Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

PT6A posted:

So, how does one avoid shifting into 7th from 4th, I wonder?

Let go of shifter to let it center, then engage, push over to last click, slide back, and down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Honestly I don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Do you often shift from 2nd to 5th accidentally?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

I would guess 7th is spaced quite a distance to the side since it's not expected to be used much other than for lazy highway cruising.

Or maybe it will be a gated shifter.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

MrSaturn posted:

Honestly I don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Do you often shift from 2nd to 5th accidentally?

With only 2 or 3 gates there's no ambiguity when it comes to left/center/right.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

PT6A posted:

I think the 7th gear on the Porsche is going to be super tall so they will probably make it so you have to go more like you do to get into reverse on a 6 speed then just siding up like you would for 6th. On Porsche they were saying 1-6 would be close ratio and 7 would be tall iirc.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just saw this on Insideline. When you hit the "eco" button on the Infiniti M56 the force feedback motor in the gas pedal literally push back and fight you when you try to get on the gas.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/09/2011-infiniti-m56-an-entirely-different-kind-of-pedal.html

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Throatwarbler posted:

Just saw this on Insideline. When you hit the "eco" button on the Infiniti M56 the force feedback motor in the gas pedal literally push back and fight you when you try to get on the gas.

Ah, the technology of Logitech's iSuck Driveman.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe they can take a cue from BMW and simultaneously start playing through the stereo a recording of a woman screaming and begging you to stop. Increased driver engagement. :eng99:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Why stop there, why not have the nav screen flash images and videos of increasing disturbing content to match the throttle opening. 100% throttle is photos of mass pits full of bodies, the burnt remains of oil rig crew members who've died in accidents, mass death and destruction caused by oil. The blackbox recording of people in the last second of their lives crying for but a few more moments on this earth as their existence is snuffed out capturing the fuel of your vehicle. All that fuel you're pissing away. A slower moving car pulls into your lane on the highway, you hit the blinker and your passengers face blank with the horror of what they will have to experience. Its not what the car will be showing them though, theyre saddled with the knowledge of how readily disgrace the memory of the dead you lead footed sick gently caress.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Muffinpox posted:

Why stop there, why not have the nav screen flash images and videos of increasing disturbing content to match the throttle opening. 100% throttle is photos of mass pits full of bodies, the burnt remains of oil rig crew members who've died in accidents, mass death and destruction caused by oil. The blackbox recording of people in the last second of their lives crying for but a few more moments on this earth as their existence is snuffed out capturing the fuel of your vehicle. All that fuel you're pissing away. A slower moving car pulls into your lane on the highway, you hit the blinker and your passengers face blank with the horror of what they will have to experience. Its not what the car will be showing them though, theyre saddled with the knowledge of how readily disgrace the memory of the dead you lead footed sick gently caress.

Isn't this called iDrive?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
as long as you can turn it off i don't really see the issue

i am sure that it has a positive effect on your gas mileage

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New Hyundai Genesis (Ultra? SS? GTP?) spotted.

That's a really strange location for the blower, I guess since the Hyundai 3.8l is a 60* V engine they can't fit it in the engine valley?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

New Hyundai Genesis (Ultra? SS? GTP?) spotted.

That's a really strange location for the blower, I guess since the Hyundai 3.8l is a 60* V engine they can't fit it in the engine valley?

That actually looks like the aftercooler is in the valley with the roots blower hanging over one of the cylinder head.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

as long as you can turn it off i don't really see the issue

i am sure that it has a positive effect on your gas mileage
Or it really lets you do isolation work on your right calf muscle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Muffinpox posted:

Why stop there, why not have the nav screen flash images and videos of increasing disturbing content to match the throttle opening. .

I think they should install a fist that comes out and punches the driver in the crotch when they press the 'Eco' button - because anyone who buys a car like the M56 and wants economy deserves it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

69sofine posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5843721/nissan-europes-secret-godzilla+powered-super-juke

Apparently Nissan Europe wants to put the twin turbo v6 from the GTR into a Nissan Juke. I have no problems with this.

A Juke-R could be fun. Sort of like the old Pulsar GTI-R.

Nissan hasn't made a small sports car in a while.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

tobu posted:

A Juke-R could be fun. Sort of like the old Pulsar GTI-R.

Nissan hasn't made a small sports car in a while.

Agreed. I think I'm one of the few that finds the Juke to be a fun-looking little car. With the right powertrain and some suspension tweaks, it could be a seriously smile-inducing car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

With the right powertrain and some suspension tweaks, it could be a seriously smile-inducing car.

It's already got a turbo -- they should just really amp it up. and allow manual transmission

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The FWD Juke has a 6-speed manual transmission available. The AWD of course does not, and I'm assuming that's the only one you'd consider buying (me too).

The Juke engine is really cool though; it has a ton of future bullshit in it that will hopefully not be a repeat of the QR25DE engineering experiment.

Plus, it has this awesome video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8D8thlSn5Y

It's probably only a matter of time before it gets into the incredibly disappointing limp-noodle Versa as well.

e: Oh, I agree. I just meant that you, like me, would probably prefer both. vvv

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 27, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Eh, I'd rather get the manual and FWD than auto and AWD. The AWD wouldn't add that much more pleasure over having a stick.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Muffinpox posted:

Why stop there, why not have the nav screen flash images and videos of increasing disturbing content to match the throttle opening.

Only if they use the soundclip of from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where Gene Wilder goes insane on the boat.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, I was aware that the manual was available with the FWD, but match it up with the AWD and throw about 350 hp at it, and they'd have quite the ride.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I am seriously considering the Juke as a future purchase for the fiance. I'm sure it'll be on the second generation by that time, though. I love that the AWD isn't just Haldex and that there is some cargo room. I dislike that in order to get other creature comforts, you MUST have the sunroof. I'm really tall, it won't be my car, though. I would prefer a manual transmission with that engine, but she would definitely not. The styling is unique and from rolling around under one at the dealer and poking my head into the engine bay, it looks pretty easy to work on. It can comfortably seat four tall adults, as well. They really should delete the center rear lap belt on vehicles like that, though. There's no way you're safely fitting three adults across the back, and no way you would be able to fit even three booster seats with kids.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Skyssx posted:

I am seriously considering the Juke as a future purchase for the fiance. I'm sure it'll be on the second generation by that time, though. I love that the AWD isn't just Haldex and that there is some cargo room. I dislike that in order to get other creature comforts, you MUST have the sunroof. I'm really tall, it won't be my car, though. I would prefer a manual transmission with that engine, but she would definitely not. The styling is unique and from rolling around under one at the dealer and poking my head into the engine bay, it looks pretty easy to work on. It can comfortably seat four tall adults, as well. They really should delete the center rear lap belt on vehicles like that, though. There's no way you're safely fitting three adults across the back, and no way you would be able to fit even three booster seats with kids.

Good thing there is a period in life where you are neither an adult nor in a booster seat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You'd be surprised where you can fit three adults when you need to. I've been one of three people jammed in the back seat of a Lada 2102. I didn't think it was completely possible going into it, but it was!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
They need to enter it in WRC. Its tiny, 1.6L Turbo DI, AWD enabled chassis. Homologation manual/AWD special?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I really don't understand why Nissan decided that the Juke should be a CUV. The Juke looks so much better sitting at a normal ride height. Plus, its specs and styling (in the sense that it is unique) are so close to the Mini; it seems like it could have made a great Mini/GTI fighter.

eames
May 9, 2009

Hot Cops posted:

I know the V8.mp3 in the M5 is bad, but isn't BMW doing something similar to get the I6 sound out of the new 4 cylinder they're putting in the new Z cars? At least the M5 isn't faking it -as- bad.

The Z4 will have a 200W acoustic system and the Z4M will have the same engine with a ECU remap and a 600W acoustic system. Welcome to the future. :eng101:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

oRenj9 posted:

I really don't understand why Nissan decided that the Juke should be a CUV. The Juke looks so much better sitting at a normal ride height. Plus, its specs and styling (in the sense that it is unique) are so close to the Mini; it seems like it could have made a great Mini/GTI fighter.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

I never thought of it this way, but goddamn you're right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's substantially bigger than the Mini and bigger than the GTI.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I like the ride height. It can rock unplowed streets.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

It's substantially bigger than the Mini and bigger than the GTI.

Overall length is less than an inch longer than the MINI Cooper Countryman, it's skinnier than either, and has a mere four inches on (is 106% of) the GTI's height.

I was considering one a few months ago, but my car hasn't died yet so…

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

D C posted:

I wish this wasn't a photoshop.

Also, I am annoyed that there are no videos of people autocrossing these yet.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

MetaJew posted:

I wish this wasn't a photoshop.

Also, I am annoyed that there are no videos of people autocrossing these yet.

I thought that was real. The photoshop was missing the top headlights?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
You may be right, but this is what I had found when I first saw the image several months ago.

Source Article posted:

Truth to be said, Nissan's Juke has a controversial design that may not appeal to all taste - though, we'll take "controversial" over "bland" any time. And while we've yet to see any attempts to tune the crossover model, the guys over at Damnjdm commissioned this photoshop of a lowered Juke with deep-dish alloy wheels in a green shade and yellow-finished head lamps. Follow the break for a larger version of the picture and tell us what you think in the comments section.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

69sofine posted:

I thought that was real. The photoshop was missing the top headlights?

Look at the yellow pole behind the car on the left. Its a really good photoshop until you see where they chopped the picture to lower it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Let's not forget the Jukes sports-bike inspired centre console which I think looks awesome but it's just going to get scratched to poo poo right?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

tobu posted:

Let's not forget the Jukes sports-bike inspired centre console which I think looks awesome but it's just going to get scratched to poo poo right?
The variable button displays are pretty cool, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3Jy5q67i8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

hedge posted:

The variable button displays are pretty cool, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3Jy5q67i8

Holy poo poo, I want an accelerometer display in my car.