Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

One of my favourites next to the I'm Alan Partridge in character commentary.

Well, thanks for making me completely regret buying I'm Alan Partridge on iTunes instead of DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

ChuckDHead posted:

Well, thanks for making me completely regret buying I'm Alan Partridge on iTunes instead of DVD.

The best part of the commentary was when Steve Coogan revealed what Alan kept in the drawer.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ben Soosneb posted:

Did Johnny Woss just say he has "Alan Partridge" Next week?

Is it too much to hope for an in character interview? His ITV show is a shadow of the BBC one anyway, a bit like knowing me, the whole thing is a bit full circle.

Almost certainly will be, since 'Alan Partridge' has a book coming out.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I love Darkplace so much. They even added things in the background you probably wouldn't notice first time through, like extras hitting their marks early, smiling at the camera, that sort of stuff.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The Fades was alright. Reminds me a little bit of Good Omens but without terry pratchett's wit. I'll give the next episode a try and see how that works out. I like it in that it's a bit different from the usual stuff on but in some ways it's just an attempt to get the younger audience through the supernatural angle and not done too well.

Fresh Meat was also, just alright. Not particularly funny and I wondered why they wasted time on certain plots/characters, especially when the writing is meant to be by someone from Peep Show. I'd say Jack Whiteall is the best in the cast as he comes across as that kind of guy, so its nice just watching for that kind of caricature. I thought about Fresh Meat more than I did The Fades so that's that. Also a lot of the OOO AWKWARD/poo poo GROSS stuff isn't that bad and in not really pushing it that little bit further it kind of falls flat.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Anyone else think it was funny that after a teacher got accused of assault - grabbing/brushing a girl's shoulder - on Educating Essex, an allegation that was taken VERY SERIOUSLY INDEED, at the end they show him swaying gently with his arms round two boys' waists?

Apparently 'side-hugs' are permissible within regulations, but it still seemed quite ironic to me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh cool, a 5th series of the IT Crowd is in production. Apparently it is the last one too.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Apparently 'side-hugs' are permissible within regulations, but it still seemed quite ironic to me.

It was probably a christian side-hug

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Maybe I'm being a chippy northerner, but I've just been watching University Challenge and one of the questions was knowing what Underground lines certain stations are on, how is someone not from London supposed to know that?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

pisshead posted:

Maybe I'm being a chippy northerner, but I've just been watching University Challenge and one of the questions was knowing what Underground lines certain stations are on, how is someone not from London supposed to know that?
They had a similar question on Only Connect a while back, though they only had to identify the lines rather than individual stations.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Made in Chelsea is the best TV series ever broadcast.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Metrication AKA Truth Posting Goon.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Get out. Get out of this thread. You Monsters

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...
Oh hooray, they've commissioned a new series of Lorraine Pascale assembling shop-bought ingredients and calling it cooking.

Absolutely incensed by her "swiss roll bowl cake" which she dared to call cooking, when it basically consisted of soaking some supermarket swiss rolls in rum and then filling the middle with shop-bought ice cream. She could at least have either demonstrated how to make a roulade or ice cream, not cheated on both.

Lots of nice expensive location shoots too for her to gawp at chocolates in foreign places. She must get Brian Cox's airmiles.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
More importantly I just read that Thick of It S4 won't begin shooting till March? If Veep doesn't own completely I'm gonna get soooo filled with impotent rage that I will do nothing about it and get wound up like a feckless retard!!!

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

pisshead posted:

I actually had this exact thought and I'm a Londoner. How the hell does someone who doesn't live in London know which lines Mile End is on? I can't even say.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Metrication posted:

Made in Chelsea doesn't have a BAFTA, does it? But I know a show that does... :smug:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

pisshead posted:

The Tube is a regular feature in Uni Challenge and every pub quiz ever. You'd be advised to revise.

It's not even that obscure. Last week they asked for the only Welsh train station with 'junction' in the name.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Well, the theme tune to This Is Jinsy still sucks. Here's hoping that maybe the rest of the episode won't.

Edit: Apparently BBC3 turned this down after the pilot. I still resent them for turning down Biffovision, but at least someone there has some sense.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 26, 2011

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

ChuckDHead posted:

Well, the theme tune to This Is Jinsy still sucks. Here's hoping that maybe the rest of the episode won't.

Bollocks, forgot to sky_ this. Any good?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Metrication posted:

The advert makes me angry. Everyone on my facebook appears to like it unironically. I don't even know what's real anymore.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Taff posted:

Bollocks, forgot to sky_ this. Any good?

I've seen three episodes now, and I certainly wouldn't say it's laugh-out-loud funny. Or even chuckle-out-loud. Maybe on occasion it's quiet-smirk-worthy.

In theory, I want to like it. The general setup is kind of interesting, a strange totalitarian version of Craggy Island, with maybe a twist of Royston Vasey without the League of Gentlemen's overall air of menace. The problem is that overall, I feel that it prioritises general far-out weirdness over actually having jokes or really funny dialogue. It tries to make everything a bit odd, even down to the character names (Sooson Noop, Joon Boolay, Sporall, Arbiter Maven), but there isn't much to laugh at beyond things being a bit weird.

Even the show's placement is a bit of a mystery. Why is it on Sky Atlantic? It doesn't fit in with the channel's ethos of "show a bunch of popular shows from America", and Sky One's recent self-funded comedy push has mainly taken place on Sky One. The fact that This is Jinsy isn't getting to sit alongside the mediocre likes of Mount Pleasant, Trollied, and the upcoming Spy (can't judge that yet, but the trailers aren't promising) suggests that they don't have much confidence in it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cerv posted:

The Tube is a regular feature in Uni Challenge and every pub quiz ever. You'd be advised to revise.

It's not even that obscure. Last week they asked for the only Welsh train station with 'junction' in the name.

Llundudno junction, OBVIOUSLY

Though only a fix if one of the universities was Bangor (where you can't avoid going through it if you go by train, which most people do 'cause it's one hell of a drive and the coaches are poo poo. Also it's where the only cinema within easy reach is)

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up

A5H posted:

The advert makes me angry. Everyone on my facebook appears to like it unironically. I don't even know what's real anymore.

They like it because it is probably the best series of 2011. I don't know what happens in it or what they are talking about but I definitely want to watch them all do it more. I've seen some episodes more than once and on second viewing it was like a whole different episode!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Edit: bah, wrong thread.

thingfromtheswamp
Feb 25, 2009
Whoa don't rush through the war now Downton Abbey.. first episode 1916 after the Battle of Somme and now we're already at April 1917???

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

thingfromtheswamp posted:

Whoa don't rush through the war now Downton Abbey.. first episode 1916 after the Battle of Somme and now we're already at April 1917???

I've never watched Downton Abbey but I hope they incorporate the 1918 flu pandemic somehow!

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Metrication posted:

I've never watched Downton Abbey but I hope they incorporate the 1918 flu pandemic somehow!

... with Mrs. Vera Bates as the desired victim, please.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
David Croft died :(

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

eclipse posted:

Oh hooray, they've commissioned a new series of Lorraine Pascale assembling shop-bought ingredients and calling it cooking.

Absolutely incensed by her "swiss roll bowl cake" which she dared to call cooking, when it basically consisted of soaking some supermarket swiss rolls in rum and then filling the middle with shop-bought ice cream. She could at least have either demonstrated how to make a roulade or ice cream, not cheated on both.

Lots of nice expensive location shoots too for her to gawp at chocolates in foreign places. She must get Brian Cox's airmiles.

This is hugely disappointing. Her book is pretty good, and it's a shame to see more of this Sandra Lee-style "semi-homemade" non-cooking on TV.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So did anyone see this on the news yesterday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqN3amj6AcE&feature=player_embedded
Jesus Christ. Who is that guy? And won't he have now lost his job??

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I hope that's one of those guys who did the Bhopal apology stunt.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

I hope that's one of those guys who did the Bhopal apology stunt.

What do you mean?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

A5H posted:

He's an 'independent trader' - i.e. Doesn't work for anyone, could be very successful but at the same time could be a conman. In the UK megathread in D&D someone found his website which is pretty budget looking.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

A5H posted:

What do you mean?

They troll corporations by posing as their spokespersons and appearing at events or conferences. They managed to blag their way onto BBC News a few years ago:
http://youtu.be/LiWlvBro9eI

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

They troll corporations by posing as their spokespersons and appearing at events or conferences. They managed to blag their way onto BBC News a few years ago:

Actually they are not the same people.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
itv lol http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-itv-confuses-ira-attack-with-arma-clip

Daedo
May 5, 2002
^^GODAMMIT^^

So it turns out ITV's documentary last night used some computer game footage and presented it as REAL footage of an IRA attack on a helicopter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6r-kNct630

Yeah....

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

Hahaha loving hell. Is that breaking the law in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

A5H posted:

That is the cuntiest oval office ive ever observed. I will kill him right now (if someone pays me 1 milllion) :)