Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Right before reading his post I ran across this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XCX7WA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1TP2RCKS1Y35B

That is a lot of one-star reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

withak posted:

That is a lot of one-star reviews.

Yeah, I decided against risking it and am going with the sell and buy new one plan.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Holy poo poo. I'm glad I went ahead and shoved my own SSD in my iMac

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7115ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MjU1NDIyOTE&s=newest

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Who the gently caress would actually buy that.

Edit: I'm also kind of missing the Air I had months ago just for weight, form factor, and lack of heat output compared to this MBP I've been using through work, but at the same time I kind of want a Mac Pro whenever they refresh that line, if I could swing one. I've been learning some Xcode/Objective-C programming which I'd like to stick with, so having power is nice, though I also wouldn't be doing any 3D work, so it'd be more processor than graphics reliant. Stupid expensive Apple products: :arghfist::smith:

double sulk fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 26, 2011

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
My magsafe died a couple months ago and I went through the same thing. Those Chinese knock-offs are apparently notorious for melting or something, and they don't last longer than 6 months.

I heard the official ones also don't last very long, but at least they have a 1 year warranty.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Bass Bottles posted:

My magsafe died a couple months ago and I went through the same thing. Those Chinese knock-offs are apparently notorious for melting or something, and they don't last longer than 6 months.

I heard the official ones also don't last very long, but at least they have a 1 year warranty.

My MagSafe from my first MacBook lasted about 2 1/2 years before melting one day but I'm 2 1/2 years into the one I have for the MacBook Pro I replaced it with and it seems to be fine. 2 1/2 years seems like a good run to me, anything longer than a year is just icing on the cake really.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The official ones were quite unreliable for a long time there, due to not having enough strain relief. That was just another part of a long trend of lovely laptop PSUs stretching back to 1999 or so.

I've heard anecdotally that the newer "traffic light" MagSafes are much improved.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Seriously? That's ridiculous.

Welcome to the world of Apple peripherals, where everyone charges more because they're a) Apple or b) a third party that claims it has to make up for the smaller user base. It's been like this forever.

Newer MagSafe adapters also have this cord made out of this material that refuses to get kinked up.

It should go in the OP: don't waste your time with third party AC adapters or batteries, no one will ever bother to make ones that match Apple standards.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 26, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

flyboi posted:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7115ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MjU1NDIyOTE&s=newest

Could they make stupider-looking enclosures?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

I've never seen a third-party MagSafe adaptor, pretty sure Apple has patents that preclude it.

I'm actually using one right now. It's made by "Pwr+" and seems to work just dandy!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Right before reading his post I ran across this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XCX7WA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1TP2RCKS1Y35B

:10bux: more gets you the real thing
http://amzn.com/9948444183

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anywhere I can get a replacement switch-blade end for the charger? I seem to have lost that connector :(

Edit: drat cat. I'll have to check her hoarding spots in the future :o:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 26, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

flyboi posted:

Anywhere I can get a replacement switch-blade end for the charger? I seem to have lost that connector :(

They're called "duck heads", there's a bunch of 3rd party ones on Amazon.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Yo yo gangstaz. I'm shopping for an external video capture device to archive some old VHS tapes. Firewire, Thunderbolt, or USB 3, and it must accept lovely old RCA. Under $200 would be great.

Any recommendations before I just buy whatever Chad at the Apple Store is selling?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Elgato has a video capture deal that should do the trick for $100.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Video-Capture/product1.en.html

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Are all USB Bluetooth dongles equal?

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 that I use with a Magic Trackpad, Magic Mouse and Apple wireless keyboard. Because that model Mac Pro has no built in Bluetooth, I've been using some old (like, 6 years old) Belkin USB dongle I had lying around. Much to my surprise, it worked fine with Lion, requiring no additional software installed etc.

However, it's not very good. It works most of the time, but sometimes it won't register all the devices when I turn the machine on, forcing me to re-link them. Using the devices to wake from sleep only works about 25% of the time. Also, there is a noticeable lag, especially on the Magic Trackpad.

Basically, it's a bit poo poo. Not as much as to cause a problem, but irritating none the less.

Would buying a new, 'better' bluetooth dongle solve this? Or are all USB dongles likely to have these sorts of problems?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

On the new Thunderbolt displays, are the magsafe/thunderbolt cable long enough to plug into the 13" MBA, or would I have to plug in the separate magsafe for the power?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

On the new Thunderbolt displays, are the magsafe/thunderbolt cable long enough to plug into the 13" MBA, or would I have to plug in the separate magsafe for the power?
Looks fine in these photos.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4832/the-apple-thunderbolt-display-review

That display was sort of created with the Air in mind, so I doubt Apple would gently caress that up.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Does anyone know what the yellow tape is that's inside my MacBook Pro (2008 model, though that's probably irrelevant)? It's applied sometimes directly onto circuit boards so it must be non-conductive.

I am having an occasional problem where the trackpad and keyboard will just not work, which is extremely frustrating because it feels random. I've opened up the laptop quite a few times to replace hard drives and fix things so the tape that was once over the keyboard<->motherboard connector has totally lost all of its stickiness, and I want to replace it in hopes that it will solve my problem.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Looks fine in these photos.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4832/the-apple-thunderbolt-display-review

That display was sort of created with the Air in mind, so I doubt Apple would gently caress that up.

Ah great... the photos on the Apple website showed the TB display connected up to the MBPs and the cable looked short.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

vlack posted:

Does anyone know what the yellow tape is that's inside my MacBook Pro (2008 model, though that's probably irrelevant)? It's applied sometimes directly onto circuit boards so it must be non-conductive.

I am having an occasional problem where the trackpad and keyboard will just not work, which is extremely frustrating because it feels random. I've opened up the laptop quite a few times to replace hard drives and fix things so the tape that was once over the keyboard<->motherboard connector has totally lost all of its stickiness, and I want to replace it in hopes that it will solve my problem.

It's probably just some Kapton or similarly non-conductive tape used in manufacturing to secure latches/connectors.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Sulk posted:

Edit: I'm also kind of missing the Air I had months ago just for weight, form factor, and lack of heat output compared to this MBP I've been using through work, but at the same time I kind of want a Mac Pro whenever they refresh that line, if I could swing one. I've been learning some Xcode/Objective-C programming which I'd like to stick with, so having power is nice, though I also wouldn't be doing any 3D work, so it'd be more processor than graphics reliant. Stupid expensive Apple products: :arghfist::smith:

So would the 13" MBA be a poor choice if I was primarily going to be using the machine primarily for X-Code?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kekekela posted:

So would the 13" MBA be a poor choice if I was primarily going to be using the machine primarily for X-Code?
I guess it depends on what your projects are like, but I have no problems with Xcode on my Air.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Kapton's most likely used because it holds up well under extreme temps, both hot and cold.

However if you have an intermittent connection I'd be more inclined to blame the cable itself going south than a piece of tape..

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Binary Badger posted:

Kapton's most likely used because it holds up well under extreme temps, both hot and cold.

However if you have an intermittent connection I'd be more inclined to blame the cable itself going south than a piece of tape..

That's quite possible. However, I don't really trust the connector that's between the keyboard cable and the motherboard, and there's no longer any tape to keep it secured...

I figure I should try the cheaper thing first. ifixit.com has just the keyboard at $100, and the top piece w/ trackpad at over $200. I'm not sure it's really worth that much in repair costs. (eBay also has both together for a little over $100, but then I have to deal with eBay.)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

vlack posted:

Is this an early 2008 (pre-unibody) or late 2008 (first unibody) MBP? If it is a pre-unibody I know that my brother's had an issue where the cable from the trackpad was getting pinched and shorted. It seemed very random until we discovered that it was pressure related. You can determine if this is the problem by pressing down firmly on the top case, especially on that area between the trackpad and the keyboard, while checking to see if the keyboard and/or trackpad stop working.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1997 posted:

My MagSafe from my first MacBook lasted about 2 1/2 years before melting one day but I'm 2 1/2 years into the one I have for the MacBook Pro I replaced it with and it seems to be fine. 2 1/2 years seems like a good run to me, anything longer than a year is just icing on the cake really.
I still have a Magsafe power adapter from a late 2007 MB Pro that still charges my work 15" MB Pro each day, no issues, no meltdowns, no fraying. I guess as long as you don't put items on top of the adapter so it can stay cool

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

You Am I posted:

I still have a Magsafe power adapter from a late 2007 MB Pro that still charges my work 15" MB Pro each day, no issues, no meltdowns, no fraying. I guess as long as you don't put items on top of the adapter so it can stay cool

I'm on my third magsafe in four years and I don't think I really abused it too much. If you look at the reviews on Apple.com there's a surprising amount of people having problems with them, too. When I was looking into buying a new one it really surprised me and made the $80 price tag even more frustrating.

However, I have heard that the new ones are much more reliable, so here's hoping.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm on my third magsafe in four years and I don't think I really abused it too much. If you look at the reviews on Apple.com there's a surprising amount of people having problems with them, too. When I was looking into buying a new one it really surprised me and made the $80 price tag even more frustrating.

However, I have heard that the new ones are much more reliable, so here's hoping.

Wow yeah, I was a bit scared to hear about your MagSafe issues. I have a 2010 one, it's been rock-solid, no signs of fraying, and I'd say I abuse the thing quite a bit.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Picked up a refurb mini (mid-2010 C2D) for my Mom last Wednesday. It was delivered less than 48 hours later, despite not paying for expedited shipping. I know location plays a lot in shipping, but this was fast - this came from PA to MI, but initial estimates placed arrival as the 30th.

To top it off, it was supposed to have 2GB of RAM - even says so on the packing slip - but came with 4GB installed. I'm not usually suprised by Apple's service. In my experience, they get top rankings for a reason. But to me, the 2 free GB seems above and beyond. Is this fairly typical for the refurb store? If so, nice!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

strokevictim posted:

Picked up a refurb mini (mid-2010 C2D) for my Mom last Wednesday. It was delivered less than 48 hours later, despite not paying for expedited shipping. I know location plays a lot in shipping, but this was fast - this came from PA to MI, but initial estimates placed arrival as the 30th.

To top it off, it was supposed to have 2GB of RAM - even says so on the packing slip - but came with 4GB installed. I'm not usually suprised by Apple's service. In my experience, they get top rankings for a reason. But to me, the 2 free GB seems above and beyond. Is this fairly typical for the refurb store? If so, nice!

It's not really typical but I've definitely seen a few goons order from the refurb store that had similar things happen (either more RAM or bigger HD).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

1997 posted:

It's not really typical but I've definitely seen a few goons order from the refurb store that had similar things happen (either more RAM or bigger HD).

Is this from previous users sending back in upgraded machines for repair? It'd be pretty crazy if the store workers gave you a new machine, transferred your HD, and added in the amount of ram you had before.

Surely that can't be how things work right?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Ah great... the photos on the Apple website showed the TB display connected up to the MBPs and the cable looked short.
I have that display. The cable is longer than it would need to be in any situation I could imagine. I'd guess it's about 4 feet long or so.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have a question. My parents are both getting new computers soon. My mother is sticking with a PC, that I'm going to build her from parts off of New Egg, because she uses it for a lot of business stuff, and her office uses PC. My father on the other hand runs his own business from home (builds and fixes guitars and amplifiers) and also needs to do audio recording with it. He's also pretty much the computer equivalent of the black plague. Every PC he's ever used has pretty much gone to hell after a year or so of him using it, and requires me to do massive tech support from all the viruses and such he gets, usually resulting in a total wipe.

So I'm thinking about helping him just get, and set up, a Mac Mini. I have a Mac Book Pro in addition to my desktop PC, and it seems like he would be much better suited to the Mac experience. It's a bit more user friendly, it's harder to get viruses, it ships with Garage Band, etc.

Do you guys think this would be a good pick for him? We are on a budget, and don't want to go much over $800 on it, so I would be getting him the $600 version, with Apple Mouse and Apple Keyboard, then buying him a monitor and external CD/DVD burner for it from New Egg.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I have a question. My parents are both getting new computers soon. My mother is sticking with a PC, that I'm going to build her from parts off of New Egg, because she uses it for a lot of business stuff, and her office uses PC. My father on the other hand runs his own business from home (builds and fixes guitars and amplifiers) and also needs to do audio recording with it. He's also pretty much the computer equivalent of the black plague. Every PC he's ever used has pretty much gone to hell after a year or so of him using it, and requires me to do massive tech support from all the viruses and such he gets, usually resulting in a total wipe.

So I'm thinking about helping him just get, and set up, a Mac Mini. I have a Mac Book Pro in addition to my desktop PC, and it seems like he would be much better suited to the Mac experience. It's a bit more user friendly, it's harder to get viruses, it ships with Garage Band, etc.

Do you guys think this would be a good pick for him? We are on a budget, and don't want to go much over $800 on it, so I would be getting him the $600 version, with Apple Mouse and Apple Keyboard, then buying him a monitor and external CD/DVD burner for it from New Egg.

Honestly, if you can spare a few extra dollars, I would go for the entry level iMac. The screen in that should be considerably nicer than a separate one in your price range, double the memory, discreet GPU, speakers, mic, webcam and two extra CPU cores. Plus it's less desktop clutter and just nicer to use overall.

Though it would be $400 over your budget. There is one for just over $1000 on the refurb store at the moment: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A?mco=MjMwMTc4OTE
(Plenty of goons swear by the refurb store, but I've haven't purchased anything for myself from there yet)

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Typing this on my refurbished iMac. You get an Apple computer, you get the regular 1-year warranty and you can save a lot of money. Getting this machine from the refurb store saved me 500 bucks.

edit: Finally clicked the button and ordered the 11" Air ( + i7 cpu upgrade). Can't loving wait. :toot:

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 27, 2011

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

JP Money posted:

Is this from previous users sending back in upgraded machines for repair? It'd be pretty crazy if the store workers gave you a new machine, transferred your HD, and added in the amount of ram you had before.

Surely that can't be how things work right?
Since computers can be customized when purchased you can get random upgrades through the refurb program. Pretty sure all the returned computers are refurbished and enter a limited number of product configs. These configs are based on motherboard/processor and not further subgrouped based on hard drive or RAM. So if you get someone's returned computer that paid for a RAM or hard drive upgrade then you'll get a free upgrade. Apple doesn't care, they've already been paid for that additional hardware and it would cost them money to maintain more refurb configurations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple is the only place you can configure it with better video cards/processors on a few models. Otherwise I stick to Amazon, Macmall, Macconnection because they don't charge tax.

Apple's site also sell refurbished models (good as new, same warranty) for lower prices. I got a 2010 MBP for about 30% off.
B&H (in NY) has a bunch of BTO configs so they might have what you'd want to configure.

flyboi posted:

About what I expected. The 2TB HDD one has about a $300 premium over the bare drives, so it's about the same with this one (assuming they're still using the relatively expensive Intel 510s as announced way back).

Bob Morales posted:

Could they make stupider-looking enclosures?
It's LaCie, so I'm sure they can if they haven't already.

Granite Octopus posted:

Honestly, if you can spare a few extra dollars, I would go for the entry level iMac. The screen in that should be considerably nicer than a separate one in your price range, double the memory, discreet GPU, speakers, mic, webcam and two extra CPU cores. Plus it's less desktop clutter and just nicer to use overall.

Though it would be $400 over your budget. There is one for just over $1000 on the refurb store at the moment: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A?mco=MjMwMTc4OTE
(Plenty of goons swear by the refurb store, but I've haven't purchased anything for myself from there yet)
Yeah the iMacs are better for most people and have a better price/performance ratio, especially when you take into account if you need peripherals and some basic upgrades (4-8GB RAM in particular, maybe HD if the stock is too slow for you).

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

TheJoker138 posted:

The mini comes with a 5400RPM drive that is going to really drag down performance in Garage band. If your dad wants to move up professional application for recording like Pro Tools or Logic, you will need more ram and an external firewire 400/800 drive. Like others are saying, I'd start looking to the refurb store. Your mini starts getting expensive and cluttered with additional ram and external optical and recording drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

Ancedotal, but I've been using the same 60W traffic light MagSafe adapter on my MB mid-2009 for the past two years without so much as a hiccup.