Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Code Jockey posted:

Oh god my eyes

For anyone who complains about some peoples' choices in web design now, click this link. It used to be worse. Way, way worse.

Good lord, the effect stays after you leave the page. auugghh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Holy poo poo, before you click that page, it is advised to put some shades on. My friggin' eyes! :psypop:

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Finally got around to trying out Brutal Doom. Actually really like the fact that it improves on the pistol by changing it to the assault rifle and the more aggressive enemies are nice. The over-the-top effects are nice but I'd like to tone them down a little since they do slow my reasonably decent laptop down a bit during an up-close firefight.

The aftermath of the first 5 minutes of play on MAP10 (Refueling Base) on Ultraviolence. This part is always a pain in the rear end because I always seem to end MAP09 with very little ammo and MAP10 is short on ammo at the beginning + several waves of enemies comes at you as soon as you fire a shot. Brutal Doom of course makes it even worse... :)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Encryptic posted:

Finally got around to trying out Brutal Doom. Actually really like the fact that it improves on the pistol by changing it to the assault rifle and the more aggressive enemies are nice. The over-the-top effects are nice but I'd like to tone them down a little since they do slow my reasonably decent laptop down a bit during an up-close firefight.

The next version is lowering the density of blood and smoke effects to make it less harsh on older machines.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Encryptic posted:

The over-the-top effects are nice but I'd like to tone them down a little since they do slow my reasonably decent laptop down a bit during an up-close firefight.

Try switching texture filtering to "none (mipmap linear)" and turning off high-quality texture resizing. It really helps a lot and in my opinion, the Doom textures and sprites look like rear end when they're filtered.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Encryptic posted:

The aftermath of the first 5 minutes of play on MAP10 (Refueling Base) on Ultraviolence. This part is always a pain in the rear end because I always seem to end MAP09 with very little ammo and MAP10 is short on ammo at the beginning + several waves of enemies comes at you as soon as you fire a shot. Brutal Doom of course makes it even worse... :)

Version 0.12 was officially released today, even though the beta release has been out for several weeks now. The blood and carnage is toned down, but in a strange sort of concession, you can run around and kick dead bodies / limbs like soccer balls. Big, dead, soccer balls. The "Fire Cannon" that you can pull off of gibbed Mancubus corpses is pretty cool: it can set lesser-enemies on fire, but the ammo's a little difficult to come by since each cannon only nets you 8 more shots.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Version 0.12 was officially released today, even though the beta release has been out for several weeks now. The blood and carnage is toned down, but in a strange sort of concession, you can run around and kick dead bodies / limbs like soccer balls. Big, dead, soccer balls. The "Fire Cannon" that you can pull off of gibbed Mancubus corpses is pretty cool: it can set lesser-enemies on fire, but the ammo's a little difficult to come by since each cannon only nets you 8 more shots.

When did they make the Barons of Hell have red blood? :psyduck:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's been that way for a while. No idea why.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hahaha how the hell does this just keep getting more ridiculous?

I love it.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Try switching texture filtering to "none (mipmap linear)" and turning off high-quality texture resizing. It really helps a lot and in my opinion, the Doom textures and sprites look like rear end when they're filtered.

Thanks - did that and seems to help a bit.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ha, nice. I'll check it out. The excessive gore is fine, but if it's toned down slightly in return for a noticeable bump in performance, that'd be cool.

Out of curiosity - is Brutal Doom designed to add extra monsters as well as the other difficulty tweaks? I swear I keep encountering more monsters that aren't normally there when playing regular Doom II in Ultra-Violence.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 26, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Encryptic posted:

Out of curiosity - is it designed to add extra monsters as well as the other difficulty tweaks? I swear I keep encountering more monsters that aren't normally there when playing regular Doom II in Ultra-Violence.

Ultra-Violence itself adds more monsters but Brutal Doom doesn't.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Ultra-Violence itself adds more monsters but Brutal Doom doesn't.

Weird. Maybe it's just all the gore that results from even a few shots that's making me think there's more...not to mention the monsters are also much more aggressive, especially imps and demons (love the new spectre with the glowing eyes) so it could seem like there's more of them...

Edit: Yeah, 0.12 seems to run well so far. A little less gore perhaps but still an entertainingly bloody mess.

Edit 2: Blowing up massive amounts of enemies with exploding barrels and still being able to pick out a recognizable demon jawbone in the middle of the gibs is a nice touch.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 26, 2011

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just tried Brutal Doom 0.12 and im not liking it, its better for laptops/netbooks sure, but i miss the menu music, slash screen and the original "gently caress YOURSELF" voice over this Darth Vader one. I dont really care about kicking limbs around as the "feeling" of the mod got tuned down with less blood. At the other hand i like that there is less smoke effects but meh.

I think ill stick with 0.11 for now and see if he makes another 0.12 with more blood or something :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guillermus posted:

Just tried Brutal Doom 0.12 and im not liking it, its better for laptops/netbooks sure, but i miss the menu music, slash screen and the original "gently caress YOURSELF" voice over this Darth Vader one. I dont really care about kicking limbs around as the "feeling" of the mod got tuned down with less blood. At the other hand i like that there is less smoke effects but meh.

I think ill stick with 0.11 for now and see if he makes another 0.12 with more blood or something :(

It also tweaked a few of the weapons, so you can't just hold down the fire button with the super shotgun any more :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Gonna give Brutal Doom a shot now that I'm ready for a Doom II playthrough. For original (Ultimate) Doom I had GZDoom being launched through Steam; is there a way to do this with Brutal Doom or do I have to do that icon dragging thing? It's not essential but I like Steam tracking my time and stuff.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Minidust posted:

Gonna give Brutal Doom a shot now that I'm ready for a Doom II playthrough. For original (Ultimate) Doom I had GZDoom being launched through Steam; is there a way to do this with Brutal Doom or do I have to do that icon dragging thing? It's not essential but I like Steam tracking my time and stuff.

I don't remember the details, but gzdoom has a config file where you can specify WADs to autoload (on both a global and per-iWAD basis). I have mine set up to automatically load Brutal Doom whenever Doom or Doom 2 is loaded.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
You can also use the same trick to launch QLZD or ZDLSharp through steam, then just make sure Brutal Doom is at the bottom of the launch list.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't remember the details, but gzdoom has a config file where you can specify WADs to autoload (on both a global and per-iWAD basis). I have mine set up to automatically load Brutal Doom whenever Doom or Doom 2 is loaded.
Is there a WAD I'm supposed to be using for Brutal Doom? I downloaded it and all I see is a .PK3 file.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

Is there a WAD I'm supposed to be using for Brutal Doom? I downloaded it and all I see is a .PK3 file.

Just load the pk3 like you would any wad.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

tooooooo bad posted:

Just load the pk3 like you would any wad.
Sorry I'm a bit new at this. The only wad I have experience loading is the one for 2001 music, which I loaded by putting "-file base\D2001MUS.wad" in the Steam launch options. I tried the same thing with this file, putting "-file base\BrutalGZDoom_ V012.pk3" in the launch options, but I just get my normal GZDoom menu where you select which game to play, and when I select Doom 2 it's just loading in normal non-brutal mode.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Minidust posted:

Brutal Doom works with *most* WADs. Emphasis on "most" because I've come across several popular WADs (including Scythe and Scythe 2) where there seems to be a conflict between the WAD and Brutal Doom on maps where you are supposed to die in order to complete the level. If Brutal Doom is selected and loaded before the WAD, I usually die as I'm supposed to, but instead of progressing to the next level, I have to load my last save. If the WAD is selected and loaded before Brutal Doom, I transition levels as intended.

Minidust posted:

Sorry I'm a bit new at this. The only wad I have experience loading is the one for 2001 music, which I loaded by putting "-file base\D2001MUS.wad" in the Steam launch options. I tried the same thing with this file, putting "-file base\BrutalGZDoom_ V012.pk3" in the launch options, but I just get my normal GZDoom menu where you select which game to play, and when I select Doom 2 it's just loading in normal non-brutal mode.

Have you tried dragging / dropping the Brutal Doom .pk3 over the GZDoom executable?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Have you tried dragging / dropping the Brutal Doom .pk3 over the GZDoom executable?
Yeah drag n' drop works fine so I know my files are good. Just trying to get this going in Steam.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Brutal Doom works with *most* WADs. Emphasis on "most" because I've come across several popular WADs (including Scythe and Scythe 2) where there seems to be a conflict between the WAD and Brutal Doom on maps where you are supposed to die in order to complete the level. If Brutal Doom is selected and loaded before the WAD, I usually die as I'm supposed to, but instead of progressing to the next level, I have to load my last save. If the WAD is selected and loaded before Brutal Doom, I transition levels as intended.
At the moment I'm just using the base Doom 2 wad, nothing fancy. I'm not sure if this is just not possible after Steam stopped using batch files for these games, but I was able to use the 2011 music wad for vanilla Doom 1 just fine via the Steam Launch Options.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Minidust posted:

Yeah drag n' drop works fine so I know my files are good. Just trying to get this going in Steam.
At the moment I'm just using the base Doom 2 wad, nothing fancy. I'm not sure if this is just not possible after Steam stopped using batch files for these games, but I was able to use the 2011 music wad for vanilla Doom 1 just fine via the Steam Launch Options.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to load Doom through Steam? I always found it a pain in the rear end for something that loads as quickly as Doom. I bought the game through Steam and ended up moving it to a different directory, since it doesn't need Steam to run in order to load correctly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Minidust posted:

Here's how you set it up in the config file.

Go to your gzDoom directory, and open the 'zdoom-$USERNAME.ini' file.

Look for the sections [Global.Autoload] and [$GAME.Autoload], and add Path= entries for all of the WADs/PK3s you want to load, in addition to the iWAD. For example, mine looks like this:

code:
[Global.Autoload]
Path=lights.pk3
Path=brightmaps.pk3

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/BrutalGZDoomV10b.pk3
Path=Upgrades/BrutalDoomRegeneration.pk3
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3

[Doom1.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/D2011MUS.wad

[Doom2.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DoomMetal.wad
Path=Upgrades/DoomMetal2.wad
So - when running any game, it'll load lights.pk3 and brightmaps.pk3 after the iWAD; when running any Doom game, it'll load Brutal Doom, BD Regeneration, and the high-res textures as well; and when running Doom 1 specifically, it'll load the 2011 soundtrack.

This works whether you're launching it through steam, through zdlsharp, or directly with drag and drop.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
So... ahl_5am. Has the secret ever been finished all the way through? The answer I seem to be finding on the internet is "Yes it has but we can't prove it. Here's a youtube from some idiot Facepuncher who wound up getting banned for scamming so there's not actually any video there." And in any case would anyone be interested in trying to go through it?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

redmercer posted:

So... ahl_5am. Has the secret ever been finished all the way through? The answer I seem to be finding on the internet is "Yes it has but we can't prove it. Here's a youtube from some idiot Facepuncher who wound up getting banned for scamming so there's not actually any video there." And in any case would anyone be interested in trying to go through it?

There was a great RPS article on it a while back, the whole thing sounds fascinating. I miss gigantic secrets in games :(

Anyway I'll put my hat in for this, although bear in mind that a) I live in England so will only be available between 6-10pm BST and b) I currently have viral gastroenteritis and will have to stop for :barf: breaks every 30 minutes...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to load Doom through Steam? I always found it a pain in the rear end for something that loads as quickly as Doom. I bought the game through Steam and ended up moving it to a different directory, since it doesn't need Steam to run in order to load correctly.
Obsessive compulsion is my only real reason. v:shobon:v I play everything else on my PC using Steam as a front end, plus having my time tracked by Raptr and stuff like that is neat.

ToxicFrog posted:

Here's how you set it up in the config file.

Go to your gzDoom directory, and open the 'zdoom-$USERNAME.ini' file.

Look for the sections [Global.Autoload] and [$GAME.Autoload], and add Path= entries for all of the WADs/PK3s you want to load, in addition to the iWAD. For example, mine looks like this:

code:
[Global.Autoload]
Path=lights.pk3
Path=brightmaps.pk3

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3

[Doom1.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/D2011MUS.wad

[Doom2.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DoomMetal.wad
Path=Upgrades/DoomMetal2.wad
So - when running any game, it'll load lights.pk3 and brightmaps.pk3 after the iWAD; when running any Doom game, it'll load Brutal Doom, BD Regeneration, and the high-res textures as well; and when running Doom 1 specifically, it'll load the 2011 soundtrack.

This works whether you're launching it through steam, through zdlsharp, or directly with drag and drop.
Thanks, that did exactly what i needed it to!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Convex posted:

There was a great RPS article on it a while back, the whole thing sounds fascinating. I miss gigantic secrets in games :(

Anyway I'll put my hat in for this, although bear in mind that a) I live in England so will only be available between 6-10pm BST and b) I currently have viral gastroenteritis and will have to stop for :barf: breaks every 30 minutes...

That RPS article was what got me interested in Hondo's maps in the first place :blush:

If you run AHL and look for servers, there aren't many and they're all deserted. This kind of works out in our favor, in that I'd really rather not host a game over motel wi-fi. And all vomit will be taken in stride.

Anyway, anyone who's interested in some Hondo-stomping hit me up on Steam.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
AHL still gets play just about every night or every few nights, depending on the time of year. Hell, right now there's a tiny game going on.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ToxicFrog posted:

code:
[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3
Dumb question, do I need to activate regeneration somewhere in the options after I've loaded the mod? I'm trying it out with Brutal Doom in D2, but I don't seem to be regenerating back to 30 health.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Minidust posted:

Dumb question, do I need to activate regeneration somewhere in the options after I've loaded the mod? I'm trying it out with Brutal Doom in D2, but I don't seem to be regenerating back to 30 health.

No option, it should just work by loading it up. Try making it the last .pk3 to load by moving it underneath DHTP.pk3, like so:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3

I think I had to do that to make it work.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Wamdoodle posted:

No option, it should just work by loading it up. Try making it the last .pk3 to load by moving it underneath DHTP.pk3, like so:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3

My regeneration file looks like it's a WAD rather than a PK3. Would that involve anything different?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Minidust posted:

My regeneration file looks like it's a WAD rather than a PK3. Would that involve anything different?

No, this is grossly simplified and someone who's made one can correct me, a WAD and a PK3 are the same. They both modify the game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

No, this is grossly simplified and someone who's made one can correct me, a WAD and a PK3 are the same. They both modify the game.

A PK3 is a bundle of WAD files in a renamed ZIP file.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

redmercer posted:

I would love to. RPS' article on it is what finally got me to get Half-Life. (Yeah, yeah... Look, I didn't have a computer that ran newer than Win95 until 2004.)

Although, I haven't actually tried AHL yet. I meant to finish HL1 first, got distracted, you know how it goes.

Do you want to go secret-hunting in all the AHL maps, or just 5am? The article mentioned that the others have big secrets too. (It's just that theirs have been explored by others already)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Aside from the loss of auto-repeat on the shotguns, I really dig the new Brutal Doom update. It doesn't feel any less gory - the reduced effects were fairly redundant and overlapping before, and the new visor-splatter/damage/bleeding effects are much clearer than the old ones.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Ayin posted:

I would love to. RPS' article on it is what finally got me to get Half-Life. (Yeah, yeah... Look, I didn't have a computer that ran newer than Win95 until 2004.)

Although, I haven't actually tried AHL yet. I meant to finish HL1 first, got distracted, you know how it goes.

Do you want to go secret-hunting in all the AHL maps, or just 5am? The article mentioned that the others have big secrets too. (It's just that theirs have been explored by others already)

I'm so up for this as well (and for some plain old AHL).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

While there's a bit less blood and smoke in Brutal Doom now, the gibs are a lot clearer and a lot chunkier, too. Enemies seem to have more defined death animations, too - smack a pinky demon at point-blank with the SSG and its entire upper half explodes, and leaves a huge red splat on the opposite wall.

Edit: For the lazy, I uploaded a tweaked Brutal Doom (GZDoom variant) with autofiring shotgun and SSG reenabled. I was considering doing a variant with a full-auto rifle that reloads every 15-20 shots, too, but I thought that might be a little overpowered.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2011

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Wamdoodle posted:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3

Oh duh it was working the whole time, I didn't realize it only charged you up to 26 rather than 30. Thanks anyway!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

While there's a bit less blood and smoke in Brutal Doom now, the gibs are a lot clearer and a lot chunkier, too. Enemies seem to have more defined death animations, too - smack a pinky demon at point-blank with the SSG and its entire upper half explodes, and leaves a huge red splat on the opposite wall.

Edit: For the lazy, I uploaded a tweaked Brutal Doom (GZDoom variant) with autofiring shotgun and SSG reenabled. I was considering doing a variant with a full-auto rifle that reloads every 15-20 shots, too, but I thought that might be a little overpowered.

Is too hard to find the old splash screen and menu music (I know its Metallica) and build it up into v0.12 version? I want to adapt to 0.12 as i like the lowered smoke effects but dont want to give up these 2 things (and the old voice).