Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Aaargh, this is so tempting. Basic necessities...or Chungking Express? Life is so hard.

Chungking Express is as necessary as it gets. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Cacator posted:

Yeah, I always ignore these sales since the ultimate price difference between Criterion and Amazon.ca/HMV in-store is negligible, and if I'm not impatient will just wait for B&N sales which have much more reasonable shipping rates.

That's a good idea, actually. I've had my eye on the Nikkatsu set and La Strada, but it's going to be close to $70 including shipping - not much of a deal.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

You will receive the option of FREE SHIPPING in the US if your order exceeds $50. I pulled the trigger on Au Revoir Les Enfants, The Battle of Algiers, and The Sweet Smell of Success. I've only seen Au Revoir before and loved it, the other two have been praised to high heaven by every cinephile I've asked and the trailers were sharp, so they seem like good bets.

Noting the US shipping just in case someone skims through and thinks Americans aren't entitled to free shipping :patriot:

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 9, 2011

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The sale's up, we've got about twenty hours.

:qq: - The money I used to have.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Beastie Boys Anthology, Scenes from a Marriage have wacky C covers now.

Also, the Essential Art House DVD of the OOP.Tales of Hoffmann is in stock for :10bux:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Announcements tomorrow. Criterion just teased The Lady Vanishes on their FB page.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Between this (if it's true) and Island of Lost Souls, I'm glad to see Criterion stepping up their Pre-Code game.

Still hoping for Ghost World on Blu soon, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Already a given, but this makes it solid confirmation:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#592 - DESIGN FOR LIVING (BR/2-disc DVD - Dec 6)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•“The Clerk,” starring Charles Laughton—director Ernst Lubitsch’s segment of the 1932 film If I Had a Million, which he made just before Design for Living
•Selected-scene commentary by film professor William Paul
•Play of the Week: A Choice of Coward, a 1964 British television production of the play Design for Living, introduced on camera by playwright Noël Coward
•New interview with film scholar and screenwriter Joseph McBride on Lubitsch and Ben Hecht’s screen adaptation of the Coward play
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Kim Morgan

#3 - THE LADY VANISHES (BR - Dec 6)

(same features as DVD)

#38 - BRANDED TO KILL (DVD/BR - Dec 13)

•Exclusive interview with director Seijun Suzuki
•Vintage Japanese film ephemera from the collection of John Zorn

#39 - TOKYO DRIFTER (DVD/BR - Dec 13)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Video piece featuring new interviews with director Seijun Suzuki and assistant director Masami Kuzuu
•Interview with Suzuki from 1997
•Original theatrical trailer
•New and improved English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Howard Hampton

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 15, 2011

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Don't forget Tokyo Drifter.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My take:

Design for Living - I like the pre-Code humor and it's a generally good film, but I have no burning desire to see it again.

Lady Vanishes - One of my favorite early Hitchcocks, no-brainer upgrade

Branded to Kill - One of my top Suzukis but I've already seen it twice. Probably just a rental, if even that.

Tokyo Drifter - Wouldn't mind seeing it again, but don't need to buy it.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

I am in love with this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Don't forget Tokyo Drifter.

Ah I thought they were done. Will edit my post.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The quality of the original Branded to Kill is pretty terrible so this is good news, although I've been reluctant to upgrade most of my Criterion DVDs that have had blu-ray rereleases with the exception of The Third Man since it was going out of print.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
You shouldn't be reluctant with the Suzukis. Their dvds are among Criterion's worst.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I love Fighting Elegy, Story of a Prostitute, and Youth of the Beast but for some reason Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter didn't really do it for me. Guess it's time to give them another try now I know what kind of crazy to expect. After all, the cover of Tokyo Drifter isn't something you can really say no to.

Also, I have never seen any Lubitsch before so I'm curious to see what he's like.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I just noticed the music notes in the train's steam trail on the cover of The Lady Vanishes.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Dammit, I just bought Branded to Kill in the last BN sale.

And I'm excited for Design for Living. I keep putting off watching Lubitsch movies because, you know, one eventually runs out, but it might be time to give that one a go. Here's hoping a Blu of Trouble in Paradise comes soon too.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just noticed the music notes in the train's steam trail on the cover of The Lady Vanishes.

Holy crap.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Also, I have never seen any Lubitsch before so I'm curious to see what he's like.

Design for Living is really great, and the transfer is probably an improvement from the one in the 2-disc Gary Cooper Collection. But that one was decent, and I always prefer when Criterion releases stuff that was precipice unavailable on DVD, so this slate is comparatively disappointing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

One of those months where I want everything.

I've never seen Design for Living but this:

FitFortDanga posted:

•“The Clerk,” starring Charles Laughton—director Ernst Lubitsch’s segment of the 1932 film If I Had a Million, which he made just before Design for Living

rules, and I think it's really funny that they went to the effort to include it. And this:

quote:

•Play of the Week: A Choice of Coward, a 1964 British television production of the play Design for Living, introduced on camera by playwright Noël Coward

pleases me. I love how attention Criterion is to TV movies now. The Play of the Week stuff is usually very high-end and classy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'll have to pick up Design for Living. I've enjoyed Lubitsch's films immensely, especially the Maurice Chevelier musicals.

The Lady Vanishes is a must-have. Hitchcock's best British film. The remastered DVD looks fantastic, so this should be a stunner.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 16, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Design for Living is really great, and the transfer is probably an improvement from the one in the 2-disc Gary Cooper Collection. But that one was decent, and I always prefer when Criterion releases stuff that was precipice unavailable on DVD, so this slate is comparatively disappointing.

This, basically. I really like Design for Living, but I already own it and those extras, enticing as they are probably won't get me to upgrade.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This, basically. I really like Design for Living, but I already own it and those extras, enticing as they are probably won't get me to upgrade.

I didn't realize until you quoted me that a mistyped "previously" got autocorrected to "precipice." :eng99: That's what I get for posting from my phone!

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
If anyone has a copy of The Third Man bluray in the replacement case (not slipcase), could you PM me please?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Here's a question for my fellow Canadians who have ordered through Barnes and Noble during their 50 % off sales in the past. I have always avoided them because of the international shipping and duty I assume would nearly negate the discount. I really want to use the next sale (in November, right?) but would like a heads up on if it is worth it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Ratedargh posted:

Here's a question for my fellow Canadians who have ordered through Barnes and Noble during their 50 % off sales in the past. I have always avoided them because of the international shipping and duty I assume would nearly negate the discount. I really want to use the next sale (in November, right?) but would like a heads up on if it is worth it.

I still end up saving around $10 per item after shipping and whatnot. Totally worth it.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Ratedargh posted:

Shipping isn't too bad, I think it was around 11 dollars last time for me with an order of 4 movies. I also stack the coupon codes that pop up around that time as well. Also our dollar is great right now it's totally worth waiting for!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Safe Driver posted:

Also our dollar is great right now it's totally worth waiting for!
Not today...

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
I average around $22 per movie all in. There is still no where cheaper for Canadians.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Thank you friends, that is good information to have. I will certainly not waste the next opportunity to get cheaper criterion movies!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The shipping isn't bad, but the wait is BRUTAL! It took nearly two months last year.

I order stuff online from the States all the time, and have never had a problem with shipping times with other businesses. Even the tracking number they gave me didn't work.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

The shipping isn't bad, but the wait is BRUTAL! It took nearly two months last year.

I order stuff online from the States all the time, and have never had a problem with shipping times with other businesses. Even the tracking number they gave me didn't work.
Waiting time for me was never a problem, maybe around 2-3 weeks average.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
I ordered something during the B&N sale, waited 1 month, e-mailed them to ask where it was, they said it got cancelled (which they never notified me of), and that I can re-order it at full price if I want. Ended up just getting it from HMV for like $8 more than it would've cost with S&H anyway. B&N is annoying for Canadians, which doesn't make sense because Amazon has their poo poo together. I've ordered from amazon over a dozen times and it never takes more than a week and a half to get here.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

TheYellowFog posted:

I ordered something during the B&N sale, waited 1 month, e-mailed them to ask where it was, they said it got cancelled (which they never notified me of), and that I can re-order it at full price if I want. Ended up just getting it from HMV for like $8 more than it would've cost with S&H anyway. B&N is annoying for Canadians, which doesn't make sense because Amazon has their poo poo together. I've ordered from amazon over a dozen times and it never takes more than a week and a half to get here.

Exactly this. I've had to wait 4-6 weeks for some B&N shipments to arrive, and a lot of times they split up a 4-movie order into three separate orders for whatever reason. Amazon, whether it be from Canada, US, UK, France.. they're very very good with shipping prices and times here to Canada. Hell normally they're earlier than what their shipping estimate is.

Luckily for the B&N sale, I'm driving distance away from a B&N in the states that I just pay the duty across the border! Quite excited for November.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Goons. I've been wanting to watch Carlos, since it's on Netflix, but could anyone recommend which to watch first? The mini-series or the movie?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Watch the miniseries. It's a Fanny and Alexander type of situation where both are great, but there's a lot more to the miniseries than to the movie.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
With some major releases next month I was wondering which movies the community wants to see a blu-ray criterion treatment the most regardless of weather they have the license or not.

I'd like to see:
In The Mood for Love
Wendy and Lucy
Meek's Cutoff (the current release is thin on extras)

There is always movies people think of that never come to mind for me. So lets hear them.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Rick Deckard posted:

Meek's Cutoff (the current release is thin on extras)

Queue the complaining about it not being widescreen.

It was a bit confusing in the theater when the curtain didn't open the whole way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Queue the complaining about it not being widescreen.

It was a bit confusing in the theater when the curtain didn't open the whole way though.

I saw this at the Toronto International Film Festival and haven't seen it since, but it started with the film reel misaligned (if that is the proper way to put it). This is intentional right?
Audience was confused also.