Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I kinda like him. I love it when people speak frankly about things they're not supposed to. Like that sleazeball alkie from NOTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

A5H posted:

So did anyone see this on the news yesterday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqN3amj6AcE&feature=player_embedded
Jesus Christ. Who is that guy? And won't he have now lost his job??

He's not really. He's just being maybe a little too honest about things. He's almost certainly short trading too - he wants there to be a run on the bank so stocks go down.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Sion posted:

He's not really. He's just being maybe a little too honest about things. He's almost certainly short trading too - he wants there to be a run on the bank so stocks go down.

If that's his goal, I wonder if making sensationalist statements like this on national TV could be counted as an attempt at market manipulation...

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I completely fail to understand how a sweet little cookery programme like the Great British Bake-Off can be so full of nail-biting tension as it is.

I nearly wept for Mary Anne when she put the beautiful squiggly cake layer on the wrong way round.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Jo is breaking my heart this week. I'm so sorry I was mean :ohdear:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

Jo is breaking my heart this week. I'm so sorry I was mean :ohdear:

They are all breaking my heart this week. But I think Holly should go, for the sake of her mental health. Anyone who measures out her pastry to the millimetre using a steel ruler has some issues.

Also, I love Sue Perkins and she needs to do a show where she just barges into various kitchens around the world, flirts sarcastically with the cook and eats all the foods she can find.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Janet NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wormophile posted:

I'm not sure but I think that in the episode I watched she had the scariest :stare: face while she was getting praised for her pie. In which case I think this is a good thing.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

NOOOOOOOOO

She was quite marvellously gracious in defeat though. No tears or gushing emotions, just a dignified little speech and a smile. (Also, I think her :stare: face is probably due to a thyroid problem, the swelling around her neck and the pop-eyed look is very characteristic of Graves disease)

Hope Mary Ann wins next week. She's inventive and awesome and a little bit scary.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Irisi posted:

Hope Mary Ann wins next week. She's inventive and awesome and a little bit scary.

:hfive: I have a bet on with my flatmates. The winner gets delicious cakes baked for them by the other three. Come on Mary-Anne, you're the big beefy horse I'm riding into cake heaven on.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

pisshead posted:

Maybe I'm being a chippy northerner, but I've just been watching University Challenge and one of the questions was knowing what Underground lines certain stations are on, how is someone not from London supposed to know that?
You need to play more Mornington Crescent.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Oh Holly, still can't tell the difference between being competitive and being a bitch :allears:
I am eagerly waiting for the moment it all gets a bit too much and she snaps next week, though.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Oh Holly, still can't tell the difference between being competitive and being a bitch :allears:
I am eagerly waiting for the moment it all gets a bit too much and she snaps next week, though.

Oh but she's awesome - she put a gingerbread house inside her showstopper last week. That alone... I don't know if I would prefer to marry her or have her as my mother...

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Why don't people like Holly :(

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Noreaus posted:

Why don't people like Holly :(

Because she's an OCD psycho who is constantly on the verge of tears even when she is doing well. And every time she does badly she kills one of her children in a violent cakerage.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

reality_groove posted:

Because she's an OCD psycho who is constantly on the verge of tears even when she is doing well. And every time she does badly she kills one of her children in a violent cakerage.

:stare:

I don't mind her much, she just seems a bit needy. I think she probably misses having a full-time job more than she cares to admit & therefore overcompensates by trying to be Supermum.

Jo annoys me a bit more, because her wee girly-girl voice reminds me of my horrible manager. (Sorry Jo, but I can't help it.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

reality_groove posted:

I now picture her baking them in the centre of a human-sized merangue

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Does anyone remember that series with Sue Perkins and a guy who was a food critic (I think) and they recreated the diets of various eras?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Metrication posted:

Does anyone remember that series with Sue Perkins and a guy who was a food critic (I think) and they recreated the diets of various eras?

That would be Giles Coren, Victoria Corens brother. I think it was called The Supersizers go... They also did one where they tried to live 'The Good Life'

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Metrication posted:

It was Giles Coren. It was called "Supersizers Go Regency/Medieval/Roman/Whatever".

I seem to recall they spent 90% of the programme absolutely blitzed out of their skulls on whatever the alcohol of the period was. It looked great fun.

^god dammit, beaten

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It was called Supsersizers Go... entirely because of the film Supersize Me as far as I can gather. I still see it a lot, maybe because I watch too much Yesterday.
I don't share the affection of Sue Perkins. She's just overexposed.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Thanks everyone. That was a pretty fun series, was hoping there would be more than two. Oh well :(

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
That was such an amazing series. I always watch them on Youtube and I swear to God it's one of the best shows.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Metrication posted:

Thanks everyone. That was a pretty fun series, was hoping there would be more than two. Oh well :(

I really enjoyed The Supersizers Go 80s, where they did power lunches, Vienetta (I don't love ice cream that much, but drat is Vienetta good), and the terrible dry-on-the-outside-mouth-scarringly-hot-on-the-inside abomination that is Pop Tarts.

Also whatever one it was where they were served a sheep's head.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Thanks for that, watching that series now.

Oh Sue, why can't we be together? I would let you pinch a tart while I'm baking (oo err missus)

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
I loved this week's episode. I'd be happy if any of them won because they've all proven that they're decent. Those mousse cakes looked amaaaaaazing.

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Anyone watching Fresh Meat? I saw it got a mixed reception last week, although I enjoyed it. Tonight's episode has been a lot better I think. Good choice of music too (Elektrobank is always good).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Supersizers Go... was brilliant, and while Giles Coren is a complete arse he is also very funny. A night out getting hammered with Sue, Giles and his sister would just be incredible.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
oh dear, I liked the first one, but really struggled with tonight's Fresh Meat. There just wasn't much to laugh at.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I dunno, I was drunk sitting on a sofa in a second year uni house and spent most of the time giggling...
Jack Whitehall's character interacting with the other guys from his school and getting shot down consistently was predictable yet still highly satisfying.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
They've nailed every student stereotype down to a tee. It's great.

Although I don't get why it's bad to be in a proper big house instead of lovely halls. Maybe just because it's first years.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
The fades would be alright if it wasn't full of stupid awkward kid tropes. It also feels like "dramatic character death" is being used as a substitute for good writing.

Oh, and ALAN MOORE. :rolleyes:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I feel it would be better if all the characters were a couple of years older.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

thehustler posted:

They've nailed every student stereotype down to a tee. It's great.

"Pfff, yeah of course, [your opinion exactly], duh"

I don't even know the name of that character, but she loving slays me. Also Greg McHugh is pretty good in this, I already like his character more than I ever liked Gary.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Which show is this? Supersizers Go or Freshmeat?

e: nevermind worked it out with googlymoogly, sorry i was half awake.

e2: That was rather good wasnt it (Fresh Meat), im gonna add that to my very small list of much watch programs.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 29, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

thehustler posted:

Although I don't get why it's bad to be in a proper big house instead of lovely halls. Maybe just because it's first years.

Halls are great for making friends in first year. I've known people to start out living in a flat and move into halls halfway through term for the social life.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I do like how they managed to transport a young Jessica Stevenson all the way to 2011. It's watchable enough, but I don't care for the weird-for-the-sake-of-being-weirdness.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I still can't get behind Fresh Meat. None of the characters are particularly likeable and none of the jokes go beyond 'hey, let's say a naughty word in an inappropriate situation'. The brunette girl in particular was loving dreadful this week.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

The Great British Bake-Off makes me talk to the screen. I like that it's brutally competitive while still being really sweet and adorable and full of great baking tips! I am a little mad they kicked the guys off so soon, that last one was really cute :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

I still can't get behind Fresh Meat. None of the characters are particularly likeable and none of the jokes go beyond 'hey, let's say a naughty word in an inappropriate situation'. The brunette girl in particular was loving dreadful this week.

Never really been into comedy dramas, they're usually never funny enough to be a comedy, or the characters and situations interesting enough to be a drama. To me it just generic TV characters played by generic TV actors, with some generic observation thrown in. You need more than observational humour, otherwise you're just Michael Macintyre.