Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Personally, I would recommend that those people go to the Visual Novel thread. Keeping FZ spoilers in check will be hard enough as it is.

It doesn't really make sense for people to go to the VN thread to talk about an anime, which is what this thread is for in case you forgot, but okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Conduit for Sale! posted:

It doesn't really make sense for people to go to the VN thread to talk about an anime, which is what this thread is for in case you forgot, but okay.
What? I was talking about those people who were playing the FSN VN for the first time. This thread is inevitably going to spoil the poo poo out of FSN one way or another no matter what anyone says and anyone concerned about FSN (or have FSN-specific questions) should take it up somewhere else in order to avoid that.

E: This thread should be under no "obligation" to spoiler tag FSN stuff as a courtesy. That's stupid. If someone comes in and gets something spoiled from FSN and they don't like that, well they shouldn't be reading this thread in the first place is what I'm saying.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 27, 2011

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Rodyle posted:

"Kojirou" is a nameless farmer who learned how to cheat the space time continuum by slicing really, REALLY fast, no magic necessary, and goes toe to toe with everyone but Gil. He's awesome.
Assassin is very overrated. If he wasn't in a narrow space that prevented him being flanked and if he didn't have Caster's backup he would have been minced meat. The only Servant that ever fights him one on one seriously is Saber in UBW and if she had used her noble phantasm he'd have been instantly annihilated. And of course he was useless against ranged attackers (which presumably is why he lets Archer and Gil by in UBW). Nasu said that he was only able to push Berserker back because Caster used her magic on Berserker to weigh him down; otherwise he said that if the two went against one another it wouldn't have even been a fight (Assassin's weapon literally can't even scratch Berserker).

Rodyle posted:

TA is a classic example of a character who is cheaply hyped up by coming in during the 3rd act and taking out all the other characters shown to be tough up to that point. The other two HF exclusive enemies are like that too, but TA is the worst.
No. Lancer and Rider both have no trouble beating him up when he's alone and he even gets defeated by a human. By himself he's only a threat to humans.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

Assassin is very overrated. If he wasn't in a narrow space that prevented him being flanked and if he didn't have Caster's backup he would have been minced meat. The only Servant that ever fights him one on one seriously is Saber in UBW and if she had used her noble phantasm he'd have been instantly annihilated. And of course he was useless against ranged attackers (which presumably is why he lets Archer and Gil by in UBW). Nasu said that he was only able to push Berserker back because Caster used her magic on Berserker to weigh him down; otherwise he said that if the two went against one another it wouldn't have even been a fight (Assassin's weapon literally can't even scratch Berserker).

No. Lancer and Rider both have no trouble beating him up when he's alone and he even gets defeated by a human. By himself he's only a threat to humans.
Well yes of course he beats them under very specific conditions, but it's still unreal that he can even do that much considering he has no powers besides "is good with swords" and is nameless.

As for the whole thing about TA, it's more a problem I have with him, Zouken, and the shadow as a group. They just sweep in and stomp every other antagonist flat, which would be fine if they were actually interesting but as it stands they're pretty much the most boring antagonists by a wide margin. The most exciting scenes any of them ever get are the bits where Zouken eats people with his worms (which admittedly makes for some of the more :byodood: material in the game).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

What? I was talking about those people who were playing the FSN VN for the first time. This thread is inevitably going to spoil the poo poo out of FSN one way or another no matter what anyone says and anyone concerned about FSN (or have FSN-specific questions) should take it up somewhere else in order to avoid that.

E: This thread should be under no "obligation" to spoiler tag FSN stuff as a courtesy. That's stupid. If someone comes in and gets something spoiled from FSN and they don't like that, well they shouldn't be reading this thread in the first place is what I'm saying.

I'm going to spoiler tag HF stuff, just because a lot of it is Zero spoilers too for people coming in fresh, but I'm treating Fate and UBW as relatively fair game since they've both gotten anime adaptations that didn't completely mangle the plot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Rodyle posted:

Well yes of course he beats them under very specific conditions, but it's still unreal that he can even do that much considering he has no powers besides "is good with swords" and is nameless.

Did you forget Zabaniya? You know, the thing he killed both Saber and Lancer with?

V Whoops, my mistake.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 28, 2011

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Did you forget Zabaniya? You know, the thing he killed both Saber and Lancer with?

We're talking about Assassin, not TA.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Incorrect. Even though she was half-dead, Saber still managed to stop True Assassin's Noble Phantasm. Saber was consumed by the Shadow, not killed by True Assassin.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Eh, at the very least it stalled her enough for her to get killed. Same result, even if the original intent was different.

(Yes, I know I'm pulling things out of my rear end)

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 28, 2011

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I just love how crazy the powers get in the Nasuverse. And of course at the end of it all each character still has some silly endearing trait like how Saber enjoys eating.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I wish Mirrormoon had translated Hollow Ataraxia so we could all experience the glory of The Thousand Part-Time Jobs of Lancer.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The actual translation project for H/A is still moving along at a glacial pace, last I checked.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

The actual translation project for H/A is still moving along at a glacial pace, last I checked.

There's some public translation page it lives on now, IIRC. It does still progress from time to time. Last I heard I think it had just gotten over 60% translated or so, bearing in mind that it's had years to get there, and with so many translators working on it editing is going to be a mess.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Pierson posted:

I wish Mirrormoon had translated Hollow Ataraxia so we could all experience the glory of The Thousand Part-Time Jobs of Lancer.
I blame Takajun for saying it was crap and refusing to translate it, which may have made others not want to work on it either. I thought the partial patch I read was pretty entertaining.

ChineseTea
Jul 22, 2011
Isn't H/A all about fan service bullshit or am I sorely mistaken.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If it's anything like Kagetsu Tohya then it's probably a good deal of fun.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Some people can't stand anything other than the grim darkness of the far future serious despair of the Holy Grail War. These same people probably also hate Carnival Phantasm.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with the F/ha translation is that the guy in charge is spending a shitload of time on stupid minigames instead of just translating the dialogue first. :negative:

e: ^^^^^

The OP is the funniest part of Carnival Phantasm.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 28, 2011

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
To be fair though, I can't blame Takajun for not wanting to translate it. He worked so long on F/SN and just on Type-Moon stuff in general that I bet he got pretty tired of translating Nasu and would just rather move on to other things at that point, rather than translate something he didn't even personally enjoy just because it's Type-Moon. The crap comment might no have been necessary but oh well.

I think F/HA looks like a ton of hilarious fun though myself. :shobon: A lot of scenes I've seen translated seem to add a lot of depth too, like Rider's stuff involving her past.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think we can all understand someone getting tired of translating Nasu's prose after doing all of FSN.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've gone through all of the current english translation for F/HA, and comparing it to Kagetsu Tohya is pretty apt. There's certainly more action, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It just looks so fun :)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The best part about that scene is what led up to it. First it's just Lancer fishing by himself and having a good time... then on another day, Archer is there too, to Lancer's irritation. And then finally Gilgamesh and the throng of kids that follow him everywhere in F/ha show up, and Lancer complains that "this is no longer a place for normal people".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

F/HA Gilgamesh is actually a pretty cool dude. Or kid, to be more exact.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
The best part of that picture is Gilgamesh has his four golden fishing rods. I can just here him screaming "Mongrel!" whenever a fish gets away,

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

FrantzX posted:

The best part of that picture is Gilgamesh has his four golden fishing rods. I can just here him screaming "Mongrel!" whenever a fish gets away,

I kind of figure he'd be standing there for all of 2 minutes before saying gently caress it, opening the Gates of Babylon and hurling an innumerable number of weapons hurtling into the ocean.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Gilgamesh has quadruple golden rods, even Archer has a proper tackle box, but all a true fisherman needs is a metal stick and a bucket. :getin:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sindai posted:

I think we can all understand someone getting tired of translating Nasu's prose after doing all of FSN.

I could understand someone getting tired of translating Nasu after visiting the church on Day 3.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I came into this thread hoping to figure out if this anime adaptation of a light novel prequel to a semi-erotic visual novel was as fun as whatever little I know about it suggested it would be and hoped to see goons confirm my suspicions but instead I got to slog through three pages of DBZ-esque powerlevel chat. :negative:

God damnit, Goons. (PS. Saber would obv. kick everyone else's asses with her hands tied and eyes closed. :colbert:)

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

quakster posted:

(PS. Saber would obv. kick everyone else's asses with her hands tied and eyes closed. :colbert:)
You're doing it wrong. The best way to rile up everyone is to say that Shiki can kill Servants. Like this:

Shiki can kill Servants. :colbert:

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Left Ventricle posted:

Shiki can kill Servants. :colbert:

Yup.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Surec posted:

Yup.

What happened to Crazy Clover Club anyway?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

quakster posted:

I came into this thread hoping to figure out if this anime adaptation of a light novel prequel to a semi-erotic visual novel was as fun as whatever little I know about it suggested it would be and hoped to see goons confirm my suspicions but instead I got to slog through three pages of DBZ-esque powerlevel chat. :negative:

God damnit, Goons. (PS. Saber would obv. kick everyone else's asses with her hands tied and eyes closed. :colbert:)

Well, the Unlimited Blade Works route of the visual novel has a guy having a sword fight with his pissed-off cynical badass future clone and winning through sheer testicular fortitude, sandwiched between the main characters fighting a man who can magically punch people's heads off and the protagonist having a battle of wills with Gilgamesh (yes, that Gilgamesh) through the two raining extradimensional swords on each other.

(Heaven's Feel) The next route has the protagonist killing a tortured, insane Hercules using magic drawn from the severed arm of said future clone, then not too long after, killing evil King Arthur (or fighting her to a standstill if you get a certain really awesome Bad End), and then having a dragged out fistfight with 8-foot-tall Evil Catholic Batman that starts out in Batman's favor, then the protagonist has a sudden revelation and beats the living manshit out of him. While being made almost entirely of swords because his body responds to being wounded by impaling him.

And Fate/zero manages to be more completely bugfuck insane than that.

Does that answer your question?

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 29, 2011

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Surec posted:

Yup.

Shiki is totally better than Shiki. That Shiki especially.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Let's not bring KnK into this.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

As long as we don't bring up SHIKI, the worst of the Shiki's.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

As long as we don't bring up SHIKI, the worst of the Shiki's.

You better be talking about SHIKI because SHIKI was pretty cool.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

WickedIcon posted:

(Heaven's Feel) The next route has the protagonist killing a tortured, insane Hercules using magic drawn from the severed arm of said future clone, then not too long after, killing evil King Arthur (or fighting her to a standstill if you get a certain really awesome Bad End), and then having a dragged out fistfight with 8-foot-tall Evil Catholic Batman that starts out in Batman's favor, then the protagonist has a sudden revelation and beats the living manshit out of him. While being made almost entirely of swords because his body responds to being wounded by impaling him.
We give Nasu a lot of poo poo but you have to hand it to the man he can take something like that and make it a compelling story and totally cool to watch/read.

Love the story, love the world, hopeful about the staff. Can't wait for this to start.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Surec posted:

Yup.

That's from a doujin and is not canon :eng101:

Anyways the junk with both Tsukihime and the KnK protagonist vs servants is settled. Even the KnK person, on the best day of her life, couldn't do more than avoid being killed by a Servant, according to Nasu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

Love the story, love the world, hopeful about the staff. Can't wait for this to start.

Watch Kara no Kyoukai and Madoka Magica, and go from "hopeful" to "unconditional, unquestioning desire to have their children." :)

The staff is seriously 75% of why I want to watch this show. Yuki Kaijura and Gen Urobuchi working with ufotable is guaranteed to produce nothing but amazing.

• Locked thread