Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
It's so surreal looking through those pictures. Putin tagging a white tiger, Putin looking all suave on a boat, Putin hugging a puppy. Like poo poo Stalin or Kim Jong Il would have photoshopped themselves into if it had occurred to them.

e: got-dang I keep doing that. Here's some quick content, badass in its own way I guess.

e2: Aha! some actual badass content, linked from the Putin thing.

quote:

Symbolic of the defense of Sevastopol, Crimea, is this Russian girl sniper, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, who, by the end of the war, had killed a confrimed 309 Germans -- the most successful female sniper in history.

Wikipedia posted:

Pavlichenko was sent to Canada and the United States for a publicity visit and became the first Soviet citizen to be received by a U.S. President when Franklin Roosevelt welcomed her at the White House. Later, Pavlichenko was invited by Eleanor Roosevelt to tour America relating her experiences. While meeting with reporters in Washington, D.C. she was dumbfounded about the kind of questions put to her. "One reporter even criticized the length of the skirt of my uniform, saying that in America women wear shorter skirts and besides my uniform made me look fat".

e3: Sorry one more. Immortalized by Woody Guthrie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHKjOl9ocR0
:911: :hf: :ussr:

Saint Sputnik has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Sep 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

Pavlichenko was sent to Canada and the United States for a publicity visit and became the first Soviet citizen to be received by a U.S. President when Franklin Roosevelt welcomed her at the White House. Later, Pavlichenko was invited by Eleanor Roosevelt to tour America relating her experiences. While meeting with reporters in Washington, D.C. she was dumbfounded about the kind of questions put to her. "One reporter even criticized the length of the skirt of my uniform, saying that in America women wear shorter skirts and besides my uniform made me look fat".

"Also in America, reporters don't have any sense of self-preservation."

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Secret Service agent moments after Reagan was shot.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I didn't know secret service carried Uzis. Wow.

Surprised at this because Uzis were notoriously bad for any accuracy, although I guess they were popular in the 80s.

Thaddeus Tadcaster
Sep 3, 2011

Meet me under the biggest cactus in town.
Those photos are confirmation: Putin=Bond villain. Even Khirurg (the Surgeon) shows mad respect.

Caption: In this Monday, August 29, 2011 photo, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin talks to leader of Nochniye Volki (the Night Wolves) biker group, Alexander Zaldostanov -- also known as Khirurg (the Surgeon) -- at a bikers' festival in the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk, Russia

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jesus gently caress, talk about two guys that you never ever want to gently caress with.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Is he holding a CD-ROM?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

gohuskies posted:

Is he holding a CD-ROM?

Putin is giving The Surg a mix tape. It's got all his favorites: Abba; Pat Benatar; Queen; The Eagles; Backstreet Boys; N'Sync and Justin Bieber.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

What's with the guys leaning on walkers in the back? Does the Surgeon like to perform procedures on his crew?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

What's with the guys leaning on walkers in the back? Does the Surgeon like to perform procedures on his crew?

Could be wounded vets.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Mr. Pumroy posted:

motorcycles can be dangerous

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Bloopsy posted:

Secret Service agent moments after Reagan was shot.

That is pretty badass. I like to think about how that dude with the uzi had it concealed under his jacket the entire day and nobody even knew it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

That is pretty badass. I like to think about how that dude with the uzi had it concealed under his jacket the entire day and nobody even knew it.

The Secret Service was carrying those to have massive firepower available immediately. Other angles show the (open) briefcase it was carried in - either on the ground by his feet, or on the car. On the ground in the street, in the uncropped image.

This is a DeSantis Uzi shoulder rig from around this time, but the SS weren't using 'em.

Ygolonac has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Sep 15, 2011

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Johnny Digital posted:

Are the roads frictionless over there? How are the guys in the first video not just cartwheeling off into oblivion at first contact with the tarmac?

I remember seeing one of those videos where the car drifted into the crowd and one guy just disintegrated when the car hit him.. just a mess of robe and sandals flying through the air (oh and body parts)

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

How would you like to be pulling onto the street behind the presidential motorcade when suddenly the back hatch pops open?

Attention, Citizen. Back. The gently caress. Off.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thaddeus Tadcaster posted:

In this Monday, August 29, 2011 photo, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin talks to leader of Nochniye Volki (the Night Wolves) biker group, Alexander Zaldostanov -- also known as Khirurg (the Surgeon) -- at a bikers' festival in the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk, Russia

From a few pages back but there's also a nice video showing that event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dimx_hn-Wi0

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
As we all know WW2 is an absolute goldmine of bad-rear end pictures - however I often find the pictures involving the women of WW2 are just a little more badass:

And one of my personal favorites:

"Mrs. Paul Titus, 77-year-old air raid spotter of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, carries a gun as she patrols her beat, on December 20, 1941. Mrs. Titus signed-up the day after the Pearl Harbor attack. "I can carry a gun any time they want me to," she declared. (AP Photo)"

The rest of that gallery and more can be found at http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/ww2.html

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hey, as we're doing WW2 now - you posted women, I'll post children soldiers.

During the Warsaw Uprising many Polsih children and teenagers took part in the fighting. It's estimated that at the time there were 30.000 scouts in Warsaw.

The youngest boys (aged 10-14) were organized in troops called Zawiszacy and were responsible for post delivery between districts when firefights made them inaccessible otherwise.

Older boys (aged 15-17) were organized in regiments and were used for sabotage and diversion but they also took part in firefights in the later phase of the uprising.

/\/\/\This photo/\/\/\ always chills me because they really look like regular teenagers who would probably go hang out in the mall today or something and not die in canals with weapons in their hands.

Many of them died as the uprising was lost and also resulted in the mass murder of 180.000 civillians by Germans so that Poles wouldn't try anything like this again.

Here's a current day monument in Warsaw in memory of those young soldiers:

Intern Dan
Mar 30, 2010

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

"Mrs. Paul Titus, 77-year-old air raid spotter of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, carries a gun as she patrols her beat, on December 20, 1941. Mrs. Titus signed-up the day after the Pearl Harbor attack. "I can carry a gun any time they want me to," she declared. (AP Photo)"

Having gone to school in PA it would surprise me more if there weren't stories like this floating around.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

quote:

Bitches and guns.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Palpek posted:

/\/\/\This photo/\/\/\ always chills me because they really look like regular teenagers who would probably go hang out in the mall today or something and not die in canals with weapons in their hands.

Unless you live in Birmingham(UK), in which case that sounds about right.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Unless you live in Birmingham(UK), in which case that sounds about right.

or Birmingham, Alabama :fella:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Raimundus posted:

Trigger discipline!

Nothing like having your twitchy arthritic finger inside the guard.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

JerkyBunion posted:

How would you like to be pulling onto the street behind the presidential motorcade when suddenly the back hatch pops open?

Attention, Citizen. Back. The gently caress. Off.

I can't remember where I saw it or what the deal was that I tracked it down, but it was a rundown of how ridiculously fast and lethal the Secret Service can and will be if the president is attacked, especially by a large force.

Like half those vehicles in the motorcade are pretty much light tanks with heavy weaponary concealed within in addition to, shall we say, some rather well trained bodyguards. Apparently that Mythbusters chain gun SUV isn't half of what lurks in those vehicles...

The entire secret service is just one big god drat bad rear end picture, the only thing is no one knows what that picture looks like.

Those photos are confirmation: Putin=Bond villain. Even Khirurg (the Surgeon) shows mad respect.

Caption: In this Monday, August 29, 2011 photo, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin talks to leader of Nochniye Volki (the Night Wolves) biker group, Alexander Zaldostanov -- also known as Khirurg (the Surgeon) -- at a bikers' festival in the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk, Russia

Jesus christ, that biker just exudes loving menace, and yet he's not even remotely the most dangerous guy in that picture at that moment.

acejackson42 has a new favorite as of 11:06 on Sep 26, 2011

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That's the only picture of Putin I've ever seen where everyones eyes are on someone else.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

RCarr posted:

That's the only picture of Putin I've ever seen where everyones eyes are on someone else.

They're all "Oh please please don't mess up this meeting with Putin"

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

They're all "Oh please please don't mess up this meeting with Putin"

I am guessing you've never seen respect bordering on adoration in someone's eyes. Because they don't give a gently caress about Putin.

CMingus
Sep 16, 2002
running away
One of the bikers is using a walker.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

CMingus posted:

One of the bikers is using a walker.

The guy next to him is holding a cane. They're all probably on equal footing with any American biker gang.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Maytag posted:

I am guessing you've never seen respect bordering on adoration in someone's eyes. Because they don't give a gently caress about Putin.

In another time he would have led that gang on horseback across the steppes raping, pillaging, and razing every town they crossed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
And we see the inspiration for Genghiz Cohen.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

I like his mobile phone holster.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Raimundus posted:

The guy next to him is holding a cane. They're all probably on equal footing with any American biker gang.

I'm pretty sure they are veterans of Russia's many incursions in the past decades. I found this old TIME article

quote:

To be sure, even these reformed Wolves are no angels. Some have done time. More have survived battles in Afghanistan and in Chechnya. "We've moved beyond protest, and so has Russia," says the Surgeon. "But we'll never lie down like puppies before the state."

Also, the Surgeon is actually a certified surgeon, imagine having him remove your appendix.

Thaddeus Tadcaster
Sep 3, 2011

Meet me under the biggest cactus in town.

Old James posted:

In another time he would have led that gang on horseback across the steppes raping, pillaging, and razing every town they crossed.

Terrifying. There's seriously something about those jaw lines that screams "I will raze your cottage to the ground." Yee...

Content:

A couple of amazing Putin related things on Foreign Policy today. Including this quote:

"Of course, I am an absolute and pure democrat," [Putin] said. "But you know what the problem is? The tragedy even is that I am the only one like this. There just aren't any others like this in the world.... Since Mahatma Gandhi died, there's been no one to talk to."

Though having a troupe of rabid "Medvedev girls" in your corner is pretty badass itself:

Caption: Not to be outdone, members of an Internet community supporting Medvedev practiced yoga in cheerleader outfits on Red Square on Sept. 22. The president is a well-known yoga enthusiast.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

JerkyBunion posted:

Or the top hatch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZ2qvhJGgU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Jesus Christ, this picture made my testicles shrivel away to nothingness as I caught a glimpse of the sheer futility of even attempting to comprehend the amount of menace and dominance encapsulated by these two men.

gohuskies posted:

Is he holding a CD-ROM?

I can only assume it contains the details of a list of people he'd like the Surgeon to "operate on".

Mr. Gibbycrumbles has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Sep 27, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I can only assume it contains the details of a list of people he'd like the Surgeon to "operate on".

Surgeon's out of AOL minutes.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Caption: Not to be outdone, members of an Internet community supporting Medvedev practiced yoga in cheerleader outfits on Red Square on Sept. 22. The president is a well-known yoga enthusiast.

Haha. So Putin/Judo, Medvedev/Yoga. Manly!. I would have probably kept that to myself given the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Totally not manly, having a bunch of attractive women dress like cheerleaders with your face on their chests do Yoga in public out of sheer admiration for you.

• Locked thread