Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

M4rk posted:

Too good for notepad? Try notepad++. Not an IDE, but all you have to do with HTML5 is save and open the page in a browser.

What I mean is I don't really want to write html layout by hand. I want to write javascript code and use some kind of content creation tool for the html/canvas parts. Like doing flash and actionscript. But I'm not sure if such tools exist for html5 and javascript yet.
Basically I don't really even know what I'm talking about. I have a bit of knowledge of flash and assume this newfangled html5 stuff is similar because it seems to target similar results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

M4rk posted:

Too good for notepad? Try notepad++. Not an IDE, but all you have to do with HTML5 is save and open the page in a browser.

We use Notepad++ for pretty much all the work we do on all our titles at Carpe Fulgur at this point, FWIW. It's an amazing text editor and I wouldn't be surprised to see it become industry standard in the future.

Also ChaosTheory I may want to :words: at you in the future about doing voicework for indie projects, just fyi

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Solus posted:

I'm busy redesigning a TF2 Vanilla map to make it less poo poo.

This level design stuff is hard :eng99:

Do you really think redesigning a vanilla map is such a good idea. An original idea would look 10x better in anyone's eyes.

gr0g posted:

Anyone work at Splash Damage London or familar with the studio?

I'm looking at a Senior UI Artist role there but I'm not sure I want to move back to UK again (currently back in sunny Melbourne). The pay would be slightly less than what I'm getting in my current role although decent by UK standards.

I'm a big shooter fan so I know they made some of my favourites in the past, but I haven't heard about any tough conditions within the studio itself and it's closer to London than most other studios (although still an hour out by public transport) which is preferable because I want to be as close to London city as possible if I were to consider moving back to UK.

I work at the ol' damage

I can say the working conditions are very good, the folk are great and crunch is pretty none existant. Flexitime as well really helps those who want to stay a little later and take of an hour or two the next day. It really help people like me who get-in-the-zone and then realize it's 9pm and should get home (and then turn up later the following day thanks to FT!)

If you got other questions PM me, or something.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Can I come back to the Damage?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Fishbus posted:

Do you really think redesigning a vanilla map is such a good idea. An original idea would look 10x better in anyone's eyes.

while I would its also an excuse to get to grips with the Hammer editor because I'm a noob. That and it's already a customised version of said vanilla map I'm taking apart. (cp_pro_dustbowl). I'm busy drafting out a few PMs to some of the bigger names in my local scene so they can tell me what a comp centric 5cp map needs. especially for Australia's particular meta-game

I'm gonna try my hand at multiple level editors though to see which is nicer. Might ust go with UDK or something in the end though since that seems to be used the most

Solus fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 27, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I keep hearing about jobs "coming up" that I could do at Splash Damage through various channels, but they never seem to get signed off on. :(

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 27, 2011

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Solus posted:

while I would its also an excuse to get to grips with the Hammer editor because I'm a noob. That and it's already a customised version of said vanilla map I'm taking apart. (cp_pro_dustbowl). I'm busy drafting out a few PMs to some of the bigger names in my local scene so they can tell me what a comp centric 5cp map needs. especially for Australia's particular meta-game

I'm gonna try my hand at multiple level editors though to see which is nicer. Might ust go with UDK or something in the end though since that seems to be used the most

Don't ask the communit from the get-go, it tends to be a lot of rabbling and noise. Much like if you asked people "what kind of game do you want?". You should start out with your own concept, keep in mind fun things for each of the class in TF2 (what makes an engineer fun to play in a map, or a demo, soldier, scout etc). Then come in after you have an initial version for ways to help particular areas, this is when a bit of community feedback and playtesting starts to become valuable.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, I doubt it would hold up in court. It's WAY too broad. You can't just get someone to sign a contract saying "You can never sue us ever for any reason". Generally when a contract includes a clause saying "you can't sue us", it's in regards to SPECIFIC events, like a liability waiver.

(Note: I am not a lawyer)

There are actual games industry lawyers in this thread aren't there? What are your (unofficial) stances on the legality of that clause?

You can perfectly well waive your right to sue someone in a class-action (just means you need to sue them as an individual). Problem is that Sony's contract doesn't even let you do that, it forces you into binding arbitration. I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail (mainly because I just wrote an extensive comment for GamePolitics on this, and I'd rather link that if it's out yet) but long story short is that the mandatory arbitration clause would probably be struck by a court. I have no idea if the class action waiver would be struck either, but I'm leaning towards "Yes" for the same reasons as the arbitration clause (there is just less relevant case law, making it a bit murkier).

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

You can perfectly well waive your right to sue someone in a class-action (just means you need to sue them as an individual). Problem is that Sony's contract doesn't even let you do that, it forces you into binding arbitration. I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail (mainly because I just wrote an extensive comment for GamePolitics on this, and I'd rather link that if it's out yet) but long story short is that the mandatory arbitration clause would probably be struck by a court. I have no idea if the class action waiver would be struck either, but I'm leaning towards "Yes" for the same reasons as the arbitration clause (there is just less relevant case law, making it a bit murkier).

You can opt out, but you have to mail them a physical letter by registered mail and wait 6 to 8 weeks for it to be processed.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Only if you opt out before a certain date. Then you're stuck.

Apparently the interview hasn't run yet, but here are some other relevant bits:

http://gamepolitics.com/2011/09/21/how-opt-out-sony039s-psn-terms-service

Tom Buscaglia, a very highly regarded games attorney (in fact, he's THE game attorney) thinks it is very likely unenforceable for the same reasons that I do.

http://gamepolitics.com/2011/09/16/new-psn-tos-likely-not-enforceable-uk-says-lawyer

Alex Chapman from Sheridans thinks it is also likely not enforceable in the UK.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hasn't it been shown that software EULAs don't hold up in court? Or did I imagine that.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Death Himself posted:

Hasn't it been shown that software EULAs don't hold up in court? Or did I imagine that.

You imagined it. Certain EULAs may not be upheld due to the way they were presented, but nowadays this is pretty rare.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
N'thing the love for Notepad++. We use it in our Unity game for the localization.xml - it's one of the few good notepads out there that properly handles UTF8 et al, and it's just so darned handy in general I couldn't imagine using something else.

ChaosTheory posted:

In short: For voice acting, do not join a union too early. Never specialize in games unless you are already rich and/or famous.
I actually have a question about VA. Rates, specifically.

We're looking at hiring the voice for our heroine, and one of our top picks has quoted a flat rate of $250/hr + 15%

1.) We're assuming the 15% is the agent's fee?
2.) Where does $250/hr sit in the grand scheme of things? We know where it fits for those we're talking to, but it would be nice to get a read beyond that. Any chance there's some roughly consistent range for juniors vs high-end people, that we could weigh her rate against?

dylguy90 posted:

Cool, you guys are awesome. I'll definitely try aas Bandit's plan of spending some time applying to jobs and some working on my game creation skills— right now I am spending all my time trying to get a marketing job, and it's causing me a lot of stress. I think learning to make games will be a good way to remind myself of my goals and WHY I am applying to marketing jobs... so that I can eventually defect and join you guys :hehe:

As for leveraging my economics education, that's excellent advice. Maybe I'll look for something more analytical than marketing, or seek out an analytical position within marketing. It would be great to get an economics job within the game industry, but frankly I don't think I'll be able to do that with just an undergraduate education. If I were to supplement that with some years of analytical experience, maybe that would help my odds. Good thinking.
Definitely focus on the game creation part, not the design part. You need to show competence with toolsets, finished projects - not just paper designs. Which is ultimately what I meant, with my overly harsh reply... focus on applied skills, not theory. Have a portfolio full of evidence that if someone sits you down with a UE3, a Unity, a <whatever>, that you can start cranking out cool game design prototypes / levels / fun stuff ASAP.

To answer the prior question about which programs are worthwhile, I tend to hold the view that game "design" programs are largely not worth it, but that those game-specific courses that teach programming can at least be roughly on a level with a CS degree taken elsewhere. On the other side, the game-specific art courses (Art Institute of Colorado is a good local one where I am) can be pretty decent too.

If you go that route, just ask in the thread for specific programs / ask about the program you have in mind. There is a short list of good ones, and most of the remainder is not so good.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 27, 2011

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Fishbus posted:

Might want to turn off detail brushes too. :)

I left them on because there weren't many in that scene.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Ugh, I am soo bored. Since the gamedev contest here ended I haven't had much to do. Looking for 3DS jobs, but haven't heard anything about there being jobs yet. I wish I could have gotten laid of a year later :(

Now I'm going to have to broaden the old net.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Shalinor posted:

We're looking at hiring the voice for our heroine, and one of our top picks has quoted a flat rate of $250/hr + 15%

1.) We're assuming the 15% is the agent's fee?
2.) Where does $250/hr sit in the grand scheme of things? We know where it fits for those we're talking to, but it would be nice to get a read beyond that. Any chance there's some roughly consistent range for juniors vs high-end people, that we could weigh her rate against?

From my understanding, if you're not using SAG actors, which it definitely sounds like you're not, given that you're not talking 10s of millions of dollars per day, $200/hour is about on par for VA work in the DFW area. We have a lot of Voice Actors around these parts due to a bunch of anime dubbing companies being in town, so our rates might be lower. $250/hr sounds in the ballpark though. No idea about the 15% thing.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

ChaosTheory posted:

I thought I might try to get some info in the OP about voice acting and games. Since I have gotten this question before and people seem to think they will get a job at Epic or ID as a staff voice over guy.

The deal is, there are these unions like SAG and AFTRA that you need to join in order to do work for companies like Valve and EA. These giant companies audition people through agencies just like any other acting profession. So really, if you want to voice act in games you need to just focus on being a voice actor for everything else first. Audiobooks, narrations, etc.

All of the games that I am credited in were non-union gigs, and I could not have done them if I were in a union. I got some of my first game related jobs because I modded Unreal and Source engine as an artist, and had some contacts in the indie game scene. Unions make the clients pay a lot more to the actor, so this turns off small game companies to hiring.

My strategy for getting into the big titles is to get enough non-union work so that I am more well known, and then when I have done a huge amount of work, I will then join the guilds and start to phase out the non-union stuff by doing them with permission from the unions. I only have credits in 4 published titles as of now, so I still have to keep my day job.

In short: For voice acting, do not join a union too early. Never specialize in games unless you are already rich and/or famous.
This seems crazy, but there's got to be some kind of sense behind it. Why won't a large company hire a non-union VA? What's there to lose?

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

DancingMachine posted:

What I mean is I don't really want to write html layout by hand. I want to write javascript code and use some kind of content creation tool for the html/canvas parts. Like doing flash and actionscript. But I'm not sure if such tools exist for html5 and javascript yet.
Basically I don't really even know what I'm talking about. I have a bit of knowledge of flash and assume this newfangled html5 stuff is similar because it seems to target similar results.
Ah, well, just go read up on HTML5 then.

And then download HTML5 Boilerplate and start messing around.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

M4rk posted:

This seems crazy, but there's got to be some kind of sense behind it. Why won't a large company hire a non-union VA? What's there to lose?

They can, it's just that agencies are easier and more consistent to work with I suppose.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

I'm willing to guess that 15% is the agent's fee. But since I don't have an agent I'm just guessing.

if it is some quick commands that take less than an hour to record (like counterstrike) then $100-$250 seems worth it based on all the listings I see in the voice websites If it were text heavy, then I'd go for some hourly rate that seems reasonable for both parties to work out.

Since I do all my own recording I don't need to hire a studio or travel anywhere, so my own rates are skewed lower than hers.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ChaosTheory posted:

if it is some quick commands that take less than an hour to record (like counterstrike) then $100-$250 seems worth it based on all the listings I see in the voice websites If it were text heavy, then I'd go for some hourly rate that seems reasonable for both parties to work out.
We're providing the studio (I'm working with a friend that has an audio business), and there will indeed eventually be a lot of text. It's an RPG. Right now, we're just doing recording related to the trailer and IGF demo, but ideally the rate negotiated now would be the same for when we get to the rest of the game.

Given that, what range would you be looking for in terms of a reasonable hourly rate?

EDIT: VV That's terrific, thanks!

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 27, 2011

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I hate to be vague but it really depends on how much you can bargain for. Maybe there is so much text that a hard rate of 250/hour doesn't apply, maybe the person just really wants to get the work, or maybe they can afford to turn you down. Me personally, my goal is to be prolific first, so I might go down to $100/hr or lower because I am able to without going hungry. Plus the number of hours in the studio might be a whole lot of money in the end for something like an RPG.

Now for some perspective, here are some union rates taken from http://www.voiceoverresourceguide.com/la/08union.html

NON-BROADCAST-CAT.1 / INDUSTRIAL / EDUCATIONAL*
Agreement Extended through April 30, 2011

NARRATION (FIRST HOUR SPENT IN YOUR RECORDING SESSION) (CAT.2 $416.50) $385.50
NARRATION (EACH ADDITIONAL HALF HOUR INCREMENT OF SESSION) $112.50
OFF & ON-CAMERA NARRATOR & SPOKES (1ST DAY) (CAT.2 $985.50) $857.00
NARRATOR SPOKESPERSON (EACH ADDITIONAL DAY) (CAT.2 $569.00) $471.00

Here is what voices.com suggests - non-union
http://www.voices.com/voice-over-rates.html

Video Games
Description Time $

1 Hour recording session 300
Each additional hour 100

Hope that helps.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also ChaosTheory I may want to :words: at you in the future about doing voicework for indie projects, just fyi

Nifty, you can PM me or use https://www.onlyintheory.com for my other contact info.

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 27, 2011

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

M4rk posted:

It's part of the contract: if you want to hire one SAG voice actor, all of your voice acting has to be done by SAG members. At least that's my understanding.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
You should be able to get prices from decent (and a lot of bad ), (non-union) people, for less than 300 per hour. That's more than I've seen on average by about double.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

M4rk posted:

A bad reputation? They're in the same league as the Actors Guild and Writing Guild. If you're a small company, you'll be fine but EA or Valve would lose a lot of great voice talent in doing so.

I wonder if videogames will get a union?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but most of the links in the OP are dead if you don't have archives. I'm majoring in computer science and hoping to get a programming job once I graduate. Preferably in game development, but I know that's a lot more competitive than the boring stuff. Would a Master's in computer science help, or is that the sort of thing that means I would be stuck spending my life in research and academia?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Trying to book my flights for GDC; is it worth staying on Wednesday night (awards ceremony)? Are there any networking parties that night or am I safe to grab a 7pm flight home?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but most of the links in the OP are dead if you don't have archives. I'm majoring in computer science and hoping to get a programming job once I graduate. Preferably in game development, but I know that's a lot more competitive than the boring stuff. Would a Master's in computer science help, or is that the sort of thing that means I would be stuck spending my life in research and academia?

A masters will never hurt, but you do not NEED it. If you can continue going to school affordably, and enjoy it, go ahead. If you have more fun actually progrmaming, go do that. Experience is worth quite a bit, too. ;)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
http://www.pixelprospector.com/indie-resources/

I found this last night. Wasted until 4am reading it all. It may be worth putting in the OP.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It would help with emigrating due to simply having a masters and it being in Computer Science would open up other (likely better paid) fields if the game thing doesn't pan out for you.

My Masters doesn't have that option though since it was in Games Art :v:

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
Pro tip: When installing the UDK, be prepared for it to shut down your machine, without warning, and without allowing you to save whatever it is you may have had open.

Seriously. The thing just popped up a window that said, "Your machine will shut down in less than one minute. [OK]" Who the gently caress does that? Thankfully I only lost about 15 minutes worth of work on Psychopomps, but what the hell!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Pfhreak posted:

Pro tip: When installing the UDK, be prepared for it to shut down your machine, without warning, and without allowing you to save whatever it is you may have had open.

Seriously. The thing just popped up a window that said, "Your machine will shut down in less than one minute. [OK]" Who the gently caress does that? Thankfully I only lost about 15 minutes worth of work on Psychopomps, but what the hell!
Wait until you actually open it.

UE3 is like the Klingon manhood ritual where you walk down the center line and people that say they're your friends take turns jabbing painstiks into your abdomen. But then you get to the end, you have a group hug, and everything is cool again.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Trying to book my flights for GDC; is it worth staying on Wednesday night (awards ceremony)? Are there any networking parties that night or am I safe to grab a 7pm flight home?

Hell, I always come Tuesday. A lot of the people who are there for the summits and tutorials have zero time once the expo starts; there's a lot of good network you can get done tuesday night.

And just personally speaking, I always attend the Game Developer's Choice awards, but I really, REALLY hope they've gotten someone besides Mega64 to do the intermissions this year. No offense to the Mega64 crew, but while there might be a way to top the "Mega64 guys run into superhuge gaming celebrity, hilarity ensues" routine for the fourth year in a row, the joke's lost basically any punchline. It's an entire audience of "Stop me if you've heard this one..." "STOP".

(Although I still really liked "If you're not Indie gently caress YOU" at the IGF a few years back.)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Wait until you actually open it.

UE3 is like the Klingon manhood ritual where you walk down the center line and people that say they're your friends take turns jabbing painstiks into your abdomen. But then you get to the end, you have a group hug, and everything is cool again.

Star Trek references in MY video game job thread? Why I never! :v:

So I've been applying to a bunch of places, but Blizzard wants you to do like a 2-5 page analysis of a game. This if for a QA position. I can honestly say I've never seen this before. Do other companies do this? Most of the time I've put in an application, it's the usual 'job history, school history, a short text on any additional skills' ect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I came across a job position at a game company, that is looking for a technical writer. I have some technical writing experience, but nothing in the game industry. My question is this; when sending writing samples, would it be okay to create samples on my own, that match what the company is looking for? This position is looking for someone who can write, maintain and update online help guides and documentation for its players.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I've been applying to a bunch of places, but Blizzard wants you to do like a 2-5 page analysis of a game. This if for a QA position. I can honestly say I've never seen this before. Do other companies do this? Most of the time I've put in an application, it's the usual 'job history, school history, a short text on any additional skills' ect.

They've been doing that forever. When I worked there I did the original Unreal Tournament, I think.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bash Ironfist posted:

I'm relatively new to the industry having had only 2 QA jobs but I can say I haven't seen that before, at least not for QA. I did at one point fill out a designer application that did ask for a game analysis however.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Bash Ironfist posted:

My content and systems tests for junior designers end up being between 5-10 pages long when completed (with some crazy people going to 20 pages) that take around 4-6 hours, but that's only for design, not QA.

gr0g
May 1, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I keep hearing about jobs "coming up" that I could do at Splash Damage through various channels, but they never seem to get signed off on. :(

I get about two - three roles sent to me by a bunch of different recruiters every month, they seem to be the same roles on gamesindustry.biz mostly.

Might be worth getting in touch with some agencies, and get on Linked In, a few recruiters have contacted me through there first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

gr0g posted:

I get about two - three roles sent to me by a bunch of different recruiters every month, they seem to be the same roles on gamesindustry.biz mostly.

Might be worth getting in touch with some agencies, and get on Linked In, a few recruiters have contacted me through there first.

or me