Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

wtf you have a plant!? and dual monitors?

I am so jealous.

A nice lady named Mindy comes in every Friday and water/prunes it.

Top of the page again. This has to be some kind of record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Holland Oats posted:

I need to make a decision on where to go for my 2L summer. I have two offers. One is a small office, about 40-60 lawyers. It's the New York branch office for a DC based firm. I think I'd like to live in DC and work for the government eventually but that can change over time. I really liked the people I've met from this firm and think that I'd be pretty happy there. The work-life balance there also appears to be really good, like almost everyone's gone by 8 and not working on the weekends good. It also has a 1:1 leverage ratio and unlike most other law firms, there isn't an expectation that most of their associates eventually leave. The downside is that it pays less than market and is less prestigious.

The other firm is a big New York law firm. I've liked everyone I've met from there but they don't really hide the fact that I'd be working more hours there than I would at the other firm. I'm also not really sure what field of law I want to work in so the fact that it's bigger would probably help me experience more practice areas. I don't mind working hard but I definitely don't want work to consume the rest of my life.

Giving away the names of the firms here would probably give me away but if you PM me, I can give you them. I need to make a decision by this Friday. Any thoughts?
I'm not so sure that low leverage is a good thing. It mostly just means that partners take all the more interesting work. Unless you are concerned about partnership promotion, but you shouldn't be - you are not making partner.

e: And I have three monitors, no big deal.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hilarious how relative things are. "almost everyone's gone by 8" is a good work/life balance, and 40-60 lawyers is a small firm.

[photograph removed]

Enough about my office.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 27, 2011

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I hate ya'll but hey here's mine:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Check out this bad rear end view!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Stunt Rock posted:

I hate ya'll but hey here's mine:

Pan the camera so we can see your bed and anime posters

commish
Sep 17, 2009

How the hell do some of you work with only one monitor? It's pretty much impossible for me to get anything done with 1.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

commish posted:

How the hell do some of you work with only one monitor? It's pretty much impossible for me to get anything done with 1.

For me personally it's a lack of competent IT in a small firm. I have two monitors BUT my onboard graphics card only has one output. The card has been "being ordered" for two months.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Roger_Mudd posted:

For me personally it's a lack of competent IT in a small firm. I have two monitors BUT my onboard graphics card only has one output. The card has been "being ordered" for two months.
I just bought my own USB display adapter and a second monitor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm not takinga picture, but my office has a "view" of our courthouse, built in the early 70s (stunning concrete work, I swear). It has a single computer, a pretty sweet aeron chair, and is buried in files. My desk is clearly govt issue. At least my phone is from the last decade.
I also have a GWS approved coffee rig complete with a burr grinder and a scale to measure out coffee and water because scoops are too inaccurate.

nm fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 27, 2011

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

nm posted:

I'm not takinga picture, but my office has a "view" of our courthouse, built in the early 70s (stunning concrete work, I swear). It has a single computer, a pretty sweet aeron chair, and is buried in files. My desk is clearly govt issue. At least my phone is from the last decade.
I also have a GWS approved coffee rig complete with a burr grinder and a scale to measure out coffee and water because scoops are too inaccurate.

I look out over Runways 24R and 24L at LAX. Sometimes I pull up WebTrak for LAX and watch all my little metal friends come and go.

...my only friends...

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Holland Oats posted:

It also doesn't seem to be missing any particular areas of law I'm interested in. Even though it's small, you wind up working with people in other offices a lot so that actual workforce dealing with a particular case or deal is much bigger than you'd expect given the size of the NY office.

Do people find this to be the case at their firms? I was told in interviews that you work with other offices but I worked in a branch office with around 100 people at my first firm and I'd say largely that the Atlanta partners primarily worked with the Atlanta associates and the NY partners primarily worked with the NY associates with a few exceptions of some partners originally based in Atlanta who still kinda liked their go to Atlanta associates. I really didn't find that regular, daily work was fielded to me by the main office - especially when things started to get tight and the Atlanta people were right there in person harassing the partners for work. I also felt like there was pressure from the NY office to ship things to the Atlanta office and their associates and away from us and that come lay off time, being in a branch office was worse than being at the main office, where they seemed much more concerned with keeping layoffs to a minimum.. The stuff that did seem to be interoffice were more large-scale like rush doc review jobs. Even in my newest firm, we had a very small practice group, of like 8 total in philly and like 3 people in the NY office and NY mostly just did their own thing.

Edit: You all wanna see my pretty cubicle?

HooKars fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 27, 2011

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Being fresh off the callback circuit, it's pretty amusing to see that these office photos are pretty much as interchangeable as most of the actual offices I was in.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

Do people find this to be the case at their firms? I was told in interviews that you work with other offices but I worked in a branch office with around 100 people at my first firm and I'd say largely that the Atlanta partners primarily worked with the Atlanta associates and the NY partners primarily worked with the NY associates with a few exceptions of some partners originally based in Atlanta who still kinda liked their go to Atlanta associates. I really didn't find that regular, daily work was fielded to me by the main office - especially when things started to get tight and the Atlanta people were right there in person harassing the partners for work. I also felt like there was pressure from the NY office to ship things to the Atlanta office and their associates and away from us and that come lay off time, being in a branch office was worse than being at the main office, where they seemed much more concerned with keeping layoffs to a minimum.. The stuff that did seem to be interoffice were more large-scale like rush doc review jobs. Even in my newest firm, we had a very small practice group, of like 8 total in philly and like 3 people in the NY office and NY mostly just did their own thing.

Edit: You all wanna see my pretty cubicle?

I have a cube in a room with ten cubes. Most instructors have an office with 1-3 people, very few with windows. In the three firms I worked in, I had windows in one, a windowless basement office in another, and windowless interior room in the third. At least now my cube is in the corner by the only window in the room.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

HooKars posted:

Of the last ~eight big cases I have worked on, over two firms, really only one case has been primarily staffed out of the city I in which I work.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hoover v. Jolley, 45 Va. Cir. 309
An unmarried woman, with no children, parents, or grandparents, leaves $150,000 in a "flower trust" for the purpose of placing flowers on friends' graves forever. :3:

The Virginia Supreme Court, being jerks, decide that this trust violates RAP, but then they redeem themselves by giving the trust a term of 21 years, and then requiring any leftover funds be donated to the cemetary.

I think it's adorable that from 1998 until 2018, there will be fresh flowers on her friends' graves every weekend and on certain holidays.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

AKMoose posted:

Being fresh off the callback circuit, it's pretty amusing to see that these office photos are pretty much as interchangeable as most of the actual offices I was in.

Just you wait until I get my Trek decorations up.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

Hoover v. Jolley, 45 Va. Cir. 309
An unmarried woman, with no children, parents, or grandparents, leaves $150,000 in a "flower trust" for the purpose of placing flowers on friends' graves forever. :3:

Meanwhile, as I struggle to pay off 150k in student loans...

\/\/\/\/
I say we go raid us some flower trusts.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 27, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Meanwhile, as I struggle to pay off 150k in student loans...

High five. Most of mine are to SMU too.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Copernic posted:

I look out over Runways 24R and 24L at LAX. Sometimes I pull up WebTrak for LAX and watch all my little metal friends come and go.

...my only friends...
Holy poo poo this is awesome.

Is there one for Boston/Logan? I can't find it...

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Here's my office~

Just kidding. That's just one of several alleys I scavenge on my way to the coffeeshop where I beg for coffee remains and leech free wifi so I can collect my rejection e-mails from all of those GS-5 positions I applied for on usajobs.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

tau posted:

Here's my office~

Just kidding. That's just one of several alleys I scavenge on my way to the coffeeshop where I beg for coffee remains and leech free wifi so I can collect my rejection e-mails from all of those GS-5 positions I applied for on usajobs.

sorry for acknowledging your lover, bro.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
almost-lawyer office:

not (fully) pictured: 4 minecraft servers running for free on the network, apple tree outside window that is a graft of newton's apple tree, dignity and respect and love of my job

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
After being support staff for so long, I'm still not comfortable handing things off to them. A paralegal is going to mail something for me and I feel lazy.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
I'm trying to join #lawgoons on IRC, however the webbrowser is poo poo and I seem to not be able to connect to Synirc from Europe with mirc (unable to resolve 6667 blablabla).

Well too bad :(

View from my old office in Paris: http://i.imgur.com/rEkzb.jpg

New office is just plain boring old ugly building.

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 27, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Macnigore posted:

I'm trying to join #lawgoons on IRC, however the webbrowser is just poo poo and I seem to not be able to connect to Synirc from Europe with mirc (unable to resolve 6667 blablabla).

Well too bad :(

Old office in Paris: http://i.imgur.com/rEkzb.jpg

New office is just plain boring old ugly building.

there's a snappily dressed ghost just outside your window!!!!! he must be haunting your office from lawgoons past. copy and paste this three times or the ghost will get you too!! ~*~boooooo~*~

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
It's the ghost of the previous lawyer I had to kill in order to get a job.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Sulecrist posted:

sorry for acknowledging your lover, bro.

Last time I share details of my life with you, bro.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Petey posted:

almost-lawyer office:

not (fully) pictured: 4 minecraft servers running for free on the network, apple tree outside window that is a graft of newton's apple tree, dignity and respect and love of my job
Nice cubicle.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

tau posted:

Last time I share details of my life with you, bro.

I said I wouldn't share the pictures and I very forcefully didn't, bro.

edit: tpb in 23...

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
This is from wikipedia but it's so close to being a direct view from where I live it must've been taken from two houses down:

not pictured: my furniture, which is a £50 desk with no drawers until my wife arrives in a few months because gently caress buying anything she'll make me throw out anyhow

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

After being support staff for so long, I'm still not comfortable handing things off to them. A paralegal is going to mail something for me and I feel lazy.

They're going to gently caress it up.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
You folks play loose and fast with gender.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Solid Lizzie posted:

You folks play loose and fast with gender.

Don't worry, I'm on a little committee at Northwestern that's going to add something to the Non-Discrimination Policy so that employers can't discriminate based on that anymore. :) Except for JAG obvs.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

entris posted:

wtf you have a plant!? and dual monitors?

I am so jealous.

I thought dual monitors was standard? I had them over the summer. It was neat (actually really, really useful too).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Speaking of doing things loose and fast with gender and also doing things over the summer, anyone want to work this coming summer in Alaska for uh no pay, I can maybe hire you. Maybe. As a DA intern. PM me or some poo poo.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 28, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I wish I could take pictures of my office

Not really it's pretty boring.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

This is from the front lobby of the first office I was in.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

HiddenReplaced posted:

As my IRC bros can confirm, I do well with the ladies. You are just jelly.

Others who are invited to IRC that have never been:
SoothingVapors (I think you were in IRC for 8 seconds in 2009, but we have a 60 second minimum)
That fat rear end Korean chick who broke a table by sitting on it
Zzyzx, so War can mock him for going to an inferior institution
Ainsley
Roger_Mudd
Grundy
Billion Dollar Bitch
HooKars
TyChan
Holland Oats

I'm too old to learn a new technology. "Chat clients" frighten me the way that TV remotes frighten you grandmother. Besides, I have been warned by Dateline not to chat on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

I'm too old to learn a new technology. "Chat clients" frighten me the way that TV remotes frighten you grandmother. Besides, I have been warned by Dateline not to chat on the internet.

Grundy just go to mibbit.com in your browser and log in from there without having to pre-register or anything. If you can post on this forum, you can access the IRC channel.