Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

So apparently King IS writing a sequel to The Shining. Called Dr Sleep it follows a 40 year old Danny as he works as an attendant at a hospice using his powers to help people transition into death. Also there will be vampires. Pirate vampires.

Everything about this sounds absolutely terrible.

On a barely related note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf2tqSy2zc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sir Prancelot posted:

Oh, well that sounds intere- what. :stare:

I'm sorry, I knew I left something out. They are PSYCHIC pirate vampires.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Oh well that just ties the thing together so much more coherently.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

JammyLammy posted:

On a barely related note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf2tqSy2zc

This is loving fabulous.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

So apparently King IS writing a sequel to The Shining. Called Dr Sleep it follows a 40 year old Danny as he works as an attendant at a hospice using his powers to help people transition into death. Also there will be vampires. Pirate vampires.

I'm totally down with this.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
If they get at the patients we might end up with geriatric pirate vampires. No teeth, all fangs and prosthetic wooden legs.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

iostream.h posted:

But it gave us the show 'Haven' so there IS at least one redeeming factor.

Does Haven get better as it goes? I only watched the first two episodes and couldn't get into it. Does it pick up, or does the series stay like that?

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
King talking about and reading an excerpt from Dr Sleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CnVM3MjbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ErlhXTUFeI

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

21st Cherry boy posted:

Does Haven get better as it goes? I only watched the first two episodes and couldn't get into it. Does it pick up, or does the series stay like that?
It gets pretty interesting, the first couple of episodes drug a bit, but you get familiar with the characters before anything really weird happens.

It's not a horribly DEEP show, but it's fun and has that 'weird cozy little New England town' vibe done just right.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'm exactly halfway through 'Under the Dome'

So far, the mystery remains compelling. The various archetypes are moving into position [or already there, though I expect a twist or two]. The dialogue is HOLY loving BAD. Holy gently caress. ing bad. He can't write anyone under 50 anymore, can he?

How do people feel about this book in general? I'm half and half. The situation is so bizarre and compelling, yet every other conversation is unreadable. He busted out 'radical' and it was published two years ago for God's sake.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm exactly halfway through 'Under the Dome'

So far, the mystery remains compelling. The various archetypes are moving into position [or already there, though I expect a twist or two]. The dialogue is HOLY loving BAD. Holy gently caress. ing bad. He can't write anyone under 50 anymore, can he?

How do people feel about this book in general? I'm half and half. The situation is so bizarre and compelling, yet every other conversation is unreadable. He busted out 'radical' and it was published two years ago for God's sake.

You've gotten farther than I did, and that's saying something. Hell, I managed to finish Lisey's Story, but I couldn't get through Under the Dome.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Edwardian posted:

You've gotten farther than I did, and that's saying something. Hell, I managed to finish Lisey's Story, but I couldn't get through Under the Dome.

I've actually been reading a shitton of Bentley Little lately because I needed a break from Under the Dome. It was dragging on and I'm hoping poo poo starts happening soon. Though I feel like I've read the same book by Bentley Little like 3 times now, hoping the one I'm on now will be different.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Edwardian posted:

Hell, I managed to finish Lisey's Story, but I couldn't get through Under the Dome.

Well to be fair Lisey's Story is only like a quarter as long as Under the Dome, so pushing through to the end isn't that hard.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I loved Under the Dome actually, would be my favorite recent book if it wasn't for Duma Key. I really don't mind the dialogue though, so maybe I'm just weird?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked the first 3/4 of Under the Dome a bit; it has one of the most annoying villains and henchmen ever. I didn't like the end, but not enough for me to hate the book. I just ignore his dialogue from characters 40 and under and pretend they all time traveled from 1950.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I'm hoping that 11/22/1963 gets really cheap like Under the Dome was on Amazon when it was released.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I'm hoping that 11/22/1963 gets really cheap like Under the Dome was on Amazon when it was released.

That was just the result of a really brutal price war between Amazon and Wal Mart that neither side wanted so I doubt it will happen again.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

JammyLammy posted:

Everything about this sounds absolutely terrible.

You're still going to read it, though. We're all going to read it and complain in here about it.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

....so he's back on drugs then?

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Shining is arguably the best self contained book he's ever written. If he's doing a sequel there better be retarded psychic magical black pirate vampires, singing Creedence.

SlightButSteady fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 30, 2011

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

KillRoy posted:

God I hope so.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Well Black House didn't really affect Talisman at all, and wasn't bad, so I'm not worried about a Shining sequel.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

KillRoy posted:

Let us pray that he is, for it would mean a King Renaissance.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Darko posted:

Well Black House didn't really affect Talisman at all, and wasn't bad, so I'm not worried about a Shining sequel.

Speaking of which, isn't there supposed be be another Jack Sawyer book also? I could swear I heard somewhere that it was going to be a trilogy....

Or maybe senility is setting in.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

It is, I think King is clearing his schedule for it. Straub has a new book out soon as well but from what I've read they've decided the basic plot and just have to write it.

It actually sounds pretty good from the little I've heard about it.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

SlightButSteady posted:

The Shining is arguably the best self contained book he's ever written. If he's doing a sequel there better be retarded psychic magical black pirate vampires, singing Creedence.

I'm re-reading it slowly at the moment and the writing in it at some points is tremendous for King

Dr. Sleep sounds like it could be cool. Maybe.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I can't wait for the scene in Doctor Sleep where Danny survives a nuclear blast by hiding in a fridge.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Local Group Bus posted:

It is, I think King is clearing his schedule for it. Straub has a new book out soon as well but from what I've read they've decided the basic plot and just have to write it.

It actually sounds pretty good from the little I've heard about it.

I am stupidly shamelessly excited for this. The Talisman is one of my all-time favorites, and although I didn't like the segue into Dark Towerville in Black House, there was also a lot about it that I really liked.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

April posted:

I am stupidly shamelessly excited for this. The Talisman is one of my all-time favorites, and although I didn't like the segue into Dark Towerville in Black House, there was also a lot about it that I really liked.

I really liked both books and am looking forward to the next, even if Jack Sawyer can not come back to our dimension(?) because of his injuries

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Oh, he can, but he becomes sicker quicker each time he jumps and that's where one of the main pillars of suspense will be. From what interviews I've read, Jack needs to come back to deal with something he can't in the Territories and each time he makes the jump he's basically falling apart on a molecular level and he's detective skills take a back seat to: Is he actually seeing what is happening at all? Or has he finally lost his mind and committing, well, I wouldn't want to spoil too much but if they go with what they were originally planning The Fisherman is, heh, small-fry.

edit: If anyone has read both of Straubs "In the nightroom" and "Lost boy, Lost girl," there are connections or there were. It's been so long since I read the combined interview and I can't find it online.

And holy poo poo Peter Straubs website is hell to navigate,

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 30, 2011

Logtar
Sep 15, 2008

by T. Fine
Wow there's a lot of Stephen King hate in this thread. I'm going to have to say that Song of Susannah was a pretty awful book. It was slow even by King's standards, and the ending to the Dark Tower was a giant smack in the face for all the time I invested into the series. All of my stoner friends loved it though, they thought it was so deep and that Stephen King was like, some kinda genius, man. :2bong:

I will never stop loving The Stand though, or Wizard and Glass.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Logtar posted:

Wow there's a lot of Stephen King hate in this thread. I'm going to have to say that Song of Susannah was a pretty awful book. It was slow even by King's standards, and the ending to the Dark Tower was a giant smack in the face for all the time I invested into the series. All of my stoner friends loved it though, they thought it was so deep and that Stephen King was like, some kinda genius, man. :2bong:

I don't know if it's hate or just dissapointment. He's got some classics in his library,(It, The Stand, Salem's Lot,Needful Things, etc) but he's also put out some absolute crap. Ill always love his works that I love, but he seems to have lost what made his earlier works so special.

Does anyone have a link to where King talked about a new Talisman? The first one is one of my favorites.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

I loved Under the Dome actually, would be my favorite recent book if it wasn't for Duma Key. I really don't mind the dialogue though, so maybe I'm just weird?

I loved it, too. The dialogue didn't bother me, but then I still say "groovy".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Logtar posted:

I wouldn't call it hate; this thread has basically turned into 'complain about everything you DON'T like about King,' which is generally just focusing on the negative. There's a lot I do like, but I am in here to bitch and nitpick.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Logtar posted:

This is where I have been stuck for about 10 years on that series. I want to read to the infamous ending, but I can't bring myself to even get started on Song of Susannah. One of the best things King ever wrote was the first half of The Drawing of The Three - the whole bit with Roland jumping in and out of controlling Eddie Dean, and the gunfights in New York. I think Dark Tower peaked for me there.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
I didn't care for Song of Susannah, but I did enjoy the rest of the Dark Tower series. I may be in the minority that really enjoyed Wolves of the Calla.

I can honestly say that the ending of the whole series...fit. It may not have been likeable, but the ending was appropriate and I can't imagine it ending any other way.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Edwardian posted:

I didn't care for Song of Susannah, but I did enjoy the rest of the Dark Tower series. I may be in the minority that really enjoyed Wolves of the Calla.

I can honestly say that the ending of the whole series...fit. It may not have been likeable, but the ending was appropriate and I can't imagine it ending any other way.

Other than the whole LOL HARRY POTTER BOMBS thing I liked Wolves of the Calla quite a bit, too. It's got some good things going for it if you don't try to compare it to the earlier books too much. :shobon:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

deoju posted:

This is loving fabulous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os6raCCmAFk

You might like this one, then. The Shining recut as a family film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Edwardian posted:

Most people like the ending itself, it's just the last leg of the journey that's the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Edwardian posted:

Yeah, I'll also come out and say that I really liked Wolves of the Calla, also. I will actually say that it's my third favorite of the series, after Gunslinger and The Waste Lands. The Dark Tower would be my fourth.

I honestly don't see why the ending gets the flak it does. I thought it was reasonably clever and as good/original an ending as a series like The Dark Tower could get, and I can't really imagine any other ending that would have been better, or even really been good. I mean, people who dislike the ending: what would you want to see instead? It ending with Susannah meeting Eddie and Jake? Ending with Roland just entering the tower, or wandering off into the sunset? I'm not trying to sound snarky, I'm genuinely curious as to what people were hoping for/would have liked.

Also...while I don't really want to go so far as to defend Song of Susannah, I will say that I didn't think it was really "bad" so much as just really boring and redundant. There's a lot of other stuff in this thread that's a lot worse than anything in Song of Susannah.