Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Thufir posted:

edit: VVVV updated! VVVV

Warrior Hustlers are my shin pads and shoulder pads. That's right, I'm a Hustler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'm 6'1" and I use 14" Bauer Vapors under the tongue. I've been thinking about picking up a new pair of shinguards and trying over the tongue. My ankles look like hell from my skates and I'm wondering if having the tongue less flexible would help them

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
6'4 and I use 15" old Easton Z-Air's , over the tongue.

Just thought about it and I got a pair of the same shin guards in 14" when I was in Bantams, so I've been using the same kind of shin guard for 10 years, I think I got the 15" around the same time but they were too big then, I still use the 14"s for roller sometimes.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
Rbk 11K KFS at 16' and 6'1 height

I do over because having the shin pad under the tongue feels too weird and I find the shin pad actually stabilizes the skate more with it over.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

5'6" and I wear 14" Easton Sealth S1's. I wear the tongue underneath the shin pad. I've tried wearing it over and under, but it just felt right that way.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

D C posted:

6'4 and I use 15" old Easton Z-Air's , over the tongue.

Just thought about it and I got a pair of the same shin guards in 14" when I was in Bantams, so I've been using the same kind of shin guard for 10 years, I think I got the 15" around the same time but they were too big then, I still use the 14"s for roller sometimes.

You must have all your height in your upper body. I have long legs, thus why I wear 15".

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
6'4, long legs, old 15" Jofas with no straps because I'm cool like that. Under the tounge.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
5'8 and I use Bauer XXV 13". Under the tongue. Never even thought of trying to put them over. Looking at the image of "what happens when there's a gap..." I don't quite understand how that wouldn't happen even if the shinguards were over the skates - doesn't seem like they would come down that low, anyway?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Oh and I am an under with some cheap Bauers I think one15s or something

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Habibi posted:

5'8 and I use Bauer XXV 13". Under the tongue. Never even thought of trying to put them over. Looking at the image of "what happens when there's a gap..." I don't quite understand how that wouldn't happen even if the shinguards were over the skates - doesn't seem like they would come down that low, anyway?

My shinpads literally rest on my feet (well, the tongue of the skate). So there is basically nothing facing forward that isn't covered in plastic, between my pants, shinpads, and toe guards. The top of the foot is protected from skates by your own skate (not the tongue which covers the top, but by the sides of the skates), but a fluke could still get in there. That said, in this way you're minimising the amount of unprotected flesh.

The sides and backs have less protection, but that's what the calfwrap is for. If you're doing your job right, the front of the body should be receiving by far the most amount of damage, and the plastic is there to prevent that from causing injury.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Habibi posted:

Looking at the image of "what happens when there's a gap..." I don't quite understand how that wouldn't happen even if the shinguards were over the skates - doesn't seem like they would come down that low, anyway?

Well, if you go over you can use longer shin guards, which will seal up a little more space round your upper ankle, as any back/side padding on the guard will extend lower, and nothing will be able to sneak inside the tongue.

Getting a skate/puck in there is pretty unlikely, though, so that's a bad reason to switch if you're comfortable with the way you do it now. The bigger issue for me (which is still a pretty minor issue) is that having a shin guard that extends too low inside the tongue limits how tightly I can tie my skates over my upper ankle. I like them pretty snug and having a half inch of pad or so stuck down the back of the tongue limits how tightly I can tie them, because the tongue then pushes out on the top eyelet or two.

I'm a pretty conservative D-man, and my game is predicated on positioning and straightaway speed rather than tight turns and quick changes of direction, though. A tight upper ankle is better for power strides. The players who prefer their skates looser in the upper ankle tend to be the shifty forward types who want to be able to move their feet more freely when doing shift forward stuff.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 27, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I am guilty of being a shifty forward.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I am guilty of being a shifty forward.

I've got my eye on you, mister.

Here's another factor to consider in the tongue equation. When little kids play hockey, their parents tend to put their gear on. If you're dealing with a squirming six-year-old, you're going to go for the simplest method possible, and that means skates go on last. So most players who start skating at the mite or squirt level probably start tongues out. When you start putting on your own gear, though, it's harder to tie your skates once you're fully suited up, so that gets moved earlier in the process, creating an opening for change.

I have confirmed this with a highly scientific GIS for "mite hockey".

My highly non-scientific anecdotal experience is that I only switched from under-tongue to over-tongue when I started buying my own gear, around the beginning of college.

So I'd imagine there's an age dimension: younger skaters are more likely to be outies, whereas you'll find more innies as you progress to higher and higher age groups where a) the players have had a chance to make the decision on their own, and b) you have more late starters who don't carry the baggage of the parental suit-up.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 27, 2011

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I'm going to recheck my gap tonight. I'm looking to upgrade to some rbk 9ks soon, ill see how 14s feel.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Minister Robathan posted:

My shinpads literally rest on my feet (well, the tongue of the skate). So there is basically nothing facing forward that isn't covered in plastic, between my pants, shinpads, and toe guards. The top of the foot is protected from skates by your own skate (not the tongue which covers the top, but by the sides of the skates), but a fluke could still get in there. That said, in this way you're minimising the amount of unprotected flesh.

The sides and backs have less protection, but that's what the calfwrap is for. If you're doing your job right, the front of the body should be receiving by far the most amount of damage, and the plastic is there to prevent that from causing injury.

drat, I didn't realize people wore them that low. Mine basically rest inside the tongue, right above the last lacehole. Aside from comfort, main reason I wear mine in is (keep in mind this is roller, where friction with the playing surface is much greater) to keep them as securely attached as possible in case I wipe out at high speeds. Given that I've already had a few times where the shinguard shifted during a fall and my knee slammed into the rink floor directly, if they sat over my tongue I can only imagine what sort of shape my knees would be in now.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
6'4" and I wear 17" Reebok 10k's over tongue. I use to wear some other brand in 17" and they where at least 1" shorter.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Thufir posted:

edit: VVVV updated! VVVV

If you're collecting data, I'm 5'7" and wear 14" Eastons, over the tongue.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Habibi posted:

the shinguard shifted during a fall and my knee slammed into the rink floor

I've had this happen on numerous occasions and it does not feel good, especially on ice. Even with taping. Ow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had this happen on numerous occasions and it does not feel good, especially on ice. Even with taping. Ow.

The worst part (at least in my experience) is that it doesn't hurt too bad at first.. then a few hours later your knee doesn't want to bend anymore. You try and it's all "gently caress you buddy, here have some pain". It seems like it takes forever for the soreness to fade completely.

I have no idea how figure skaters deal with it, those guys are nuts.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

"Not feel good" is a loving understatement. The first time this ever happened to me as as a teenager playing on concrete, going full-speed on a straightaway when my skate clipped a pebble - my shinguard hit the ground first and, what with concrete and all, stopped moving while the rest of me kept going forward. Result: Nerve damage - I have a .5" radius area on my right knee, just above the cap, that, whenever you touch it, feels like it's being touched after having fallen asleep (ie: like you're touching it through several layers of clothing). Thankfully that was the only consequence. Could very easily have cracked or broken something.

So, yeah, that's why shinguards go inside. :)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I had a similar thing happen with my bony loving elbow and a lovely elbow pad, basically just hit my elbow onto the ice from 4 feet up with all my weight behind it. Now my elbow feels weird whenever it rests on something for too long, but again it's so goddamn bony that it hits and touches virtually everything and is super irritating.

Still haven't bought new elbow pads, haven't found anything yet with enough cushion to make it worthwhile.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
5'9"-5'10" wearing Bauer 14" over the tongue

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Still 6'7". Ran out to my truck to check out my pads: 15" Eastons. I don't really pay attention to whether they are tucked over or under...maybe because they are too short for me. Gotta take a look at Thursday's game.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

I've got my eye on you, mister.

Here's another factor to consider in the tongue equation. When little kids play hockey, their parents tend to put their gear on. If you're dealing with a squirming six-year-old, you're going to go for the simplest method possible, and that means skates go on last. So most players who start skating at the mite or squirt level probably start tongues out. When you start putting on your own gear, though, it's harder to tie your skates once you're fully suited up, so that gets moved earlier in the process, creating an opening for change.

I have confirmed this with a highly scientific GIS for "mite hockey".

My highly non-scientific anecdotal experience is that I only switched from under-tongue to over-tongue when I started buying my own gear, around the beginning of college.

So I'd imagine there's an age dimension: younger skaters are more likely to be outies, whereas you'll find more innies as you progress to higher and higher age groups where a) the players have had a chance to make the decision on their own, and b) you have more late starters who don't carry the baggage of the parental suit-up.

I really wanna agree with this, but the change definitely starts happening earlier. It's sorta similar to the sock in our out question, except in this case it has to do with protection as opposed to looking cool. As in, I know guys that put their shinpads inside their skates, but, tuck their socks around their skates (in front as well as in back). These guys do it for looks, whereas most of the players that tuck the tongues in do it for protection (or comfort, maybe?) as opposed to looks.

E: an edit here is necessary, maybe. in tykes (mites, whatever) everyone is done up, the same way, shinpads in, likely for the reasons you stated. But as you get older, the way everyone starts to do their shinpads up changes, sometimes there's a good reason, sometimes, not so much.

Hell sometimes the guys that tuck the tongues in also wrap their socks around the back of the skate, I dunno.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 28, 2011

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Haha I am so hosed tonight. Worked over 12 hours yesterday, got home and had a quick bite to eat and went to bed but could not get to sleep until 12:30. Woke up at 4:30 to go back in to work, I might have time for a 1 hour nap at lunch but otherwise I'll be working until ~6:30 when I leave to go straight to a 7:30 hockey game.

Aside from drinking a lot of water and popping a 5-hour energy on the drive over, any other suggestions on how to keep my body alive tonight?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pleads posted:

Haha I am so hosed tonight.

Runner's World printed a study a few years ago on sleep deprivation and it's effect on athletic performance. They had athletes not sleep for 48 hours then run a marathon. They found no connection between sleep deprivation and a drop in athletic performance. I use this study to remind myself that it's all in my head and as long as I'm not overdoing it physically (working out with no recovery time) then I will be fine.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about, besides passing out at the bar afterward if you go out for beers.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I usually don't get much more sleep than 4-5 hours each night anyways, but working so long has me stressed out and my muscles already feel like jello which is where most of my concern is coming from. Do you know of any studies that compare high-stress people versus chill dudes?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Minister Robathan posted:

I really wanna agree with this, but the change definitely starts happening earlier. It's sorta similar to the sock in our out question, except in this case it has to do with protection as opposed to looking cool. As in, I know guys that put their shinpads inside their skates, but, tuck their socks around their skates (in front as well as in back). These guys do it for looks, whereas most of the players that tuck the tongues in do it for protection (or comfort, maybe?) as opposed to looks.

I don't think we're in disagreement, really. You've pointed out factors that explain (a) which I omitted. I didn't mean to imply that my decision to switch from under to over in my late teens was the ordinary time to do so, just that as players get older, they're more likely to think about it consciously, where as parents usually just tie the skates last and don't think about it, which would skew younger players, or players who started playing earlier, more in the under direction on a statistical level.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pleads posted:

Haha I am so hosed tonight. Worked over 12 hours yesterday, got home and had a quick bite to eat and went to bed but could not get to sleep until 12:30. Woke up at 4:30 to go back in to work, I might have time for a 1 hour nap at lunch but otherwise I'll be working until ~6:30 when I leave to go straight to a 7:30 hockey game.

Aside from drinking a lot of water and popping a 5-hour energy on the drive over, any other suggestions on how to keep my body alive tonight?

Stretch a fair amount beforehand. While you're doing that, visualize playing well (what you'll do in the corners, catching all kinds of passes perfectly, breakaways, etc) . Hydrate (no caffeine).

You do those three things and you'll be fine.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Thufir posted:

This one need a nice, big, red line of best fit.

It would also be really cool to see fit lines for the over data vs. the under data, but I'm not sure if we have enough data points for it to be significant yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one can ever again say that hockey players aren't smart. :colbert:

It was interesting to see that sizing between brands seems pretty consistent.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

No one can ever again say that hockey players aren't smart. :colbert:
Or at least don't have way too much time on their hands. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

Runner's World printed a study a few years ago on sleep deprivation and it's effect on athletic performance. They had athletes not sleep for 48 hours then run a marathon. They found no connection between sleep deprivation and a drop in athletic performance. I use this study to remind myself that it's all in my head and as long as I'm not overdoing it physically (working out with no recovery time) then I will be fine.
But that's purely physical. I think once you throw in a mental component like you find in sports (vs just performing a repetitive physical activity) that lack of sleep is going to make you a physically unaffected sportretard.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Habibi posted:

But that's purely physical. I think once you throw in a mental component like you find in sports (vs just performing a repetitive physical activity) that lack of sleep is going to make you a physically unaffected sportretard.

I think this is definitely true, the big problem for me with being exhausted going into a game isn't the physical aspect, but making all the calls you need to make to get to the right spot on the ice in a given situation. A tenth of a second doesn't seem like much, but it is the difference between being in the right place at the right time, and being out of position.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Habibi posted:

I agree. Also running is a little different than skating and pivoting and passing and looking and making plays and everything else involved in hockey. Part of me says that over-thinking things could be worse than relying on my muscle memory, but I haven't figured out my perfect formula for success anyways.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
also that study had people run a marathon. how many of you are athletes that could run a marathon even with plenty of rest? i wouldn't automatically assume that your average joe hockey player could not sleep for 2 days and then play perfectly well.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If I had been awake for 48 hours I would have even extra motivation to finish the marathon more quickly in order to get the scientists off my back so I could get a fuckin nap.

bronson17
Dec 18, 2003

No dice.
Hoping somebody could help me out with a roller hockey question (I could've sworn there was a dedicated thread at one point but I couldn't find it anywhere in SAS, so I apologize if I missed it). I want to get a pair of skates, preferably Missions since that's what I used to have and I liked them. My problem is that I haven't been able to find a nearby skate shop to actually try them on, so I'm gonna likely have to order online. My shoe size is a 13, and my hockey skates are an 11.5 or a 12, but after googling some sizing charts it seems a size 13 shoe would be comparable to a size 13 Mission - not what I expected given how regular hockey skates tend to fit.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with the brand who can tell me what type of fit to expect (i.e. will a 13 mission fit my 13 foot), or even if I should be looking at another brand? Haven't played roller in forever so I'm pretty ignorant as to what's good these days.

Huge thanks to anybody that can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

bronson17 posted:

Hoping somebody could help me out with a roller hockey question (I could've sworn there was a dedicated thread at one point but I couldn't find it anywhere in SAS, so I apologize if I missed it). I want to get a pair of skates, preferably Missions since that's what I used to have and I liked them. My problem is that I haven't been able to find a nearby skate shop to actually try them on, so I'm gonna likely have to order online. My shoe size is a 13, and my hockey skates are an 11.5 or a 12, but after googling some sizing charts it seems a size 13 shoe would be comparable to a size 13 Mission - not what I expected given how regular hockey skates tend to fit.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with the brand who can tell me what type of fit to expect (i.e. will a 13 mission fit my 13 foot), or even if I should be looking at another brand? Haven't played roller in forever so I'm pretty ignorant as to what's good these days.

Huge thanks to anybody that can help.

This is the dedicated roller and ice hockey thread.

when I played roller, I wore Mission skates and I wore a 9D skate. I wear a 10.5 shoe. I hope that helps. Places like Inlinewarehouse.com usually have a skate return policy, so if you order from them and the skates don't fit, you don't have to worry about being out a bunch of money.

Just make sure you bake them once you get them. That will really help mold them to your feet.