 'Em Steve Dave in Texas where Quinn was drunk, Walt shut down and wouldn't speak for two hours, and Bryan had to somehow run things in front of a crowd that was turning on them.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

benito posted:

Worst very special live episode ever? The Tell 'Em Steve Dave in Texas where Quinn was drunk, Walt shut down and wouldn't speak for two hours, and Bryan had to somehow run things in front of a crowd that was turning on them.
Actually, that may make it the very best special live episode!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Jack Bandit posted:

The live WTF's are worth it or not depending on small things for me the overall episode can be pretty meh. That said I'd recommend episode 101 with Natasha Leggero ripping on Marc for talking about his ex, 107 Patton Oswalt is gold as always and the latest 213 for the greatest blowjob story told and Ira Glass trying to remember his how he spent a drunken night and lastly episode 201 because I loving love Bob Ducca.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Went to the live Walking the Room show last night - pretty fun! The two of them make a really funny comedy duo on stage. They also had special Walking the Room ice cream.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Jack Bandit posted:

This is going to seem like I work for Marc or something, but I think all the live episodes for sale are great. They have some EPIC confrontations between Marc and guest (Morgan Murphy, Michael Ian Black), and generally just great comics in front of live audiences where they're at their best.

http://www.wtfpodshop.com/

EPISODE 5 - RETURN TO COMIX
A superstar lineup joins Marc back at Comix in NYC. With Eugene Mirman, Kristen Schaal, Jon Glaser, Jessi Klein and Sam Seder.

EPISODE 4 - THE BLUE SHOW
Marc said this one would get filthy, and it did. With Dave Attell, Robert Kelly, Kurt Metzger, Anthony Jezelnick, Joe DeRosa and a special appearance by Amy Schumer.

EPISODE 3 - A NIGHT OF MANY JEWS
Marc welcomes the great fictional married couple of Jeff Garlin and Susie Essman, plus Gary Gulman and Joe Mande. Taped 7/21/10.

EPISODE 2 - ASPEN
Live broadcast from the Rooftop Comedy Festival in Aspen, Colorado, featuring Ryan Singer, Chris Fairbanks, Hannibal Burress, Shane Mauss, and Michael Ian Black. Taped 6/12/10.

EPISODE 1 - LIVE AT COMIX
Marc welcomes John Mulaney, Janeane Garofalo, Morgan Murphy, Todd Barry, Greg Giraldo and Tom Shillue. Taped 4/29/10 at Comix comedy club in New York City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Holy poo poo. Listening to Jay Mohr Stories episode 4.

They've literally had 5 ads for JAY AND SILENT BOB GET OLD right in a row.

Ridiculous.

• Locked thread