Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is a dumb question, but:

Do you think mermaids existed before the great transformation, or do you think the stories a dad told his daughter created them?

I think of the entire island as a Schrödinger's Cat type of deal. Had they arrived before Fantasia manifested, the, er, waveform would have collapsed into a regular fishing village, worshiping the old gods on the side. With a loony outcast girl whose mother's death/disappearance was explained away with "mermaids" by her father.

Mermaids definitely existed before, but we don't have any idea as for how often their realm aligned with the human world pre-Fantasia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Ulio posted:

Yes I just noticed the considerable back story and detail difference just in the first chapter and the first episode. Will continue with the manga, definitively.

e: at least I got to listen to Gat's theme, such beauty.

Is there a way to get my hands on the soundtrack?

Metamucil
May 10, 2011

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Is there a way to get my hands on the soundtrack?

Just google "Berserk OST"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There was SOME mythical stuff in the world before Griffith's world merging Ganishka tree fun times like Puck existing and the witches being around. So there being a couple of mermaids around the island, one which could be Isma's mom, makes sense.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
and now that worlds are merged you have a whole new ecology of creatures born out of myths and human folklore

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
So was Ganishka the strongest apostle? He seemed almost -too- powerful to be an apostle but obviously nowhere near God hand level.

Also, I guess I don't get why the God Hand let an apostle become that strong unchecked. Something doesn't seem right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hog wizard posted:

So was Ganishka the strongest apostle? He seemed almost -too- powerful to be an apostle but obviously nowhere near God hand level.

Also, I guess I don't get why the God Hand let an apostle become that strong unchecked. Something doesn't seem right.

Well, it seems fairly evident (if not explicit) that the God Hand set him up for a fall. His rise and death paint Griffith as a savior and were a huge part of transforming the world into its new state, just like the Behelit-Apostle was used to resurrect Griffith in the first place.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
From the TVTropes page on Berserk:

quote:

And it's implied that if your nightmarish death is brought about by demons, then you go straight to Hell for eternity, regardless of how you lived your life.

Is this true?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

THE HORSES rear end posted:

From the TVTropes page on Berserk:

Is this true?

They are probably basing that on what happened inside the count's behelit, when he was dragged to hell by the people he killed.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

logger posted:

They are probably basing that on what happened inside the count's behelit, when he was dragged to hell by the people he killed.

I got the impression that this was the only afterlife in Berserk world.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I got the impression that this was the only afterlife in Berserk world.

Yup, death sucks.

Bear in mind hell in the sense of Berserk is the soup/ network of souls surrounding the prime mover of human karma (God, aka The Idea of Evil) and forming the spiritual networks that encompass the spiritual realms.

It's not Hell in the Christian sense, it's more of a colossal omnidirectional purgatory until your essence is recycled.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

hog wizard posted:

Well he did kind of cheat by using that thing made up of a bunch of sewn together apostles to power himself up.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You have to remember that everything an Apostle does is within the control of fate. Just like everyone else really except Guts.

Ganishka was mighty, Ganiskha was rebellious, Ganishka was sinister because his specific actions would lead to Griffith ascending to Kinghood as well as the unification of the physical and spiritual world.

For the longest time we were under the implication that Guts and Skull Knight were the only people largely out of the control, but Skull Knight had a big part in that so maybe Guts isn't as outside fate as we think either. He could be another pawn orchestrating a long, circuitous plan.

I still think it'll end up Guts was what fate is orchestrating to create, not Griffith.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
^^

I think the analogy that Skull Knight used for himself was that he is a "jumping fish". He can break free out of causality for brief moments but will inevitable return to cause ripple in the stream. I just really love that metaphor for some reason.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
alright lads it's time for the 325th Berserk

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Guts figma.

The fact that they call it Black Soldier ver. probably means there'll be an armour version later. Think I'll hold out for that.

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 26, 2011

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Gackt posted:

Guts figma.

The fact that they call it Black Soldier ver. probably means there'll be an armour version later. Think I'll hold out for that.

Jesus look at those veins on his arms. Still badass, though.

e: That was a fun chapter. Now that Isma has apparently found her mother, it looks less likely that we will be subjected to more underage mer-boob after this arc.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 27, 2011

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

That was fantastic. I mean we've got an entire race of breast-bearing mermaids helpings the protagonist.

Wait...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ArchDemon posted:

That was fantastic. I mean we've got an entire race of breast-bearing mermaids helpings the protagonist.

Wait...

In a surprising twist, Berserk and One Piece actually take place in the same continuity.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ahahaha, there is no way that the mass of singing women was not influenced by his weird idolmaster fixation.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ahahaha, there is no way that the mass of singing women was not influenced by his weird idolmaster fixation.

And not by the whole mythology of how mermaids use singing for various reason :geno:

And those goblin sharks defending the Heart are based on the fish that miura likes to eat! AND THE HEART IS HOW DOKI-DOKI HE GETS FOR SINGING GAME

Please don't make this stupid.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
"'Till next time!"

:smith:

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

Pyrotoad posted:

"'Till next time!"

:smith:

That's all it said last time though. I'd expected the previous chapter to be the last one of the year so I reckon we've done pretty well.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Even if we only get two more chapters this year, I think we've still gotten more this year than the past several. Who was it that actually made some bar graph showing releases per year of the past decade?

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
I like how Miura keeps Berserk honest. Guts still ain't top poo poo (and I honestly don't know how he'll go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters), and it's what makes me want to keep rooting for him because it's always an uphill battle for him.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Even if we only get two more chapters this year, I think we've still gotten more this year than the past several. Who was it that actually made some bar graph showing releases per year of the past decade?

We have. I didn't make it but I've linked it before.

I don't think it's by much (either 1 or 2 chapters) but it's the only time the trend has been broken, so...yay.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'll be kinda disappointed if the next chapter isn't a full-bore water ballet, Busby Berkley style.

Then Guts cuts a giant heart with eyes all over it in half.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

We have. I didn't make it but I've linked it before.

I don't think it's by much (either 1 or 2 chapters) but it's the only time the trend has been broken, so...yay.

Aren't we roughly at a chapter per month once you average it all out and take into account he was releasing multiple chapters per month for awhile there in early summer?

That's not terrible by any means.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty close, we've had 10 chapters in the last year. Been pretty tiny at times.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
So if some enterprising soul wanted to do this right they should make a chart with pages per year rather than chapters.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Dr Subterfuge posted:

So if some enterprising soul wanted to do this right they should make a chart with pages per year rather than chapters.

Ironically I think if you plotted two-page-spreads per year I think you'd see a huge rise in the past few years.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty close, we've had 10 chapters in the last year. Been pretty tiny at times.

That puts him on par with most worthy comics from Marvel/DC/DH this past year. And miles ahead of Millar--though I'm unsure if the average fan still nerdgasms over every book he authors anymore.

hog wizard posted:

I like how Miura keeps Berserk honest. Guts still ain't top poo poo (and I honestly don't know how he'll go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters), and it's what makes me want to keep rooting for him because it's always an uphill battle for him.

It's the spice of many of the best action and fantasy movies/stories. Keep your hero close to top-tier, but never invincible. Keeps the character fallible and allows suspense. It's not the only way to do it, but it's certainly extremely functional.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

That puts him on par with most worthy comics from Marvel/DC/DH this past year. And miles ahead of Millar--though I'm unsure if the average fan still nerdgasms over every book he authors anymore.

Even his fellow writers hate him now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Isn't Warren Ellis also notoriously bad for not finishing stuff, or is that the joke?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Warren Ellis is notorious for hating 'capes' i.e. your typical superhero.

Mark Miller just hates women.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Pierson posted:

Warren Ellis is notorious for hating 'capes' i.e. your typical superhero.

Mark Miller just hates women.

I thought that was Garth Ennis... but I have to admit it kind of fits Ellis too, with what he's written.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jose posted:

Isn't Warren Ellis also notoriously bad for not finishing stuff, or is that the joke?

No, the joke is that Aaron Stack is holding up a sign in the background that says "MARK MILLAR LICKS GOATS" because unlike Ellis, Millar is a loving horrible writer who can't write a story to save his life unless it involves pointless violence and sexism. He's the second coming of Liefeld, with a dash of Frank Miller to taste.

Anyways, enough of BSS talk.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

resurgam40 posted:

I thought that was Garth Ennis... but I have to admit it kind of fits Ellis too, with what he's written.
Yeah you're right, I got them mixed up.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I find it increasingly hard to mix those guys up in that respect. Ellis has written so many drat stories featuring meta-humans or post-humans. Some of them even more outlandish and over-the-top than the other "cape" comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any date for the movie? I've been still reading the manga, drat Gatt's is awesome.