Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Sometimes I think they should do more What Ifs? of Star Wars. Like What If? Luke really did turn to the dark side, or what if Obi-Wan killed Anakin, etc. I'd read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~
I have lots of original series kenner figures and vehicles (ywings bwings atats etc)
Some rare figures like atamanana? And coins and just normal stuff, all loose.

What's the best way to offload all this stuff for cash? I don't really want to go through searching and researching worth etc. Just eBay a list of it all or sell piecemeal? Or should I take to a collector shop perhaps?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Sometimes I think they should do more What Ifs? of Star Wars. Like What If? Luke really did turn to the dark side, or what if Obi-Wan killed Anakin, etc. I'd read them.

They already did. For the original trilogy at least.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities:_A_New_Hope
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities:_The_Empire_Strikes_Back
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities:_Return_of_the_Jedi

As it turns out, you'd get a dumb story.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
He knows, he wants more. Which I wouldn't mind seeing with a better writer cause the Infinities were pretty ridiculous. Entertaining yes but I'd like to see a better crack at the idea.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I don't understand how Han somehow became a Jedi.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't understand how Han somehow became a Jedi.

That barely scratches the surface of the :psyduck: contained in those.

Semi-Normal
Oct 9, 2007

Sex is on, yeah?

Oh, so it's the original trilogy as Lucas would write them now.

E:

quote:

The heroes, including a redeemed Anakin Skywalker (clad in an all-white version of the life-support suit he wore as Vader)...

Ahahahahahaha.

Semi-Normal fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 26, 2011

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Semi-Normal posted:

Oh, so it's the original trilogy as Lucas would write them now.

Even Lucas would be hard pressed to come up with something that retarded, and that's saying a lot.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

urseus posted:

I have lots of original series kenner figures and vehicles (ywings bwings atats etc)

What's the best way to offload all this stuff for cash? I don't really want to go through searching and researching worth etc. Just eBay a list of it all or sell piecemeal? Or should I take to a collector shop perhaps?

Maybe try tossing it up on SA-Mart, hell, depending on which release of the vehicles they are, I may indulge my inner manchild and buy them from you!

Darth Freddy posted:

I was looking for the same things in ANH with the attack on the Tantive IV.

Definitely; you'd think it'd be somewhat simpler than digitally adding eyelids (biology what) to Ewoks.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

movax posted:

In my mind, and a lot of the EU:

Red = laser cannons (starfighter, anti-starfighter as found on Lancer-class frigates), portable blasters, anti-personnel blasters, "small" energy weapons basically
Green = Turbolasers, big-boy lasers
Blue = ion cannon

Proton torps have blue comas/coronas, concussions missiles red, if I remember TIE Fighter correctly too :spergin:

Part of me was hoping that Jorge had corrected the ion cannon firing from Hoth to have blue bolts, but no such luck.

One thing I noticed about the prequels though is that they pretty consistently made it where the good guys were shooting green lasers and the droids were shooting red, no matter the size. I could be wrong since I haven't watched the prequels in a few years, but I remember noticing that at the time. I thought that was neat as it's the opposite in the OT, with the Empire being the ones with big green lasers. Which makes sense since the Republic became the Empire.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RagnarokAngel posted:

He knows, he wants more. Which I wouldn't mind seeing with a better writer cause the Infinities were pretty ridiculous. Entertaining yes but I'd like to see a better crack at the idea.

Yeah, not just a quickly-thrown together mess that the infinities were. They didn't actually CHANGE much, since they only had one issue to do it, so they just followed the trilogy after all and just replaced characters.

I want an actual good writer taking on the task of imagining some BIG changes to the lore.

I mean, how WOULD things have gone if Obi-Wan killed Anakin?

Off the top of my head:
-Emperor has no apprentice now, which will likely diminish his influence since Vader can't go Jedi hunting.
-Yoda doesn't have to go into exile and can help the resistance.
-Luke and Leia then don't get separated, and Yoda can teach them both.
-And let's toss in some conflict...Obi-Wan's guilt of killing Anakin drives HIM slightly to the dark side.

I realize this is getting into fanfic territory, but it's just for fun.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 26, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

urseus posted:

I had to do this years ago when I moved out of the US. The best way I found was the sell the while lot to one person or dealer.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

One thing I noticed about the prequels though is that they pretty consistently made it where the good guys were shooting green lasers and the droids were shooting red, no matter the size. I could be wrong since I haven't watched the prequels in a few years, but I remember noticing that at the time. I thought that was neat as it's the opposite in the OT, with the Empire being the ones with big green lasers. Which makes sense since the Republic became the Empire.

Hmm I think you're right (also haven't seen the prequels in forever). Best in-universe explanation I can think of is slight modifications to the Tibanna gas being used akin to modern-day tracers like someone posted last page.

Ion blasts should still totally be blue though :colbert: I think blue in a lot of sci-fi is reserved for stuns / disables / "non-lethal" weaponry, even moreso nowadays because there's no need to worry about blue screens.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, not just a quickly-thrown together mess that the infinities were. They didn't actually CHANGE much, since they only had one issue to do it, so they just followed the trilogy after all and just replaced characters.

I want an actual good writer taking on the task of imagining some BIG changes to the lore.

I mean, how WOULD things have gone if Obi-Wan killed Anakin?

Off the top of my head:
-Emperor has no apprentice now, which will likely diminish his influence since Vader can't go Jedi hunting.
-Yoda doesn't have to go into exile and can help the resistance.
-Luke and Leia then don't get separated, and Yoda can teach them both.
-And let's toss in some conflict...Obi-Wan's guilt of killing Anakin drives HIM slightly to the dark side.

I realize this is getting into fanfic territory, but it's just for fun.

I honestly can't remember; didn't Obi-Wan leave Anakin behind thinking he was dead? I mean, I assume that some time after he found out he was alive, but I thought that as far as Kenobi was concerned, he left behind a dead man.

If he purposefully left Anakin alive, then it's just :psyduck: in many, many ways.

EDIT: I know they had that whole I HAAAATE YOUUUU DAAAAD conversation after the battle, but I thought that Obi-Wan left thinking that he was going to be dead in 5 minutes, tops.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Calaveron posted:

I honestly can't remember; didn't Obi-Wan leave Anakin behind thinking he was dead? I mean, I assume that some time after he found out he was alive, but I thought that as far as Kenobi was concerned, he left behind a dead man.

The way Obi Wan told Luke about Darth Vader always made me think that he knew that Vader was still alive, but it's really just a feeling.

Maybe Obi Wan found out later...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I get the feeling he just couldn't bring himself to kill him. That may in fact make him more of a dick than a mercy killing but that was always my impression, I don't think he really factored in whether or not he'd actually survive.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I felt that scene was about the only thing in the PT done well, even though the reasoning behind it was so completely inadequate since we never saw them having enough of a relationship to justify Obi Wan's reaction.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Although in my mind Obi-Wan thought he was good as dead, we all know how Lucas loves his little story "balances" and they way he did it balances against what Anakin did at the beginning of the movie. Count Dooku was disarmed (and dishanded har har) and helpless and Anakin killed him. Yet another step down his journey to the dark side.

Obi-Wan has him dead to rights but lets him live (assuming that's what Lucas is thinking). Light side points, level up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Obi-Wan is to blame for every terrible thing that happens in the OT, mind blown.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

movax posted:

Part of me was hoping that Jorge had corrected the ion cannon firing from Hoth to have blue bolts, but no such luck.

Thankfully this is one of the things being changed in The Empire Strikes Back: Revisited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8YIR60Ij0

When it eventually comes out...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I felt that scene was about the only thing in the PT done well, even though the reasoning behind it was so completely inadequate since we never saw them having enough of a relationship to justify Obi Wan's reaction.

The Clone Wars TV series does a pretty decent job of showing that Anakin and Obi-Wan are pretty much :hf: bros

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

movax posted:

The Clone Wars TV series does a pretty decent job of showing that Anakin and Obi-Wan are pretty much :hf: bros

If it wasn't in the movies, then it doesn't count. :colbert:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

movax posted:

I've been watching the CGI series and all I can come away with is that they just bicker and happen to save each other a lot, it never goes any deeper than that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I've been watching the CGI series and all I can come away with is that they just bicker and happen to save each other a lot, it never goes any deeper than that.

That's still better than...whatever that was we got in Episode II.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Epi Lepi posted:

This reminds me. Back in the 80s, before I got the trilogy on VHS, I always thought the bad guys had green lasers and the good guys had red lasers. I had only seen star wars a handful of times on tv and at my library theater back then, so I didn't remember much about the plots. But the lasers was something I could have sworn was consistent, even during regular blaster fire. I actually remember being surprised, once I got the VHS tapes, to see that all blaster fire was red. I thought Lucas changed something because I distinctly remembered all bad guy blaster laser fire being green. It was ingrained in me for some reason. Of course he didn't change anything about the laser fire back then, but I guess my instincts weren't too far off.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
There's a scene in James Luceno's Vader book where Obi-Wan is in a cantina seeing a newscast with Darth Vader in it, and going into a panic because he thought Anakin was already dead. I always thought Obi-Wan left him because he was sure Anakin was going to die anyway.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Mister Roboto posted:

The scrapped Battlefront III was going to have a Sith Kenobi, which would've looked like this:

Zellus fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 27, 2011

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

TL posted:

There's a scene in James Luceno's Vader book where...

If we're looking at the books, in the Revenge of the Sith novelisation (don't laugh, it's brilliant), Obi-Wan explicitly refuses to murder a helpless man, even if he is Darth Vader, so he has to "leave it to the will of the Force". However, this is after he's already sensed that Palpatine is on his way here, so he knows it's very likely Anakin will be saved. He just doesn't know.

(By the way, again, anyone in this thread who hasn't read Matthew Stover's Revenge of the Sith needs to get onto it. I've read maybe two or three other Star Wars books and they all came across as dreadful fanfic, but Revenge of the Sith is wonderful, explains, apologises for and re-writes more or less the whole thing with only a passing reference to the film's actual script, and is every bit the prequel Star Wars should've had in the first place. Obi-Wan is explored in amazing depth as a good guy who's been worryingly dogmatised and is beginning to wonder about his own moral position, every time Palpatine opens his mouth he says something I've never forgotten since, and even characters like Grievous and Dooku are well-rounded. By the time Dooku dies you know everything about him, and most of it just from the fight itself. This one book has replaced the prequel trilogy on my shelf, and in my opinion you don't need anything else to get a worthy background to the original trilogy. Try it!)

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 27, 2011

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Just watching the Blu-Ray extras, out of all of the costume 360's and so on they had the only one that had video commentary; that was the slave outfit with the rather odd statement that Lucas reckoned Leia should be in such an outfit as "she'd grown up". There's something unsettling about that.

Semi-Normal
Oct 9, 2007

Sex is on, yeah?

Zellus posted:

"Belts and straps made from Krayt dragon leather."

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006

Buml0r posted:

(By the way, again, anyone in this thread who hasn't read Matthew Stover's Revenge of the Sith needs to get onto it. I've read maybe two or three other Star Wars books and they all came across as dreadful fanfic, but Revenge of the Sith is wonderful, explains, apologises for and re-writes more or less the whole thing with only a passing reference to the film's actual script, and is every bit the prequel Star Wars should've had in the first place. Obi-Wan is explored in amazing depth as a good guy who's been worryingly dogmatised and is beginning to wonder about his own moral position, every time Palpatine opens his mouth he says something I've never forgotten since, and even characters like Grievous and Dooku are well-rounded. By the time Dooku dies you know everything about him, and most of it just from the fight itself. This one book has replaced the prequel trilogy on my shelf, and in my opinion you don't need anything else to get a worthy background to the original trilogy. Try it!)

I've heard this so many times now that I'm tempted to give it a try. You say that the story is more or less rewritten; does this mean that the actual plot is different (I'm suspecting the answer is no, since I don't think anyone could get away with that in an official Star Wars novelization), or just that lines are rewritten, motivations explained, etc? Because I find it kind of hard to believe that someone could write a decent prequel story within the godawful framework of clones vs. droids and Palpatine's poorly thought-out machinations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Semi-Normal posted:

"Belts and straps made from Krayt dragon leather."

Guess learning the scream was useful after all.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Why is it that every Sith has to go all dark, gothy and tattered with their fashion? For once, I want to see a Sith that looks like a million bucks, tricked out in a fancy 3-piece suit, a nice hat, has a life that doesn't revolve totally around domination and oppression and uses the dark side of the force to just allow them live a life of smug superiority.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Why is it that every Sith has to go all dark, gothy and tattered with their fashion? For once, I want to see a Sith that looks like a million bucks, tricked out in a fancy 3-piece suit, a nice hat, has a life that doesn't revolve totally around domination and oppression and uses the dark side of the force to just allow them live a life of smug superiority.

Didn't Dooku and Sidious (pre-lightning) do exactly that?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mister Roboto posted:

Didn't Dooku and Sidious (pre-lightning) do exactly that?

They did, but at least Palpatine did so in preparation of his secret plan to take over POOOOOWER, UN-LIMITED POOOOWER.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zellus posted:

I didn't know wampas existed on Tatooine or anywhere else except hoth.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JediTalentAgent posted:

The businessman Sith already exists. Thank you LOTF

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

WebDog posted:

Just watching the Blu-Ray extras, out of all of the costume 360's and so on they had the only one that had video commentary; that was the slave outfit with the rather odd statement that Lucas reckoned Leia should be in such an outfit as "she'd grown up". There's something unsettling about that.

George Lucas: Three decades of sexual repression wrapped up in a plaid flannel shirt.

Grendels Dad posted:

They did, but at least Palpatine did so in preparation of his secret plan to take over POOOOOWER, UN-LIMITED POOOOWER.

Palpatines spazzing out towards the end of that movie has become quite an ironic in joke between me and my best friend.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

The businessman Sith already exists. Thank you LOTF

Yeah, sure does.

He's pretty far down there on the "egregious bullshit in LOTF" meter though.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Buml0r posted:

I've heard people say it's good in this thread quite often, but this is the first post that made me think, "drat, I've gotta read that book."