Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Thanks, that helps a lot.

It seems like it WAS activator. Since I SBSettings and most of BiteSMS's functionality depends on Activator and what I used my jailbreak for the most, I think I'm going to restore back to stock iOS after all. At least iOS 5's notifications really seem to be better than 4.x's.

I recently did the same thing. I installed Activator and my home button went to poo poo, I uninstalled it and it still was pretty terrible. I just decided to ditch the jailbreak for a while and try to get used to the stock OS again, because I definitely want to upgrade to iOS 5 when it's released.

I miss the hell out of BiteSMS, and other than theming the lock screen (removing the gloss from the clock and unlock slider) I don't really miss the jailbreak too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Older versions of Activator use to really annoy me with how it messed with the Home button (short presses were ignored). I bugged the hell out of the developer and gave a bunch of little donations (totaling only $20, but probably way more than most users gave him), and he finally made the changes I wanted.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I recently did the same thing. I installed Activator and my home button went to poo poo, I uninstalled it and it still was pretty terrible. I just decided to ditch the jailbreak for a while and try to get used to the stock OS again, because I definitely want to upgrade to iOS 5 when it's released.

I miss the hell out of BiteSMS, and other than theming the lock screen (removing the gloss from the clock and unlock slider) I don't really miss the jailbreak too much.

I just realized that without folder enhancer I would have a poo poo ton more icons everywhere so I guess I'm keeping my jailbreak.

Strangely, uninstalling and reinstalling Activator made the Home button work much better than it did before the uninstall. :confused:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

Older versions of Activator use to really annoy me with how it messed with the Home button (short presses were ignored). I bugged the hell out of the developer and gave a bunch of little donations (totaling only $20, but probably way more than most users gave him), and he finally made the changes I wanted.

Most shameless indirect claim to fame I've ever read.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

I just realized that without folder enhancer I would have a poo poo ton more icons everywhere so I guess I'm keeping my jailbreak.

Strangely, uninstalling and reinstalling Activator made the Home button work much better than it did before the uninstall. :confused:

Rule #3 of tech support (after checking connection and rebooting): Reinstall

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

I am having the same problem with my home button. Seems completely unresponsive but if I double click it the dock shows up. I've tried re-installinga activator and it seemed to help for about 48 hours before it went back to non-responsive mode.

I just love SBsettings so much I'm willing to put up with it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love not being jailbroken anymore but having "Games 1" and "Games 2" kinda sucks. Thankfully everything else that needs to be in folders can fit in one.

I have gotten a lot better at deleting apps I no longer use so I keep my home screen to just 2 pages.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
How's wifiSMS with regards to battery drain? Seems like it would drain it a little bit since it's not push based.

EDIT: Nvm, it seems that it doesn't keep a wi-fi connection when your phone is locked so it shouldn't really affect standby battery life. I see that the interval can be changed.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 30, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know it's just hitting today, but if nothing has changed, do we know (think?) iOS5 GM is Jailbreakable immediately/soon?

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
This may be a dumb question, but what's the best upgrade path from jailbroken iOS 4 to non-JB iOS 5? I'd like to get as much JB cruft out of there as possible, but still keep things like SMS messages, app settings, etc. intact.

Thinking if I just install iOS 5 as a stock image and then restore from my last backup, it should be okay, right? I'm pretty sure it'll carry over any plist/settings files from JB apps, but those apps and data themselves should be gone, right? And as long as nothing's referencing those JB plist files, their negligible size shouldn't really affect anything.

Is there a better way, or am I totally overthinking this?

Edit: \/\/ Sweet, thanks!

lousy hat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I believe you got it. Settings are kept but the data itself is gone though I would remove as much manually as you can to avoid issues.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0 final is already out.

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/121316307458195456

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5

quote:

@MuscleNerd
redsn0w is.gd/6eek4Y can already tether JB 5.0GM (select beta7 IPSW for now though, til update) is.gd/SXCEi4

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Hello friendly people. My roommate wants to upgrade from the 3GS to the 4S now that it's been announced. Is it possible to jailbreak the 3GS after the upgrade, for the purpose of turning it into an "iPod Touch" of sorts?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0 final is already out.

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/121316307458195456

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5

loving fantastic. Guess I'll be doing this tonight.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Can someone installing a tethered 5.0 jailbreak via redsn0w confirm that the process is the same as the crossed out process in the op? If it is, I'll uncross that and mark it to be used for tethered jailbreaks; if it's different, please tell me where it's different so I can make the relevant changes.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Mo0 posted:

Hello friendly people. My roommate wants to upgrade from the 3GS to the 4S now that it's been announced. Is it possible to jailbreak the 3GS after the upgrade, for the purpose of turning it into an "iPod Touch" of sorts?

It will say "Please insert SIM card" at the lock screen or "Waiting for activation" if you have a junk SIM inserted already, but it should work just the same otherwise.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Zorilla posted:

It will say "Please insert SIM card" at the lock screen or "Waiting for activation" if you have a junk SIM inserted already, but it should work just the same otherwise.

Oh, neat. And he can do the jailbreak without a SIM card in there, right?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Mo0 posted:

Oh, neat. And he can do the jailbreak without a SIM card in there, right?

To the best of my knowledge, you shouldn't have any problems. I've always had one or two expired SIMs laying around from prepaid use, so I usually used those, but you shouldn't run into any difficulties without one.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Awesome, thanks! That's a much more fun/cheaper alternative to an iPod touch, then. :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm getting error 3194 when trying to do a restore. I have jailbroken before and literally everything online says to delete the apple lines from your hosts file. I literally have an empty hosts file, fresh reboot, fresh installation of latest iTunes, but am still loving getting it. Is there anything else this error could possibly mean? I'm out of ideas here.

Tiny Umbrella doesn't work on either of my Win7x64 computers either (even though this would just modify the hosts file). It gets a NullPointer exception and dies when I try to load it up, even with the latest JREs from java.com.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm getting error 3194 when trying to do a restore. I have jailbroken before and literally everything online says to delete the apple lines from your hosts file. I literally have an empty hosts file, fresh reboot, fresh installation of latest iTunes, but am still loving getting it. Is there anything else this error could possibly mean? I'm out of ideas here.

Tiny Umbrella doesn't work on either of my Win7x64 computers either (even though this would just modify the hosts file). It gets a NullPointer exception and dies when I try to load it up, even with the latest JREs from java.com.

Have you used iFaith at any point in the past? I'm 99% sure it caused my old iPad to go into a DFU loop when I last reinstalled iOS.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nope, not really sure what that is. I've only jailbroken my iPhone4 and my girlfriends iPhone 3GS before with the dev team tools. I've never actually downgraded my firmware either, so I never had a reason to edit my hosts file.

edit: Figured it out. Guess you have to be in DFU to restore. I was just trying to shift-click Restore before with no DFU. Oops.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 5, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Does redsn0w preserve baseband like PwnageTool does? What's the difference between these two anyway?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A jailbroken iPhone makes the news and downloads of iGotYa go into the stratosphere..

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-suspect-wanted-in-iphone-robbery,0,36127.story

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

A jailbroken iPhone makes the news and downloads of iGotYa go into the stratosphere..

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-suspect-wanted-in-iphone-robbery,0,36127.story
Pretty clever marketing tactic if you're down with filing a phony police report and have got a buddy at the local news.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
I just find it hard to believe that the police would give a poo poo and expend any effort to find a stolen iPhone even if a picture was provided.

Here in San Jose the police staff has been cut so deeply due to budget issues that they have pretty much flat out stated that they cannot investigate any property crimes that are less than $20K.

Iced
Jun 18, 2009

Sometimes I eat in Jeff's car.

Don't tell him.

I don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet, but i-Funbox is amazing. It's an App/File Manager that just works, out of the box too.

The reason I'm posting it in the Jailbreak thread is that it totally saved my phone when I installed a bogus Cydia app that made my phone always hang on boot. I was able to access the files by plugging it through USB (SSH wasn't working) and manually deleting the app files. Very handy .exe to have lying around.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For anyone with a Retina device updating to 5.0 GM, don't install Activator or anything that requires it, like SB Settings.

Apparently it's not completely compatible with 5.0 yet and you'll get some weird thing happening where all your apps will open up using only 1/4 of the screen, with not all of it being tappable either. I had to go into safe mode and uninstall Activator to get everything working again.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For anyone with a Retina device updating to 5.0 GM, don't install Activator or anything that requires it, like SB Settings.

Apparently it's not completely compatible with 5.0 yet and you'll get some weird thing happening where all your apps will open up using only 1/4 of the screen, with not all of it being tappable either. I had to go into safe mode and uninstall Activator to get everything working again.

If you add http://thebigboss.org/ios5beta to your sources you can get the new betas for those and more. SBSettings for iOS 5 is awesome:

I forgot how great biteSMS was. Everything is still a bit finicky and there are still things that just don't work, but it is great to be jailbroken again.

edit: Also PreferenceLoader isn't updated for iOS 5 yet so you have to edit some plist files to get JB app settings in Settings.app

Kazy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 7, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Man I really hope that the 4S isn't problematic when it comes to being jailbroken; I really don't want to give up FolderEnhancer, BiteSMS or SBSettings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just jailbroke using the latest Redsn0w. Tethering and "working" from what I can tell. Both the Phone and Text Google Voice Extensions are working... as long as you had them previously installed and restored to a backup when updating to the 5.0 GM. This is because the apps don't show up under Settings yet so you can't change anything about them. But I just did a test call and text and both went through Google just fine. The text extension also re-directed incoming texts to the SMS app.

So loving yay! That's all I really need from a jailbreak so I'll hold off from everything else for now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So you need beta7 ipsw to jailbreak the 5.0GM? I'm trying to do my iPad right now and it tells me the fingerprint isn't supported or something.

e: Oh no wait, I had an old version of Red.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 7, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Musclenerd is tweeting that whoever owned the domain jailbreakme.com has sold it, and it isn't in control of the iPhone dev team. So, I guess watch out for that? It could pretty easily be used for malware, but I seriously doubt people here would be fooled.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

EC posted:

Musclenerd is tweeting that whoever owned the domain jailbreakme.com has sold it, and it isn't in control of the iPhone dev team. So, I guess watch out for that? It could pretty easily be used for malware, but I seriously doubt people here would be fooled.

Something like that happened with the Shareaza.com domain. Someone trusted to control it ended up selling it and bailed, leaving the developers without a site. Now it's a lovely/misleading site from some company that pushes P2P poo poo apps that are all clones of each other (shareaza.com downloads the same poo poo app as bearshare.com, etc). (http://shareaza.sourceforge.net/ is the real Shareaza).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jailbroken iOS 5 and running BiteSMS and SBSettings in beta.

Do not try to install anything that fucks about with the icons like Infinifolders; the ubiquitous IconSupport (only visible in dev mode) crashes hard.

Five Icon dock works though. I'm mostly looking forward to see how LockInfo integrates with the new notifications. I don't trust the alpha.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Any way to hide icon labels in iOS 5 yet? I've gone years without them now, so it looks noisy :D Thanks.

Edit: How are you getting SBSettings to show up in the notifications screen? I'm not seeing that widget or setting anywhere.
Edit 2: Neeevermind I forgot that it would be deactivated in the notification settings.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 8, 2011

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Kazy posted:

If you add http://thebigboss.org/ios5beta to your sources you can get the new betas for those and more. SBSettings for iOS 5 is awesome:

I forgot how great biteSMS was. Everything is still a bit finicky and there are still things that just don't work, but it is great to be jailbroken again.

edit: Also PreferenceLoader isn't updated for iOS 5 yet so you have to edit some plist files to get JB app settings in Settings.app

Oh hey, cool. I was using UISettings, but the icons kind of blow. Do the old SBSettings themes still work?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Honestly I'd almost prefer a tweak to notification center that would allow marking emails as read and dismissing notification badges over a straight-up same-old-LockInfo. BiteSMS already brings up quick reply if you tap the notification center item for an SMS. Really, a way to do all that from the pulldown and allow the pulldown on the Lockscreen would almost be perfect.

I mean I still like LockInfo a lot but tweaks to built-in system stuff appeals to me more I guess.

manero posted:

Oh hey, cool. I was using UISettings, but the icons kind of blow. Do the old SBSettings themes still work?

Yeah, as far as I can tell it comes with its default themes and they still work. I'm using Serious SBSettings with it right now.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Fortis posted:

Honestly I'd almost prefer a tweak to notification center that would allow marking emails as read and dismissing notification badges over a straight-up same-old-LockInfo. BiteSMS already brings up quick reply if you tap the notification center item for an SMS. Really, a way to do all that from the pulldown and allow the pulldown on the Lockscreen would almost be perfect.

I mean I still like LockInfo a lot but tweaks to built-in system stuff appeals to me more I guess.

Yeah, as far as I can tell it comes with its default themes and they still work. I'm using Serious SBSettings with it right now.

Excellent, excellent. Serious really is the best theme. Got it running now, and it's still a bit rough but it's definitely workable. Hooray!

Edit: Uhh what the hell, I rebooted and now when I go into Settings, the screen scales down to 1/4 size anchored on the top left. I can use the phone, but the graphics are literally 1/4 of the size they should be. ABORT ABORT.

Oh god every app does this. This is kind of hilarious.

manero fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

manero posted:

Excellent, excellent. Serious really is the best theme. Got it running now, and it's still a bit rough but it's definitely workable. Hooray!

Edit: Uhh what the hell, I rebooted and now when I go into Settings, the screen scales down to 1/4 size anchored on the top left. I can use the phone, but the graphics are literally 1/4 of the size they should be. ABORT ABORT.

Oh god every app does this. This is kind of hilarious.

Did you add the iOS5 beta repository? There was someone just a few posts above who had the same problem with the normal versions.

Honestly, the only thing I miss LockInfo for now is weather on the lock screen. If there was just an app that did only that, but kept Apple's notifications, this would be perfect.

• Locked thread