Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

I'm having some problems with my diva cup. I am on the Nuvaring which is wonderful, it limits my hell periods to 3-4 days instead of 2-3 weeks, but they are still heavy and awful. I am just finishing up my period and I had 2 really bad accidents with the cup. One, I woke up and realized it was overflowing, and then yesterday I got to work after having it in for about an hour and a half or so and it was totally full and I made a huge mess when I removed it (it looked like someone slaughtered a small goat in the stall). Is there another cup that maybe has a little higher capacity than the small diva? I get having to take it out more often if my flow is super heavy but yesterday I was on the bus for an hour and couldn't do it. Sometimes I just can't get to the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Croisquessein posted:

I got the small Diva and while I can't properly test it yet I've been working on getting my vag to cooperate with it. Did some research- small front door plus high cervix made me unsure about the best choice (I've learned more about vaginas his week than ever before!) but Diva seems to be working for me after some practice getting it past security. I can't get it to open all the way though. I know once you get into the foyer there's plenty of room in there, so I just have to work at it. And I have an irrational fear of losing it forever even though I know it's not that far in. Worst case scenario, hemostats to the rescue. But it's totally comfortable, when I get it situated finally it will be a great day. Thanks for all you testimonials, I'm almost free!
This could just be me, but I find it's a lot easier to get it all the way open when I have my period than when I don't

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Those of you talking about how soft the MeLuna is - it's the "soft" version, right? My MeLuna is super stiff, but I bought it before the soft one existed. I do like that it pops open more easily, but it can be a little uncomfortable with removal. Now I want a soft one too!

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

It's spookily soft, I've just swapped to the soft version, no leaks at all, but I still don't quite trust it, just because of the massive difference in stiffness between the two. Also, the first time you remove it, you will accidentally squeeze too hard and re-enact the prom scene from Carrie all over your hand.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I looooooooove the soft :3:

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

slinkimalinki posted:

This could just be me, but I find it's a lot easier to get it all the way open when I have my period than when I don't

I've heard this, unfortunately I just got done with mine so I have to wait a whole month. Thread title strikes again!

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007
look through a faithless eye; are you afraid to die?

luscious posted:

I looooooooove the soft :3:

I just ordered my first cup on Thursday night, a MeLuna soft. I hope it's good for first timers. It definitely won't get here in time for my next period in about a week. Between the 3-5 business days for the PayPal e-check to clear and having to ship from Germany to California, I'll probably get it a couple weeks after. I've already had two dreams about it since ordering :psyduck:

Also it's blue, and if I get a second one I'll give it to my twin sister for Christmas or something :ssh:

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

evelynevvie posted:

I'm having some problems with my diva cup. I am on the Nuvaring which is wonderful, it limits my hell periods to 3-4 days instead of 2-3 weeks, but they are still heavy and awful. I am just finishing up my period and I had 2 really bad accidents with the cup. One, I woke up and realized it was overflowing, and then yesterday I got to work after having it in for about an hour and a half or so and it was totally full and I made a huge mess when I removed it (it looked like someone slaughtered a small goat in the stall). Is there another cup that maybe has a little higher capacity than the small diva? I get having to take it out more often if my flow is super heavy but yesterday I was on the bus for an hour and couldn't do it. Sometimes I just can't get to the bathroom.

Welcome to the "I love my diva cup, but isn't there something bigger so I don't have to dump it every 20 minutes?" club!

The two with higher capacities than the diva are a newer one called yuuki and the fleurcup. BUT everyone measures capacity different! Some measure to the tippy-top, some measure to the airholes. Yuuki has a higher capacity to the top, but fleur has a higher capacity to the airholes.

You've also got to keep in mind length if you're a gal with a lower cervix. If you *have* to flip your diva inside out to get it to work, you'll want the fleur- which is the same length as the diva. The yuuki is .5cm longer which could be a dealbreaker for a low cervix.

Another thing to mention is that the yuuki gives you both a small and a large cup for the same price. However, us super heavy flow ladies couldn't use a small if we wanted to. Well. We could. But we'd be dumping every 10 minutes. I don't know about you, but I get sore just with dumping every 2 hours :(

So, those are your options if you are looking for a cup with higher capacity.

Personally, I went with the fleurcup. I haven't gotten it yet, though. They took my money on the same day I ordered it through paypal but I haven't even gotten a confirmation shipping email or anything from them yet. Those crazy french people. The yuuki is from Czechoslovakia I think, so it won't be any easier with that one either I'm guessing.

e: Fixed some pretty awful grammar. My brain is in hibernation mode lately!

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 26, 2011

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
Diva Cup user here; I just bought one Saturday, and I LOVE it! Hated the price though...$45 Canadian here. NEVER using tampons again, except for emergencies. I didn't have any problems with insertion either, and I'm pretty small down there. The first time I used it though, it wasn't open all the way, and when I stood up, it popped open and it was the weirdest feeling ever.

Now to convert friends! :D

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

well, realistically 45$ Canadian really isn't that much. That's like, four boxes of tampons.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010

luscious posted:

well, realistically 45$ Canadian really isn't that much. That's like, four boxes of tampons.

Yeah, I realize how much less tampon waste there is as well as lower cost compared to buying tampons...just the OP said between $15 to $40 but I didn't expect it to be on the high end.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

The Peacock posted:

Yeah, I realize how much less tampon waste there is as well as lower cost compared to buying tampons...just the OP said between $15 to $40 but I didn't expect it to be on the high end.

I hear you... I wish that the MeLuna wasn't so much after shipping. I got 4 cups instead of just 2 though. So it basically worked out to 10$/cup. It's well worth it though :)

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Well, turns out the drawback with the sparkling MeLuna is that visiting four year-olds will find it in your room and bring it into the living room to show everyone.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

slinkimalinki posted:

Well, turns out the drawback with the sparkling MeLuna is that visiting four year-olds will find it in your room and bring it into the living room to show everyone.

That isn't a drawback, that is great marketing!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Extra points if it was sparkle.

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008
Can any of you gals who've ordered from MeLuna tell me how discreet their packaging is? & an approximate size box you remember that they used? My apartment mailbox is kind of small, so I just wonder in case it would get held at a post office or something.

god it sounds like I'm buying something kinky. NOPE just period stuff.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I don't remember exactly what the packaging was like, but I can assure you there were no bright pink letters proclaiming "PUT THIS IN YOUR VAGINA!" Or if there were, they were in German. ;)

It was discrete, is what I'm saying. And I don't remember the packaging being bigger than was needed to ship the product.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

humanROBOT posted:

Can any of you gals who've ordered from MeLuna tell me how discreet their packaging is? & an approximate size box you remember that they used? My apartment mailbox is kind of small, so I just wonder in case it would get held at a post office or something.

Mine held three cups and was very small, like probably 6" square. No bigger than it needed to be. And from the label, all you could tell was that I got something from Germany.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Peacock posted:

Diva Cup user here; I just bought one Saturday, and I LOVE it! Hated the price though...$45 Canadian here. NEVER using tampons again, except for emergencies. I didn't have any problems with insertion either, and I'm pretty small down there. The first time I used it though, it wasn't open all the way, and when I stood up, it popped open and it was the weirdest feeling ever.

Now to convert friends! :D

Earlier in the thread I mentioned I spent $40 a month on tampons. American. I'm totally getting a couple different brand cups when I'm back in the states just to try them out. I want something sparkly.

But really, since February I've only had one "oh, dear god" moment when I dropped my cup in a home toilet. I ew'ed my way through it, got it cleaned up and everything was lovely again.

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't remember exactly what the packaging was like, but I can assure you there were no bright pink letters proclaiming "PUT THIS IN YOUR VAGINA!" Or if there were, they were in German. ;)

I kind of wish it said this now. Sparkly pink letters.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

humanROBOT posted:

It comes in a small padded brown envelope with a shitload of German text on it. There's no way anyone would know what is inside the package even if they are a native German speaker and it's definitely small enough to fit in a mail box (even those tiny rear end apartment ones).

Wee my black Meluna came, yet again with a free small soft cup. The texture of the black ones is totally different from the rest and kinda weird to be honest. Oh well whatever I can have a super :black101: vagina now, hooray! I also ordered one of those collapsible containers for sterilizing the cups so I don't have to make a dedicated pot or anything. It's pretty nifty and is also good for storing the cups when they aren't in use.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009
Okay, so it's my second day using the small Divacup. It's super comfy and after a little practice I got it in proper, and I was able to wear it 6 or so hours (I wore a pad just in case, as a new user) before it started leaking. This morning I woke up and it had overflowed :gonk: but again, I had a pad, so that took care of the spillover. Oh, and I'm also having a bit of difficulty spinning it 180 degrees.

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008
ahh good :) I still don't know the procedure for "oversized" packages at my apartment, if they get held somewhere or the landlord holds them and delivers them or what so I wanted to be prepared. I've been holding off on ordering one because the day I started seriously considering a cup I had just bought a full box of tampons .. doy :doh:

Thanks a heap ladies :) Maybe if I order right away it'll get here "right on time"

coop52
May 10, 2009

I got my Meluna (soft M) yesterday. They even threw in a classic L! I'm liking the slight sparklyness as well. But, I'm having issues getting it in. I've discovered that I still have a hymen, and it ain't breakin. I can't seem to get the rim in. I got it in once last night, but it never opened fully. It seemed to form a seal though since I felt some suction when I went to take it out. I'm not on my period now, so maybe that's part of the problem?

minema
May 31, 2011
I just started the pill and I've been getting what I assume is breakthrough bleeding quite a lot. Is it ok for me to use my Mooncup for this, everyday?

coop52
May 10, 2009

I tried to insert it again just now. Success! :toot: Problem is that I had to lay down to do it. Does anyone else have to lay down to insert? It doesn't seem very practical.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Congratulations!

It's just one of those things that's different for everybody. I have the easiest time when I'm squatting. Some women prefer sitting on the toilet. Some prefer standing up with one foot propped up on the toilet or a chair or something. It wouldn't surprise me if there are plenty of women who have the easiest time when they're lying down.

You are just starting out, though. As you get used to the whole process it gets much easier, and soon you might find that you're able to insert in more convenient positions. :)

Also, regarding the hymen issue, assuming you've already tried the usual methods for getting rid of it, perhaps you should talk to your gynecologist? Some hymens are really durable, so I'm sure your doctor has ways of taking care of it.

minema posted:

I just started the pill and I've been getting what I assume is breakthrough bleeding quite a lot. Is it ok for me to use my Mooncup for this, everyday?

I would think that if you are diligent about cleaning it regularly it should be ok. I'm not a doctor, though.

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
I finally took the plunge and ordered the black MeLuna, partly because I really want to know what a Perlenstring is. I'm not sure if it'll get here before my next period, though. I think I probably left it too late, especially with the shipping time between Germany and Australia. Oh, well, I'm still excited!

coop52
May 10, 2009

Apparently I wasn't as successful as I thought: when I removed it, the little bugger was still half way in the punch down fold. Good thing it was only a dry run. I don't get it, I felt some suction when I removed it, so something is making a seal. I'll ask my gyno about the hymen next time I go in though.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Perlenstring- HA
Black cups- thicker and sturdier than the MeLuna softcup, but I personally perfer that. A free sz. L cup came with the order and I'm kind of astonished by how big it is. It seems way larger than my Size 1 Diva was.

wenwillwego
Sep 20, 2011
2nd period with my diva cup here, and its still a fricken party.

Just sharing my experience for any fellow newbies having difficulty opening the cup, my new trick is letting it open as soon as I get it past my pubic bones, then relaxing and even pushing a bit with my kegels as I put the cup into place.

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007

So, my sister called me at work yesterday to let me know that I got a package from Germany. I was super excited, shark week had just commenced that morning!

When I got home I opened it to find my teal medium softcup and a purple large original cup (both with stems, which are shorter than I thought). They are so friggin cute what the christ :3: I excitedly showed my mom the cups (I had told her about it last week and she sounded interested) and the pamphlet since she didn't completely understand it. She thought it was neat and lamented not having that option when she was young, and I learned that before sticky-back pads, women used to have to wear some sort of belt thing that had a pad or napkin running from front to back of it through your legs :psyduck:

Anyhow, I think the teal one that I actually ordered had the color defect because there are random sparkly areas on it, but I'm not complaining :v: I decided to keep both my cups and my sister said she wants to order her own now anyway so she's not upset about not getting my freebie.

So I got on in the shower to try it out. No problem getting it in, took about 3 minutes to get it open once inside. Got out, watched a movie in bed (about 2.5 hours), went to empty it and to my relief there had been no leaks and it had a bit of blood in the bottom, like maybe filled to the first or second little ring at the bottom. I doubt I'll even get close to filling it unless I leave it in all day on the first day of my period. It did take a while to get it out though, it was hard to angle two fingers into that small space so that I could squeeze it and break the seal. Slept with it in and used a pad just in case, and once again there were no leaks in the morning. Thankfully I woke up early to give myself time to fiddle with it in the shower, because it took about 5 minutes to get it out and almost 10 to get it open after I reinserted (had to remove and reinsert and finally got it open the second time). Protip: cut the nails you use to insert/remove, I think I might have caused some minor scraping and irritation before I decided to do that.

So yeah, gonna take a lot of practice but I'm not going to give up since I know it'll eventually be as fast/easy as tampons. No leaks here at work today, checked twice and gonna check again in a bit since I have to pee :blush: but yeah, so far I'm loving it.

Kitten Nightmares fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 6, 2011

Chib
Nov 20, 2006
I ordered my DivaCup five and a half months ago and still haven't gotten to use it. Someday my period will come back. Someday I will get to open that little box. It's so lonely there.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Dying Atheist posted:

No problem getting it in, took about 3 minutes to get it open once inside.

So yeah, gonna take a lot of practice but I'm not going to give up since I know it'll eventually be as fast/easy as tampons.

I found it didn't take long to go from 'ohgodohgodohgod I have been fiddling in my vagina for 5 minutes' to 'insert,twist,done'. On the other hand I do find the softcup MeLuna much harder to open than my Fleurcup.

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

I found it didn't take long to go from 'ohgodohgodohgod I have been fiddling in my vagina for 5 minutes' to 'insert,twist,done'. On the other hand I do find the softcup MeLuna much harder to open than my Fleurcup.

Yeah, I don't have any experience with a stiffer cup to compare it to, so when I was checking to see if it was open by running my finger along the outside, I thought that maybe it was supposed to be dented since it was so soft that it wouldn't expand all the way, while still retaining a seal. After a few minutes messing with it, I could tell it had opened up completely so I now know that it will open, just takes a bit of effort. I will probably try with the original (not soft) meluna tonight to see if I have any issues getting that one in/open.

Also can't wait to recreate the prom scene from Carrie tonight, which seems to be a rite of passage with these things if this thread is any indication :byodame: (and I know it will happen considering I've been having to squeeze the poo poo out of my cup to get it out)

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?
How long does it take for MeLuna to ship to the United States? I ordered mine on September 13th and it still hasn't arrived.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I just saw a used menstrual cup on the street outside a Wawa.

That is not where they go! :gonk:

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Olphij posted:

How long does it take for MeLuna to ship to the United States? I ordered mine on September 13th and it still hasn't arrived.

Ordered mine 9/11, received it 9/23. Someone else said they ordered it 9/3 and received it 9/22, so it can vary widely I guess.

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007

Olphij posted:

Ordered 9/23, arrived 10/5. I live in California.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?

bobula posted:

Ordered mine 9/11, received it 9/23. Someone else said they ordered it 9/3 and received it 9/22, so it can vary widely I guess.

Just out of curiosity did it arrive via private shipping (UPS, FedEX, etc.) or USPS? I checked the tracking information on Germany's postal website and it said the package was in the USA already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
I'm having a period from hell right now and I am REALLY close to buying a cup just because of this thread. I also have hell cramps. (Worst part is severe PMDD but the cup won't help with that if it did I would weep with joy)

I have no shame in shoving my hand up there so I think I'm a good candidate for this.

I wish I had one of these when I had a Depo shot - I had a period for three solid months without a single day stopping...Do you know how expensive that was in tampons?

• Locked thread