Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Maybe I just haven't been paying much attention to it earlier but it seems like they really went nuts with the spinning camera in season 4.

I don't really need a full five rotations while Josh is talking to random people about how to vote properly.

edit: have a little Josh gif.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I think he was the only character who did anything physical, sometimes he was falling through chairs, falling from stepladders, getting hit by doors etc.

Also 17 People is better than Two Cathedrals because I love seeing Toby and Jed argue.

I'm just over halfway through S3 on my rewatch and apart from a few of the Leo episodes early on, I can't remember any specific standouts that are really awesome.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

MrBling posted:

He should play football.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

spe posted:

I think he was the only character who did anything physical, sometimes he was falling through chairs, falling from stepladders, getting hit by doors etc.

Also 17 People is better than Two Cathedrals because I love seeing Toby and Jed argue.

I'm just over halfway through S3 on my rewatch and apart from a few of the Leo episodes early on, I can't remember any specific standouts that are really awesome.

I really liked his point about how, while the President was in a coma, there was a de-facto coup d'etat in the US with Leo and the military acting as sort of junta. That whole scene is really intense.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I really liked his point about how, while the President was in a coma, there was a de-facto coup d'etat in the US with Leo and the military acting as sort of junta. That whole scene is really intense.

It was odd seeing young Leo in War Games last night (first time I've seen it, if you can believe that). Serious flashes of his future role when he starts shouting about 'getting someone on the damned phone before he kills 20 million people'.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So does anyone know if there's a decent West Wing poster out there? The only one I can find is this rubbish, which is tiny and is for season 6/7 http://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Wing-Poster-TV-11/dp/B003T1P9OE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317122930&sr=8-1
...and also various 'Bartlet/Vinnick for America' posters.

Pretty much my entire group of friends these days have watched it, so it'd be cool to have around. Even just a larger version of the above poster design but from one of the earlier seasons would be awesome.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

scarymonkey posted:

He should play football.

He would, but he had an open can of Pabst.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
Does anyone know why disc 3 of Season 3 of the West Wing is on a "very long wait" on Netflix? I'm working my way through the discs right now for the first time, but is this disc just the loving greatest one of the series? It's literally the only disc of the series with a wait.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Probably the same reason all of season 2 of MASH is "long wait" - Netflix can't get their poo poo together.

I'm about halfway through season 7 so far; I've really been enjoying it, though I can note some budget restraints. (Both Vinnick and Santos's headquarters kinda look like rooms from the west wing.) The election storyline is great. I'll be missing this show after I'm done...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm going through the show for the first time, and midway through season 4 I'm struck by how much the Bartlet adminisitration touts its own horn about its accomplishments but we don't really see them recognized by other characters. It really seems like Bartlet's reelection is won over more because of his ability to charm the electorate than through actual policy victories.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'm going through the show for the first time, and midway through season 4 I'm struck by how much the Bartlet adminisitration touts its own horn about its accomplishments but we don't really see them recognized by other characters. It really seems like Bartlet's reelection is won over more because of his ability to charm the electorate than through actual policy victories.

I think the reelection was more that they were to establish a President should be smart and knowledgable rather than someone you'd want to have a beer with. A poke at how in our world anti-intellectualism is an election strategy.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
I know Sorkin is credited with the walk and talk but I've been watching a lot of old ER lately, another John Wells production, and there's a lot of proto walk and talk in it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I don't think Sorkin ever wanted to write a serial, which is what you'd need to cover an election. I think he wanted to write a dramedy about the President and it got away from him. I'd still rather watch what I imagine to be his version of seasons 6/7, but we'll never know.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

It also regularly shows them being frustrated by their lack of acomplishments and how the compromises they're forced to make water down what they want to achieve. At a character level I think you see a lot of this as well. Ideals being twisted by reality to the extent that they lose sight of their original motivations.

This has always been one of my favourite moments.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 28, 2011

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Another great clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOWzY68yZdo
"Hey Steve, hey Mikey" (confused looks from behind the walking President)
"Listen have I got any of the names right so far?"
"No sir, but you came drat close a couple of 'em"
"OK"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In season 5 they refer to the fact that Barlett's campaign was a landslide, but the congressional elections really weren't that favourable to the Dems.

Joementum posted:

I don't think Sorkin ever wanted to write a serial, which is what you'd need to cover an election. I think he wanted to write a dramedy about the President and it got away from him. I'd still rather watch what I imagine to be his version of seasons 6/7, but we'll never know.
I think it's also that there's much more drama in a good fight than a victory lap.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=5r0UwF5AlS4

"He's gonna land in Washington an hour before he took off?"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BklynBruzer posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=5r0UwF5AlS4

"He's gonna land in Washington an hour before he took off?"

"We changed TIME ZONES?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J1NHzQ1sgc

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

"We changed TIME ZONES?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J1NHzQ1sgc

The best part is that anyone who has spent time in that part of Indiana could see that gag coming a mile away.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

El Grillo posted:

So does anyone know if there's a decent West Wing poster out there? The only one I can find is this rubbish, which is tiny and is for season 6/7 http://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Wing-Poster-TV-11/dp/B003T1P9OE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317122930&sr=8-1
...and also various 'Bartlet/Vinnick for America' posters.

Pretty much my entire group of friends these days have watched it, so it'd be cool to have around. Even just a larger version of the above poster design but from one of the earlier seasons would be awesome.

Bartlet For America poster: http://www.cafepress.com/b4a_dot_org.6159269

Leo's Napkin, framed with Bartlet for America on it: http://www.cafepress.co.uk/bartlet4us.61035771

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^Thanks man.
Holy Night - season 4 - another amazing episode, featuring Toby's dad (never did get all the links there, I get murder Inc. but I just don't understand quite what happened in the opening flashback scene).
To be honest the ending sequence with 'O Holy Night' by the Wiffenpoofs made me cry like a baby. Sometimes I guess West Wing just hits you like that :lol:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

El Grillo posted:

^^^Thanks man.
Holy Night - season 4 - another amazing episode, featuring Toby's dad (never did get all the links there, I get murder Inc. but I just don't understand quite what happened in the opening flashback scene).
To be honest the ending sequence with 'O Holy Night' by the Wiffenpoofs made me cry like a baby. Sometimes I guess West Wing just hits you like that :lol:

Toby was born right before the opening scene. His father was in the back of the car. His father eventually goes to jail and makes ladies raincoats. He gets out, is estranged from Toby. He shows up at the West Wing because Josh invited him. Eventually they reconcile when the Wiffenpoofs sing; Toby's dad was a huge Cole Porter fan and has deja vu.

Totally agree on the version of that song, too. Annoyingly, there are no scenes of this on Youtube.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
"Leo, for the rest of the night I'm going to be a half-hour smarter than you."

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Goddamn, Leo and Annabeth are so loving adorable.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Also, I'm putting this on my car. Proudly. Because it's completely appropriate.

El Grillo posted:

Another great clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOWzY68yZdo
"Hey Steve, hey Mikey" (confused looks from behind the walking President)
"Listen have I got any of the names right so far?"
"No sir, but you came drat close a couple of 'em"
"OK"

I'm laughing so hard here... Sac State and UOP... a couple of athletic powerhouses. :)

Exi7wound fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 29, 2011

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
My favourite bit in that 20hrs in america episode is Toby losing the wager with Josh.

"I'm Toby Ziegler .... .... I work at the White House"

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Could you please make it an offence to post links to Youtube videos in this thread.

Whenever I watch one EVERY. drat. TIME. I end up clicking follow on videos from the side or at the end of the video (even if I've seen them 27 times before sometimes!) and *bam* there's another 30 minutes of my life gone that I may have enjoyed but I'll never get back! :arghfist: Stupid West Wing and it's many moments of greatness and/or amusement.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

Toby was born right before the opening scene. His father was in the back of the car. His father eventually goes to jail and makes ladies raincoats. He gets out, is estranged from Toby. He shows up at the West Wing because Josh invited him. Eventually they reconcile when the Wiffenpoofs sing; Toby's dad was a huge Cole Porter fan and has deja vu.

Totally agree on the version of that song, too. Annoyingly, there are no scenes of this on Youtube.

Yeah I guess I meant what happens in that opening scene. The two guys go off (for some reason Toby's dad is told to stay behind) after the fat one has obviously hosed up. Only the thin one comes back - he killed the fat dude right (sorry, no other way to describe them).
Probably being completely dense here but it was never too clear to me even though I always assumed that's what happened.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I always took it that they messed the "job" up and only one of them came back from it. I'm presuming that the scene was to show that Toby's father, whilst not getting his hands wet as it were, go to know firsthand exactly what he was participating in and the fact he did jailtime later suggested he wasn't put off by it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Huh...I don't know why, but I figured the thin one wanted the fat one dead because he screwed up, and thin one killed fattie during the job in the hotel. I need to watch that episode again to be sure.

But El Grillo, you are correct. Thin guy killed fat guy.

Fanzana, the reason I felt the thin one purposefully killed the fat one is the look he has when he comes back, like "No big deal, he's dead. So, what'd you name your son?"

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Fair enough.

Sometimes you can watch a scene more than once over a period of time and see the same thing each time, probably just keeping the initial idea in your head and not thinking about it again. Then someone else tells you what they thought it meant and you suddenly see it differently, on my next series watch through I'll be looking out for that and will probably /facepalm I had it wrong all along :v:

Talking of rewatching, I hate watching every single time the timeline around where Toby and Bartlett are discussing (and ultimately falling out over) Jeb's father. I don't even relate to it personally but maybe it's just how well they play their roles that it's the only part of the whole run I don't like viewing again.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 29, 2011

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

MrBling posted:

My favourite bit in that 20hrs in america episode is Toby losing the wager with Josh.

"I'm Toby Ziegler .... .... I work at the White House"

Even when Josh shakes his head to indicate that he doesn't have to do it at the end.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Stuface posted:

Even when Josh shakes his head to indicate that he doesn't have to do it at the end.

I got the impression there that every other time he'd said it it had been pointless, or that it had made him seem arrogant, but in that particular instance it was actually an asset because he was giving the guy a chance to tell his problems to someone who could actually do something about it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I got the impression there that every other time he'd said it it had been pointless, or that it had made him seem arrogant, but in that particular instance it was actually an asset because he was giving the guy a chance to tell his problems to someone who could actually do something about it.

And that was the point. The whole point of the bet was to tack something that was pointless at best on the end of an introduction, but in this case it really meant something, which is why Josh motioned he didn't have to do it, but Toby did it anyway, because Toby is Toby.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Wait til you see 2012's results.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!
My favorites are Charlie and the President. The scene where he gives him the carving knife never fails to make me cry like a small child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omXyJcGv-4U&feature=player_detailpage#t=133s :3:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Man, Trent Fords french accent is terrible. I hope he isnt in too many episodes.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

MrBling posted:

Man, Trent Fords french accent is terrible. I hope he isnt in too many episodes.
Everyone hates the scenes he's in because everyone would hate their ex to be dating that guy in real life.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO

kissyboots13 posted:

My favorites are Charlie and the President. The scene where he gives him the carving knife never fails to make me cry like a small child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omXyJcGv-4U&feature=player_detailpage#t=133s :3:

I have to agree. That's one of the best scenes in the series because you get Paul Revere out of nowhere.

The holiday episodes hold a special place for me. They seem to capture the fall off of productivity on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving very well. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

"Well over three and a half centuries ago, strengthened by faith and bound by a common desire for liberty, a small band of pilgrims sought out a place in the New World where they could worship according to their own beliefs... and solve crimes."

"By day, they churn butter and worship according to their own beliefs and by night, they solve crimes."

• Locked thread