Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Sporadic posted:

- edit BOOOOOOO Adaptation was pushed back from December 6 to January 17, 2012

Was it ever announced if there would be special features on this or just bare bone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Bandit posted:

Was it ever announced if there would be special features on this or just bare bone?

All signs point to it only having the theatrical trailer like the DVD.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I know that by this point in the DVD's lifecycle it was possible to get region free players that were also dual standard- they could play NTSC and PAL, so effectively you could watch any disc. (Though watching a PAL disc on NTSC created a subtle image stuttering.) They were still more expensive than a normal player, but that's what I have.

Has this happened with Blu-Ray players yet? Have they made one that plays anything?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The Blu-Ray Disc Association strictly enforces region coding and will take action against manufacturers who make region-free players, particularly in the US. They can stop you from selling them, and they could even revoke that player's AACS key. Certain hackable-via-remote models like the Sherwood have found themselves locked after a particular firmware upgrade.

That said, there are a number of after-market mods, including modified firmware & physical modchips for a number of players. The modchips for Pioneer and Oppo players don't even require soldering. I installed a chip in my old Panasonic, but apparently you can just load custom firmware onto them now.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 26, 2011

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Daft Punk's INTERSTELLA 5555 is apparently out on blu-ray. WHERE, GODDAMNIT, WHERE?!?!!!

edit: Oh poo poo I can get it on amazon.ca for 13.99 CDN. I'm so... happy....

Cacator fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 26, 2011

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Cacator posted:

Daft Punk's INTERSTELLA 555 is apparently out on blu-ray. WHERE, GODDAMNIT, WHERE?!?!!!

It's a really bad upscale

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

hitze posted:

It's a really bad upscale

:( What about the soundtrack?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cacator posted:

Daft Punk's INTERSTELLA 5555 is apparently out on blu-ray. WHERE, GODDAMNIT, WHERE?!?!!!

Looks like it is getting an American release from Virgin Records. October 4th

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005HGZV6U

Cacator posted:

:( What about the soundtrack?

Lossless 5.1 and stereo

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

frumpsnake posted:

The Blu-Ray Disc Association strictly enforces region coding and will take action against manufacturers who make region-free players, particularly in the US. They can stop you from selling them, and they could even revoke that player's AACS key. Certain hackable-via-remote models like the Sherwood have found themselves locked after a particular firmware upgrade.

That said, there are a number of after-market mods, including modified firmware & physical modchips for a number of players. The modchips for Pioneer and Oppo players don't even require soldering. I installed a chip in my old Panasonic, but apparently you can just load custom firmware onto them now.

If I bought a compatible Panasonic and tracked down a chip for it would that chip ensure the player will always be region free, and could it still receive firmware updates after the fact as well?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

At $14 I don't think I can pass it up. I bought the DVD cheaply too but could easily find someone to buy it from me. It's not like the DVD had a top quality transfer either.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cacator posted:

I thought it wasn't out until October...

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So basically zero chance Archer: Season One is region free, right?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

The three disc edition of Apocalypse Now is down to $28.99 on Amazon.

That's the lowest it has been and this edition is the only way to get Hearts Of Darkness in HD (which I liked better than the actual movie)

Thanks for the heads up. Been waiting to pick this up for awhile now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So basically zero chance Archer: Season One is region free, right?

Marked Region A on the back of the case so zero chance

http://forum.blu-ray.com/attachments/blu-ray-movies-north-america/37684d1315427267-archer-season-1-sept-13-img_20110907_135151.jpg

ApexAftermath posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Been waiting to pick this up for awhile now.

No problem :)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I thought it wasn't out until October...

For Americans :smug:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Chances of a European release are... ha.... ha haha.... hahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHA!

Chances are small, is what I'm saying.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jurassic Park limited edition unboxing: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/09/23/jurassic-park-limited-edition-blu-ray-unboxing

Looks rubbish.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Chances of a European release are... ha.... ha haha.... hahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHA!

Chances are small, is what I'm saying.

Man, the state of EU releases is so sad. We still don't even have season 3 of Breaking Bad! I have to get my hands on a region free BR player somehow.

Edit: Just when I said that, a local store got a new one in stock for just $200. Aces!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 27, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Two great deals on Amazon.

:siren: Drive Angry (3D Blu-Ray) - $11.99 :siren:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004SKIPXW

Grindhouse - $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003VMFWYI

I have Grindhouse (I preordered it for the same price :)) and it is a great release even though it doesn't have lossless audio. The full movie on one disc and a ton of extras on another.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 27, 2011

Dr Assinine
Mar 8, 2007
I knew I should have bought Breaking Bad Seasons last week. That amazing Amazon sale is over with.

Grindhouse deal might make up for it.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I can't believe there's still no Bad Boys 2.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Grindhouse - $13.99

I have Grindhouse (I preordered it for the same price :)) and it is a great release even though it doesn't have lossless audio. The full movie on one disc and a ton of extras on another.

Does this release have the theatrical cut of the whole drat thing? I've never been able to see it like that because in Europe Grindhouse was only shown as 2 separate movies with the extended (boring) cuts even at theaters. I'd love to experience the thing as it was originally intended.

edit: All right, looks like that is the case. :)

Zat fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 27, 2011

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
So if you're looking to get Ben-Hur today without all the giant boxes and trinkets (but also, unfortunately, extras) then here are your two options:

Best Buy: $29.99. Normal blu-ray case, 2 blu-rays with the movie and commentary and 2 dvd's with the same content in standard def.

Wal-Mart: $19.99. Normal blu-ray case, 2 blu-rays with the movie and commentary.

If you really want the disc of extras and the 1925 film, then your third option is to hold off on buying either of these and maybe wait for Warner to release it all in a smaller package sometime within the next year.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Zat posted:

Does this release have the theatrical cut of the whole drat thing? I've never been able to see it like that because in Europe Grindhouse was only shown as 2 separate movies with the extended (boring) cuts even at theaters. I'd love to experience the thing as it was originally intended.

edit: All right, looks like that is the case. :)

It is the theatrical cut with the trailers in the middle.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Ganon posted:

I can't believe there's still no Bad Boys 2.

Seriously, what are they waiting for? I think Criterion should buy the rights if the studio doesn't want to release it.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Space_Butler posted:

So if you're looking to get Ben-Hur today without all the giant boxes and trinkets (but also, unfortunately, extras) then here are your two options:

Best Buy: $29.99. Normal blu-ray case, 2 blu-rays with the movie and commentary and 2 dvd's with the same content in standard def.

Wal-Mart: $19.99. Normal blu-ray case, 2 blu-rays with the movie and commentary.

If you really want the disc of extras and the 1925 film, then your third option is to hold off on buying either of these and maybe wait for Warner to release it all in a smaller package sometime within the next year.

Option 3 - Purchase the UK 3-disc Ben-Hur BD, available from Amazon.co.uk for ~$25 including shipping to the US. All the Blu-ray disc content, in a normal package, and region free (as are all Warner Bros. Blu-ray releases worldwide).

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Just picked up The Others at Target for $5. Too sick of a deal to pass up.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Sporadic posted:

Two great deals on Amazon.

:siren: Drive Angry (3D Blu-Ray) - $11.99 :siren:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004SKIPXW

Grindhouse - $13.99

Does the Drive Angry 3D version have the 2D one as well or just 3D?

edit: the back of the box makes it look like it, yep

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anyone seen the new Gamera stuff at a brick and mortar anywhere?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

RichterIX posted:

Has anyone seen the new Gamera stuff at a brick and mortar anywhere?

Not on blu-ray, but the MST3K collection is probably worth picking up instead. :ssh: they're not very good movies

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cacator posted:

Not on blu-ray, but the MST3K collection is probably worth picking up instead. :ssh: they're not very good movies

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the 90s Gamera movies, which Mill Creek has been giving really good releases recently, not the lovely 60s movies Shout Factory are putting out.

If you're talking about those too, you have objectively bad taste in movies.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Just watched the first episode of Band of Brothers on Blu ray and... why is it getting such incredible reviews for picture quality? It's all over the place, constantly shifting from incredibly detailed to excessively grainy, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't happen mid-scene. (just look at the scene where Sobel hears that he's losing Easy company)

During one of the Airborne plane scenes the grain even switched on/off every second during a single zoom-in. It was the weirdest thing.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just watched the first episode of Band of Brothers on Blu ray and... why is it getting such incredible reviews for picture quality? It's all over the place, constantly shifting from incredibly detailed to excessively grainy, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't happen mid-scene. (just look at the scene where Sobel hears that he's losing Easy company)

During one of the Airborne plane scenes the grain even switched on/off every second during a single zoom-in. It was the weirdest thing.

Sure your TV doesn't have some kind of weird dynamic DNR enabled?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yeah. It was pretty much consistently grainy on my setup. (That's not a criticism.)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Trump posted:

Sure your TV doesn't have some kind of weird dynamic DNR enabled?

frumpsnake posted:

Yeah. It was pretty much consistently grainy on my setup. (That's not a criticism.)

Nope, sure it's neither the tv or the Blu ray. It's really weird, seeing one shot being incredibly sharp and almost grainless (which in its self is weird) and the very next shot has grain up the wazoo.

Yes. The wazoo.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I noticed this too. The really nice shots seem to be at calmer intervals such as walking, at bases and so on, then it gets grainy as gently caress during battle scenes. I guess they were going for a documentary look? But you are right, sometimes it seems to switch, even during a battle.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The Blu-Ray did get a little DNR compared to the Japanese HD DVDs

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Star Trek: The Next Generation is officially set for release on blu-ray. The sampler disc is being called "The Next Level" and will be released in January 2012, with a season 1 release later in the year. Full press release and trailer here: http://www.startrek.com/article/the-next-generation-blu-rays-launch-in-2012

Edit: The trailer is apparently crapping out for everyone, so here it is on YouTube.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
City Of God is finally getting an American release by Lionsgate.

December 19, 2011 - $13.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005Q4CKLC

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

City Of God is finally getting an American release by Lionsgate.

December 19, 2011 - $13.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005Q4CKLC

Granted, it's been a while since I saw it, but is City Of God really a movie that begs to have a "One man..." type tagline?

• Locked thread