Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any reason why Mythbusters was only 12 episodes last season?

They need some more good movies to come out to take "myths" from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

They need some more good movies to come out to take "myths" from.

That can't be it, they did a Green Hornet episode.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

haveblue posted:

That can't be it, they did a Green Hornet episode.

I said good movies :colbert:

But all joking aside, I actually don't mind a few of the movie myths they've done recently. The Indiana Jones mirror one was pretty awesome, actually. If they can pick GOOD movie "myths" then I'm all for them.

But if they're going to do stupid stuff like "can a car drive if you cut it in half" then give me a break.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FogHelmut posted:

Because they ran out of myths 6 years ago?
I thought there was a large enough fanbase making up poo poo all day long and submitting it to them?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought there was a large enough fanbase making up poo poo all day long and submitting it to them?

"Do Airplane on a treadmill again!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

There are still only so many urban legends that are widely believed and have any sort of factual basis. They ran out of those a long time ago, then they went through a phase where they tried to recreate Internet videos that got emailed to them, now they're down to picking stuff from movies.

And speaking of good movie myths, it looks like next week they're going to do the bit from the climax of True Lies where a seagull tips the terrorist van into the ocean, which I think we can all agree is better than Green Hornet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

poo poo, if they're gonna do True Lies then they should take a stab at "drop an Uzi down some stairs and have it go off until it runs out of ammo".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

McSpanky posted:

poo poo, if they're gonna do True Lies then they should take a stab at "drop an Uzi down some stairs and have it go off until it runs out of ammo".

That could be entertaining if it worked, otherwise it's just going to be 20 minutes of them dropping an uzi down a flight of stairs over and over while nothing happens. Then Kari will paint the uzi in a bunch of wacky colors and put fireworks and thermite all over the stairs and set the stairs on fire.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would be really interested in learning if it's possible to strike the outside of a gun so hard that it fires, that happens in lots of movies and I have no idea if it's true or not.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I wish they would get rid of Kari. The whole second team acts kind of weird, and does some stupid poo poo, but she just amplifies it. I'm sure the producers must have told her to just turn up the quirky pixie girl act. They could probably drop Zooey Deschanel in her role and there would be little difference.

I would've like to see the temp girl, Jessie, stay on. She at least had mechanical experience, coming from the auto maintenance shows on Sunday morning Spike tv, and I think she graduated top of her tech school mechanics class, or something like that. Kari is an artist by trade, and it shows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

XK posted:

I wish they would get rid of Kari. The whole second team acts kind of weird, and does some stupid poo poo, but she just amplifies it. I'm sure the producers must have told her to just turn up the quirky pixie girl act. They could probably drop Zooey Deschanel in her role and there would be little difference.

I would've like to see the temp girl, Jessie, stay on. She at least had mechanical experience, coming from the auto maintenance shows on Sunday morning Spike tv, and I think she graduated top of her tech school mechanics class, or something like that. Kari is an artist by trade, and it shows.

I completely agree with this post. Temp girl Jess was so much better and my eyes didn't roll out of their sockets every time she was speaking on screen. I could be projecting a lot of annoying people I know onto her though, so I might be biased. I hope it doesn't sound misogynistic or anything, but I guess it could come off like that because the other build team hamming it up doesn't annoy me to the same extent. I don't really know how to explain it so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Hell, I think I might have liked Scottie more.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Personally I felt the show lost a lot of charm when Scottie left. Plus I kind of miss the "old days" when the cast all sort of interacted together on each others' projects. From the few episodes I've seen in recent years, it seems like it's "Adam and Jamie segment/Build Team segment/repeat ad infinitum", which makes me wonder why they don't just spin the Build Team off into their own show or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've tried that a couple of times with other people (Smash Lab, Time Warp) and it never works.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Didn't they try to spin Kari off into her own show? I watched something hosted by her and it was atrocious. Also it was barely more than a Mythbusters clipshow with segments of Kari showing some science thing.

I think Mythbusters is popular because it hit the right amount of Build Team/AJ interaction. Trying to separate the pieces and isolate them seems pretty futile, honestly. I don't think either AJ or the Build Team are strong enough to carry their own show. The pre-Build Team mythbusters was kind of lame too, honestly. At least in my opinion.

Incidentally, as my tastes change I think I enjoy the build team more than Adam and Jamie on the whole. Kari aside, their segments seem more fun than watching Adam and Jamie bicker.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 27, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I was just about to post that they should bring back Scottie. She actually had a purpose on the show besides being zany and looking good. Scottie was the builder/engineer, Grant was the science guy, and Tory was the stuntman and resident spaz.

I mean, I guess Kari's intelligent enough to understand what's going on and occasionally come up with ideas and plans, but she just doesn't really seem to contribute much on the whole. She's basically on the show because she's attractive and charismatic.

Garbo
May 30, 2011
I really don't like the build team much at all. Every time they're on I just want to switch to something, anything, other than Mythbusters. Some of that is surely on Kari but I really don't think she holds even a majority of the blame. The team has none of the interaction or charm that A&J have and nothing different to offer to make up for it. Hopefully this season will be better, though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Garbo posted:

I really don't like the build team much at all. Every time they're on I just want to switch to something, anything, other than Mythbusters. Some of that is surely on Kari but I really don't think she holds even a majority of the blame. The team has none of the interaction or charm that A&J have and nothing different to offer to make up for it. Hopefully this season will be better, though.

That's how I feel. In the older episodes it was more like "here's Goofus and Grumpy running around doing crazy stuff with the hot girl, the tomboy and the guy who gets hurt a lot." I kind of enjoyed that team dynamic. :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think we can all agree though that Grant was an appropriate addition to the show, even though now that I think back he was the one who technically replaced Scottie. I forgot that there was a transitional period where Kari and Scottie were on the show at the same time.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

If you want the golden days of Mythbusters, give me the three myths an episode, just Adam / Jamie, no bullshit Mythbusters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

I think we can all agree though that Grant was an appropriate addition to the show, even though now that I think back he was the one who technically replaced Scottie. I forgot that there was a transitional period where Kari and Scottie were on the show at the same time.

Kari has been on the show for literally forever. Its just in the early episodes she was Jamie's PA or something like that. Tori was something similar in that he did some of the assistant stuff on the show and then eventually moved up into the larger role. Its funny watching older episodes and seeing Tori and Kari just doing some random work in the background while Adam and Jamie are running around.

The reason Grant meshed so well with everyone was because he previously worked with Tori (and I believe Adam) at ILM.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Asmodai_00 posted:

If you want the golden days of Mythbusters, give me the three myths an episode, just Adam / Jamie, no bullshit Mythbusters.

Agreed. It was also linear, with one myth at a time. Not that I have an extremely difficult time following two myths interspersed throughout the episode, but I still preferred the one at a time approach.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I must be the odd man out because I enjoy the build team much more than Adam and Jamie and love the cuts between the different myths. I mean even with Kari's bounce off the wall acting.

To an extent, of course.

Also Kari's first appearance was when they took a mould of her rear end for some airplane toilet myth, wasn't it? I think it was really early on in the series. She also seemed a lot more camerashy then too, unless I'm remembering it wrong. Once she got a bigger speaking part is when she started to build her TV personality I guess, and that's where it kind of derailed for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

I must be the odd man out because I enjoy the build team much more than Adam and Jamie and love the cuts between the different myths.

You're not, especially these days. The build team always gets the safe, "easy" myths where they can loosen up and let unexpected or improvised things happen that surprise them and the audience. And I'm still one of the few people left who likes the interplay between their three characters.

Adam and Jamie always get the myths involving destruction and danger on such a massive scale that everything they do has to be very carefully planned and supervised. It loses its (admittedly artificial) air of investigation and curiosity and is reduced to a choreographed pyrotechnics demo.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

haveblue posted:

I would be really interested in learning if it's possible to strike the outside of a gun so hard that it fires, that happens in lots of movies and I have no idea if it's true or not.

I usually love the gun myths on the show, other than the curve a bullet stuff, becasue it's usually pretty interesting, and I rather like seeing them put to rest stupid poo poo from movies.

It's possible, but only on firearms that lack modern safety measures (modern as in late-1800s/early 1900s), or on firearms that have intentionally had their safety mechanisms broken or removed.

Just as an example, take a Glock (which, another thing that drives me nuts, does not make a "hammer cocked back" sound and has no external safety so the *draw gun-cocking noise* is even more bullshit than with an external hammer/safety gun) typical movie gun. There's a spring-loaded post that blocks the channel between the firing pin and the chambered round that's pushed by a protrusion on the trigger bar when the trigger is pulled, maybe a millimeter of pull distance from the point where the sear releases the hammer. There's also a safety ramp for the mechanism on the trigger that releases the hammer that prevents it from contacting the sear until it reaches the end of the channel and pops over, and that bar on the trigger can't move unless you physically depress the trigger with your finger. So there's a series of physical forces, not just a drop, that would need to occur to make the gun fire without actually pulling the trigger.

Other firearms are similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_(firearms) is a good read. Great engineering strides have gone into making sure guns don't go boom unless you pull the trigger, to the point that pulling the trigger isn't always enough (magazine safety, grip safety). My suspicion is that an episode on this would involve lots of dropping things on the ground without them going boom, until they started removing parts to see what happens, if their insurance and range safety people would let them.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 28, 2011

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The build team is fine. Adam and Jamie are fine. Its the production company that blows. Half of the show is previewing the myths and giving away what happens, and the other half is reviewing what you just watched when it comes back from commercial. They stretch 20 minutes of content out over an hour. Bullshit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well they used to have enough content to fill an hour, very early on, kind of.

Nowadays though, yeah, the show is unwatchable without being able to fast forward through all the recaps of poo poo you just saw 4 minutes ago.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

McSpanky posted:

haveblue posted:

That was a MAC-10 :eng101: An original Uzi would have a better chance due to its open bolt design, same for the MAC-10. The Mini, Micro, and civilian carbine Uzi models fire from a closed bolt, so it'd be harder to get them to turn into a runaway gun. It's this reason the ATF really doesn't like open bolt firearms, as you can easily convert them to full auto. Maybe if you filed the sear down to next to nothing it could work, but I really doubt it. It'd be funny though, considering California is super god drat anal about drop testing all firearms :v:

The gun myths are usually some of the best ones on paper, but when executed they're just outright painful to watch. The research department seems to have gone out for lunch, and the only person who seems to know what's up around a firearm is the most accident prone :psyduck: The suppressor tests were cool though, although I would've liked to seen just how much more quieter you could make the shot by using a wet suppressor compared to dry, but that's getting to really high gun nerd levels :v:

Also getting rid of Kari would go a long way to getting me to watch again. Good lord is her poo poo tiresome. Jess was great as not only was she competent, she wasn't constantly blowing her poo poo over the smallest things all OMIGAAAAWD :byodame: like. I know that's more of a production thing but holy poo poo is it aggravating. Same for Adam, really. Burn his hair off again and get him on decaf, something. Anything.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So these two myths both need two minutes of math and you're done. This is stupid as hell.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Stormchasers -- "We wait 9 months for tornado season to begin, it's a lot like Christmas time."

Well, maybe Christmas time with Evil Robot Santa perhaps.

edit - While making a motorcycle aerodynamic is cool, it does nothing for emissions. I hope they're fitting some catalytic converters.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 29, 2011

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I'm 10 minutes into the episode and frankly, I'm bored by it. It just feels like they do the same thing episode after episode after episode. The commentary is getting stale and the segments are predictable.

e: Plus all the obvious hate for the editing, segment jumping, recapping, and using footage from old episodes.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

J33uk posted:

So these two myths both need two minutes of math and you're done. This is stupid as hell.
Vast majority of myths are like that though. In fact there have been a bunch of myths were fundamental laws like conservation of energy come into play and no math is needed.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

Vast majority of myths are like that though. In fact there have been a bunch of myths were fundamental laws like conservation of energy come into play and no math is needed.

We all might know that these things are true (conservation of energy, etc) but there are a lot of people who are loving idiots.

If the USPO lifted it's moratorium on perpetual motion machine patent applications they'd never grant another patent due to sifting through all the perpetual motion patents.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess last night's episode was forgettable at worst, but it's a shame that "forgettable" is the absolute best we can hope for with most new Mythbusters episodes. I did like the fact that for the Build Team's myth, they went through a bunch of trouble leading up to the final test and then an explosives expert basically just told them "this isn't possible because the warhead isn't even live until it's too far away to harm the shooter".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I still kind of wish they did that shot anyway just to see what happened.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm glad we got to see Adam and Jamie actually build something. Honestly, it's why I started watching the show way back with the very first episode when they built a rocket car.

They're incredible builders and it's a sheer joy watching them work their way through a problem. But too much in the last few seasons, they just cut all that out and wnet with them as merely talking heads.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Just popping in to say I miss the hell out of "It Takes a Thief" :smith:

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

We all might know that these things are true (conservation of energy, etc) but there are a lot of people who are loving idiots.

If the USPO lifted it's moratorium on perpetual motion machine patent applications they'd never grant another patent due to sifting through all the perpetual motion patents.

You can file a patent application for a perpetual motion machine, it's just not considered statutory subject matter so it will be rejected in about 5 minutes and that will be the end of it. Hell, you can file an application for anything you want.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

DJExile posted:

I thought I was the only one that liked that show. :unsmith:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

DJExile posted:

Seconding the love for that show. As much as I enjoyed watching how actual thieves work and how to prevent them the real fun for me were those few occasions when they came back the second time and found out the clients didn't listen to a word of their advice and were just as open to theft as the last time.

And the two leads played off each other perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I can understand why they pulled it, and I'd imagine they had to have those homeowners sign a mountain of waivers. Still, it was unique as hell and episodes like the one where Rainey hit a house full of kids and a nanny while they were all there were loving awesome.

• Locked thread