Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Yes, he's wrong. American Strats are still made in the USA. The normal standards are Mexican made. How did he even get this idea?

Maybe he thinks Corona is in Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
So in the mindset of being cheap I wanted to see if this is possible without blowing anything up.

I sold my guitar amps a while back and I've just been using a Zoom G2 pedal with headphones to practice. I have a guitar cab sitting around that is not being used. Can I just buy a cheap powered mixer and hook the output from that to my guitar cab and the line out from the zoom into the mixer? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

gwaaargh posted:

Hey musicians: I'm doing some research on auditory processing, and, to cut a long story short, I need to create a range of synthesised instruments (i.e., use sounds that aren't associated with what a non-musician would call a traditional instrument). Can anybody recommend some good, free software that'll let me do this? Some people have pointed me in the direction of MAX/MSP and Ableton Live, and I will get round to trying the trials, but I think I'll need a permanent solution.

http://unfungames.com/mariopaint/

:v:

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Graphite in the nut slot probably won't help much.
You can build a nut slot up with baking soda and crazy glue and re-file it to a proper depth.
If you go to a hardware store and find a welding torch tip cleaner set it makes a handy/cheap set of nut files in a pinch. Just go slow and check it often.

For the other one find a short length of metal with a known straight side and use it to span frets 8,9,10 if it rocks at all that fret is high and needs to be either filed down till it is level or it is coming out of the slot and needs re-set.

Can you explain the superglue/baking soda method? I've got a similar problem and am looking to fix it. Are there any other ghetto methods I can use? I guess I'm asking if dabbing some Elmers in the nut slot would work, even temporarily.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Can't help you with the macgyver school of luthiery but I will say nut blanks aren't really that expensive if you're willing to file them yourself. You can get a graphtech blank for like 5 bucks.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You just put a little bit of baking soda in the slot and put a drop of super glue on it. It will harden instantly, there might be a little wisp of smoke.
Then just file it flush with the top and re-cut your nut or if it needs to be built up more do another round.

True nut blanks are cheap but if you just need to bring one slot up just a tad this takes 5 mins.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

gwaaargh posted:

Hey musicians: I'm doing some research on auditory processing, and, to cut a long story short, I need to create a range of synthesised instruments (i.e., use sounds that aren't associated with what a non-musician would call a traditional instrument). Can anybody recommend some good, free software that'll let me do this? Some people have pointed me in the direction of MAX/MSP and Ableton Live, and I will get round to trying the trials, but I think I'll need a permanent solution.

Synth1 for a capable free synthesizer:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/214.html

Reaper or Kristal for cheap or free software to run the synth:
http://www.reaper.fm/
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

If you put the .dll file for synth1 into a folder in 'program files' called 'vstplugins' you should be able to access it in the software. You'll also have to either get a keyboard that can send midi (note information) to your computer or look up on google how to use a computer keyboard to play notes. Kristal is very bare bones and will probably be the easiest to figure out for your purposes.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Cool, thanks!

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

Yes, he's wrong. American Strats are still made in the USA. The normal standards are Mexican made. How did he even get this idea?

No idea at all! Cheers for the clarification.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
This might be a question for computer people instead, but I figure I'll try.

I'm recording into my HP Pro-book via a microphone/mackie/line out setup, directly into the microphone input. However, whenever I try to record, the computer (on Audacity, but I think it happens when I use Reaper too) dulls the input, so that if I were to strum some chords on the guitar, the first strike will be loud and powerful, but it slowly gets quieter until it evens out all muddy like. It happens too when I record directly line in, without a microphone. Any idea what could be causing it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

lechunnel posted:

No idea at all! Cheers for the clarification.

For what it's worth, they've probably got a lot of Mexican immigrant workers, so in a sense they might be Mexican made!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

big business sloth posted:

This might be a question for computer people instead, but I figure I'll try.

I'm recording into my HP Pro-book via a microphone/mackie/line out setup, directly into the microphone input. However, whenever I try to record, the computer (on Audacity, but I think it happens when I use Reaper too) dulls the input, so that if I were to strum some chords on the guitar, the first strike will be loud and powerful, but it slowly gets quieter until it evens out all muddy like. It happens too when I record directly line in, without a microphone. Any idea what could be causing it?

My suspicion is that it's something to do with your sound card trying to regulate its own input through the microphone amp. I don't know much about laptop sound cards, but I have a similar setup on my PC, and I only ever use the line-in on my sound card, not the mic-in, to avoid the sound card's amplifier.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Ok that does sound about right. So how do I avoid it exactly?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

big business sloth posted:

Ok that does sound about right. So how do I avoid it exactly?

I don't actually know. Step one, see if you have a separate line-in port on your laptop. I don't think laptop sound cards generally have those, I could be wrong---as I said, laptops aren't my scene. Second, dig around in the settings for your sound card, probably via the Control Panel, see what you can do in there. There may be some sort of option regarding the sound card's regulation of incoming signal.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

The Mystery Date posted:

Synth1 for a capable free synthesizer:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/214.html

Reaper or Kristal for cheap or free software to run the synth:
http://www.reaper.fm/
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

If you put the .dll file for synth1 into a folder in 'program files' called 'vstplugins' you should be able to access it in the software. You'll also have to either get a keyboard that can send midi (note information) to your computer or look up on google how to use a computer keyboard to play notes. Kristal is very bare bones and will probably be the easiest to figure out for your purposes.

This is great, thank you!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Heck, bone nuts are five bucks.

By the way, if your friend wants to see for himself about Fenders, he can now.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/22/entertainment/la-et-fender-factory-20110922

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

I'm looking for PC drum machine/looping software that will a) have a drum sample library that I can assign to a MIDI device, and b) make it easy to just hammer out a rhythm in real-time and loop it. It would be nice if it could snap hits to a grid of 32nds or 16ths or whatever in case I'm slightly off. Basically I don't want to program loops with a mouse; I'd like to play what's in my head and not deal with trying to manipulate a drum machine to get the rhythm I want. Suggestions?

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I've got an Agile-3100. Pretty much the only thing I would change in it are the pickups, and I plan to do that soon. The problem is, I'm really not sure which pickups to get. I do prefer a more high-gain sound, and most people are recommending EMG 81/85s for that. But if I went with those, would I be locked into a more metal sound all the time? I guess what I really want is a more versatile pickup. Any suggestions?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
EMGs have pretty nice cleans, and there are plenty of funk players who use them. That being said, they're not really my go-to choice. What kind of high gain sound are you looking for? Give me an album or a band to go off of.

Scipio Africanus
Dec 4, 2005

Enslave the Elephants!
I'm not a musician, but how does sampling a bass line or a few lines of vocals work? Does the sampler write to the label of the sample and get the just the layers from the song they need, or do they have to strip out the unnecessary layers from a commercial release?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes there are acapella releases or other mixes of a particular song (used to be included on the CD single a lot of the time, not sure if that still happens) that will let you steal the unsullied vocals/bassline, but other than that it's just getting the piece out of the commercial release and cleaning it up as best as you can. I have seen a few artists that put all the tracks from their songs online and say "have at it" for those interested in doing remixes, but that's really up to the artist themselves.

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!

dissin department posted:

I've got an Agile-3100. Pretty much the only thing I would change in it are the pickups, and I plan to do that soon. The problem is, I'm really not sure which pickups to get. I do prefer a more high-gain sound, and most people are recommending EMG 81/85s for that. But if I went with those, would I be locked into a more metal sound all the time? I guess what I really want is a more versatile pickup. Any suggestions?

I put Burstbucker Pros in mine, and I'm really happy with them -- they yield a pretty Page-y tone, if that's what you're looking for.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
This seems to be the best place to ask:

What is the bit of music between 1970's TV show segments called? For an example, the bit in batman where the batlogo goes down a trippy tunnel and comes back, "meanwhile, back at the batcave".

I've searched high and low, and I can't find it. I've looked for sting, segue and transition, and am getting nothing. Once I know what the correct terminology is, everything should become wonderful.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

EMGs have pretty nice cleans, and there are plenty of funk players who use them. That being said, they're not really my go-to choice. What kind of high gain sound are you looking for? Give me an album or a band to go off of.

I like the tone on a lot of Coheed and Cambria songs. Nothing too crazy or out there, just a typical distorted rock tone really.
I don't really play metal except sometimes for fun, so if the pickups don't quite nail a metal tone i'm not too concerned about that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like the tone on a lot of Coheed and Cambria songs. Nothing too crazy or out there, just a typical distorted rock tone really.
I don't really play metal except sometimes for fun, so if the pickups don't quite nail a metal tone i'm not too concerned about that.

Coheed and Cambria seem to either be playing with Les Paul standards or Seymour Duncans, sadly most non-EMG/signature humbuckers look pretty similar from afar, but Seymour Duncans are a pretty nice collection of pick-ups - my friend had some that sounded lovely for both jazz (in standard) and metal (in drop C).

That said, I have the 81/85 combo and find it's more than lovely for Coheed and Cambria style - really unless you have very specific demands I find it hard to make a "wrong" choice for pick-ups. My tech teacher always told me that some of the best sounds came from deliberate misuse of the equipment.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Look into a JB/59 or JB/Jazz combo from Seymour Duncan, and look at the super distortion and PAFs from DiMarzio. There's nothing wrong with EMGs, like I said, but I just really don't like the compression or feel of them anymore. I never tried running them at 18v though.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

frankenbeans posted:

This seems to be the best place to ask:

What is the bit of music between 1970's TV show segments called? For an example, the bit in batman where the batlogo goes down a trippy tunnel and comes back, "meanwhile, back at the batcave".

I've searched high and low, and I can't find it. I've looked for sting, segue and transition, and am getting nothing. Once I know what the correct terminology is, everything should become wonderful.

Maybe "interstitial"?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RandomCheese posted:

Maybe "interstitial"?

Yeah, yeesh there's so many words it could be. I'd have assumed some kind of "wipe" but then this isn't something I'm knowledgeable about.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Eyecatch?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's the piece between the show and the advert breaks.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
'Interstitial' brings up a lot of advertising stuff, and lungs (?) I was sure it was sting, but all that seems to get me is whooosh sounds.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 29, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've finally got around to messing around with my PodX3. How do I edit patches from my computer instead of having to go through the aggravating combinations of button presses when using the unit solo?

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've been meaning to buy an acoustic guitar for years. I play mostly fingerstyle/roots/flatpicking/bluegrass music. I want a Martin 00-15 (i.e. a smaller sized folk guitar, but I'm not averse to buying a medium sized one) but it's out of my price range. I have realistically £300-400 to spend -- maybe up to £450. This is about $450 to $650, though god knows guitar prices differ between the US and UK so that conversion is probably useless.

I don't care if it's electroacoustic or just straight acoustic. In fact I'd rather the latter, so I could attach a pickup of my choice.

What guitar would people recommend I buy?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've finally got around to messing around with my PodX3. How do I edit patches from my computer instead of having to go through the aggravating combinations of button presses when using the unit solo?

Download the line 6 software. The line 6 monkey(stupid name) will update the drivers for you automatically and allow you to get the gearbox software to edit it with.
It will even enable you to back up your patches.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
I've been thinking about upgrading from my lovely Pacifica to a proper, big boys, guitar. At the moment I'm lusting after a Gibson SG Special, but I'm a bit worried about the neck. A few years ago I had a Epiphone G400 that, when you let get of the neck, it immeadiatly nose dived. Was that just a problem with that guitar or is it a quirk of the SG line as a whole?

Sadsack fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 3, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sadsack posted:

I've been thinking about upgrading from my lovely Pacification to a proper, big boys, guitar. At the moment I'm lusting after a Gibson SG Special, but I'm a bit worried about the neck. A few years ago I had a Epiphone G400 that, when you let get of the neck, it immeadiatly nose dived. Was that just a problem with that guitar or is it a quirk of the SG line as a whole?

SGs have necks made of treetrunks. They are meant for burly men and women to hoist aloft with bulging, barbarian-like thews.

(I play a Telecaster.)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Tis a tradition of the SG to nosedive. That's why my Malden Subhuman has the huge top fork, and why Sister Rosetta Tharpe had hers with a string afore the nut.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
I asked this in the Intermediate/Expert guitar thread, but I'll ask it here as well.

Question about classical guitars: I've been playing this old Dauphin for about 20 years now. I love the gently caress out of it, but it's muddy-sounding and I think it's time to upgrade.

What's a good brand/line of classical guitars in the 2K-3K range? I see the Ramirez 4NE mentioned quite a bit--what else should I be looking at?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sadsack posted:

I've been thinking about upgrading from my lovely Pacification to a proper, big boys, guitar. At the moment I'm lusting after a Gibson SG Special, but I'm a bit worried about the neck. A few years ago I had a Epiphone G400 that, when you let get of the neck, it immeadiatly nose dived. Was that just a problem with that guitar or is it a quirk of the SG line as a whole?

That's just the way SGs are. Some are better than others about it. If you play with a wide or leather strap, you won't have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Allen Wren posted:

SGs have necks made of treetrunks. They are meant for burly men and women to hoist aloft with bulging, barbarian-like thews.

(I play a Telecaster.)

A good point, well made. I'll get one of these instead then...

:black101: