Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Laopooh posted:

As far as specific spellings go, which do Three Kingdom nerds prefer? For example: "Cao Cao" or "Cáo Cāo," "Zhou Yu" or "Zhōu Yú"? I'm guessing the non-accented versions but I mostly don't want to have to learn the keyboard shortcuts to type those things in.

I think the accents are actually pretty cool. They give you a better idea on the pronunciation. Well, as good an idea as you can get with pinyin. I'm big into 3K, though, so my opinion may not be the majority's.

Laopooh posted:

Any other things that have bothered you guys in other translations of books/comics from this era? I've done a bunch of other comic stuff but never anything historical (I don't think a comic about star-crossed lesbians in 1920's Japan counts as historical...) or set in China, so I figured asking here would be a good place to avoid giant blunders like "Zolo."

A few random thoughts that may/may not have any relevance:

I don't know if the Japanese include Style names in their three kingdoms works. Things like "Kongming" for Zhuge Liang, "Mengde" for Cao Cao, "Xuande" for Liu Bei. Those are the only three that are brought up in the novel with any regularity, but I'm not sure if they make any appearances in Japan. I've certainly never seen them in Koei's games, but that's hardly a reliable test.

The movie Red Cliff removes a lot of the more fantastical elements of the story, aka Zhuge Liang summoning the wind, and plays down the Zhuge Liang-Zhou Yu rivalry and Shu in general. This makes it more historically accurate, but I'm not sure what approach the manga you're translating will take.

Good luck! Let us know whenever you're nearing release, I'd be very interested in check this manga out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

TooManyUzukis posted:

I think the accents are actually pretty cool. They give you a better idea on the pronunciation. Well, as good an idea as you can get with pinyin. I'm big into 3K, though, so my opinion may not be the majority's.

A few random thoughts that may/may not have any relevance:

I don't know if the Japanese include Style names in their three kingdoms works. Things like "Kongming" for Zhuge Liang, "Mengde" for Cao Cao, "Xuande" for Liu Bei. Those are the only three that are brought up in the novel with any regularity, but I'm not sure if they make any appearances in Japan. I've certainly never seen them in Koei's games, but that's hardly a reliable test.

The movie Red Cliff removes a lot of the more fantastical elements of the story, aka Zhuge Liang summoning the wind, and plays down the Zhuge Liang-Zhou Yu rivalry and Shu in general. This makes it more historically accurate, but I'm not sure what approach the manga you're translating will take.

Good luck! Let us know whenever you're nearing release, I'd be very interested in check this manga out.

Cool, I'll leave in the accents. Makes the names look more exotic at the least even if you don't know how to pronounce them (me).

Yeah, I've been coming across the style names a lot and was wondering what to do with them. Like when Sun Ce is talking to Zhou Yu he calls him by Gongjin. That poo poo's just gonna be confusing so I think I should keep him as Zhou Yu in all conversation but leave in his style name when he's first introduced to avoid nerd rage. What do you think?

When I know about the release, etc. I'll be sure to post it here or in your Red Cliff tv thread. As far as I know it's only destined for the iTunes and Android stores right now though ><;

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Laopooh posted:

Cool, I'll leave in the accents. Makes the names look more exotic at the least even if you don't know how to pronounce them (me).

Yeah, I've been coming across the style names a lot and was wondering what to do with them. Like when Sun Ce is talking to Zhou Yu he calls him by Gongjin. That poo poo's just gonna be confusing so I think I should keep him as Zhou Yu in all conversation but leave in his style name when he's first introduced to avoid nerd rage. What do you think?

When I know about the release, etc. I'll be sure to post it here or in your Red Cliff tv thread. As far as I know it's only destined for the iTunes and Android stores right now though ><;

Style names are generally used to show respect, as they are given names one takes when they come of age. As such they occasionally have strong meanings when translated, but to get into that you'd have to dive deep into the Moss Robert's translation notes, and that's no easy task.

They could potentially be confusing unless you include a translator's note of some such explaining their significance. I doubt anyone would flip out if they were not used regularly, and keeping them during introduction scenes is a nice compromise.

Please post release info whenever you can! I would kill for a legit paper copy, but I'll take English 3k stuff where I can get it. Out of curiosity, can you tell me what the scope (date-wise) of the manga is? Sun Ce was long dead by the time Red Cliff took place, did he appear in a flashback?

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

TooManyUzukis posted:

Style names are generally used to show respect, as they are given names one takes when they come of age. As such they occasionally have strong meanings when translated, but to get into that you'd have to dive deep into the Moss Robert's translation notes, and that's no easy task.

They could potentially be confusing unless you include a translator's note of some such explaining their significance. I doubt anyone would flip out if they were not used regularly, and keeping them during introduction scenes is a nice compromise.

Please post release info whenever you can! I would kill for a legit paper copy, but I'll take English 3k stuff where I can get it. Out of curiosity, can you tell me what the scope (date-wise) of the manga is? Sun Ce was long dead by the time Red Cliff took place, did he appear in a flashback?

Hmm, makes sense. I'm new to this whole period of history and don't have enough time schedule-wise (grad school coming up) to go hog-wild on it but I'm trying to do as much research as I can to give a faithful translation.

I watched the Red Cliff movie the other day and noticed that Zhuo Yu is called by his regular name but Zhuge Liang is called by his style name of Kongming. What's up with that!

I'm working with a Japanese company called DML that does digital releases for comics so no paper versions on the horizon unless you download it and have a laser printer. This is the Japanese version that's out now: http://tinyurl.com/3au69nq

I highly doubt this could be spoilers but just in case (comic timeline):

It opens in 184 AD with some Yellow Turban Rebellion stuff then introduces Sun Ce and like a bajillion characters. It's a pretty long comic (~250 pages) and Sun Ce only dies on page 39. It ends in with Liu Bei and Zhou Yu biting it, then in 234 when Kongming goes too Zhou Yu's hot wife talks to Zhou Yu in the sky Lion King style and there's a happy epilogue. The art is really well done and the writing is nice, I think you'll like it.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Laopooh posted:

Hmm, makes sense. I'm new to this whole period of history and don't have enough time schedule-wise (grad school coming up) to go hog-wild on it but I'm trying to do as much research as I can to give a faithful translation.

I watched the Red Cliff movie the other day and noticed that Zhuo Yu is called by his regular name but Zhuge Liang is called by his style name of Kongming. What's up with that!

I'm working with a Japanese company called DML that does digital releases for comics so no paper versions on the horizon unless you download it and have a laser printer. This is the Japanese version that's out now: http://tinyurl.com/3au69nq

I highly doubt this could be spoilers but just in case (comic timeline):

It opens in 184 AD with some Yellow Turban Rebellion stuff then introduces Sun Ce and like a bajillion characters. It's a pretty long comic (~250 pages) and Sun Ce only dies on page 39. It ends in with Liu Bei and Zhou Yu biting it, then in 234 when Kongming goes too Zhou Yu's hot wife talks to Zhou Yu in the sky Lion King style and there's a happy epilogue. The art is really well done and the writing is nice, I think you'll like it.

The traditional stories are very pro-Shu, and Kongming himself is elevated to almost god-like status sometimes. Regardless, he's such a major player that he and Liu Bei are almost never referred to as anything but their style name in the novel.

That's quite a helluva lot of stuff to cover in 250 pages, [spoiler]Liu Bei doesn't die until chapter 85 out of 120. The battle itself is only chapters 40-50 in the novel.[\spoiler]

I assume they skim over most of the intro stuff simply as background. 3K is fairly well-known overseas, so the characters only need as much introduction as the Knights of the Round Table would in England.

Unless they start referencing obscure anecdotes and poo poo like that, a faithful translation should be no problem. The names are honestly the only thing I could think of that could go seriously wrong, and you seem to have that well in the bag.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Vinland Saga 77!

bondster
May 6, 2007

Hell yes! Older brother owns, coin in the eye :aaa:

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Eh. Call me when the next crop comes in.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest

Rakugoon posted:

Eh. Call me when the next crop comes in.

You serious? That dude took a coin to his mother loving EYE!

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah yeah but what about the harvest!?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rakugoon posted:

Yeah yeah but what about the harvest!?
They worked so hard... what if there's an early frost! :ohdear:
Dammit, I miss Farming Saga already.

But seriously, Canute's plan is pretty neat. It's pretty clear at this point that he'll use the conflict as a reason to seize Ketil's farm while appearing to be lawfully punishing the family... But then... oh lord... what'll happen to the harvest then!? gently caress, this is bigger than I thought!

Though to be seriously serious... things like the coin in the eye really don't do it for me. It's actually kind of silly and distracting from the real plot.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Did anyone else think on page 4 the sound effect for flipping the coin was "gently caress."?

Great chapter. And yeah coin the eye was a bit over the top, I would have been more than satisfied with it just distracting him.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
I like the farming and all, but I think you guys are in for dissapointment if you have been waiting for Thorfinn to actually stick around and harvest this poo poo. The farming to me is just a plot device and not the actual plot. The real plot is Thorfinn's development from being so hosed mentally as a kid/teenager and how he will deal with it going forward. Although I get the feeling he may be thrust into the fray despite any conclusions he may come to.

probably didn't need to spoiler this but whatever.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah this isn't a Hiromu Arakawa series, I wouldn't expect too much farming focus in the future.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eiba posted:

Though to be seriously serious... things like the coin in the eye really don't do it for me. It's actually kind of silly and distracting from the real plot.

Not much sillier than punching a horse to death.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
drat, things are back on track again.

Seriously, people, some good old-fashioned brutality is needed after like, what's it been, two years of Farmville Saga or something.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am so glad to see that Vinland still hasn't forgotten why we all love it.Violence blood guts coin-in-eye and gore!

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Volume posted:

why we all love it.

:colbert: Speak for yourself. Farming-saga was awesome.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The stupid vikings-killing-crap stuff was mostly for the prologue in case you didn't notice! The entire point is that farming>raiding. Hopefully the next chapter will focus on the important things like weather and soil quality.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I like farming saga but I like Canute's scheming as well. In any case a lot of thing are being set up which should lead to some serious drama when it all does come to a head.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh yeah the Canute sections are the best by far I gotta say. Especially now that they've developed a bit of a cast beyond Canute/his dad's head.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I enjoy all that Vinland Saga offers, really. The entire thing is amazing in its own marvelous ways.

That being said: I do miss Thorkell a bit. Like Canute said, the guy is so honest that even though he's a murderous rear end in a top hat, he's very likable.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rakugoon posted:

Oh yeah the Canute sections are the best by far I gotta say. Especially now that they've developed a bit of a cast beyond Canute/his dad's head.

Honestly I found the latter character to be by far the goofiest thing the series has ever put forth.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Munin posted:

I like farming saga but I like Canute's scheming as well.

Seriouspost - I hope these two are combined and we get an arc on Canute organising / reforming Denmark and England's agricultural systems.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Seriouspost - I hope these two are combined and we get an arc on Canute organising / reforming Denmark and England's agricultural systems.

I think it's safe to say that, given that:

1. Snake established that there's only twelve guards at Ketil's farm, and that a group of "40-50 vikings could easily take it over"

2. That their protection was entirely reliant on the good will and taxes they payed Canute's brother, and the fear of pissing him off

3. Canute has outright moved into action to seize that farm land and kill Ketil and probably everyone there

4. Slave Renegade Be A Lurking And Coming

... that this part of the farming saga will be rapidly coming to a close. I doubt we'll be going "FARM PART 2: NOW THEY WORK FOR CANUTE'S CHOSEN FARMING ADMINISTRATORS :> :> :>"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It'll probably be more of Thorfinn's journey to Vinland with his new pacifist attitude, though who knows how long it'll take for him to decide to go there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cbouncerrun posted:

It'll probably be more of Thorfinn's journey to Vinland with his new pacifist attitude, though who knows how long it'll take for him to decide to go there.

Probably after they murder all the farm related characters and put his newfound convictions to the test, thus he must flee rather than fight

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Chapters 70 and 71 of Historie are released!

Looks like the siege is getting underway.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Has anyone seen any news on the latest chapters of Otoyomegatari at all? I've been looking for the raws and haven't found them, though I know it's been still appearing in magazines, and I presume people are scanning it and I'm just being bad at locating it.

While it's not those awesome Mori Kaoru drawing videos from before, here's her drawing things for fans at some event of some kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWBM5Th1uE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5YtWxwBic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRnO8GzEImo

Here's her old drawing thing if you missed it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nondevor posted:

Chapters 70 and 71 of Historie are released!

Looks like the siege is getting underway.
Hell yeah! (Though only 71 is actually new.) This is what I signed up for when I started reading a manga about Alexander the Great's historian.

I love how the enemy generals are being efficiently fleshed out. Between the characters, the tactics, and the strategy, this manga's doing everything right at the moment.

And considering the history, I doubt we'll ever get another prolonged Meiza style interlude. It should be all amazing from here on out.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Eiba posted:

Hell yeah! (Though only 71 is actually new.) This is what I signed up for when I started reading a manga about Alexander the Great's historian.

I love how the enemy generals are being efficiently fleshed out. Between the characters, the tactics, and the strategy, this manga's doing everything right at the moment.

And considering the history, I doubt we'll ever get another prolonged Meiza style interlude. It should be all amazing from here on out.

Whoops, no wonder it looked familiar. It's been awhile since a release, so I forgot the chapter numbers. :shobon:

I'm really looking forward to what Phocion will do at Perinthus against Macedonia's forces! His tactics should be interesting.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They're sort of twisting the history about Chares and Phocion here; in what we know, Chares was actually totally refused by Byzantium because he was a bit of an rear end. He was an effective commander, but he had a tendency to, well, plunder Athens' allies.

I am looking forward to what they do with Phocion though. Phocion is a really sort of interesting historical figure.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Also, while I think of it: has anyone picked up the Otoyomegatari/ Bride's Story volumes from Yen Press? Beyond the dubious translate of Amira/ Amir's name (supposedly Amir is fine anyway), are they fine/ good? How's the print quality?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I've got both and not noticed any issues with either. You can still see the insane amount of detail put in, so I guess the print quality is fine.
And the covers :swoon:

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They're a good deal taller than most manga too. Plus the whole hardback thing makes it kind of a lovely release.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rakugoon posted:

They're a good deal taller than most manga too. Plus the whole hardback thing makes it kind of a lovely release.

Ooh they're hardbacks? I like the sound of that. Definitely going to have to give that a buy.

In the meantime, here's some stuff for you all:

Pariya-san #1 I don't think I've ever seen this linked in here: It's a 4-panel style gag comic about Pariya from Otoyomegatari. I think Kaoru is doing it herself for the hell of it: she tends to end volumes with weird stuff like that.

Otoyomegatari Chapter 20 RAW. Here if you want it, or if you want to try to get someone else to scan/ translate it :v:

e: Also there's no Vinland Saga this month :negative:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 30, 2011

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I'm surprised to hear everyone actually LIKED the farming. I mean, I didn't mind it, but it certainly isn't why I'm reading. I kept chugging through it thinking "okay, soon some cool stuff will happen again. Let it build." I probably would have been a little more antsy if I was waiting for each release... like I am now. *deep breath* Being a Berserk fan has taught me many lessons in patience.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, it isn't too surprising considering the how many people who love Vinland Saga in this thread also love Otoyomegatari.

I didn't mind the "farm" arc at all because there was plenty of character development, foreshadowing of tragedy and drama, basically plot development in general. Frankly I much prefer a non-fighting arc with that to an extended fighting arc without plot the likes of Bleach seems to have specialised in.

I would add though that while I like the farming arc I wasn't that keen on the Meiza bits in Historie. Quite a few characters were introduced but none of them really stuck in my mind and plot/character development was nearly non-existent outside flashbacks and the chess piece foreshadowing part. I'm also a bit disappointed by the excessive amount of "tell" over "show" in the past few chapters in addition to how much of a total caricature Chares is.

[edit] awful spelling...

Munin fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 1, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Personally I'm not reading Vinland Saga just for YEAH RIP AND TEAR. I mean, that aspect is nice and it's entertaining, but ultimately it's the solid writing and setting that gets me. And experiencing all aspects of the period helps it be more immersive, for me anyway. I've been enjoying the farming arc.

The fact that farming has been interspersed with little bits of RIP AND TEAR makes it good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Farming arc was awesome. Really, as long as the art and the characterization are such high quality, I'll follow this story anywhere. :allears: Pretty much the same reason I love Otoyomegatari. Amazing art, and characters that feel like people instead of tropes for the most part.