Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Solomon Grundy posted:

I'm too old to learn a new technology. "Chat clients" frighten me the way that TV remotes frighten you grandmother. Besides, I have been warned by Dateline not to chat on the internet.
IRC is literally older than the world wide web (1988 v. 1991)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

nm posted:

IRC is literally older than the world wide web (1988 v. 1991)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

I love it when shows get trolled by their own consultants.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
Look, take me back to the days of the 2400 baud modem calling into the local BBS to download the Anarchist's Cookbook as a .txt file. I am comfortable with that. All these mibbits and gribbits and whatnot are too taxing for this old man to take, what with text messaging and low-riding pants and all that.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Solomon Grundy posted:

Look, take me back to the days of the 2400 baud modem calling into the local BBS to download the Anarchist's Cookbook as a .txt file. I am comfortable with that. All these mibbits and gribbits and whatnot are too taxing for this old man to take, what with text messaging and low-riding pants and all that.
I remember wishing I could buy a big industrial-sized crate of strike-anywhere matches so I could make the tennis ball bomb :allears:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Linguica posted:

I remember wishing I could buy a big industrial-sized crate of strike-anywhere matches so I could make the tennis ball bomb :allears:

As entertaining and creative as some of the stuff was, actual weapons are so much more effective. I'm going to put together the revised edition of the book.

Chapter I.

Get a decent paying job somewhere in the southern or midwestern unites states.

Chapter II.

Buy a bunch of weapons.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HiddenReplaced posted:

As entertaining and creative as some of the stuff was, actual weapons are so much more effective. I'm going to put together the revised edition of the book.

Chapter I.

Get a decent paying job somewhere in the southern or midwestern unites states.

Chapter II.

Buy a bunch of weapons.

That's more The Anarchist's Mailbox Flyer rather than The Anarchist's Cookbook.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I got a summer offer from a firm, and the person seemed surprised I did not accept it on the spot, on the phone. I was pretty taken aback.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
How large is the stipend you get from Northwestern for their "Bridge to Practice"?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Hmmm...

The firm I mentioned a few pages back (offering profit share to me, a 1-year PQE in London) has asked me to, essentially, draft my own payment terms. The guy running it seems to dislike salaries as they don't "incentivise" business development.

I said either he paid me a salary or I walked. We agreed majority of my remuneration as salary, some as a percentage of the firm's profits. That way I'll never not make rent due to a bad month. Also, they'll toss in a company car because he doesn't want his clients seeing their lawyers "next to them on the Tube". Still got a salary to negotiate, though...and despite flat-out saying "the going rate" every time he asked the question, it's either name a salary or lose the deal.

Any tips, Lawgoons? My current plan is to name the going rate (which I can pull up from a quick survey, as I researched this well in advance) in the full knowledge that he'll knock me down, and the car and other perks I've got him to throw in will fill the gap. I'm checking the firm's last filed accounts to see what the percentage would have been in cash terms last year.

I'm happy to work a bit under the going rate as this is a small boutique firm, but I'm clearly being set up to lowball myself and I don't want to lose out.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I have no idea why you wouldn't want an equity piece. You said "a portion of the firm's profits" and not what you particularly originated. If you got to look at the books, then you should be able to answer this yourself.

Just be aware this is literally unheard levels of generosity in American law firms. One boutique firm I interviewed with offered associates a bonus based on business they brought in, but besides that it was all salary. I realize I just typed the same sentence out like 4 times, but still.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
1. Doc review market in DC is going nuts. Unemployed? Underemployed? Maybe get in contact with some staffing agencies here. You have to have a DC bar license for a lot of projects, but there should still be plenty where you don't (may need to have your app in with the DC bar ~$700). Probably isn't much evidence of a wider recovery in the legal/doc review market, just AT&T/T-Mobile gearing up to fight the DOJ and sucking up a ton of the available attorneys.

2. I may have escape the legal profession. Currently negotiating salary but if something reasonable comes back, I will soon be....a probation officer?

Weird career path, but anything is better than the clicking. The loving clicking. So kids, remember, that law degree and 4 years of work experience CAN get you a GS-7 position!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kase Im Licht posted:

2. I may have escape the legal profession. Currently negotiating salary but if something reasonable comes back, I will soon be....a probation officer?
This position may be more evil than a DA.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Courtesy of the PA disciplinary board (they must be good for something I love those guys!), some top-level goon-lawyering:

The most interesting disciplinary case this month is the decision of the Review Board of the Illinois[1] Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission in the matter of Kelly Maureen Murawski.

Ms. Murawski’s problems arose out of her decision to represent a married man by the name of Matthew, with whom she had formerly had an intimate relationship. It seems Matthew also had an affair with one Chablis, whom he met on match.com. His profile failed to disclose that he was married to Sally. A year later, Chablis found out Matthew was married, threatened to tell his wife, and began a pattern of appearing at and telephoning his home.

On a recommendation from a police officer that he obtain a protective order, Matthew contacted Respondent, who agreed to represent him “as a friend.”[2] Matthew neglected to advise Respondent of the precise nature of his relationship with Chablis. Respondent filed papers for an ex parte protection order, which was scheduled for a hearing. Respondent appeared at the hearing with Matthew, at which Chablis appeared with 59 pages of emails and texts from Matthew professing his love and twice proposing marriage. Respondent asked to see the documentation and sat down on a bench with Chablis to read it.[3] The sight of his former inamoratas sharing notes on their experience was too much for Matthew, who became enraged and discharged Respondent as his attorney. She went back into the courtroom and withdrew as his attorney, and after an ensuing scuffle over possession of the documentation, Respondent filed a battery charge against Matthew, who was arrested and jailed. The protection order was dismissed.

Later that day, Respondent telephoned Sally and informed her that Matthew was in jail, and also of his relationships with Respondent and Chablis.[4] Ostensibly, this was to arrange a time for service of a protective order. It turned out Sally already knew about Chablis. Nonetheless much unpleasantness ensued, and Matthew and Sally divorced.

Despite the bad judgment evident in Respondent’s handling of the matter, all disciplinary charges were dismissed. Murawski was found not to have violated a requirement of Rule 1.16(d) to deliver documents to her client upon withdrawal because Matthew never had a right to the documents. The documents remained Chablis’s property unless introduced in the proceeding, which never happened. She did not betray a client’s confidence in violation of Rule 1.6(a) by her call to Sally because Sally already knew about Chablis. She did not use information adverse to a former client in violation of Rule 1.9(a)(2) because Matthew’s relationship with Chablis was known not only to Sally, but also to those in the public courtroom.

Although Ms. Murawski was not disciplined, a few lessons appear from the case:

Representing a married former paramour “as a friend” is probably a bad idea.
Representing a married former paramour in a domestic dispute with another former paramour “as a friend” is definitely a bad idea.
Representing a married former paramour with anger issues in a domestic dispute with another former paramour named Chablis he met while trolling match.com as a single man is absolutely a bad idea.
Not asking your married former paramour with anger issues why he wants you to file a protective order against a woman named Chablis is a very bad idea.
Calling your married former paramour’s wife to explain that her husband is in jail and that you are filing a protective order against him because of his behavior in a protective order case you filed against another former paramour named Chablis he met on match.com cannot possibly have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Loxbourne, I suspect the number he's thinking of (however it's phrased) is going to work out to about 33% of whatever they'd like you to be billing annually. With the added bonus that they don't have to pay you if they can't find you work. And unlike a used car salesman, you don't know (unless you know a lot more about this firm than you're saying) whether you're going to have a car to sell from week to week.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Chablis is a name that should not be a name. Chablis' mother should be ashamed.

Like my friend Dirigible and his mother.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BigHead posted:

Chablis is a name that should not be a name. Chablis' mother should be ashamed.

Like my friend Dirigible and his mother.

Hey, she could have been called Old English. This is a classy dame.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Omerta posted:

Just be aware this is literally unheard levels of generosity in American law firms.

Yes, this is why I'm suspicious. I know the general "300% of salary" principle, and I know what 1-year PQEs get in London, and I can't help but remember the old adage about things that are too good to be true. I already plan to get someone independent to check out the contract documents etc.

That said...I'll stop bitching and go close the deal. Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep the thread posted.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

nm posted:

This position may be more evil than a DA.
Why?

Also, I never thought DAs were evil.

Also, this is a jurisdiction where the job has been described by people as "social worker with a badge."

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saga posted:

Although Ms. Murawski was not disciplined, a few lessons appear from the case:

Representing a married former paramour “as a friend” is probably a bad idea.
Representing a married former paramour in a domestic dispute with another former paramour “as a friend” is definitely a bad idea.
Representing a married former paramour with anger issues in a domestic dispute with another former paramour named Chablis he met while trolling match.com as a single man is absolutely a bad idea.
Not asking your married former paramour with anger issues why he wants you to file a protective order against a woman named Chablis is a very bad idea.
Calling your married former paramour’s wife to explain that her husband is in jail and that you are filing a protective order against him because of his behavior in a protective order case you filed against another former paramour named Chablis he met on match.com cannot possibly have seemed like a good idea at the time.[/i]

Was this actually in the text of the decision? Because man, that is hilarious.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

entris posted:

This is what I want to know.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Kase Im Licht posted:

Why?

Also, I never thought DAs were evil.

Also, this is a jurisdiction where the job has been described by people as "social worker with a badge."

If you define "social worker" as "person who argues for a longer prison sentence for his charges" then yeah I guess

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Diplomaticus posted:

This is what I want to know.

Sorry, per my post, that was a summary offered by the PA disciplinary board.

Which they may have stolen from someone else.

We must have a law student here with time on their hands and a free Westlaw account? Or even just google I guess, assuming Illinois publishes this stuff.

e: Loxbourne, my point (in case you didn't get it, but I'm probably just misreading) was this doesn't sound like generosity, it sounds like he wants to give you up to a "normal" salary with the option of paying you little or nothing if they don't have any work lying around for you.

If you have employment with Biglaw.co.uk and are past your probationary period (which I assume you are from 1 PQE), do you REALLY hate it enough to lose the job security in this economy? I mean, to become a rent boy to a Tory MP or a surfing instructor or climb mountains or something I can understand, but this doesn't sound like any of the above.

Saga fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 30, 2011

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

entris posted:

Unfortunately, no.

Go here and put in her last name and you'll get the hearing board and the review board's opinions.

POs around here work for DOC so they understand that the more money DOC spends on putting probationers in prison means less money and less job security for them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If you define "social worker" as "person who argues for a longer prison sentence for his charges" then yeah I guess

Yeah. Though I CA, admittedly that's changing as probation officers are county employee and starting tomorrow the county will be responsible for incarcerating most felons.

Sorry, I can't see a job where I narc on a guy who is doing fine (has a job, no new arrests) but smokes a J on the weekend so he pisses dirty.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My former landlord attempted to withhold my security deposit (and charge me $53 more dollars) for a bullshit "REPLACE CARPET" charge

I lawyered up a letter, cited the relevant MCL, and demanded my money back; one week later, I have a check for my security deposit stamped SETTLEMENT IN FULL :getin: being a lawyer owns

P.S. future annarborites, don't rent from Group 5

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
also Hidden your office is nicer than mine :saddowns:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Our Dean of Student Affairs sent us this
http://www.dailyreportonline.com/Editorial/News/singleEdit.asp?l=100349428931

quote:

Omissions keep grads from bar
Certifications of fitness denied for leaving some convictions off law school applications
By Alyson M. Palmer, Staff Reporter

John Payne: "I simply didn't believe that anything could be missing. … It would have made no sense to knowingly withhold anything." Recent decisions by the Georgia Supreme Court denying two law school graduates the right to take the Georgia bar examination highlight the need to tell the whole truth—and not just when applying for admission to the bar.

In each of the two cases decided by the court Sept. 12, applicants were denied certificates of fitness to practice law in part due to omissions on their law school applications. Although both John A. Payne and Roy W. Yunker Jr. had criminal histories, the board that evaluates bar applicants' backgrounds, as well as the court, seemed especially concerned about a different issue.

"Both cases certainly illustrate the need for absolute candor on the law school and bar admission applications," said Sally E. Lockwood, director of the state's Office of BarAdmissions.

Although both Payne and Yunker ultimately amended their law school applications, it was too late to win the Supreme Court's stamp of approval. Now both find themselves having invested time and money into law school midlife but unable to sit for the bar in their home states.

Yunker is in his 40s and lives in Midtown Atlanta. According to a list of concerns the fitness board sent to Yunker, a night of drinking and skinny-dipping led the Marine Corps to honorably discharge him. Yunker's brief said he's an Operation Desert Storm veteran.

He went into the software industry, and after years there, Yunker applied to Atlanta's John Marshall Law School in 2005. By that time he had misdemeanor convictions from three separate incidents, according to the Supreme Court ruling: a 1988 DUI conviction; disorderly conduct and damage to property convictions from 1989; and a 2000 family violence battery conviction in DeKalb County stemming from an incident in which he choked his then-wife.

In answer to the law school application question as to whether he had ever been charged or convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic offense, Yunker answered no. Yunker was admitted to the school and, according to him, graduated 10th in his class in 2008.

When he applied to take the bar, Yunker initially failed to disclose all of his crimes. When bar officials inquired, Yunker explained that he had filled out the bar application too quickly and submitted more information. When asked at a bar admissions hearing how he could be trusted not to exploit a client's vulnerability in light of the incident with his wife, he initially responded, "Probably because I am not going to marry them."

Yunker disclosed on his bar application that he had been terminated from a summer internship with the Metro Conflict Defender due to a conflict with a supervising attorney there. In an email to the attorney—quoted in the Supreme Court ruling—Yunker told the attorney, "If you want a lame little bitch of an intern, find some Emory student." Hurrrrrr

King & Spalding partner Samuel M. Matchett, assigned as a hearing officer for the bar fitness committee, recommended Yunker not be allowed to take the bar, citing Yunker's failure to fully disclose his convictions and the termination of his internship. The board charged with looking into the character and fitness of bar applicants—five attorneys and three non-lawyers appointed by the Supreme Court, as well as the chair of the Board of Bar Examiners—agreed with Matchett's recommendation, and the Supreme Court's ruling against Yunker was unanimous, saying Matchett's conclusions were supported by the record.

After the decision, Yunker said he never thought anything he had done was so serious that it would keep him from practicing law. He said he filled out his law school application in the school's administration office and didn't pay enough attention. "I don't remember that form," he said, "and I don't remember why I did not disclose."

As for his bar application, Yunker said he worked with bar admissions staff to make sure the application was complete before the board ever considered it. "I never tried to conceal anything from the Georgia bar," he said.

Yunker in July 2010 sat for the bar exam in California (where, he explained, applicants may take the exam before completing the fitness review process). He passed, and he said he has been assured by officials there that they'll consider his application independently of Georgia's actions. He said he has no idea whether he'll try again in Georgia, which would allow him to reapply in three years.

For now, he said, he'll continue working as a law clerk for two Paulding County Superior Court judges, Tonny S. Beavers and Kenneth G. Vinson, as he's been doing since law school graduation.

Vinson said Yunker has done a "fine job" as a law clerk and didn't rule out the possibility that Yunker might continue on in that role, although Vinson said he hadn't discussed the matter with Beavers. "I know [Yunker]'s had some difficulties," Vinson said.

"I'm disappointed in the entire process," said Yunker, "especially considering that I've had the full faith and confidence of two Superior Court judges."

Addiction history

According to a brief submitted by Payne's lawyer, James E. Spence Jr. of Decatur, Payne frequently was left unsupervised in an apartment as a young teen after his parents divorced. A spate of criminal activity followed, with Payne racking up multiple felonies involving property crimes. Payne, now a 57-year-old resident of Snellville, acknowledged he had problems with drinking and drugs and committed a series of DUIs, but the most recent was 16 years ago.

According to Payne's Supreme Court brief, he has participated in 12-step programs for more than 20 years. He has visited treatment centers and jails to encourage people who are struggling with addiction.

Working in the information technology industry, Payne decided to apply to law school. He began at John Marshall but says he did so poorly due to working full time that he had to leave. He went on to attend a law school in Kentucky, but that school went bankrupt and shut down. He transferred to Southern Illinois University, from which, he says, he graduated with honors.

When he applied to SIU, Payne disclosed some, but not all, of his criminal history, inviting school officials to ask for more information if they wanted it. He continued to provide additional information to the school during the law school application process but didn't disclose some of his DUIs, according to the Supreme Court ruling. Later, when he applied to the Georgia bar, he disclosed all of his criminal history, according to his Supreme Court brief.

According to the Supreme Court ruling in the case, the bar fitness board was troubled not only by Payne's criminal record and omissions from his law school application but also by his answer to a question on the fitness application

The question asks if the applicant has any condition or impairment including substance abuse that if left untreated could affect his ability to practice law. Payne answered no. (Although not mentioned in the Supreme Court's ruling on the case, court papers show the board also was concerned about an incident in which Payne broke his ex-wife's nose; Payne told the board his wife was the aggressor in the matter, according to the board's Supreme Court brief.)

Gainesville attorney Thomas M. Cole, the attorney who acted as the bar fitness panel's hearing officer in the case, concluded that Payne's "no" answer to the question about impairments reflected an honest difference of opinion over whether participation in a 12-step program or periodic visits to a psychiatrist or psychologist is "treatment." He said it didn't suggest a lack of candor, given Payne had made clear in his communications to the board that he had a history of drug and alcohol problems. Cole recommended that Payne be allowed to take the bar exam, with his admission conditioned upon his continued active participation in 12-step programs and periodic monitoring.

But the fitness board denied Payne's application. When Payne appealed to the Georgia Supreme Court, the attorney general's brief for the board said the board doesn't have the authority to grant conditional certification of fitness, as Cole had suggested.

Again, the unsigned opinion of the Supreme Court favored the board. "Although Payne has made remarkable advances in his life in the past seven years," said the court, "the record reveals that he still has an inclination for misleading and evasive behavior regarding inquiries into his criminal past and his

medical issues which, at best, shows a complete lack of diligence and judgment, which goes to his fitness, and, at worst, a lack of

candor, which goes to his character. His lengthy and substantial history of criminal conduct coupled with his lack of complete candor during the law school application process and the bar application process evidence a lack of judgment and a failure of integrity, character, professionalism, and the requisite moral fitness required of prospective members of the Bar."

Interviewed after the court ruled, Payne said that he had known with his history there would be no guarantees in his quest to join the bar but had followed the rules in hopes of success. "I have practiced full disclosure for decades—with employers, associates and colleagues—and it was well before the family decision to pursue the law," said Payne.

He said he disclosed to bar admissions officials things they never could have found out otherwise, such as a marijuana relapse nine years ago that he said resulted in no criminal problems. Payne said he did a bad job of explaining to the board why he omitted things from his law school application. "I simply didn't believe that anything could be missing," he said. "In light of the magnitude, the volume and the comprehensiveness of what was disclosed, it would have made no sense to knowingly withhold anything."

According to his brief, Payne logged 14-hour round trip drives to be with his children and wife of more than 20 years most weekends when he was in law school out of state, and he said he has more than $100,000 in student debt. The denial of the chance to take the bar now won't hurt him financially, said Payne, because his goal of being a public defender carries a pay cut. He said he's applied to the bar in two states that allow conditional admission of the sort suggested by Cole. As for Georgia bar officials, he said, "I don't know of anything I can do in the next three years to change their opinion."

Law schools' reactions

Frank G. Houdek, associate dean for academic affairs at SIU, said school officials were disappointed when they learned Payne hadn't disclosed everything during the law school admission process but decided the late disclosures would not have changed their decision to admit him. "We felt it was worth a chance," said Houdek.

In the last five to seven years, said Houdek, bar admissions officials are looking more closely at applicants with troubled pasts. "I think the admissions committees are kind of saying, 'Let's not admit somebody who's got a problem,'" Houdek said.

In contrast with SIU's handling of Payne's case, John Marshall rescinded its support for Yunker's fitness application when Yunker informed the school of his criminal past, according to John Marshall Dean Richardson R. Lynn. The dean, who joined the school in 2006, said he didn't know for sure what students were told about candor on their law school applications when Yunker was admitted but doesn't think the Supreme Court's decision on Yunker was a close call.

But like Houdek, Lynn said his law school now alerts students during orientation to the importance of full disclosure on their law school admission submissions—and counsels a parade of students who wonder if they should make some changes.

Filling out their applications initially, said Lynn, some students think their "stupid college tricks" aren't serious enough to report, or erroneously believe a criminal misstep has been expunged.

"We give it to them with fire and brimstone," said Lynn. "The associate dean for academics is incredibly blunt, saying, 'We need to fix this now, because it's going to be a bigger problem if it lingers for three years and the board finds out about it.'"

Correction: This story reflects a correction for the following mistake: The story erroneously said John A. Payne had applied for admission in "the" two states that admit applicants with troubled histories if, for example, the applicants participate in addiction recovery programs. Payne did not suggest that the additional two states to which he has applied are the only two states that allow such conditional admissions.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

also Hidden your office is nicer than mine :saddowns:
At least you're not in the South?

There's a large anime convention every year in Atlanta at the end of September. 10-15k Gokus and Sailor Moons running all over the place.

http://www.awa-con.com/

I convinced my fellow first years that we should have lunch at the place hosting it today. Now I have pictures of them posing with Power Rangers and Naruto characters. What should I do with them?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Soothing Vapors posted:

P.S. future annarborites, don't rent from Group 5
Future annarborites, rent from Ali Amiri. He owns.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

HiddenReplaced posted:

At least you're not in the South?

There's a large anime convention every year in Atlanta at the end of September. 10-15k Gokus and Sailor Moons running all over the place.

http://www.awa-con.com/

I convinced my fellow first years that we should have lunch at the place hosting it today. Now I have pictures of them posing with Power Rangers and Naruto characters. What should I do with them?

Save them for 10 years then post them in the restroom over the urinal.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Well Im excited, taking on my first real clients against the Accident Compensation Corporation down under here in New Zealand.

So hungry for experience. Been working as a clerk part time for this legitimately cool small firm fighting for the little guy. The principal solicitor has the nickname "Satan" around ACC offices I hear.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Saga posted:

e: Loxbourne, my point (in case you didn't get it, but I'm probably just misreading) was this doesn't sound like generosity, it sounds like he wants to give you up to a "normal" salary with the option of paying you little or nothing if they don't have any work lying around for you.

Yes, hence my insistence on them paying a flat salary PLUS equity. Equity is nice and I don't mind a salary drop to include some, but my rent is non-negotiable. This is a good deal WITH a good base salary; a terrible deal without one.

I would hate to walk away from this, as I've been unemployed for a few months now (wasn't kept on after qualifying, alas), so I'll fight to keep it and drop my offer if I have to. But at the end of the day a job that doesn't pay enough for me to survive on (or makes financial survival dependant on someone else's mood swings) would be worse than no job at all.

I think there's also an element of these guys lowballing me at the start and expecting me to fight. So far everything I've asked for and defended against a few minutes of counterattacks, I've got. It's "just" the base salary left to sort out.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I wound up taking the bigger firm's offer. I guess that there are jobs but I'll probably die alone.

Lamdo
Jul 22, 2006
Can anyone tell me about studying tax law? I'm getting a bs in accounting and while I don't really need to be worrying about law school just yet as I have the CPA cert. to worry about first I'm just curious as to what it's like?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Lamdo posted:

Can anyone tell me about studying tax law? I'm getting a bs in accounting and while I don't really need to be worrying about law school just yet as I have the CPA cert. to worry about first I'm just curious as to what it's like?

Tax is a niche thing that weird people tend to like. To be good at tax law you really need to live and breathe it, so generally if you want to do tax law it's the only thing you're going to do and you better love it because of that.

Lots of goons like it. I really liked it, and I'm a crim guy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Lots of people on facebook don't like that I'm posting "Congratulations on taking the easiest test you'll take for the rest of your life" on their LSAT statuses today.

Sigh. Those poor bastards.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
1. Totally shut out with clerkships.
2. Two forthcoming publications this cycle.
3. Nothing to do as a 3L. It is glorious. I work out and play vids and watch football. If you play League of Legends add me (Sigmachiev2).

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Holland Oats posted:

I wound up taking the bigger firm's offer. I guess that there are jobs but I'll probably die alone.

Why?

It didn't sound like it was paying that much less and it seemed like you liked the other place more? Sometimes I think the real reason people are unhappy is that they all get caught up in the prestige war. Like all those people who were going to do public interest stuff, had opportunities to do public interest stuff, and still got caught up interviewing with big law firms and just promising themselves they would switch over "in a few years."

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Tax is a niche thing that weird people tend to like. To be good at tax law you really need to live and breathe it, so generally if you want to do tax law it's the only thing you're going to do and you better love it because of that.

Lots of goons like it. I really liked it, and I'm a crim guy.

I am taking it now and I am also a crim guy and I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Lamdo posted:

I ended up liking tax law a lot, and I was an English major, so take that as you will. It's really not much at all about numbers. It's more like logic games with the complex and intertwined workings of the tax code. It's a lot of fun when a tax class clicks into place.

As for studying it, it's just a handful of classes in law school, which are optional just like most classes after your first year (depending on school). Everything you see in this thread and in the OP applies. You don't need to specialize in an area or topic in law school (although some schools offer "certificates" to show you focused a bit, they are definitely not required). There are tax LLMs (arguably the only LLM potentially worth the money), but I don't know much about them other than the fact that only a few schools are worth considering. I think at least one person in this thread as a tax LLM, so they could tell you more about that. However, to get to that point, you still need to get through law school itself which, if you've spent even a little time in this thread, you should know is generally a Bad Idea.

I can't tell you too much about the tax law market as I've just graduated and was lucky enough to get a job offer from my 2L summer internship, but I believe it's just as bad as other areas of law. I do know that the IRS is generally swamped with applications these days, just like most federal agencies, so don't go in with an assumption that you use the government as a "fallback" (somehow people actually think this).