Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

DerDestroyer posted:

So I'm still kind of confused about VW's reliability record. Supposedly the MK4s and MK5s were really bad and the MK6s are better. I keep seeing these conflicting reports where reviewers etc say that the Golf is solidly built with high quality standards. But then you check a forum and you get people bitching about the HPFP making GBS threads the bed (to be fair I think this is unlikely to happen to most of us).

If I'm going to drop 34 grand on this car I need to know if I'm going to get my money's worth. It would suck to buy this only to find I was better off leasing it or something.

Fortunately it seems most owners of the MKVI don't seem to have that many problems compared to say 2012 Focus Titanium owners who are reporting things like their car failing to start up, their car doors rattling, the my ford touch system completely failing and other issues. I'm hoping that when I buy an MKVI TDI that I can expect to have it run well for at least 10 years, it's part of the reason why I'm buying a diesel in the first place.

In the worst case scenario I could just get a TSX. It's about the same price as a Golf, maybe a little more and it offers more power and a proven reliability record.

Thirty Four Thousand American Dollars on a Golf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

Mr. Powers posted:

VW piston retractor tool.

You can rent them (for free with deposit) from Advance Auto or whatever is near you.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

japanese woman posted:

Thirty Four Thousand American Dollars on a Golf?

No. I live in Canada. We have more standard features on the Golf than the Americans and they group options into package trim levels named Trendline, Comfortline, Highline etc. You can only get a VW Golf TDI in Canada under the "Comfortline" trim or higher which involves 17" rims 8 speaker sound system, sport suspension etc. With the "multimedia package" that adds the 8 speaker sound system you get a price of about $28,125.00.

Follow so far? Slap on the Freight, Taxes, More Taxes, random dealer admin fees (about 400) and the price shoots up to $34,340 Canadian dollars which happen to be worth more than American dollars right now. Apparently it's non negotiable as well because the dealer says this is the price VW gives them and they have no say on it. On other forums people say TDIs are in high demand so you can't really knock anything off the price.

Spring out a little more for the next trim up and you get leather seats, power sunroof etc but you don't get the Xenon headlamps with LED running lights since some rear end in a top hat in VW Canada decided we don't need this and the price with all taxes and fees included comes out to 38362 which is very close to what you get for a base GTI that has the Xenon lights and LED poo poo.

I understand it's important to know what kinds of fees and so on go into your car but my European sensibilities always have me quoting the final price I pay for things and I loathe how people in this country have a habit of giving you base prices for everything with the tax calculated only when you make your purchase. It's so counter intuitive and stupid and in European countries wherever you go you're going to find things priced by the FINAL price you pay not some stupid pre-tax bullshit, but I digress.

EDIT: Both trims I quoted are with DSG transmission.

You guys should check the configurator on the German VW site. You can literally configure every single tiny little aspect of your car and have like 50 colours to choose from. No need to get pidgeonholed into option packages you don't want.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 24, 2011

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

DerDestroyer posted:

No. I live in Canada. We have more standard features on the Golf than the Americans and they group options into package trim levels named Trendline, Comfortline, Highline etc. You can only get a VW Golf TDI in Canada under the "Comfortline" trim or higher which involves 17" rims 8 speaker sound system, sport suspension etc. With the "multimedia package" that adds the 8 speaker sound system you get a price of about $28,125.00.

Follow so far? Slap on the Freight, Taxes, More Taxes, random dealer admin fees (about 400) and the price shoots up to $34,340 Canadian dollars which happen to be worth more than American dollars right now. Apparently it's non negotiable as well because the dealer says this is the price VW gives them and they have no say on it. On other forums people say TDIs are in high demand so you can't really knock anything off the price.

Spring out a little more for the next trim up and you get leather seats, power sunroof etc but you don't get the Xenon headlamps with LED running lights since some rear end in a top hat in VW Canada decided we don't need this and the price with all taxes and fees included comes out to 38362 which is very close to what you get for a base GTI that has the Xenon lights and LED poo poo.

I understand it's important to know what kinds of fees and so on go into your car but my European sensibilities always have me quoting the final price I pay for things and I loathe how people in this country have a habit of giving you base prices for everything with the tax calculated only when you make your purchase. It's so counter intuitive and stupid and in European countries wherever you go you're going to find things priced by the FINAL price you pay not some stupid pre-tax bullshit, but I digress.

EDIT: Both trims I quoted are with DSG transmission.

You guys should check the configurator on the German VW site. You can literally configure every single tiny little aspect of your car and have like 50 colours to choose from. No need to get pidgeonholed into option packages you don't want.

I really thought I was getting ripped off when I paid 22.1 for my MY10 in June 2010, here that would get you a Golf R. Puts things into perspective.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

japanese woman posted:

I really thought I was getting ripped off when I paid 22.1 for my MY10 in June 2010, here that would get you a Golf R. Puts things into perspective.

Wow, we can't even buy a Golf R in Canada. I'm beginning to understand why some people just drive down to Buffalo to buy their cars.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

DerDestroyer posted:

Wow, we can't even buy a Golf R in Canada. I'm beginning to understand why some people just drive down to Buffalo to buy their cars.

If it's the difference between saving almost 10 grand wouldn't it be worth it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It won't be that much, you still have to pay all the sales taxes, plus another ~6% duty on a non-NAFTA assembled car. Maybe a bit more if you go for the Mexican Jetta instead. Plus Canadian VW dealers won't honour the warranty on a US car (VW Canada standard bumper to bumper warranty is 4 years, vs 3 years for VW US) so you will have to take it back across the border for warranty work. This was a new policy that started in 2009 or something, so if your friends bought US cars before that they still got the warranty.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 24, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Heh, in the US the Touareg has a 10 year powertrain warranty standard.

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
As predicted I went full retard and purchased new axles, complete front control arm kit, wheel bearings, and Vogtland coilovers.

To be installed on jackstands in my apartment complex parking lot :ohdear:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Billy Tully posted:

If it has disc brakes in the back it needs the windback tool.

Bolkovr posted:

You can rent them (for free with deposit) from Advance Auto or whatever is near you.

Thanks to both of you. A quick glance last weekend and I thought I saw discs, but I've seen lots of places referencing them as having drums. I'll check when I install the alternator today.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

cinder posted:

As predicted I went full retard and purchased new axles, complete front control arm kit, wheel bearings, and Vogtland coilovers.

To be installed on jackstands in my apartment complex parking lot :ohdear:

Do you live anywhere in the rust belt?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

DerDestroyer posted:

Word is we're getting the Golf R in Canada early in 2012. It was certain about 6 months ago but the dealers are waffling now because the price was too high.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Is the '03 Passat Wagon with the 1.8T cursed or something? My mother just got one, and I read a fair number of people saying that it was lovely.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
This seems like far too good a deal to be true... Any thoughts? I've been torn between a 2006/7 wrx and a newer GTI and was ready to drop $15.5k on a 2006 wrx TR. This popped up for a grand more, is 2 years newer, with 50k less miles on it. I want to go take a look at it tomorrow!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...e&&aff=national

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Sinestro posted:

Is the '03 Passat Wagon with the 1.8T cursed or something? My mother just got one, and I read a fair number of people saying that it was lovely.

Its all about service history and upkeep. If the Passat your mom got has been well maintained then it will tend to be a pretty good car. Yes, the 1.8T can have sludge issues but if it's had regular synthetic oil changes then it's much less likely to be a problem.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Where I am a lot of people have premature cambelt failure on the 1.8t (even by the revised down replacement interval)

I don't know whether this is typical, or something to do with the markets the cars were originally sold in (mostly Japan and Singapore)

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

dissss posted:

Where I am a lot of people have premature cambelt failure on the 1.8t (even by the revised down replacement interval)

I don't know whether this is typical, or something to do with the markets the cars were originally sold in (mostly Japan and Singapore)

While I've heard of premature timing belt failures in the 1.8T, I've seen far, FAR more broken timing belts that were the result of owner negligence. Not to say there haven't been belts that let go before the scheduled interval but in my experience it's been relatively few in comparison.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Reliability be damned, I WILL have my Golf TDI, I don't even care anymore. I'll be a VW/Audi man till I die.

nocarbon
Apr 6, 2002
Going to put an 18K offer in on this B6 S4 Convertible. Audiworld seems to have a high opinion on reliability of these things. Anyone here own one?

nocarbon fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 26, 2011

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

nocarbon posted:

Going to put an 18K offer in on this B6 S4 Convertible. Audiworld seems to have a high opinion on reliability of these things. Anyone here own one?

Definitely a good choice. Not a fan of the color or the convertible, but the motor and trans are reliable.

Check out JHMotorsports for some sweet gofast modz.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nocarbon posted:

I like both the car and the color. Just last week I bought a car from that area of Michigan and I am surprised at how corrosion-free it is, considering it's only a few hours from rust belt central... I think that part of Michigan is far enough North that they use something other than salt on the roads?

nocarbon
Apr 6, 2002

RapeWhistle posted:

Definitely a good choice. Not a fan of the color or the convertible, but the motor and trans are reliable.

Check out JHMotorsports for some sweet gofast modz.

Thanks very much. Will do.

meatpimp posted:

I like both the car and the color. Just last week I bought a car from that area of Michigan and I am surprised at how corrosion-free it is, considering it's only a few hours from rust belt central... I think that part of Michigan is far enough North that they use something other than salt on the roads?

Yeah, up in the UP and parts of the northern LP is a sand and salt mixture. Lake effect snow means a majority of us use dedicated winter tires anyway. You need to be more mindful of paint wear if the car lacked mudflaps.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nocarbon posted:

Yeah, up in the UP and parts of the northern LP is a sand and salt mixture. Lake effect snow means a majority of us use dedicated winter tires anyway. You need to be more mindful of paint wear if the car lacked mudflaps.

This is the downside of that part of the country -- a large number of the roads are gravel (why???), so there is a larger than normal amount of stone chips on the hood and a bit of wear on the rockers. I put mudflaps on this weekend so it won't degrade further, but overall, it's in fantastic condition.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Not to sound like a dick or anything but are they going to continue giving us Golfs produced in Wolfsburg? I must admit part of the charm of the Golf for me is because it's built there. I mean surely the American markets are satisfied enough with a watered down Jetta and Passat? I'm hoping the Golf can be the premium cult fan car for people like me who are crazy enough to spend that much.

The VW Chattanooga plant in Tennessee is state of the art and I think they can build a lot more than just Passats there so I got a feeling the Golf is going to get built there too.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

DerDestroyer posted:

Not to sound like a dick or anything but are they going to continue giving us Golfs produced in Wolfsburg? I must admit part of the charm of the Golf for me is because it's built there. I mean surely the American markets are satisfied enough with a watered down Jetta and Passat? I'm hoping the Golf can be the premium cult fan car for people like me who are crazy enough to spend that much.

The VW Chattanooga plant in Tennessee is state of the art and I think they can build a lot more than just Passats there so I got a feeling the Golf is going to get built there too.

You already said 2 posts up that you don't even care about reliability, and yet you still want a German built car. Tell us more about why you hate brown people and only buy cars built in the fatherland by the master race.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My Mk4 GTI was built in Brazil and was stupid reliable. :)

I do like that I actually have a German car. That said, if they made a Passat wagon I'd be all over it. I would just give it a few years for the plant to hopefully iron out some issues, especially as this is the first production year for the redone Passat.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

You already said 2 posts up that you don't even care about reliability, and yet you still want a German built car. Tell us more about why you hate brown people and only buy cars built in the fatherland by the master race.

Haha.It doesn't HAVE to be built in Wolfsburg I just don't want it getting watered down with the rest of their offerings. Feel free to get upset and put words in my mouth some more.I will say that the American markets have ruined the Jetta and Passat and they're going to ruin the Golf if demand for a hatch increases some.

I love it when goons fly into a rage over stuff like this, it works every time. I'm here to talk about cars, not trigger some knee-jerk morality police reactions. If you want to discuss that poo poo take it to D&D. The brown people comment was also completely uncalled for. Hope you enjoy rattling doors and leaky sunroofs in your American built car jackass.

But in all seriousness I have high hopes for Chattanooga giving Volkswagen more market share and hopefully saving some of the more premium offerings like the Golf, Touraeg etc from being phased out so that the niche crowd can still buy into those while the average joe is satisfied with his Jetta.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 27, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

Haha.It doesn't HAVE to be built in Wolfsburg I just don't want it getting watered down with the rest of their offerings. Feel free to get upset and put words in my mouth some more.I will say that the American markets have ruined the Jetta and Passat and they're going to ruin the Golf if demand for a hatch increases some.

I love it when goons fly into a rage over stuff like this, it works every time. I'm here to talk about cars, not trigger some knee-jerk morality police reactions. If you want to discuss that poo poo take it to D&D. The brown people comment was also completely uncalled for. Hope you enjoy rattling doors and leaky sunroofs in your American built car jackass.

The funny thing is that door rattles and leaky sunroofs are some of the biggest complaints about VWs, including the ones built in Germany. That and the electrical gremlins.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

The funny thing is that door rattles and leaky sunroofs are some of the biggest complaints about VWs, including the ones built in Germany. That and the electrical gremlins.

I know, I know but snarky jackass comments deserve snarky jackass responses. Having a car built in Germany has no real impact on quality since most assembly processes are 90% automated anyway and the workers are just people who fine tune things in a very modular way that there's no way they could theoretically gently caress it be they Mexican German or American. It's more of a prestige thing than a matter of substance.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bovril Delight posted:

Well it won't be an issue for him in any case since he already said he doesn't care whether the wheels fall off, only that Germans build it. Typical VAG racists at least try to insinuate that the German built cars are somehow higher quality (and then stop posting after being asked to provide evidence). In this respect DerDestroyer's frankness is refreshing.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Well it won't be an issue for him in any case since he already said he doesn't care whether the wheels fall off, only that Germans build it. Typical VAG racists at least try to insinuate that the German built cars are somehow higher quality (and then stop posting after being asked to provide evidence). In this respect DerDestroyer's frankness is refreshing.

I love how you equate the desire to have a car from a particular place to racism. I bet it pisses you right off that France has laws where you can't label something Cognac unless it was made in the Cognac region. I at least admit that what I want is purely irrational and emotional in origin. You on the other hand are being completely irrational with this racism bullshit. You're probably talking about the people who build the cars as opposed to the cars themselves but it honestly sounds like you're trying to tell me a Brazillian made VW has feelings and that I'm somehow hurting them by suggesting I wanted one with a W in the VIN number.

Just drop it, if they start building Golfs in Chattanooga I'll get over it but it looks like you won't get over yourself. At they end of the day they built some state of the art facilities there and I trust VW Group to keep whatever quality they appear to have going no matter where the vehicle is built. At the very least a couple hundred poor souls reeling from the recession will have some decent jobs now.

At the end of the day be it GM, Hyundai, Toyota, Lada or whatever I'd like to have it built where the company was originally from. It's not a racism issue it's just an emotional feeling of authenticity and has no bearing on reality, I know that. It's not like any of this even matters anymore, be it Ford, Toyota or Volkswagen all the parts are made by MAGNA anyway.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 27, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DerDestroyer posted:

At the end of the day be it GM, Hyundai, Toyota, Lada or whatever I'd like to have it built where the company was originally from. It's not a racism issue it's just an emotional feeling of authenticity and has no bearing on reality, I know that. It's not like any of this even matters anymore, be it Ford, Toyota or Volkswagen all the parts are made by MAGNA anyway.

How did your Mustang restoration go?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Sooooooooo

I have an '04 2.0 Standard Jetta.

I replaced the driver side headlight, and when I went to put the battery back in I put it in backwards. I did not start the car, once I saw the spark from the terminal I knew I had hosed up and quickly switched it out.

Turn on the car, the battery light is glowing. I drive over to autozone and have them run a charging test, they tell me my alternator is bad.

Great, I'm thinking I somehow fried it when I put the battery in wrong. This is turning into an expensive headlight. I get the alternator switched out (they had one in stock) and the battery light is still on, only flickering now instead of a constant glow.

I run back to Autozone, they determine I have a bad voltage regulator on the $270 alternator they just sold me. That gets swapped out with another alternator they rush order for me, battery is still refusing to charge.

Battery is good. Alternator is good. Or so Autozone would have me believe. What on earth else could I have fried to cause this? I'm at my wits end here. Tomorrow it's off to a mechanic I can ill afford.

Also I thought cars these days had some protection built in for idiot moves like I pulled with the battery.

e - Also checked fuses, first thing I did. No dice.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Tell us more about why you hate brown people and only buy cars built in the fatherland by the master race.

Are you loving retarded? Why am I even asking.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Just picked up this 2007 A3 TDI, in the bland-est color and configuration:

I am very happy with it, it replaces the brand new BMW 120D that I hated due to the horrible interior quality. The ride dynamics couldn't make up for that, so I'm back with Audi.

Anyway, it's a european-spec attraction model, so there's practically no equipment :( How easy/expensive is it to retrofit the following:

- Ambient light / reading lights in the front
- Sports-leather steering wheel (I have a 4-spoke steering wheel, there might be some issues with the airbag, right?)
- Cruise control
- Nicer gearknob for the manual unit
- The car is equipped with a surprisingly good Chorus II radio, do I have any options for connecting my iPhone (or an iPod) to this?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DerDestroyer posted:

Reliability be damned, I WILL have my Golf TDI, I don't even care anymore. I'll be a VW/Audi man till I die.

To be fair, Canadian TDI fuel pumps arent making GBS threads themselves like us here in the US. I'm pretty sure it's because Canada actually has GOOD diesel. Don't get the dsg though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

To be fair, Canadian TDI fuel pumps arent making GBS threads themselves like us here in the US. I'm pretty sure it's because Canada actually has GOOD diesel. Don't get the dsg though.

Canada has had their HPFP failures too. The wear scar is lower in Canada but the problem is the design of the Bosch pump.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

Canada has had their HPFP failures too. The wear scar is lower in Canada but the problem is the design of the Bosch pump.

Ah, I had only heard of 1 Canadian failure. I'm under warranty for 7/100 so I'm not too worried, either they recall the pumps or I get fixed under warranty, or I trade the car in when the warranty is up :)

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Is that because the DSG requires an expensive maintenance at 40,000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DerDestroyer posted:

Is that because the DSG requires an expensive maintenance at 40,000?

That, plus you'll get much better mileage with the 6mt, save 1000 when you buy the car, and none of those pesky motronic(sp?) issues.