Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A random thought occurs: what's the highest rating any of you have ever given a movie?

Without looking it up, I'm fairly liberal with my scores, and I think Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 and Warrior both tied at 45.

Looking back, I still feel Warrior deserves it. Not sure if I still feel the same way about Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'm pretty sure the highest rating I've given was to The Social Network, and I'd say it's justified, because that movie is goddamn brilliant.

e: Yup, 45/50.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I believe Rango is my highest rated film to date with 45/50.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Everyone giving 45s out to good movies.

Also: I am climbing out of the Current Releases basement to ask what you all thought of the new TURD of the WEEK icon from last week's review. I've heard from some that they disliked it, but I figured I'd ask the readers to see what they think.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Also: I am climbing out of the Current Releases basement to ask what you all thought of the new TURD of the WEEK icon from last week's review. I've heard from some that they disliked it, but I figured I'd ask the readers to see what they think.

The turd was awfully realistic and detailed, which is a bit off-putting. A more stylized turd might work better.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I liked it because I wasn't expecting it so for a second I thought it was the movie of the week.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Did you edit it out? I only sort of vaguely remembered it but at Angela Christine's comment that it was too realistic I went back to look at it but it wasn't there.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Nucular Carmul posted:

Did you edit it out? I only sort of vaguely remembered it but at Angela Christine's comment that it was too realistic I went back to look at it but it wasn't there.

I believe it was removed, yes. This is what it looked like (Linked) http://i.imgur.com/gG4e0.png

The turd is one of those gag gifts, and I didn't anticipate how realistic it might look.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
On this week's How Did This Get Made(it's usually good for falling asleep to) podcast they had an interview with one of the writers of Skyline. It's somewhat interesting, especially finding out that the glowing brains from the end was apparently an MPAA mandate. Originally the filmmakers wanted normal looking brains with the protagonist's brain having the veiny look that came from exposure to the alien light. The interview starts at 36:19.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

I believe it was removed, yes. This is what it looked like (Linked) http://i.imgur.com/gG4e0.png

The turd is one of those gag gifts, and I didn't anticipate how realistic it might look.

Well at any rate, I think the Movie of the Week graphic is enough, the ratings speak for themselves usually. Although having a giant poop next to Taylor Lautner's face isn't exactly a bad thing.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
For the curious and carefree, Montague Smythe has somehow managed to acquire a twitter account. Do not follow @montysmythe, you'll just encourage him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

50/50 actually sounds pretty interesting. Just from watching the commercials I thought the plot was something like "Virgin gets cancer and his friend helps him use that to get laid before he dies."

Literally everything in the commercials that wasn't just establishing that the main character has cancer was about picking up women.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

The Moon Monster posted:

50/50 actually sounds pretty interesting. Just from watching the commercials I thought the plot was something like "Virgin gets cancer and his friend helps him use that to get laid before he dies."

I'm pretty sure there was a movie like that at one point.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a movie like that at one point.

Are you thinking of this?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
That's so much better than Fanboys, where a guy uses his terminal illness to watch Star Wars.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Jay Dub posted:

Are you thinking of this?

I don't *think* so. I'm remembering this mostly from a review in Roger Ebert's "I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie," which I haven't read in years.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Professor Clumsy posted:

For the curious and carefree, Montague Smythe has somehow managed to acquire a twitter account. Do not follow @montysmythe, you'll just encourage him.

Is that Ghost Rider peeing?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Clamknuckle posted:

Is that Ghost Rider peeing?

Yes it is.

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010
I really enjoyed the critique of Mr. Movie in today's edition. That guy is the epitome of lovely movie critics and I hope he responds with a poorly worded hissy fit.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Dalkalopagus posted:

I really enjoyed the critique of Mr. Movie in today's edition. That guy is the epitome of lovely movie critics and I hope he responds with a poorly worded hissy fit.

Well, the only way that would ever happen is if someone were to tell him about it. Apparently, Mr. Movie doesn't have an e-mail address, so the only way to do that is to comment on one of his reviews. We at Current Releases are not responsible if any of the readers choose to send our reviews on to whomever they choose.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

We at Current Releases are not responsible if any of the readers choose to send our reviews on to whomever they choose.

*hint hint*

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I liked the takedown, too, though I think it's funny that you picked a print critic when the internet reviewers that you can find on Rotten Tomatoes* are noticeably worse and sometimes borderline incoherent. If you guys need suggestions for people to make fun of, let me know.

* - I someday hope to be one of these reviewers. :(

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Sheldrake posted:

I liked the takedown, too, though I think it's funny that you picked a print critic when the internet reviewers that you can find on Rotten Tomatoes* are noticeably worse and sometimes borderline incoherent. If you guys need suggestions for people to make fun of, let me know.

* - I someday hope to be one of these reviewers. :(

But Gary Wolcott IS a Tomatometer-approved critic.

*We hope to be some of those critics as well.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

But Gary Wolcott IS a Tomatometer-approved critic.

*We hope to be some of those critics as well.

I think he just means the internet nutbags that somehow got themselves on RT.

We, fortunately, are not nutbags.*

*This is debatable.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I liked the extra section, and it could probably work as a somewhat regular thing. Being on the last page gives it an optional read kind of feel, and might appeal to those who say the reviews aren't "Something Awful enough."

I also want to say how much I enjoy the way you guys avoid puns for the most part. Entertainment journalism (hell, journalism in general) is slowly drowning in a deluge of low effort blogs where anyone anywhere can poo poo their opinions into the ears of anyone willing to listen, so your reviews are a refreshing breath of clean, pun free air.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Not only do I love how you avoid puns, I love how you point out how stupidly easy they look are when other reviewers use them.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Seriously, you have no idea how hard it was to avoid puns with Moneyball.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Ending my 50/50 review with a 'laughter is the best medicine' line really bugged me, because I simply couldn't figure out a way to end the review without saying it.

Vargo posted:

Seriously, you have no idea how hard it was to avoid puns with Moneyball.

I saved the conversation we had about that because one little exchange was just too good:

Vargo: Jonah Hill really does knock this one out of the park.

Jay Dub: Haha you did it again.

Vargo: DAMMIT THAT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A PUN.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 598 days!
I like the Current Releases and I read them every week, but I thought tearing into that Mr. Movie guy was a bit lame.

I mean he's a pretty tame print news movie critic. Over-analyzing his bullshit Bio and picking apart his sappy reviews comes across as more than a little mean-spirited and desperate and not particularly funny.

I could care less about Mr. Movie and his bland reviews, but I thought I’d share my honest opinion of this new segment to your column.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The more grandiose the self-given nickname is for a columnist, the more obnoxious that he is. It fits with Mr. Movie as well as Bill Simmons ("The Sports Guy").

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I think the writing has been high quality enough that they can justifiably rip into other people occasionally. Think of it as a public service to others to keep them away from bad reviewers! :v:

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
It's nice to know there's someone that can still make light entertainment that's actually uplifting rather than depressing and creepy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Dectilon posted:

It's nice to know there's someone that can still make light entertainment that's actually uplifting rather than depressing and creepy.

...Is he talking about us or Courageous?

Also, guys, we really appreciate all the feedback on the new segment. We were testing it out as a possible recurring segment or even a column on its own, and anything you have to say, good or bad, is helpful in that decision process.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y-Hat posted:

The more grandiose the self-given nickname is for a columnist, the more obnoxious that he is. It fits with Mr. Movie as well as Bill Simmons ("The Sports Guy").

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Vargo posted:

...Is he talking about us or Courageous?

Wait, you didn't review the human centipede 2 this week? Then what the hell have I been reading?!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Dectilon posted:

Wait, you didn't review the human centipede 2 this week? Then what the hell have I been reading?!
Funny thing: Current Releases gave me the amusing choice of reviewing Courageous or The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence). I'll never have a choice like that again.

Unfortunately, THC2 wasn't playing here. :(

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I don't want to stray too far off topic, but in regards to Vargo's comment about midwesterners only half-heartedly responding the Occupy Wall Street, here's a video of Des Moines protesters getting dragged away in cuffs and pepper sprayed.

I'd say that's a bit more than half-hearted.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Uh oh you both have anecdotal evidence who is right? :ohdear:

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Nucular Carmul posted:

Uh oh you both have anecdotal evidence who is right? :ohdear:
The guy with the YouTube clip, every loving day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Vargo posted:

Well, the only way that would ever happen is if someone were to tell him about it. Apparently, Mr. Movie doesn't have an e-mail address, so the only way to do that is to comment on one of his reviews. We at Current Releases are not responsible if any of the readers choose to send our reviews on to whomever they choose.

Vargo, thank you for this call-out. He is very terrible and yes he does reply with hissy fits if you comment negatively in his reviews.

The irony here is that Mr Movie is the reason I can't go to my local paper to get any kind of movie review that matters to me, and is why I rely on SA current releases for the same.

• Locked thread