Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Even more obscure! Blaxploitation movies that, even among those who know the genre, are under-the-radar! Things that are genuinely hard to find!

I want the Cut-Throats Nine and The Boldest Job in the West of the genre.

Think along the same popularity lines as Up Tight! and Rod Serling's The Man.

Gotten some good stuff so far though. Somehow I've never heard of Penitentiary, which looks terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Alright, fine!

The Black Klansman, Cosmic Slop, Space is the Place (loving great film starring SUN RA), Trick Baby (which is the adaptation of Iceberg Slim's novel) and I recently watched Youngblood on Netflix streaming and was pleasantly surprised. I was looking at a list of stuff, and cherry-picked stuff I've seen and liked.

Mandingo is the blacksploitation Myra Breckenridge, but nobody ever talks about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would love to see a sci-fi film that is halfway as nice to look at as Planet of the Vampires.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would love to see a sci-fi film that is halfway as nice to look at as Planet of the Vampires.

Ignoring the obvious Alien/2001 stuff.

Phase IV, Queen of Blood, Invaders from Mars (original), Beyond the Time Barrier, Message from Space, Starcrash, X - The Man with X-Ray Eyes, Ikarie XB-1, Our Heavenly Bodies, Messiah of Evil, Altered States, The Creature Walks Among Us, The Colossus of New York, The Creation of the Humanoids, Son of Frankenstein.

Thanks for your list. Everyone always says Mandingo is so-bad-it's-good, but it's actually just really good. That thing is cruel.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Serendipitaet posted:

I love gangster and heist movies, especially British ones.

I've seen Snatch, RocknRolla, Layer Cake, the Godfather trilogy, and the Ocean's movies, but I'm looking for more. Basically anything with well dressed men (and women) committing crimes in style is what I'm looking for.

I've pimped it in this thread before, but my favorite movie in this genre is Heist with Gene Hackman and Delroy Lindo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Serendipitaet posted:

I've seen Snatch, RocknRolla, Layer Cake, the Godfather trilogy, and the Ocean's movies, but I'm looking for more. Basically anything with well dressed men (and women) committing crimes in style is what I'm looking for.

Heist is definitely awesome, and if you're interested in con movies as well as heist movies, The Spanish Prisoner (also by David Mamet) is worth watching, and The Sting (a classic with Newman and Redford) is the gold standard.

For whatever reason, I didn't care for The Bank Job, but you'll probably love it -- a British heist movie from a few years ago, starring Jason Statham. And since you liked Snatch, you must see Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, also with Statham, also by Guy Ritchie.

EDIT: How about Inception? It's a sci-fi heist movie with really well-dressed people. And there's always The Usual Suspects and Reservoir Dogs, which both deal with the aftermath of botched heists, and Goodfellas, the best gangster movie aside from Godfather 1 and 2 (which includes heists as well).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 28, 2011

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
One of my favorite heist movies is Rififi, a French noir film from the 50's.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I think maybe there should be a 'Frequently Asked Recommendations' in the OP for certain genres/subgenres of movies. Heists seem to come up a lot, and certain movies like Friends of Eddie Coyle have been recommended many times in this thread.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Loved Paris, Texas, what should I watch next? I especially liked the desert scenery, the constant feel of either the break of dawn or the approaching dusk, the whole roadmoviesh vibe, the excellent dialogue and superb acting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

These Loving Eyes posted:

Loved Paris, Texas, what should I watch next? I especially liked the desert scenery, the constant feel of either the break of dawn or the approaching dusk, the whole roadmoviesh vibe, the excellent dialogue and superb acting.

Alice in the Cities is another road movie by Wim Wenders that tackles similar themes. No desert landscapes, though.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

penismightier posted:

Even more obscure! Blaxploitation movies that, even among those who know the genre, are under-the-radar! Things that are genuinely hard to find!

I want the Cut-Throats Nine and The Boldest Job in the West of the genre.

Think along the same popularity lines as Up Tight! and Rod Serling's The Man.

Gotten some good stuff so far though. Somehow I've never heard of Penitentiary, which looks terrific.

Across 110th Street?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Any other movies where the protagonist fixates on revenge against someone that is remorseful for their crime, served their time and is trying to get back to their life. Like 21 Grams, Red Road or The Crossing Guard

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Heist is definitely awesome, and if you're interested in con movies as well as heist movies, The Spanish Prisoner (also by David Mamet) is worth watching, and The Sting (a classic with Newman and Redford) is the gold standard.

For whatever reason, I didn't care for The Bank Job, but you'll probably love it -- a British heist movie from a few years ago, starring Jason Statham. And since you liked Snatch, you must see Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, also with Statham, also by Guy Ritchie.

EDIT: How about Inception? It's a sci-fi heist movie with really well-dressed people. And there's always The Usual Suspects and Reservoir Dogs, which both deal with the aftermath of botched heists, and Goodfellas, the best gangster movie aside from Godfather 1 and 2 (which includes heists as well).

I got Heist but haven't watched it yet. I hadn't heard about the Spanish Prisoner at all and The Sting looks good, too. Both are noted.

The Bank Job seemed like well made movie, but for some reason I found it super boring. I tried watching Lock, Stock etc a few years ago and didn't like it then but I was probably too young really.

The rest I've seen and mostly enjoyed. Inception was cool. Although, I couldn't help but wonder the entire time why people were so up in arms about its complexity.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
Recommend me psychological horror films in the vein of Session 9 or Jacob's Ladder; the more disturbing the better.

Duncan Doenitz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 29, 2011

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Serendipitaet posted:

If you like British crime movies, you should see The Long Good Friday with Bob Hoskins. Hell, throw in Mona Lisa for extra Hoskins action, not to mention Michael Caine's scariest role ever.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

llama_arse posted:

Recommend me psychological horror films in the vein of Session 9 or Jacob's Ladder; the more disturbing the better.

Even though its an anime, I highly recommend that you check out Perfect Blue. Also Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) and still...Triangle

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

llama_arse posted:

In the Mouth of Madness, Silent Hill, Event Horizon -- all have bigger set pieces than Session 9 and Jacob's Ladder and are more "fantastical," but they're all good and disturbing. Also, Angel Heart.

Serendipitaet posted:

The Bank Job seemed like well made movie, but for some reason I found it super boring. I tried watching Lock, Stock etc a few years ago and didn't like it then but I was probably too young really.

I found The Bank Job boring too, and I usually love that kind of thing. Since you liked Snatch, I'd definitely give Lock, Stock another chance some time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

llama_arse posted:

I'm going to go with a very generous definition of "psychological" and tell you to watch Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

It makes a great companion film to Jacob's Ladder, in an inverted sort of sense.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

llama_arse posted:

Paranoia 1.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmemeDLtvbg

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

morestuff posted:

Alice in the Cities is another road movie by Wim Wenders that tackles similar themes. No desert landscapes, though.

Alright, will check this out. I think Wenders might've become my favorite director after seeing Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire within a short period of time.

I don't know how to exactly put my next request into words but here goes nothing. So, I'm looking for something that captures the feeling of pervasive superstition in High or Late Middle Ages in Europe. The feeling that world is at its end, that the nearby woods are crawling with creatures straight out of folktales, that the Devil just can't wait to make a pact with you. Also, it would be nice if the imagery consisted mostly of misty small villages, unpenetrable forests, the whole gut-wrenching feeling of isolation from the rest of the world. Lycantrophy, diabolism and the occult are a big yes-yes. Something like a Dürer, Dore or medieval woodcut come to life, I think. On the other hand, I'd want the film to be something with a substance, not some B-level horror in a half-assed medieval setting.

Bergman's Seventh Seal had some of this and I was hoping Hour of the Wolf would be what I was looking for but it turned out to be something completely different. I've already seen Black Death which felt soulless and handled its themes hamhandedly.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Alright, will check this out. I think Wenders might've become my favorite director after seeing Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire within a short period of time.

I don't know how to exactly put my next request into words but here goes nothing. So, I'm looking for something that captures the feeling of pervasive superstition in High or Late Middle Ages in Europe. The feeling that world is at its end, that the nearby woods are crawling with creatures straight out of folktales, that the Devil just can't wait to make a pact with you. Also, it would be nice if the imagery consisted mostly of misty small villages, unpenetrable forests, the whole gut-wrenching feeling of isolation from the rest of the world. Lycantrophy, diabolism and the occult are a big yes-yes. Something like a Dürer, Dore or medieval woodcut come to life, I think. On the other hand, I'd want the film to be something with a substance, not some B-level horror in a half-assed medieval setting.

Bergman's Seventh Seal had some of this and I was hoping Hour of the Wolf would be what I was looking for but it turned out to be something completely different. I've already seen Black Death which felt soulless and handled its themes hamhandedly.
With or without dragons?

Have you seen The Golem? It has many of the elements you're looking for although it takes place later, in the 16th century.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0011237/

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Blood On Satan's Claw
Marketa Lazarova
Valley Of The Bees
The Company Of Wolves
Mother Joan of the Angels
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Many of these seem to fit the bill quite nicely. Thanks! :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think I'm going to hijack that list; I love Company of Wolves but I've never even heard of any of the others.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Hey all, recently the GF and I've been on a Japanese movie roll; particularly comedies. Any recommendations for something good? Last couple of films we saw were Fine, Totally fine, Instant Swamp and Brass Knuckle Boys

On the non-comedy front, I really, really loved Parade

Please and thank you

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Summer Time Machine Blues, Tanpopo, the Tora-san movies, Water Boys, Swing Girls. If you want to go a bit out there into absurdist territory, there's Cromartie.

One of my favorites is Bubble he Go!! with Abe Hiroshi, but I don't know if it's ever been subbed in English.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

El Graplurado posted:

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
Thanks, that clip has me hooked, must see the rest of this movie.

Dudes
Jan 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Devils is really good.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9DFfrH-018
Its also based on a true story.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Dinosaur movies please! Jurrasic Park for example, and to a lesser extent The Lost World. Dinosaurs are badass.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Shenadigins posted:

Dinosaur movies please! Jurrasic Park for example, and to a lesser extent The Lost World. Dinosaurs are badass.

Carnosaur

I watched Mean Guns off a whim on Netflix Instant and fell in love with how stupidly over the top it was and above criticism. I've seen the majority of modern movies in this vein but I wanted to know if there were any other off-the-radar films like it from the 80s or 90s

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Valhalla Rising.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I'm looking for some good contemporary German and French films. I understand 'contemporary' can define a bit of an arbitrary time period, but for the purposes of this post I'm just going to say post-1990 France and post-1995 Germany (not sure exactly how the German film industries amalgamated and settled down after unification, so the half-decade grace period is again, rather arbitrary).

German films I've enjoyed: The Lives of Others, Yella, Run Lola Run, The Wave, anything by Haneke or Hirschbiegel.

French films I've enjoyed: La Haine, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Noe's works, A Prophet and quite a few action films such as District 13 and its sequel and Mesrine films.

I'm looking for anything and everything really, I just have no idea where to start!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for some good contemporary German and French films. I understand 'contemporary' can define a bit of an arbitrary time period, but for the purposes of this post I'm just going to say post-1990 France and post-1995 Germany (not sure exactly how the German film industries amalgamated and settled down after unification, so the half-decade grace period is again, rather arbitrary).

German films I've enjoyed: The Lives of Others, Yella, Run Lola Run, The Wave, anything by Haneke or Hirschbiegel.

French films I've enjoyed: La Haine, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Noe's works, A Prophet and quite a few action films such as District 13 and its sequel and Mesrine films.

I'm looking for anything and everything really, I just have no idea where to start!

Germany post-1995:
The Goebbels Experiment
Wings of Hope
Downfall
Invincible
The White Diamond
The Tunnel
The Counterfeiters

France post-1990:
Three Colors Trilogy
The Double Life of Veronique
Innocence
Amelie
Delicatessen
A Very Long Engagement
The Class
Rosetta
The Son
L'Enfant
The Kid With a Bike
The Illusionist
Lovers of the Arctic Circle
The Lovers on the Bridge
Irma Vep
Leon

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I will add a recommendation for the German film Goodbye Lenin!, and from FitFortDanga's list, be especially sure to see Amelie both because it is a fine film and because it is relatively well-known in the English-speaking world. Also, if you enjoyed District 13, Luc Besson's original Taxi is a fun, goofy action movie in the same vein. Just don't get the American one with Jimmy Fallon.

(I also have a secret love for In July)

7point62
Jan 9, 2010

IVI: Impact Varies Immensely
Recommend me some gritty, seedy old New York movies!

For examples:

I've seen Taxi Driver, Panic in Needle Park, Serpico, Death Wish, The Warriors, New York Ripper, French Connection, Shaft, Prince of the City, Dog Day Afternoon, New Jack City, Light Sleeper, Saturday Night Fever, Mean Streets, Goodfellas, Midnight Cowboy,Taking of Pelham 123, Born to Win... I've even seen Street Trash. Also a few others I know I'm forgetting. Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy and Panic in Needle Park are probably the best examples of what I'm looking for.

Basically I like seeing NYC as the dark, grungy city it used to be, particularly in the 70s and 80s when some areas of the city looked like war zones and Times Square was the epicenter of filth and crime. No comedies or romances please.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

7point62 posted:

For examples:

I've seen Taxi Driver, Panic in Needle Park, Serpico, Death Wish, The Warriors, New York Ripper, French Connection, Shaft, Prince of the City, Dog Day Afternoon, New Jack City, Light Sleeper, Saturday Night Fever, Mean Streets, Goodfellas, Midnight Cowboy,Taking of Pelham 123, Born to Win... I've even seen Street Trash. Also a few others I know I'm forgetting. Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy and Panic in Needle Park are probably the best examples of what I'm looking for.

Basically I like seeing NYC as the dark, grungy city it used to be, particularly in the 70s and 80s when some areas of the city looked like war zones and Times Square was the epicenter of filth and crime. No comedies or romances please.

Basket Case!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

7point62 posted:

You didn't list it but have you seen Marathon Man?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Incident, for my money the great forgotten New York crime film. Blast of Silence isn't quite as violent as the ones you list, but it's really genuinely gritty and awesome. Also watch some episodes of "Naked City."

gently caress yes on all of those Hundu posted below me, too.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 18, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cruising. Driller Killer. Fort Apache The Bronx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
King of New York, Bad Lieutenant, Carlito's Way.

• Locked thread