Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008
Finally got in today, sorted into Slytherin. Site keeps going down but I've been able to do a few things. I've enjoyed looking at all the pretty artwork.

I don't know anybody else on the site yet, but my name is RuneSeer66 (I kinda like it) if anyone wants to add me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

For the Greater Good

MAGIC IS MIGHT!

Oh yeah, and I forgot that Hermione stole restricted ingredients from her Potions Teacher and swiped forbidden Dark Arts books out of the Headmaster's Office while everybody was distracted by his funeral.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
Pottermore check in:

got my e-mail yesterday.

House: Slytherin. ouch. JK Rowling has stared into my soul and judged it harshly! :ohdear: I was fairly devastated at first, but I've now embraced my pottermore fate. It was incredibly difficult to not overanalyze my answers, but I was honest. My hypothesis about questions: I said I most value intelligence and want to be remembered for being wise which selected for ravenclaw and slytherin. I hate being lonely and my biggest fear is being ignored which selected for slytherin since they're more cliquey than independent, competitive ravenclaws. The heads/tails and moon/stars questions are red herrings designed to drive fans insane. I'd like to see the welcome letters for the other 3 houses.

Wand: Ash, Dragon, 10 1/4, Unyielding. Pretty ugly and crooked looking. Love the bonus wand info!

Name: CrimsonMagic47

I'm quite impressed with the overall site design and the chapter artwork is just lovely. It took me quite a while to be able to log in. The site was sticky and crashed twice on my ancient Compaq, but flowed smoothly when I switched to the boyfriend's new Mac. I went to bed after being sorted- looking forward to trying dueling and potion making tonight.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Dueling doesn't work, and potion making is annoying. Practicing spells is kind of fun.

I need some clarification on potion making actually--it looks like I only get a small supply of SOME of the reagents from combing through the chapter scenes, and I have to buy the rest from Diagon Alley. Since I haven't found a way to make gold either, isn't that just going to hard cap my production? What if I need more gold later on and I just used it all on lancing boils?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

arioch posted:

Dueling doesn't work, and potion making is annoying. Practicing spells is kind of fun.

I need some clarification on potion making actually--it looks like I only get a small supply of SOME of the reagents from combing through the chapter scenes, and I have to buy the rest from Diagon Alley. Since I haven't found a way to make gold either, isn't that just going to hard cap my production? What if I need more gold later on and I just used it all on lancing boils?

If you run out of money you have to wait till you start next year.(The next book) When you do, you get another batch of gold to spend. This will probably change later on, so you can earn money after you went through all the books.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm in Hufflepuff and terribly disappointed about it.

E: Wow, I don't remember being this whiny about it. Why don't you :qq: about a free game about wizards from a children's book more, past self?

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 27, 2011

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

If you run out of money you have to wait till you start next year.(The next book) When you do, you get another batch of gold to spend. This will probably change later on, so you can earn money after you went through all the books.

I thought you could get more gold by finding it in the chapters again? Or did I just miss a shitton of stuff the first time I went through?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

spixxor posted:

I thought you could get more gold by finding it in the chapters again? Or did I just miss a shitton of stuff the first time I went through?

I don't think so. You can find some in the chapters, hidden around, but it's one time only.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
I got my email a few hours ago but I only got to chapter 3 and have been shut out since due to "overwhelming demand" :qq: So far it's pretty neat with the artwork, will be even better when it gets sound. I've been reading everyone else's posts and feeling quite Petunia-ish about the whole thing, figuring I wouldn't get mine till the last minute (which house is the most pessimistic?) I'm mostly curious about the sorting, but the extra info about the story will probably prompt another readthrough of the books.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

I just got my email, but of course I can't log in because the freaking site is down!!!! ARGH!!!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
gently caress potions.

I brewed my first potion, then hosed it up at the last second because the image didn't record I had added an ingredient. When I added it again, it jumped up two, so that was an hour and a half lost.

So I did it again, and did everything right. And then the site went down, and there was no way for me to finish the potion. I had left the tab open, and it let me do all the steps, and even gave me a success... but it never recorded it. So I failed again. Another hour and a half.

So seriously, gently caress potions and the idiotic way they're implemented. I understand they have to do something so people don't have a cheap and quick points-making method, but there's got to be a better way than forcing you to log in an hour and a half later or more, and only being able to brew a single potion at a time. At least I was doing homework the whole time.

E: Third time is not the charm, either. At least this time it seems not to have realized I even started a potion, so it didn't dock me points (I think), but goddamn.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 27, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Another thing pre-emptively ruined by poopsocking spergelords, you say?

The time limit is enough already, I think.

They should probably zero house points when they launch next month and reset everyone's progress.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

arioch posted:

Another thing pre-emptively ruined by poopsocking spergelords, you say?

The time limit is enough already, I think.

They should probably zero house points when they launch next month and reset everyone's progress.

I still want to know how some people got several thousand points. I've got like...47. And I really hate the Potions game (the controls are terrible for me, and I can't figure out why) so I'm not likely to get more until dueling is fixed/something new is added.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Finally got my email, but I'm gonna wait until tomorrow until I mess around with it.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Gryffindor :smith:

Wand is slightly springy, 13 inches of Holly with a dragon core.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Gryffindor. Suprisingly, my reaction was "Aw..." I guess I feel like since the books are told from Harry's point of view that we identify with him and Gryffindor is the 'default' choice. It would have been neat to be different, but I answered honestly, so perhaps the sorting hat knows something I don't! Most of my answers favored being a chicken, liking animals and not wanting to be forgotten, which I might have thought pointed at Slytherin. But I chose to open the box that sounded like something was trapped inside over the other ones. Perhaps that makes me heroic and stupid, because who knows if it's dangerous (but it deserves to be free)?

My wand is neat though, Hawthorn with phoenix feather core, fourteen and a half inches, surprisingly swishy.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Finally got in, but can't get past the first page because the website keeps making GBS threads itself :argh:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Dopefish Lives! posted:

I still want to know how some people got several thousand points. I've got like...47. And I really hate the Potions game (the controls are terrible for me, and I can't figure out why) so I'm not likely to get more until dueling is fixed/something new is added.
If your ingredients keep getting hung up on the cauldron, try lifting them up and over it before putting it in the mortar & pestle. They bizarrely decided to give the cauldron a physical presence that will block you carrying things "through" it. Pounding on the pestle can be tricky too, it won't always show up as a reactive element, though once you get it to move just keep clicking and it should work.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Finally got my wand after having to deal with about 10 or so "We are sorry Pottermore is currently unavailable." messages.
wand: Pear with Dragon core, 12.5 inches , pliant.

edit: Can't wait to see how the site collapses when it opens up to the public :allears:

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 27, 2011

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I'm in this morning too. Going to take it slow. I wasn't too concerned about getting in early, but with as much trouble as you're all saying that it's having, I'd like to get through most of it before they let in the other 12 million people.

No one said anything about the comments section or the really super duper awesome fan art at the bottom of extra content pages. Now that's special.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
I got in! :haw:

quote:

We are sorry Pottermore is currently unavailable.
Please come back later and try again.

ffffffuuuuuu

edit: It's 8 hours later and I'm still in Book 1 Chapter 5. I pick up the shopping list, it says it's in my trunk, I go to the trunk, no shopping list.

And each page takes upwards of 3 minutes to load, unless you get Page Error/Support Message.

Why the hell did anyone think using Flash on a high-traffic site was a good idea?

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 27, 2011

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

edit: nevermind, I'll stop with the THIS WEBSITE IS BROKEN posts

edit: Gryffindor. Goddamnit. :(

edit2: :argh: stop telling me i've added the wrong amount of a potion ingredient when I clearly have not

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 27, 2011

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
Slytherin...can't say I'm unhappy about it :D

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
Finally got in this morning and managed to get to the first potions lesson before the site completely blocked me out. And I got into Ravenclaw! I actually wanted Hufflepuff cause I'm lame like that but Ravenclaw is also awesome. For my wand I got alder with unicorn hair, 10 1/2 inches, solid.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

UndyingShadow posted:

Slytherin...can't say I'm unhappy about it :D

:siren: dark wizard muggle-hater detected :siren:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Went back a few pages and invited some of you as friends. Anyone else feel free to add QuaffleSickle199

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

How am I suppose to brew potions when it won't even let me into the site? I'm willing to bet it's the people with 10,000 house points that are clogging it all up, too.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Patrovsky posted:

How am I suppose to brew potions when it won't even let me into the site? I'm willing to bet it's the people with 10,000 house points that are clogging it all up, too.

You're not!

They sent out an email to everyone who signed up who had yet to get one today. So a ton of new people are trying it out.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm unfortunately not one of them =/

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

FateoMcSkippy posted:

You're not!

They sent out an email to everyone who signed up who had yet to get one today. So a ton of new people are trying it out.

But my potion is going to brew over!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Patrovsky posted:

But my potion is going to brew over!

It's alright, it's not like you're wasting finite resources on anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

arioch posted:

It's alright, it's not like you're wasting finite resources on anything.

Bu-but.... Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration..... :ohdear:

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Got in, sorted into Ravenclaw. :dance: Surprisingly happy with my wand, too: ash with a phoenix feather core, 13 inches, hard. I did my best to answer all the questions as honestly as possible, so I'm glad I'm not disappointed.

I kinda rushed through the chapters to get my wand and house, but I can't wait to sort through all the extra info when I've got time to spare.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

At times I feel like it's a bit of an autism sim with Harry wandering around picking up random items to "collect" like teacups or a hammer.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Did...

Did I just pickpocket somebody's copy of Quidditch Through the Ages?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It's probably a bit too much to hope for but I'd love it if Pottermore had different tracks for it as well as Harry's - like Tom Riddle or James Potter

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If you add characters to your favorites list, it uses fanart people have submitted as their picture in your favorites screen.

:stare:

Also, I'm the 1,115th person to like the First-Floor Girls' Toilets :smug:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Okay, I need a little help. I've been trying since yesterday to pick up Harry's shopping list in Book 1 Chapter 5 Moment 1. I can zoom in, find it, click on it, "Collect", and it says "This item is in your trunk", but it isn't, no matter how many times I check my trunk, refresh the page, and go "Collect" it again, only to have the same thing happen.

WHY WON'T IT WORK :saddowns:

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

daggerdragon posted:

Okay, I need a little help. I've been trying since yesterday to pick up Harry's shopping list in Book 1 Chapter 5 Moment 1. I can zoom in, find it, click on it, "Collect", and it says "This item is in your trunk", but it isn't, no matter how many times I check my trunk, refresh the page, and go "Collect" it again, only to have the same thing happen.

WHY WON'T IT WORK :saddowns:

There has been a mistake; you don't have wizard blood. You must go back to your previous life and live among the Muggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Well, I figured out how to send an email to the Pottermore support team.

Click on the tiny white Help at the bottom of any page
Select Other
Select What's Next
Select Need More Help

This will load an email form.

reflir posted:

There has been a mistake; you don't have wizard blood. You must go back to your previous life and live among the Muggles.

But, but, but :smith:

• Locked thread