Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

xenilk posted:

IMG_9555 by avoyer, on Flickr
Your signature blue vingette,is that Lightroom or Photoshop? I can see how it'd be doable in Photoshop, Lightroom not so much. I only ask because PS takes ages to boot up on my machine and then grinds to a halt after a couple of images.

mediaphage posted:

Yeah no seriously this is a pretty good candid.
----------------------------------------------
Was loving around with a homemade grid today. Have to admit I now really want to do a shoot in this style. Something with "weak" posing too for some contrast. The sharpening is deliberate to help make my godawful skin really stand out.

Highkey by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

XTimmy posted:

Your signature blue vingette,is that Lightroom or Photoshop? I can see how it'd be doable in Photoshop, Lightroom not so much. I only ask because PS takes ages to boot up on my machine and then grinds to a halt after a couple of images.

Completely done in LR :) I only fine tune the details in Photoshop (burn/dodge tool + remove skin blemishes)

http://xenilk.com/lightroom/Hue%20Heffner.lrtemplate for the template :)

it mostly consist of 3 Graduated filters (one with purple going from left to right with contrast -27 and little under exposure, one going from top to 1/3 of the picture underexposed and the last one going from bottom to 2/3 of picture yellow underexposed) and uses split tone.

Hope it helps!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What do people think to portrait diptychs?
I took these 2 and thought they worked quite nicely as such.

A Diptych by AshBurrows, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Processing is fine, I don't like how the composition changes though.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Portraiture is my favorite thing to do with a camera, and it bugs me that I am so god awful at it. Really, I just need to put the time in, I think, which I really haven't been able to do. My niece asked me to take some pictures for her first homecoming dance this past weekend, though, and I do like the way one of them turned out.

This is superb.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

xenilk posted:

Completely done in LR :) I only fine tune the details in Photoshop (burn/dodge tool + remove skin blemishes)

http://xenilk.com/lightroom/Hue%20Heffner.lrtemplate for the template :)

it mostly consist of 3 Graduated filters (one with purple going from left to right with contrast -27 and little under exposure, one going from top to 1/3 of the picture underexposed and the last one going from bottom to 2/3 of picture yellow underexposed) and uses split tone.

Hope it helps!

Useful, thank you.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Portraiture is my favorite thing to do with a camera, and it bugs me that I am so god awful at it. Really, I just need to put the time in, I think, which I really haven't been able to do. My niece asked me to take some pictures for her first homecoming dance this past weekend, though, and I do like the way one of them turned out.

Awesome expressions, awesome moment, can't really fault this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Man, thanks guys! I just need to work on being able to do that more often, instead of the haphazard stuff I often get now.

Here are a couple of others. I think I overdid it on the B&W conversion, her skin looks a little off to me...but she was looking at her date and didn't realize I had the camera up, which makes her expression great.

And the color one is a bit dark, but it was brighter in PS; I just messed up the color space. In retrospect, I think the branch is distracting - plus I would have liked to have them more in the grass but she was not having it with those new pink shoes. :)

These are the FB copies since I'm not at home at the moment; the originals obv. look a bit less artifacty.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
These are more snapshots than anything, I hate the clutter in these :(
Any suggestions on postprocessing most welcome!

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_0412 by avoyer, on Flickr

A shot from a shoot I did tonight, rest will come tomorrow!

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

xenilk posted:

This is great, good work. I added you as a contact and looked through some of your work and favourited a few, so if you get notifications from some weirdo, that's me :)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I spent some time with the 85/1.8 this evening and I think I'm a believer.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Elite Taco posted:

All I see is weird blurry bunny ears, but I really like the colors in it.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

All I see is weird blurry bunny ears, but I really like the colors in it.

I saw that too. Then I thought it would be fun if they actually WERE bunny ears.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Did another photoshoot with the sames girls as last time. I'm not as happy with this set, I think. Naomi is still on crutches, so we did only head shots for her, but the other two were getting more comfortable with posing, so we did a few more full body shots.

Full set here, including last session: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrot_flowers/sets/72157627641965477/

Any advice is appreciated!

IMG_0072-3 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0101-2-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0120-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

0030_7-3 by bernsai, on Flickr

They are lovely girls:

IMG_0034-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

edit: changed the set url and deleted the "burn this" picture :P

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 27, 2011

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

xenilk posted:

Wow, nice composition and textures. Great looking subject too.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

Did another photoshoot with the sames girls as last time. I'm not as happy with this set, I think. Naomi is still on crutches, so we did only head shots for her, but the other two were getting more comfortable with posing, so we did a few more full body shots.

I can see some progression, I think you're being too hard on yourself :) I would say you need to watch cutting the limbs (especially in the first picture) and try some different angle on eye level (3rd picture). As for the model in crutch I like that portrait more: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrot_flowers/6187606083/ I personally think it's more flattering :)

Also, it's been mentioned in another thread (Bro before ISO or something) but I find that piccsy.com and calikartel.com are really useful when it comes to posture ideas. I always make a folder before my shoot with the vibe that I have in mind, that way if you run out of ideas you have a few solid backup postures that you can use and play with.

BastardAus posted:

Wow, nice composition and textures. Great looking subject too.

Merci! :)

xenilk fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 27, 2011

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

CarrotFlowers posted:

0015_22-3 by bernsai, on Flickr

My advice to you is to burn this picture.

I think every other photo you took of her is better than this one... I just don't think this is a good look for her, or she's doing it wrong or something.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
^^^^ It's her mouth in that particular shot. Scroll up and hide the bottom half of her face.

I shot a family portrait session for a friend. This was taken the moment her son burped in her face :3:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll get rid of the closeup one...I think I was stuck on the "I want to use some of my film shots" and just picked one.

And xenilk, thanks for the suggestions. I do find I take pretty much all of my pictures straight on, and I definitely need to work with moving around the model. For the first one, with the limbs cut off thing, is it just that her right arm isn't in the frame? I don't want to zoom out too far to get them all fully in, because I really liked her face in that one and I wanted it to be the focal point, but I can see how not having her right arm visible at all is a bit distracting.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll get rid of the closeup one...I think I was stuck on the "I want to use some of my film shots" and just picked one.

And xenilk, thanks for the suggestions. I do find I take pretty much all of my pictures straight on, and I definitely need to work with moving around the model. For the first one, with the limbs cut off thing, is it just that her right arm isn't in the frame? I don't want to zoom out too far to get them all fully in, because I really liked her face in that one and I wanted it to be the focal point, but I can see how not having her right arm visible at all is a bit distracting.

The top one is great. Probably the best of the set!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

The top one is great. Probably the best of the set!

Thanks, man! It's my favourite too :)

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great shot and as Paragon pointed it's one of the solid ones in your set. It's just a personal comment that it should have been cropped less tightly to include her right elbow. Otherwise it is great. She also has really nice features and looks fun around the camera... so keep her around for future shoots (it shouldn't be too hard since it's your sister right, if I remember correctly!)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

psylent posted:

^^^^ It's her mouth in that particular shot. Scroll up and hide the bottom half of her face.

I shot a family portrait session for a friend. This was taken the moment her son burped in her face :3:

Haha, I love the second one because of the mother's expression. You really did a good job of capturing an ordinary moment while making it seem special. They're all a little dark for my tastes, though I really don't usually like vignetting.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
They're much brighter in LightRoom, but whenever I export stuff to JPG it seems to darken it. There's no vignette in LR either. It's like it turns the blacks up to 7-8 and adds a vignette on export, I've triple checked and nothing is being applied on export. It's saving as sRGB so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it all really :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

psylent posted:

They're much brighter in LightRoom, but whenever I export stuff to JPG it seems to darken it. There's no vignette in LR either. It's like it turns the blacks up to 7-8 and adds a vignette on export, I've triple checked and nothing is being applied on export. It's saving as sRGB so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it all really :(

I'm sure someone more experienced than I can jump in and explain it better, but as far as I know, it's still a color space issue - if you search Google, there are loads of posts all over the Internet about it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great shot and as Paragon pointed it's one of the solid ones in your set. It's just a personal comment that it should have been cropped less tightly to include her right elbow. Otherwise it is great. She also has really nice features and looks fun around the camera... so keep her around for future shoots (it shouldn't be too hard since it's your sister right, if I remember correctly!)

Oh, I definitely think it was a fair point. Now all I can see is her missing right arm. It's still my favourite of the bunch, even though if you zoom in, you'll see some camera shake ( :ssh: ).

And yeah, she's awesome about modeling for me, so I'm sure we'll be back out there soon. My parents are coming to town in a couple of weeks and we're planning to bring them back there and get some of them too. That will be the real challenge, as my mother just cannot put on a real smile for the life of her. You can make her laugh, you can tell stories, you can just casually be talking and as soon as there is a camera pointed at her, it's like this sixth sense and she pulls really weird faces.

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 28, 2011

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

Oh, I definitely think it was a fair point. Now all I can see is her missing right arm. It's still my favourite of the bunch, even though if you zoom in, you'll see some camera shake ( :ssh: ).

And yeah, she's awesome about modeling for me, so I'm sure we'll be back out there soon. My parents are coming to town in a couple of weeks and we're planning to bring them back there and get some of them too. That will be the real challenge, as my mother just cannot put on a real smile for the life of her. You can make her laugh, you can tell stories, you can just casually be talking and as soon as there is a camera pointed at her, it's like this sixth sense and she pulls really weird faces.

You'll notice that people rarely smile in my portrait... it's one of my weakness. I find it much easier when people don't smile and talk with their eyes and not their mouth. A fake smile ruins it for me and just looks odd :/

You should try to take one of those weird no smiling family portrait at first like they did in the early 1900! That could be a nice way to loosen up the mood, and maybe they'll end up genuinely smiling, that happens a lot when you ask people to be serious (gotta love reverse psychology)

I'm just thinking out loud :) ha ha

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I rarely get the real smiles, so I usually grab the serious face and then try to get a smile (and usually miss because I'm talking with the subject instead of be focused on taking the shot)

Case in point:

Face sérieuse by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

Sourire forcer by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

The fake smile ruins everything.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Auditore posted:

Getting my hair cut the other day, mentioned to my regular hairdresser that I'm a photographer, and she remarks that she wants some shots of her and her kids (know them both - vaguely). Following this she asks how much I charge. I haven't done much paid work before as I'm still relatively new to photography, and going pro for a career in photography isn't my proposed career path.

Should I go back and offer to shoot a session, and if so, how much is a reasonable amount to charge?

Haven't done a huge deal of portrait photography before, but there have been a few occasions where I've been able to get some practice in. If she agrees would it be a good idea to get a friend and practice composition + posing etc?

After this, I asked a friend (girl) to do some posing for me (clothed ftr). I have the location set because it gets good directional light in late afternoon. I don't have any proper flashes, can I take good portraits in natural light without the need for flashes?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

Pick up almost any magazine and there will be dozens of pictures cropped in as tight as your picture or tighter. It's really only people on photography forums will make it an issue. Don't let it get to you.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Pick up almost any magazine and there will be dozens of pictures cropped in as tight as your picture or tighter. It's really only people on photography forums will make it an issue. Don't let it get to you.

Paragon, you have to realize that most of the time it's the magazine editors who crop the original picture. But yeah, if your mind can picture the rest of the arm/shoulder it's fine... however, if you're cropping at her wrist for example, which is more drastic, it'll make the picture look weird.

Anyways, at the end of the day there's no golden rule in photography... some pictures who break all the rules sometimes come out awesome anyways.

xenilk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 28, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

Paragon, you have to realize that most of the time it's the magazine editors who crop the original picture. But yeah, if your mind can picture the rest of the arm/shoulder it's fine... however, if you're cropping at her wrist for example, which is more drastic, it'll make the picture look weird.

Anyways, at the end of the day there's no golden rules in photography... some pictures who break all the rules sometimes come out awesome anyways.

Obviously there are harsh crops that look unnatural but the picture you criticised for having an elbow cropped out is by no means harsh and is perfectly reasonable especially in the context of a relaxed and "candid" pose. It is an unnecessary criticism in my opinion and Carrotflowers is now second guessing one of the strongest images that she posted based on that criticism.

Anyway, I've written a lot about crops because it is a huge pet peeve of mine - http://smread.blogspot.com/ if you'd care to look.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Obviously there are harsh crops that look unnatural but the picture you criticised for having an elbow cropped out is by no means harsh and is perfectly reasonable especially in the context of a relaxed and "candid" pose. It is an unnecessary criticism in my opinion and Carrotflowers is now second guessing one of the strongest images that she posted based on that criticism.

Anyway, I've written a lot about crops because it is a huge pet peeve of mine - http://smread.blogspot.com/ if you'd care to look.

You're talking as if I totally destroyed her picture with my input. I was only pointing out that I would have been curious to see the shot with the full elbow in. In no way was I trying to point out that the picture was weak/bad, I agree that it's a strong picture. :)

As for your articles, I just read Breaking the rules of composition Pt 1 and the one about cropping the forehead and they were very informative, thank you!

All in all I appreciate both your work (I see that I commented a lot on it, looking back on the posts) and CarrotFlowers' so I'm sorry if my criticism was out of place.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I find that as long as you have the inside edge of whatever part you're cropping, your brain will naturally fill in the rest. That's why top-of-the-head crops and outside-of-the-arm crops don't bother me and draw the focus more towards the person; you're using the inside body edge itself as a framing tool. Maybe it is more of a fashion-thing, but a huge part of portraiture is fashion photography, and I think it's perfectly acceptable.

The part that bothers me about that first photo has nothing to do with limbs (well maybe a little, the one tucked behind her), but rather the way her neck is projected forward and strained by holding her head up. She's supporting herself by her other arm (I think) in kind of a strenuous, uncomfy way, and I think if you tried doing that for long it'd be really uncomfortable, so it looks uncomfortable to me. But her expression is very strong.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

You're talking as if I totally destroyed her picture with my input. I was only pointing out that I would have been curious to see the shot with the full elbow in. In no way was I trying to point out that the picture was weak/bad, I agree that it's a strong picture. :)

As for your articles, I just read Breaking the rules of composition Pt 1 and the one about cropping the forehead and they were very informative, thank you!

All in all I appreciate both your work (I see that I commented a lot on it, looking back on the posts) and CarrotFlowers' so I'm sorry if my criticism was out of place.

I'm sorry, I just get really spergy about that kind of criticism which is pretty evident in my blog :(

That particular thing was a huge barrier for me starting out because I was really overthinking framing and posing and my work got a lot better once I stepped back and focused more shooting what *I* felt looked good. It at times feels there can be a pressure to just nitpick if there isn't anything hugely wrong with an image - and at times it comes across as a bit pedantic.

I've been very impressed by your stuff too, xenilk!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I really appreciate all the discussion regarding that picture, and having two opposing views is especially helpful because it gives me insight into how totally objective people feel about it.

Xenilk, I wasn't offended, and I don't think you're criticism was out of place at all, and Paragon8, I appreciate the discussion from the opposite side. I read your crop blog post a few days ago, and I found it to be very informative. It was actually what inspired me to do a bit of cropping of the foreheads. Again, two opposing views really helps me see it in a new way.

Nonanone, I can see what you're saying. She actually just got down and rested like that, so I assume it was fairly comfortable for her, but I am thinking that the right arm not being shown makes it look like her position is more awkward than it was.

All in all, I was happy with it because I'm moving past the "headshot only" mindset I was in before, and felt very comfortable with this picture.

And let me just say that you three are some of my favourite portrait photographers, so I am super excited to be getting some feedback from you all!

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I'm trying things with my friends, does this work? What should be done differently? I need pointers. I find it amazingly hard to put women at ease. What do you answer women that mention parts of their body having defaults? I try to divert the subject and talk about cool stuff like kids, sports and so on.

Here's one where she finally let herself go and really get into the role of being a model. She (and her mates) enjoy that picture but I think something is off about it.

Valérie by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

IsaacNewton posted:

I'm trying things with my friends, does this work? What should be done differently? I need pointers. I find it amazingly hard to put women at ease. What do you answer women that mention parts of their body having defaults? I try to divert the subject and talk about cool stuff like kids, sports and so on.

Here's one where she finally let herself go and really get into the role of being a model. She (and her mates) enjoy that picture but I think something is off about it.

Valérie by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

There's something about the twist of the body there that makes the proportions seem all off, like she's wearing kevlar under that shirt or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

The Entire Universe posted:

There's something about the twist of the body there that makes the proportions seem all off, like she's wearing kevlar under that shirt or something.

Yeah, and her lopsided expression is distorting the effect of the lighting on her face, making her look weird.
I'm not sure what to think about the position of her arm behind her, either. It looks awkward with only being able to see her forearm from that position.